PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Divers

hungry4adventure
04-08-2008, 11:14
I just finished the book "Shadow Divers." The book is about the discovery and eventual identification of a U-boat off New Jersey. It's probably the best book that I have ever read. It is a great story and is very well written. I would highly recommend it.

mwhities
04-08-2008, 11:32
It was a great book.

Now you need to read "Shadow Divers Exposed". :)

WV Diver
04-08-2008, 11:33
I agree, now read The Last Dive.

Zenagirl
04-08-2008, 11:40
John Chatterton and Richie Kohler are two of the nicest guys you could ever know. I've never met them in person, but after reading Shadow Divers I began an on-line friendship with John and he's been an amazing resource for me these past 4 years. A friend of ours participated in Dive Portal 2 (is interviewed on the DVD) and told us that he was fully prepared not to like these guys. He said it took him 5 minutes to realize how real they are and he really enjoyed spending a couple of weeks diving with them in the DR.

mike_s
04-08-2008, 13:31

Last dive was a little dissappointing after reading Shadow Divers. it just wan't written as well. but still worth reading.

mentalmarine
04-08-2008, 13:35
I have the last dive, just picked it up from the library today. I have a paper due tommorow so I will have to hold off untill thats done to read it. I finished SD in about a day, to good to put down.

WV Diver
04-08-2008, 14:46

Last dive was a little dissappointing after reading Shadow Divers. it just wan't written as well. but still worth reading.

Really. It was the opposite for me. But The Last Dive was the first scuba realted book I ever read and there were a lot of others before I read SD. That may be why.

Bigg_Budd
04-08-2008, 15:54

Then read Deep Descent.

mike_s
04-08-2008, 15:57
I guess I noticed 2 things about the Last Dive.

1.) Bernie kept referring to the "martini Rule" all the time. something like the diver was 100 feet deep, or 3 martini's, when he entered the wreck. It just got annoying.

2.) the book seemed to be too much about Bernie in some sections...

maybe it's just personal reading style, but I just didn't think it flowed as well as it should have. I have nothing against Bernie though. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all and I'm sure that I couldn't author it much better...

Then read Deep Descent.

Then read "No Safe Harbor" abou the Peter Hughes boat trajedy.

also, buy a copy of NOVA - Hitler's Lost Sub (http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-Hitlers-Lost-Sub/dp/B0002XVS7Y/ref=pd_sim_b_title_5). It's the documentary that started all these books and the Deep Sea Detectives series.

scubarobin
04-08-2008, 16:16
I read Last Dive, enjoyed it but it made me cry buckets full. :smiley19::smiley19::smiley19: Not so much for the main characters, but for all the others who also died. Very sad how so many of the icons of diving are gone and why.
I read Deep Descent, enjoyed it much more, only cried a little bit.:smiley19:
I read No Safe Harbor, enjoyed it, but it only made me angry. :smiley5: You have to read the book to understand why.

I recommend all 3 books. :smiley20:

Dark Wolf
04-08-2008, 20:13
Dark Descent is also a great book.

DW

aprilgoddess1987
04-08-2008, 21:08
diver down is another good one

emcbride81
04-09-2008, 11:18

I agree with that one, I just read it...I think every new diver should get that one right after they get OW...so maybe they won't pull some of the bonehead crap that those divers pulled. The story about the boyfriend who penetrated the wreck and got his girlfriend killed and caused paralysis to the DM that saved him ticked me off.

mike_s
04-09-2008, 12:22
I read No Safe Harbor, enjoyed it, but it only made me angry. :smiley5: You have to read the book to understand why.

One thing to note... though this book was based on facts of the sinking, it's also opinionated story of one of the survivors. one of the other survivors has stated that not everything was 100% accurate. Lots of other opinions on this issue also. we will likely never know the whole truth.

Another interesting read on it is the accident report, by IMMARBE (International Merchant Marine Registry of Belize )

see http://www.wavedancermemorial.com/Accident/IMMARBEReport.pdf

several "debated threads" on scubaboard about all this.

aprilgoddess1987
04-09-2008, 19:46

I agree with that one, I just read it...I think every new diver should get that one right after they get OW...so maybe they won't pull some of the bonehead crap that those divers pulled. The story about the boyfriend who penetrated the wreck and got his girlfriend killed and caused paralysis to the DM that saved him ticked me off.

I agree that was the one the hacked me off the most as well!

Shellback
04-09-2008, 22:15

DW
Just finished reading the book today and found it to be very well written !

Sounder
04-15-2008, 11:47

I agree with that one, I just read it...I think every new diver should get that one right after they get OW...so maybe they won't pull some of the bonehead crap that those divers pulled. The story about the boyfriend who penetrated the wreck and got his girlfriend killed and caused paralysis to the DM that saved him ticked me off. +1 more for this one!

Sounder
04-15-2008, 11:48
The Last Dive is another good one.

johnyringo
04-15-2008, 20:20
Dragon Sea is another good book, kinda slow in places but has a lot of good stuff about saturation diving.

Penguino
04-18-2008, 01:32
Does anyone have an extra copy of any of the books mentioned that they would be willing to part with for a small fee? You have all peaked my interest.

Flatliner
04-18-2008, 20:32
Does anyone have an extra copy of any of the books mentioned that they would be willing to part with for a small fee? You have all peaked my interest.

I can't speak for Dallas, but most of them are in my public library.

johnyringo
04-18-2008, 21:10

I'll check my library when I get home Penquino. Got any good books you'd like to swap?

Penguino
04-19-2008, 00:11

I'll check my library when I get home Penquino. Got any good books you'd like to swap?

Not of diving, sorry. I am just about a month out of certification so its all pretty new. The library is a good idea, I just always forget to return the books so I end up paying huge fines (.25 a day!!). It ends up being the same to buy used.

wopsushi
04-19-2008, 22:57
yeah, i agree, the last dive i read first and it kinda went with shadow divers, i enjoyed shadow divers much more i think cause i read last dive first. both are excellent reading.

allknighter237
04-24-2008, 14:41
i read the last dive before shadow divers and enjoyed both of them. the only thing about the last dive is that you knew it wasn't going to end well and i don't like having that in the back of my head when i read. i need happy stories! haha..regardless both books were very good and kept me on the edge of my seat, i guess diver down is next on my readying list!

Empacher
06-10-2008, 22:49
Shadow Divers was a great book

andyrent
09-03-2008, 12:30
Shadow Divers was a great book

Just finished Shadow Divers. As a new diver, I found the book fascinating.

I know this is an older post. I didn't want to start a new one. The book was very well written and have already recommended it to many.

I'll have to look into the other books that are posted in this thread.

peteg
09-03-2008, 12:53
Shadow Divers, Deep Descent, and The Last Dive are all books I read in like 2-3 sittings. Of the three Shadow Divers was the best; my non-diving dad also plowed through that book and loved it, and I didn't even reccomend it to him.

Swanny
10-15-2008, 13:29
It was a great book.

Now you need to read "Shadow Divers Exposed". :)

Yes, it should be mandatory reading as a companion piece, as there definitely was some rewriting of history done in the book "Shadow Divers". I really enjoyed "Shadow Divers", but Gentile brings to light some rather startling contradictions, errors and omissions in "Shadow Divers Exposed". Gentile's book is not nearly as entertaining of a read, but his research is superior. You can tell that Gentile has a lot of disdain for both Kohler and Chatterton, and that comes across clearly in the tone of his book.

mike_s
10-15-2008, 16:17
I think Gentile was more for publishing his ill will than he was for correcting errors that Kurson had in the real book.

History is rarely writen entirely accurately....

comet24
10-15-2008, 18:58
I think Gentile was more for publishing his ill will than he was for correcting errors that Kurson had in the real book.

I think someone nailed it one the head.

Swanny
10-20-2008, 08:22

Very true. However, Kurson took liberty with many of the facts in order to make Shadow Divers more entertaining and Gentile did a good job of pointing those out. I agree that the tone of his work clearly showed that he had an agenda, but that in and of itself doesn't mean that the inconsistencies that he pointed out are not credible. All you need to do is read Shadow Divers and The Last Dive and you will see many contradictions with regard to who did what during the Rouse accident.

Jay_SMART_Diver
10-20-2008, 09:57
Here's a link (http://forum.scubatoys.com/open-water-diver/12426-good-scuba-books.html#post165974) to a thread where I listed out books from my Dive Library if you're looking for other good reads.

mike_s
10-20-2008, 12:51

Very true. However, Kurson took liberty with many of the facts in order to make Shadow Divers more entertaining and Gentile did a good job of pointing those out. I agree that the tone of his work clearly showed that he had an agenda, but that in and of itself doesn't mean that the inconsistencies that he pointed out are not credible. All you need to do is read Shadow Divers and The Last Dive and you will see many contradictions with regard to who did what during the Rouse accident.

I agree with your on how Kurson wrote his book verses Gentile.

It's clear that Shadow Divers was written to be marketed to a large group of readers and it spent a long time on the New York Times best Seller List.

Gentiles book was definately not trying to target that audience. It's clear it was trying to target something else. But you'e right that it doesn't mean that some of the issues that he pointed out are not credible.

I read the Last Dive also... If it wasn't a book about diving and followed a lot of the same story lines that Shadow Divers did, I would have thrown it in the trash before I got half way through it. I personally just didn't care for his writing style and a lot of the metaphores he used to describe things.

As for the Rouse incident, they were very different and had contradictions as you pointed out. Like I said above, history rarely writen entirely accurately.

This was discussed this past year with Chatterton and he said that it happened as depicted by Kurson and that Chowdhury was incorrect.

An interesting thing to add to this was that also Chatterton said that Chowdhury interviewed him only briefly for the book. So it goes to show that not all authors research the same and go to the effort do double-check their facts and research.

reference Tonka97's Five Scenarios for John Chatterton - Page 4 - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/214034-tonka97s-five-scenarios-john-chatterton-4.html#post3278287)

I

Swanny
10-20-2008, 14:40

I agree with your on how Kurson wrote his book verses Gentile.

It's clear that Shadow Divers was written to be marketed to a large group of readers and it spent a long time on the New York Times best Seller List.

Gentiles book was definately not trying to target that audience. It's clear it was trying to target something else. But you'e right that it doesn't mean that some of the issues that he pointed out are not credible.

I read the Last Dive also... If it wasn't a book about diving and followed a lot of the same story lines that Shadow Divers did, I would have thrown it in the trash before I got half way through it. I personally just didn't care for his writing style and a lot of the metaphores he used to describe things.

As for the Rouse incident, they were very different and had contradictions as you pointed out. Like I said above, history rarely writen entirely accurately.

This was discussed this past year with Chatterton and he said that it happened as depicted by Kurson and that Chowdhury was incorrect.

An interesting thing to add to this was that also Chatterton said that Chowdhury interviewed him only briefly for the book. So it goes to show that not all authors research the same and go to the effort do double-check their facts and research.

reference Tonka97's Five Scenarios for John Chatterton - Page 4 - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/214034-tonka97s-five-scenarios-john-chatterton-4.html#post3278287)

I

The one thing that Gentile points out about the Rouse incident is that the videotape that was taken on the deck of the Seeker that day affirms what Chowdhury wrote in The Last Dive is a lot closer to what actually happened than what was written in Shadow Divers.

mike_s
10-20-2008, 15:02
That might be true.

I think 99% of us here haven't seen the video either. (me included). I wonder if it's posted online anywhere? (I doubt it is in respect of the victums and their families).

I would also say that in a life or death situation that people remember things differently. especially when you're getting blown to hell and back by a larger hovering helicopter on a rocking boat.

fire diver
10-20-2008, 16:01
I could really care less about the absolute minute details of the deaths of the Rouses. The book wasn't written about them, it was written about the search and naming of the U-boat. I can understand the people who knew the Rouses holding dearly the accounts of the tragic events, but for the rest of us, what does it matter?

Crimediver
10-20-2008, 16:34
It looks like there may be some interest by some of you to swap some dive books around. I pick up a lot of books at used book stores and often get multiple copies of dive books. Seems I might have extra copies of The Last Dive and Ship of Gold or similar books, assuming I can find them. I have piles of books everywhere. Anybody have a book they wanna swap? I would like to get a copy of No Safe Harbor.

Swanny
10-21-2008, 07:12
I could really care less about the absolute minute details of the deaths of the Rouses. The book wasn't written about them, it was written about the search and naming of the U-boat. I can understand the people who knew the Rouses holding dearly the accounts of the tragic events, but for the rest of us, what does it matter?

Because it was just happened to be one of the more dramatic examples of the inconsistencies in Shadow Divers that were pointed out by Gentile. Kurson took some liberties with the facts to make the book a more thrilling read. Not a big deal if you are writing a fictional account of historic events, but a completely different matter when you portray the book as being a true account of what actually happened.

MDDIVER
10-21-2008, 07:59
I did the book on tape kinda from Itunes. I took it with me on a long drive. It was a very good book and the readers voice was good it.

mike_s
10-21-2008, 10:12
I would like to get a copy of No Safe Harbor.

No Safe Harbor is a great book also. It'll make you think twice about ever booking a trip on a Peter Hughes boat.

But from what I understand there are instances of difference of opinion on what happened in a few cases with that book.

If you read that book, you should read the IMARBE report also. It's the offical report from Belize. (you can dowload it via PDF from the web).

fire diver
10-21-2008, 14:49

Because it was just happened to be one of the more dramatic examples of the inconsistencies in Shadow Divers that were pointed out by Gentile. Kurson took some liberties with the facts to make the book a more thrilling read. Not a big deal if you are writing a fictional account of historic events, but a completely different matter when you portray the book as being a true account of what actually happened.

But thats' my point. Ask any police detective; no two eye witness account will ever match 100% of ANY happening no matter how large or trivial. It's one piece of an entire book, based on eye-witness accounts. It doesn't change the finding of the wreck, the research, or the identification. They cold have left it out entirely, and although the story would have lost some of it's human-touch, it would still be the same story. IT DOESN'T MATTER.

elijahb
10-21-2008, 20:13
maybe we need a sub forum for books!?
Lots of books I would like to read listed here

mike_s
10-21-2008, 21:38
maybe we need a sub forum for books!?
Lots of books I would like to read listed here

not a bad idea....

georoc01
10-27-2008, 14:22
I read Last Dive before Shadow Divers, and personally found the former more riveting. Especially his personal account of being bent.

As far as the Rouses go, given their ascent and length of time at that depth, I doubt anything that went on topside would have saved either of them.

While none of these books on the Doria and the U-who may be totally historically accruate, it does give you a feel for some of the infancy of recreational wreck diving. It also gives you a respect for what's out there and how it can kill you.

Diver Down is must reading for anyone who gets certified. When my friends get certified, I push it on them.

jeepbrew
11-01-2008, 21:03

Not of diving, sorry. I am just about a month out of certification so its all pretty new. The library is a good idea, I just always forget to return the books so I end up paying huge fines (.25 a day!!). It ends up being the same to buy used.

Check Half.com. Most of the books listed here are available on Half for under $1 plus shipping.

LRDWILDER
02-10-2009, 18:23
I liked the book, I saw it as a good insight into the authors thoughts on the dives.....Overall I would have a friend read it if asked.

gbrdiver
02-18-2009, 05:50
I see Richie Kohler will be giving a few wreck lectures at the Sydney OZtek 2009 conference next month. If your in town, tickets and the schedule can be found here OZTeK Conference (http://www.diveoztek.com.au/)

DivingAnarchy.info
02-18-2009, 08:18
is that still the case? He has cancelled LIDS (London).

gbrdiver
02-18-2009, 20:26
Well, I hope so. The e-mail I got last week from the organisers claimed this to be the final schedule and was based on the fact that they had a few cancellations. Richie's name wasn't on that list however so here's hoping!

BubblesMcCoy
04-19-2009, 00:02

The better question is what does it really matter? The Rouses are gone. Gentile's piece came across as a bitter retort from someone who seemed to be fading from the lime light. I don't know any of the of individuals involved and probably never will. It's disappointing that Gentile spent his time grousing over someone else's story rather than writing something good and original of his own. Hopefully, he'll decide to turn his obvious talents toward a more dignified purpose.

All of the people involved have seen and experienced things that most of us will never be able to do first hand. I wish they would quit tattling on each other and simply share their experiences with the rest of us.

Dark Wolf
04-19-2009, 21:21
I am looking forward to the Shadow Divers movie. It is supposed to be out this year. I am hoping that it turns out well.

DW

fisheater
04-19-2009, 22:23
I'm hoping, too.

However, I'm almost ALWAYS disappointed by what Hollywood does with books that I really like.

BubblesMcCoy
04-20-2009, 08:02
I am looking forward to the Shadow Divers movie. It is supposed to be out this year. I am hoping that it turns out well.

DW

Any idea who's in it?

fire diver
04-20-2009, 08:10
I just looked at IMDB and they don't even list the actors.

mike_s
04-20-2009, 21:05
I don't even think the've started the shooting yet....

I'm doubtfull that it'll be out this year as post production work on top of shooting would make that hard.

I don't think this movie is a top priority of the studios at this time

BubblesMcCoy
04-21-2009, 07:59

I'm doubtfull that it'll be out this year as post production work on top of shooting would make that hard.

That's too bad. The book's got enough interesting events in to make a movie that's easy to follow. I'm not sure who he'd play, but if they can cast Ed Harris in the movie, I'd probably see it twice.

mike_s
04-21-2009, 09:36

That's too bad. The book's got enough interesting events in to make a movie that's easy to follow. I'm not sure who he'd play, but if they can cast Ed Harris in the movie, I'd probably see it twice.

There was an interesting (funny) thread over on Scubaboard where we were discussing who should play who...

check these out

John Chatterton / U-869 movie - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/270380-john-chatterton-u-869-movie.html)

Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard - Page 9 - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/212284-shadow-divers-john-chattertons-interview-scubaboard-9.html#post3903736)

here were some of the suggestions made

so.... lets ask this question? "Who would you choose?"

Here are some practical but humorous suggestions..

For John Chatterton, how about Chris Hanson from NBC Dateline & "To Catch a Predator", or Jeff Bridges?
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/chatterton.jpghttp://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/chris_hanson_vsml_9avsmall.jpghttp://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/jeff_bridges.jpg

For Richie Kohler, how about Ron Jeremy? :D
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/richie_kohler_250329.jpghttp://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/Ron_Jeremy_mod.jpg

For Gary Gentile, how about Tom Berenger?
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/gg2.jpghttp://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/Berenger_To88077325_150x200.jpg

For Steve Belinda (of the Wahoo), how about the guy who played Capt Kangeroo?
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/Steve.jpg http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/image595704x.jpg

mike_s
04-21-2009, 09:37
I don't have a good Bill Nagle, pic, but how about Willem Dafoe?
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/WillemDafoe.jpg
[/quote]

If Robert Kurson is actually in the movie, how about Wayne Knight who played "Newman" on Seinfield?
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/KursonRobert_3l.jpghttp://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/wayne_knight.jpg

Any other "good suggestions?" (or funny ones?) :D[/quote]

well also suggested in the past, by John and Richie themselves, was Danny Devito for Richie :rofl3:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/richie_kohler_250329.jpghttp://images.starpulse.com/Photos/pv/Danny%20DeVito-1.JPG

And MeatLoaf for Chatterton
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/chatterton.jpghttp://www.kitchengardeners.org/pics/meatloaf01.03.06.JPG

How about Omid Djalili from the Mummy as Richie?
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/richie_kohler_250329.jpghttp://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1999_The_Mummy/Thumb/999TMY_Omid_Djalili_008.jpg

.[/quote]

mike_s
04-21-2009, 09:37
one more... sorry I had to split up the replies, but they limit forum pics :-(

mike_s really nailed it. But ... maybe Jon Polito for Kohler? Just a thought.

pic of Jon Polito for comparison
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scubaboard/shadow_divers/richie_kohler_250329.jpghttp://industrycentral.net/content/actors/images/polito4.jpg

scubagirlj
04-22-2009, 22:16
amazon has all the books mentioned in previous posts- can get some of them used for a couple bucks

neogeo
04-23-2009, 02:44
The movie is on a list of 12,000 movies in production. I have yet to read the book but I think I am going to pick it up at the book store.

fisheater
04-23-2009, 11:38
The movie is on a list of 12,000 movies in production. I have yet to read the book but I think I am going to pick it up at the book store.

It's a GREAT read. Don't pass it up.

ScubaJ
04-23-2009, 11:50
It's a great read. Well worth the $ and time.

I wonder how many theatrical liberties they would have to take during the making of the movie.

Dark Wolf
04-23-2009, 12:43
You will enjoy the book, neo.

DW

neogeo
04-23-2009, 15:04
I am going to pick it up tomorrow, hope the book is as good as your reviews... I havent read a book since 2005.

deepcdiver
04-23-2009, 15:46
great read!

Crimediver
04-26-2009, 06:19

No Safe Harbor is a great book also. It'll make you think twice about ever booking a trip on a Peter Hughes boat.

But from what I understand there are instances of difference of opinion on what happened in a few cases with that book.

If you read that book, you should read the IMARBE report also. It's the offical report from Belize. (you can dowload it via PDF from the web).
Being a diver from Richmond I knew some of the folks from the Richmond Dive Club. I am friends with one diver who survived and have talked to him at length about the accident and what happened afterwards. Another diver I knew drowned. While there may be some different opinions of what happened, the judgement to have divers stay on the boat was a bad call. That is easy to say in hindsight because of what happened. But the way Hughes responded afterwards is the biggest reason not to go out with him.

kat
04-26-2009, 23:17
Interesting.

BubblesMcCoy
05-05-2009, 13:24

DW

Just finished Dark Descent and Diver Down. Really enjoyed Diver Down, Dark Descent was ok. I found Dark jumped around a great deal. Interesting story, but it could really benefit from some editing to streamline the flow of the material. Definitely worth reading though.

mike_s
05-05-2009, 14:29

Being a diver from Richmond I knew some of the folks from the Richmond Dive Club. I am friends with one diver who survived and have talked to him at length about the accident and what happened afterwards. Another diver I knew drowned. While there may be some different opinions of what happened, the judgement to have divers stay on the boat was a bad call. That is easy to say in hindsight because of what happened. But the way Hughes responded afterwards is the biggest reason not to go out with him.

Your comment above (in bold) is also a big reason I won't pay money to get on his boats....

UofTOrange
05-21-2009, 10:02
I just bought 5 new books. Way to make me spend more money on diving!

scubasavvy
05-26-2009, 19:26
Just bought Shadow Divers today. Looking forward to getting it soon. Is Shadow Divers Exposed something I should be looking into?

chicken
05-26-2009, 19:40
Shadow Divers Exposed is written by Gary Gentile, he has some good points but comes off as bitter and jealous. It is a good read if you liked Shadow Divers.

Gentile also has several other great books about adventure and diving. Some of my favorites are The Lusitania Controversies 1 and 2, Wreck Diving Handbook, and the Popular Dive Guide Series.

mike_s
05-26-2009, 22:13
Just bought Shadow Divers today. Looking forward to getting it soon. Is Shadow Divers Exposed something I should be looking into?

Gentile has written some great books.....

but Shadow Divers Exposed is just a book full of bitterness. don't line his pockets and feed his bitterness more on this book.

UofTOrange
05-28-2009, 08:26

Gentile has written some great books.....

but Shadow Divers Exposed is just a book full of bitterness. don't line his pockets and feed his bitterness more on this book.

read it recently and it really is odd. Seems completely unnecessary

BubblesMcCoy
05-28-2009, 09:19
Shadow Divers Exposed is written by Gary Gentile, he has some good points but comes off as bitter and jealous. It is a good read if you liked Shadow Divers.

Gentile also has several other great books about adventure and diving. Some of my favorites are The Lusitania Controversies 1 and 2, Wreck Diving Handbook, and the Popular Dive Guide Series.

I'd love to check out his other books, but I'm hesitant after seeing the tone and pettiness of SD Ex. Do his other books suffer from the same problems?

pir8
06-06-2009, 07:10
He has written some great books on dive sites up and down the East Coast. There are 3 on NJ alone that have been standards on most Jersey Dive Boats for years

tk trekers
06-06-2009, 09:14
I bought Shadow Divers recently and cracked it open for the first time last Sunday. Read the entire book in one day, for some reason I just couldn't put it down.

This week I read Diver Down. Stupid is as stupid does? Very tragic.

Getting ready to start reading Scuba Diving the Wrecks and Shores of Long Island, NY. I'm going up to my sister's house on Long Island this summer for the baptism of my nephew and while I don't think I'll have the opportunity to dive, it still pulls at me knowing that stuff is out there.

Tassie Diver
06-08-2009, 04:37

I'd love to check out his other books, but I'm hesitant after seeing the tone and pettiness of SD Ex. Do his other books suffer from the same problems?

I enjoyed Gentile's Technical Diving Handbook. It's a little dated now, but some of the principles will always be valid. I've not read any of his others, but if Wreck Diving Handbook is similar, it's the gospel according to Gary.

The thing to remember is he was there during a lot of the development of what is now considered standard operating procedure for tech divers, so he's entitled to his opinions. Worth a read.