PDA

View Full Version : The horrors of the instant buddy system

aprilgoddess1987
04-08-2008, 20:23
on a recent dive charter I was paired with a diver that refused to dive with me because I wasn't a dir diver and would know how to be a proprler buddy because I have a octo/BCD inflator and I had a pair of blue and yellow fins I'm I over reacting or I'm I a horrible diver for using what is comfortable to me

RikRaeder
04-08-2008, 20:25
It sounds like they did you a favor. I wouldn't want to dive with a p***k like that either! You aren't overreacting, but it sounds like someone was ;) Just be careful with those blue and yellow fins...they could kill somebody some day.

PS-I hope you found a REAL buddy and enjoyed your diving.

wolfen42
04-08-2008, 21:15
on a recent dive charter I was paired with a diver that refused to dive with me because I wasn't a dir diver and would know how to be a proprler buddy because I have a octo/BCD inflator and I had a pair of blue and yellow fins I'm I over reacting or I'm I a horrible diver for using what is comfortable to me

Sadly, In the Venn Diagram of Jerks and DIR divers there is an area of intersection. Sorry you had to meet one of them and it's really too bad that nobody who was there called them on it.

RikRaeder
04-08-2008, 21:17
Upon further reflection, what was a DIR diver doing on a charter relying on instabuddies? They just thought there would be another DIR diver on the boat to team up with? Methinks your friend was a poser.

frogman159
04-08-2008, 21:17
Jeez blue and yellow fins...I wouldn't dive with you either. :)

Penguino
04-08-2008, 21:33
Makes me glad that my wife is my permanent dive buddy

scbagrrl74
04-08-2008, 21:38
Sorry to sound like a novice, but what is a DIR diver?

LCF
04-08-2008, 21:39
I agree -- a GUE trained diver would either not go on a boat where he would be paired with an instabuddy, or would expect that such a person would be unlikely to be using DIR gear or following DIR protocols. More likely, you ran into someone who's adopted what he understands of the protocols, and what's he's seen of the attitude, which is unfortunately all too often haughty on line.

BTW, I'm pretty hard-core DIR, and I regularly try to dive with new divers, none of whom have even heard of DIR. And I don't give them a hard time about their gear, either.

UCFKnightDiver
04-08-2008, 21:52
As I understand it a DIR diver usually refers to a GUE trained diver but this is not what it necessarily means. DIR is a philosophy..... Do It Right.... They follow a strict setup of gear, and set of rules... mostly pioneered by GUE but anyone can be a DIR diver as long as they have the right state of mind, gear config, rules etc.... I am sure people could add to this but I am just giving a general idea of what DIR means

side note in the DIR philosophy there is one right way to do things, and everything else is wrong (the word stroke comes to mind) this is why alot of people dont like this philosophy. Online I have seen adopted the philosophy DW2 Do What Works

RikRaeder
04-08-2008, 22:40
DIR is a way of diving that strictly adheres to particular protocols regarding equipment (type and placement), gas use and management (what types, how deep, how long), and diver interaction (team roles, buddy duties, etc). As Rox noted, it's generally associated with the agency GUE.
I'm not a DIR diver (not interested), but they take the sport very seriously; some too much so, at least on online forums (and apparently some dive charters). That's what I've gathered online (checked into the agency classes and standards a bit myself) but I'm sure I've missed, misrepresented, or mis-spoken on at least one of the above points. It seems there are some non-***** DIR divers around here who can set you straight if you want to know more.

CompuDude
04-08-2008, 22:53
Stroke is word used in jest, or by jerks, plain and simple. There is no middle ground.

I agree that a DIR diver should either (1) be perfectly willing to dive with a recreational diver, in recreational gear, in a recreational context (most would be), (2) have brought their own buddy so they could dive in a way they feel is safe, with a like-trained buddy, or (3) not been on that boat in the first place, and thus just a DIR-poser.

I prefer to dive with DIR-trained divers when available, but I have no issues whatsoever with diving with a strictly recreational, either.

So in essence, the person you met was apparently a jerk, or someone who is very strict with his training guidelines (which actually is to be commended, although there was no need to be insulting about demurring to dive with you) and was somehow on the wrong boat. Unless their buddy didn't show up, in which case it's more their loss.

For the record, I am a GUE-trained DIR diver... but I am not fanatical about it, and as a working PADI DM, I work with divers all the time who have not had the opportunity to reach that level of training, so perhaps I have a different perspective than some. But most DIR-trained divers I know feel pretty much the same way I do, with very few exceptions.

So again, I'm left with the impression that the diver you met was simply a jerk, and not representative of the rest of the DIR crowd.

Caveat: I am assuming, of course, that we are indeed talking about a simple recreational dive well within recreational limits.

aprilgoddess1987
04-09-2008, 00:24
Just for the record I am not trying to bash dir just wanted to throw that out there

texdiveguy
04-09-2008, 00:30

Seeing that you have not filled out your ST bio information it is hard to get a feel for your diving background and experience....it does help to know a bit about who you are writing I think. :)

To your statement....I am sure the person you ran upon was just a knucklehead. Don't give it a second thought....enjoy yourself and the diving you do, there is always another dive buddy on all charters. I am not a fan of the instabuddy situation, so I try very hard not to find myself in those situations. I plan my diving around being with a known buddy or dive solo....if on the road and don't have a buddy for a chartered dive then I hook up with the crew and request a diver that may have similar expectations of the dive/s.

GUE...PADI...NAUI...TDI...SSI...SDI...to mention just a few are all training agencies with the same basic goal....to provide training materials and programing to aid in training of safe divers at all sorts of varying levels and protocols. **This DIR and GUE thing garnishes way to much attention on dive boards.

Keep up your diving and having FUN.....don't allow a few morons to spoil your time!

Safe and happy diving.

terrillja
04-09-2008, 00:37
I work with divers all the time who have not had the opportunity to reach that level of training
Or the desire to do DIR training. I understand why it exists, and some of its policies certainly do make every fiver more safe, such as permanent marking of the MOD on stages, and no metal to metal to diver connections of gear, but in other things I disagree. I understand why you would want to have a single piece of webbing as a harness, but with my (fairly) recently rebuilt shoulder, there are just motions that I can't do. With how long I spent after surgery and rehabbing it, I'd rather have a quickrelease buckle so I don't tweak my shoulder getting my bc on. I dive most of the time in a dry suit or heavy wetsuit, but I'd rather have pads on my bc for when I go to more tropical areas and am diving in just a rashguard.

I understand why some people feel compelled to take DIR classes, but I wouldn't say it is an opportunity to reach that level, I would say it's a decision to take that training.

CompuDude
04-09-2008, 02:05
I work with divers all the time who have not had the opportunity to reach that level of training
Or the desire to do DIR training. I understand why it exists, and some of its policies certainly do make every fiver more safe, such as permanent marking of the MOD on stages, and no metal to metal to diver connections of gear, but in other things I disagree. I understand why you would want to have a single piece of webbing as a harness, but with my (fairly) recently rebuilt shoulder, there are just motions that I can't do. With how long I spent after surgery and rehabbing it, I'd rather have a quickrelease buckle so I don't tweak my shoulder getting my bc on. I dive most of the time in a dry suit or heavy wetsuit, but I'd rather have pads on my bc for when I go to more tropical areas and am diving in just a rashguard.

I understand why some people feel compelled to take DIR classes, but I wouldn't say it is an opportunity to reach that level, I would say it's a decision to take that training.

You say tomato...

I have no issue whatsoever with your desire to include a quick release in your harness. I sometimes wish I had one... but the reality, for me, is that I don't really need one, and more importantly, I don't like the placement and how it interferes with other things I want to do with my harness.

So I sold my TransPlate, and I'm happier with my hog harness. If a quick release on the harness makes your diving better, however, more power to you.

For the record, my Fundies instructor said he had no problem with someone who wanted to take Fundies in a TransPlate or other similar harness. There were few hard and fast, non-negotiable gear requirements.

I doubt he would do a 300' dive with someone who insisted on wearing one, but I'll worry about that situation the day it comes up (if ever). Meanwhile, on recreational dives, an even some light technical dives, there's a bit more wiggle room than you might think.

For purely recreational dives, I really don't care what you wear, unless it's something I deem a danger to you and myself (and frankly, aside from poorly maintained or otherwise broken gear, I can't really think of anything in that category). Only in that case would I refuse to buddy up with someone based on gear.

cummings66
04-09-2008, 07:13
Reading the thread reminds me that there are all kinds of people out there, many of them are plain and simple, JERKS. I might have pointed out to this one what his shortcomings were and had some fun with it at the time.

If it ever happens to you again, give the guy a piece of your mind.

Then, next time here's what you do on a boat. Before they assign you a dive buddy, find your own. Be proactive, meet and greet before you get under way. Find that buddy before you board and when you get on the boat there is no reason to be teamed up with a stranger.

Zenagirl
04-09-2008, 07:14
Let's just be real here for a second....there are jerks and idiots everywhere. AprilGoddess clearly ran into one on a dive charter. Whether they were actually DIR or not doesn't really matter, the person was just a jerk.

I like the DW2...that's me! :)

oddbod
04-09-2008, 09:29

Hi
I've had the same problem a couple of times before, in both cases it was the octo/BCD inflator that they were worried about, I've solved the problem with a 36" long hose on my primary. Now i explain that if the wankers :smiley20: run out of air they can easily grab that.:smiley36:

EuphoriaII
04-09-2008, 11:46
I've always been paired with decent buddies but I've seen some on the charters that I would not want to get paired with (I'm not a DIR, just normal recreational diver)

Sounder
04-09-2008, 12:00
Sorry to hear about your experience... that stinks.

I've declined to dive with people twice. I didn't feel the need to tell them that being DIR had anything to do with it. In fact, I enjoy diving with all sorts of people and while I would prefer to dive with another DIR diver if possible, I'm willing to get in the water with just about anyone. It's my decision what to take with me and what profile I'm willing to do. With a non-DIR insta-buddy I would limit my depth to 60fsw to ensure I'm within CESA range and would probably sling a 40cu' bottle as a redundant gas option.

Bottom line, I dive DIR - it works best for me and makes the most sense to me. I enjoy the community, I enjoy the comfort I feel in the water, and I especially enjoy the exploratory drive.

The DIR philosophy doesn't include having a bad attitude. Hopefully, with some of the folks around here, you'll see that DIR jerks are a small minority of DIR divers... and remember, there are just as many non-DIR jerks out there too.

If you'd like to know more about Unified Team Diving, I'm always happy to share what I know and point you in the right direction for questions I don't know the answer to.

UCFKnightDiver
04-09-2008, 13:35
If you'd like to know more about Unified Team Diving, I'm always happy to share what I know and point you in the right direction for questions I don't know the answer to.

Forgot to mention that DIR does really stress the Team Diving concept, and is very big on Dive planning

Sounder
04-09-2008, 13:54

Forgot to mention that DIR does really stress the Team Diving concept, and is very big on Dive planning

Yes, the TEAM idea is critical in DIR diving. Dive planning is also done as a team. I find that I really have come to enjoy my dives much much more knowing that my team is doing it together.

When I can't plan and do a dive with a member of my regular team, my plan changes to a much more conservative profile with more self-rescue options. Of course I mean no offense to the person I'm paired with - it's just that I don't know them, haven't trained with them, and am not keen on doing an aggressive profile with an unknown entity.

texdiveguy
04-09-2008, 14:06
When I can't plan and do a dive with a member of my regular team, my plan changes to a much more conservative profile with more self-rescue options. Of course I mean no offense to the person I'm paired with - it's just that I don't know them, haven't trained with them, and am not keen on doing an aggressive profile with an unknown entity.

This is a good 'universal' approach that many of us take regardless of your training agency/s and certf./experc. level....always best to do a few dives to get the feel for your new found dive partner.

Sounder
04-09-2008, 14:27

This is a good 'universal' approach that many of us take regardless of your training agency/s and certf./experc. level....always best to do a few dives to get the feel for your new found dive partner.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. This isn't an agency thing, this is a me thing.

thor
04-09-2008, 14:38

Lay off of the Kool-Aid everyone. I'll dive with you anytime AprilGoddess.

And yes, instabuddies can be hit or miss. Don't blame yourself. Next time that happens, just ask th DIR guy if you can borrow his snorkel, and watch as his head explodes.

CompuDude
04-09-2008, 14:44

And yes, instabuddies can be hit or miss. Don't blame yourself. Next time that happens, just ask th DIR guy if you can borrow his snorkel, and watch as his head explodes.

That's a pretty insulting statement. Just as intolerant as the jerk on the boat.

thor
04-09-2008, 14:58

That's a pretty insulting statement. Just as intolerant as the jerk on the boat.

Oh c'mon compudude. Have a sense of humor. I know its somewhere, and not at risk of entanglement.

CompuDude
04-09-2008, 15:20

Oh c'mon compudude. Have a sense of humor. I know its somewhere, and not at risk of entanglement.

I definitely have one. Comments like "lay off the kool-aid everyone" are not the way to appeal to it, however, after a number of people (myself included) went to great lengths to describe that DIR <> jerk.

Sounder
04-09-2008, 15:22
The DIR philosophy doesn't include having a bad attitude. Hopefully, with some of the folks around here, you'll see that DIR jerks are a small minority of DIR divers... and remember, there are just as many non-DIR jerks out there too.

Yup. :116:

david_57
05-31-2008, 22:02
Dont sweat it that DIR GUE diver type would have spent more time trying to look good underwater and probably messed up your dive

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
06-01-2008, 06:57
I wouldn't do any dive with an insta-buddy that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing solo. I'd also respect his or her limits as well. As long as the equipment looks safe I don't care about the config. I dive a Hog harness and long hose these days. Others can dive whatever they want.

diver-wife
06-01-2008, 09:57
I would forget about that person, in all areas of life there are jerks, you found one, I do not know any hardcore DIR divers, there are many ways to "do it right" and what works for one, does not work for another. I would not want to be buddied up with a person like that, you know two different color finds can lead to death

easyrider003
07-01-2008, 21:45
I have never been crazy about instabuddy diving. And when I do have an instabuddy, they always go off on their own and it is basically solo diving seems like

Souvy
07-02-2008, 00:55
That's a pretty awful experience. I'm also not a fan of instabuddies and have had some pretty dreadful ones. I did used to dive with some DIR guys when I was back in NYC and they were awesome. They were very laid back, were interested in talking about it, but not at all pushy or condescending despite my yellow fins and all.

So far as I've seen, divers as a whole are really an incredible group of people, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Use what you like, chalk it up to a bad day, and forget about it. Hope the next one goes better

cowgirldiver
07-02-2008, 09:43
I guess the reality of the situation is that if you don't have a regular buddy or a group you dive with all the time, you're going to end up with an insta-buddy now and then. It's happened to me several times and I guess I've just gotten lucky. I think the important thing is that when you are in an insta-buddy situation, be as good a buddy yourself as you can. Hopefully the good insta-buddies outweigh the bad. There are way too many places to still dive to not go because you don't have a particular person to go with. Life is short.....

Martin2
07-02-2008, 10:24
True. And I'm sorry to see this made into a DIR thing when in reality is sounds like the guy was just a jerk and would have been so regardless of his affiliation or not with DIR.

oddbod
07-03-2008, 05:57
I guess the reality of the situation is that if you don't have a regular buddy or a group you dive with all the time, you're going to end up with an insta-buddy now and then. It's happened to me several times and I guess I've just gotten lucky. I think the important thing is that when you are in an insta-buddy situation, be as good a buddy yourself as you can. Hopefully the good insta-buddies outweigh the bad. There are way too many places to still dive to not go because you don't have a particular person to go with. Life is short.....
Fully agree, having an aquaphobic wife I become an insta-buddy a lot, the good definitely outweigh the bad and after the post dive drinkies:fulle:, the bad become funny and make for good stories. :smiley36:
P.S. I hope I'm a good one. :comic11:

MConnelly2
07-03-2008, 20:53

Kool-Aid comment - uncalled for, sure. But the snorkel part WAS kinda funny...not in a sweeping generalization of all those with a firm belief in standardization (works for SAR, why not for diving), but in a sweeping generalization of people who act like the subject in question did.

Splitlip
07-03-2008, 21:08
good definitely outweigh the bad and after the post dive drinkies:fulle:, the bad become funny and make for good stories. :smiley36:
P.S. I hope I'm a good one. :comic11:Wait..are you gonna tell me Aussies enjoy an adult beverage now and then?

oddbod
07-04-2008, 07:40
good definitely outweigh the bad and after the post dive drinkies:fulle:, the bad become funny and make for good stories. :smiley36:
P.S. I hope I'm a good one. :comic11:Wait..are you gonna tell me Aussies enjoy an adult beverage now and then?

Definitely not, we are well past now and then, it is our national pastime you know.:drankere: I personaly gave up drinking when I discovered guzzling.:drinkA:

cummings66
07-04-2008, 10:00
Sounds like a harmless pastime and hobby.

Sansho
07-04-2008, 10:43
It's good there was that discussion on the surface. Sounds like a jerk, so I wouldn't take it personally. If there's a reason you or your instabuddy isn't comfortable with the other, making a switch before getting in the water is a good thing.

Rileybri
07-04-2008, 11:26
On a recent six pack dive boat charter ,of the three buddy teams (all insta-buddy's) only one team (mine and the two newest divers on the boat) was able to actually make the dive to the wreck. I got lucky with my buddy and we kept cool and kept to our plan. The other four early exits were all results of human error factors not weather current or viz. So far im 1 for 1 and the odds are stacked against me now! :smiley2:

caroln
07-04-2008, 12:04
I personally would not dive with someone who I didn't feel was a safe diver or was using safe gear because they and their gear are my backups if there is an emergency. That being said, safe doesn't necessarily mean the same as mine, or what I think is best, and I wouldn't feel the need to put them down for their choices either.

Splitlip
07-04-2008, 15:32
I personally would not dive with someone who I didn't feel was a safe diver or was using safe gear because they and their gear are my backups if there is an emergency. That being said, safe doesn't necessarily mean the same as mine, or what I think is best, and I wouldn't feel the need to put them down for their choices either.

Agree completely. When I am diving charters by myself I normally avoid instabuddies because I don't like something I see. I then avoid eye contact. :)
Have to admit, yesterday I blew of my 1st dive after 5 minutes and surfaced.
It was weird conditions. It was a drift dive. Current on the bottom was faster than the top. We were being dropped on the 1st of a series of 3 wrecks and the vis was less than 15. The wreck was not visible. Very strange. Sand was blowing around.
I was by myself so I said "SEE YA" to nobody in particular as I could see nobody else.

jimmysdevoted
07-04-2008, 16:59
first i never knew what DIR was.. thanks to everyone who helped me to undersatnd.
my hubby had an experience with someone who was not trained DIR but was overt in his need to be in charge and to do everything in my words.. anal retentivly. It ruine dteh dive on so many points.
The man is a good diver just abit too exacting... if you catch my drift.

wew were planning on taking a charter next time we go to OBX and now that I amreading about insta buddies, it amkes me wonder if arranging for families who dicve and know each other woudl be abtter off than taking a chance on getting someone like dentist dude( another post) or a wannabe DIR.....

julie

digitalman
07-05-2008, 22:36

If you don't feel comfortable, don't dive with them. If it's that you just don't understand their equipment, ask. If they can't answer your question, maybe they shouldn't be in the water.

diver 85
07-09-2008, 15:24

From what I've read and witnessed you got a typical DIR diver---> his/her head up the rear syndrome......

CompuDude
07-09-2008, 15:29

From what I've read and witnessed you got a typical DIR diver---> his/her head up the rear syndrom......

Are you sure that wasn't the mirror you were looking at?

The guy was a jerk, nothing more. His diving philosophy has nothing to do with it.

Swanny
07-09-2008, 15:36

From what I've read and witnessed you got a typical DIR diver---> his/her head up the rear syndrom......

Some DIR divers are that way, but most aren't. Just depends on how closely they follow the scriptures of folks like George Irvine and the like. Listen to him talk about "strokes" sometime on a DIR video and tell me he isn't just a tad bit overly self-righteous.

CompuDude
07-09-2008, 15:43

Some DIR divers are that way, but most aren't. Just depends on how closely the scriptures of folks like George Irvine and the like. Listen to him talk about "strokes" sometime on a DIR video and tell me he isn't just a tad bit overly self-righteous.

GI3 was an ass, and so are those who follow his [poor] example. Fortunately he hasn't had anything to do with GUE or DIR for years. He only occasionally pitching in with the WKPP project at this point. He was heavily involved in the early days of developing the system, much to the chagrin of the more normal and tolerant people, but at this point, showing him to be an example of what DIR divers are is akin to comparing a modern car to a Model T. Yes, there are similarities, but it's really not a fair comparison.

Swanny
07-09-2008, 15:46

Some DIR divers are that way, but most aren't. Just depends on how closely the scriptures of folks like George Irvine and the like. Listen to him talk about "strokes" sometime on a DIR video and tell me he isn't just a tad bit overly self-righteous.

GI3 was an ass, and so are those who follow his [poor] example. Fortunately he hasn't had anything to do with GUE or DIR for years. He only occasionally pitching in with the WKPP project at this point. He was heavily involved in the early days of developing the system, much to the chagrin of the more normal and tolerant people, but at this point, showing him to be an example of what DIR divers are is akin to comparing a modern car to a Model T. Yes, there are similarities, but it's really not a fair comparison.

Don't kid yourself, he is still highly revered by some DIR disciples to this day. I think the guy that the other poster ran into is probably one of them.

CompuDude
07-09-2008, 16:04

Don't kid yourself, he is still highly revered by some DIR disciples to this day. I think the guy that the other poster ran into is probably one of them.

Could very well be, but it's still not fair to make broad statements about an entire class of divers based on one jerk and his little group of sycophants who are WAY outnumbered by perfectly reasonable people.

George just doesn't dive very much these days. JJ is carrying the main torch... and he's a LOT more laid back than George.

Swanny
07-09-2008, 17:04

Could very well be, but it's still not fair to make broad statements about an entire class of divers based on one jerk and his little group of sycophants who are WAY outnumbered by perfectly reasonable people.

George just doesn't dive very much these days. JJ is carrying the main torch... and he's a LOT more laid back than George.

Which part of my original post in which I said, "some DIR divers are that way, but most aren't" didn't you get?

Seriously, I didn't make any broad statements about all DIR. I am singling out the ones that believe that DIR is the only way to dive safely and come across like Kool-Aid drinkers. Luckily, these are a very small, albeit very vocal, minority of the overall DIR discipline.

Splitlip
07-09-2008, 17:10
I have never met a GUE diver in person who was a prick, by any means. I had a slightly heated discussion with a manager of the local GUE shop here about an HP hose. I wanted a 26" for my singles rig. He told me "no, the HP hose IS 24". (maybe for doubles). But I was mostly the heated one :). All they stocked was 24.
The only "DIR" pricks I have "met" were on forums. For all I know they they were not even GUE.
When I was with the PBC Reef Research Team, we had one "DIR" GUE certified diver. He was nothing less than terrific to be around and a wealth of information. Darn good diver too.

I have heard some of GI3's rants. Glad to see CD's comments. I think JJ is more easy going. Hell, there is even a pic around somewhere of him ocean diving with a Halcyon DSMB cliped off to waist d-ring.

Splitlip
07-09-2008, 17:17
To Swanny's rescue:)

You never see PADI or Naui or SSI sycophants. :)