PDA

View Full Version : Pony bottle placement

aprilgoddess1987
04-09-2008, 01:26
I am wanting to get either a 13 cut or a 19 cut pony but not sure about the
placement I k ow most 13 cuffs are attached to you main tank but is there any place else you could put a 19 cut other than slinging it

CompuDude
04-09-2008, 02:08
Is there a problem with slinging it?

MSilvia
04-09-2008, 06:52
Is there a problem with slinging it?
I was going to ask the same thing. I've tried half a dozen different ways to mount stage/pony/deco tanks, and it's definitely the one I like best.

For the record, I've tried mounting to the tank, quick release tank mounting, mounting to a backplate, clipping to a D-ring, and slinging.

No Misses
04-09-2008, 08:15
I have my pony attached to the side of my primary cylinder. It is mounted upside down so that I can reach back and turn on the gas. I use the Quickdraw II mount. It is available from Scuba Toys (first item that I bought from ST).

The Zeagle mounting straps work well. They hold the pony closer to your main cylinder.

A 2 lb weight, placed oposite the pony, helps with trim issues.

turtle_guy
04-09-2008, 12:58
My 19 is between my wing and my pockets. Look at the last mounting option on this system and you'll see what I mean.
http://zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=RedundantAirSystems&src=gendocs&link=Redundant_System_20_cu_ft&category=Accessories

aprilgoddess1987
04-09-2008, 19:33
thanks everyone this has really helped I'm waiting on my 19 cuff to come in my lds didn't have any so they had to order it

navyhmc
04-09-2008, 20:27
I have a 19 cu ft that I tried slinging with fair positive results. I'm also giving thoughts to attaching it to the tank a little high to see if that will help with the balance of the tank as well.

cummings66
04-09-2008, 22:34
I've got a buddy who's attached one to his main tank, it looks kind of like a double but it's not. Just a pony.

Personally, I like it slung.

Grin
04-10-2008, 08:47
I've been diving a 13 attached to my tank for about two years now and I dont know it's there. I can see no reason to sling it, unless your using it for a stage bottle or tech diving. If in open water, and using it for a emergency bail out bottle, I say stick it on your back where you don't know it's there. If your BC/BP-Wing settup has two tank straps the Zeagle pony straps are nice. If your tank strap is a single strap config, that Quickdraw rig is nice. I have a Quickdraw that I don't use anymore, if anyone wants it make a offer. Any reasonable offer(like 1/2 of new price) not refused.

Black-Gorrilla
04-27-2008, 12:55
i have a 30 that i sling... have the 2nd. on it clipped off and the hose bungee down... i need to add a pressure gauge to this (i check it before i use it)

JFH
05-08-2008, 14:59
I have the same setup as No Misses...attached upsidedown to my main tank. Works for my application.

fire diver
05-08-2008, 15:09
I have a 20 that is slung on my left side. Since I am currently only training with one deco gas, I like to carry a pony in the same config during rec dives. Keeps me up on all my pre-dive checks, and in-water procedures.

spatman
05-08-2008, 15:11
this is all great info. i don't carry a pony... yet...

keep it coming. anyone got any pics of their setups?

:smilie40:

mm2002
05-11-2008, 19:18
Funny I'd read this thread! I just made this mount today. After trying a few methods, this one (I think) will work out best for me. Wide stainless band that bolts directly to the plate. A strap (also bolted to the plate) and a fastex clip make it easily removable. The strap goes around the neck of the bottle. The band is made just a tad larger than the bottle, so the bottle comes out pretty easily, but doesn't wiggle around. Total price, 9 bucks not including the cost of all the other mounts that I just threw in the trash.....:smiley5:

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/pony2.jpg

Daved
05-11-2008, 19:30
Nice, clean simple! Well done

fire diver
05-11-2008, 19:33
Looks nice. You might need to bolt a pound or two onto the other side if it tries to roll you. Have you put it on to check hose routing and length?

mm2002
05-11-2008, 19:43
Looks nice. You might need to bolt a pound or two onto the other side if it tries to roll you. Have you put it on to check hose routing and length?

No, I haven't worked on trim weighting, or hose routing yet. I'll let you know what I come up with in the next couple of weeks. I'm thinking 2 lbs on the other side of the plate, and I'll coil the hose on bungees on the pony. The whole rig is new to me, so I have a lot of work to do.

skdvr
05-12-2008, 19:12
Funny I'd read this thread! I just made this mount today. After trying a few methods, this one (I think) will work out best for me. Wide stainless band that bolts directly to the plate. A strap (also bolted to the plate) and a fastex clip make it easily removable. The strap goes around the neck of the bottle. The band is made just a tad larger than the bottle, so the bottle comes out pretty easily, but doesn't wiggle around. Total price, 9 bucks not including the cost of all the other mounts that I just threw in the trash.....:smiley5:

Looks nice...

I am going to be down your way in July for a week, and with my wife being pregnant I will be looking for a buddy. I will let you know for sure when I will be down there and we will have to get together this time...

Phil

mm2002
05-13-2008, 11:57

Looks nice...

I am going to be down your way in July for a week, and with my wife being pregnant I will be looking for a buddy. I will let you know for sure when I will be down there and we will have to get together this time...

Phil

Definitely get in touch with me Phil, the lake should be in pretty decent shape by July. I might even have my rig figured out by then! :smiley36:

mm2002
05-13-2008, 12:05

About trim weighting.....if the 13 is -2.1 by itself, then 2 lbs would probably be about right, but the reg adds about another 2 lbs (dawned on me last night when I got the reg put on). Wouldn't I want to start with 4 lbs on the opposite side of the plate? That brings me to the total weighting issue, as I normally dive with 12 lbs. The plate and STA weighs -6, the pony -2 (full), and the reg -2, and the counterweight would be -4. Add to that the lack of buoyance I had with my BC, and I may be a tad over weighted? Am I thinking correctly?

CompuDude
05-13-2008, 13:05

About trim weighting.....if the 13 is -2.1 by itself, then 2 lbs would probably be about right, but the reg adds about another 2 lbs (dawned on me last night when I got the reg put on). Wouldn't I want to start with 4 lbs on the opposite side of the plate? That brings me to the total weighting issue, as I normally dive with 12 lbs. The plate and STA weighs -6, the pony -2 (full), and the reg -2, and the counterweight would be -4. Add to that the lack of buoyance I had with my BC, and I may be a tad over weighted? Am I thinking correctly?

Yes, you might be overweighted... and you'll definitely want to consider some weight redistribution if you find yourself being pulled to one side by the uneven weight.

One thing you have to keep in mind, however, is the empty weight is different from the full weight. If you want to be able to control your ascent, you need to weight yourself for the empty weight (or nearly empty), since you'll be breathing it down over the course of your ascent. In addition, pony's are sometimes passed off to an OOA diver. (That's one reason to have one) If you have counted on the weight of the tank for your buoyancy, if you pass it off you'll be underweighted.

This is one reason why people pass on pony's and just go to doubles when they need redundancy... it gets complicated!

mm2002
05-13-2008, 15:43
Yes, you might be overweighted... and you'll definitely want to consider some weight redistribution if you find yourself being pulled to one side by the uneven weight.

One thing you have to keep in mind, however, is the empty weight is different from the full weight. If you want to be able to control your ascent, you need to weight yourself for the empty weight (or nearly empty), since you'll be breathing it down over the course of your ascent. In addition, pony's are sometimes passed off to an OOA diver. (That's one reason to have one) If you have counted on the weight of the tank for your buoyancy, if you pass it off you'll be underweighted.

This is one reason why people pass on pony's and just go to doubles when they need redundancy... it gets complicated!

That really makes a lot of sense, and there are some points there that I hadn't thought about. If I have to use the pony, it means my main tank is empty (or well on its way), and I'm going to be draining the pony (further adding to my buoyancy), so add that total buoyancy to the equation when weighting. If I hand the pony off to my buddy, there just went at least 4 lbs of my weight, so I need to consider that also. So, what I'm thinking now is that maybe (with this setup) I NEED to be about 4 lbs "overweighted". I'm going to do some pool time Thursday, so I'm going to consider all this, and work on it.

cummings66
05-13-2008, 18:49
A small cylinder isn't that positive when empty. If you're perfectly neutral you may find with an empty pony that you're light, but a lb more negative would be fine for a small pony. It really isn't that much.

The best test would be at the end of your dive when you can easily test it out and ignore the published figures.

fire diver
05-13-2008, 19:51
The best test would be at the end of your dive when you can easily test it out and ignore the published figures.

Yep, just play with it. When I first started with my pony, I leaned a little to the left during the dive. I SHIFTED 2 pounds from the left side to the right. Notice that I didn't add more wieght, I just repositioned what I was already carrying.

This may or may not work for you. I was diving with a 7mil which required about 12 pounds of lead.

wmspdi
05-13-2008, 23:43
I have a 19cf pony rigged as a stage bottle clipped off to my left shoulder "D" ring and have no problems with it getting in the way. I can see the SPG and regulator at all times and know it is not free flowing. I can get to the second stage and valve quickly in an emergency. I can quickly unclip it and hand tank off to another diver if needed. But most important to me is if I get caught on something underwater (I am a public safety diver frequently in near zero visibility conditions) I can ditch my rig and breathe the pony bottle to the surface.