PDA

View Full Version : Split vs Blades fins: What is your preference?

deepdiver47
08-02-2007, 10:06
Notice how I said preference!

I for one have been using spilts for 3 years now and just this week tried my blades back on and WOW, so much work.

I have a motive for asking this question, I am looking to but Apollo Bio fins with my GC, anyone have these?

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 10:18
I like both but I use paddles both wet and dry since I find it easier to frog kick with them. I had tried bio-fins for my drysuit and liked how they were constructed but they wouldn't fit my boot so I had to go with turtles.

My wife swears by her splits.

rubberduck
08-02-2007, 11:39
I have the apollos and love them. Definately get the spring straps.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 11:41
I've been diving splits for years now... Love em'. And love the Apollo!

Moxie
08-02-2007, 12:39
Splits for me. Allows me to keep up with my dive buddy. He has powerful kicks, so I would have to work too hard to keep up.

3rdEye
08-02-2007, 12:51
i'd like to try those bio fins to see what they're like....see if it helps with my air consumption

mwhities
08-02-2007, 13:27
I prefer the blades... Jets/Turtles. I have big strong legs, the extra "work" doesn't bother me.

Michael

WaterRat
08-02-2007, 14:06
I prefer the blades... Jets/Turtles. I have big strong legs, the extra "work" doesn't bother me.

Michael

I've got the huge strong leg thing to and don't even notice the effort with my jets. Love my jets.

Ron

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 14:06

Michael

I dunno about you but my turtles seem like even more work than my regular blades, though it is hard to determine with the extra weight & drysuit I suppose.

TAH 73
08-02-2007, 14:21
I still love my Mares Quattro's, except that they are red.

Disneymom
08-02-2007, 14:22
I'm a newbie at this, but can tell you without hesitation that I love my splits. Tried my husband's Tusa paddles that he got for snorkeling last night - and was gently reminded how much I love the split.

tc_rain
08-02-2007, 14:33
I have the bio fins and love them but don't forget to get them with the spring straps

ianr33
08-02-2007, 14:50
Does anybody routinely Frog Kick with splits ?

chinacat46
08-02-2007, 17:39
I love my jets with spring straps.

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 17:55

I for one have been using spilts for 3 years now and just this week tried my blades back on and WOW, so much work.

I have a motive for asking this question, I am looking to but Apollo Bio fins with my GC, anyone have these?
I switch back and forth regularly between my Bio-Fin XT-Cs and my Jet fins (also with spring straps). I love my bio-fins on easy reef dives when I'm diving wet, or in the pool. I use my Jet fins when diving dry, or on more challenging dives while diving wet.

Yes, but it is nowhere near as strong as a frog kick with paddle fins. Splits definitely prefer a flutter kick. If you're planning to primarily frog kick, you're doing yourself a disservice by buying splits.

Splitlip
08-02-2007, 18:21

M'thinks your motive may be the tribal pack :smiley2: n'est pas?

First permit me to say, you should be quite pleased with the Apollos. They are confortable and extremely efficient. I suggest however, if you can, try them before buying.

Secondly, you will likely get responses here of "jetfin!" with no basis to support the recommendation. People love the macho men in black appeal of Jetfin. Many think a jet makes them look like a bad boy. (Think George in the Seinfeld episode when he had his Dad's old muscle car. "Yeah, I got heavy planks on my feet, errr punch me in the stomach, I can take it")

Anyway, I have jets. Have used Jets most of my diving life. Great fins in certain applications. Have used all kinds and make of fin. The last few years, my favorite all around fin was my USD Original blades.
I had Apollos for a number of years, but really did not get into them until last year after following a discussion similar to this.
Now Apollo splits are my number 1 fin. Especially if I don't feel like working hard. (Why should I?) "Errrr , go ahead, punch me in the stomach"

Splitlip
08-02-2007, 18:27
PAddles definitely de better than splits. Jets for me are the best frog kicking fins.
You can frog kick with splits, but that is not their forte

BigASG
08-02-2007, 19:05
I have been using my Bios for three years now as well and absolutely love them! In fact, right after I used them the first time, I went out and bought a pair for my wife & daughter.

I highly recoomend the Spring strap option, you never have to worry about breaking or losing a strap and they are super easy to put on & take off.

thor
08-02-2007, 19:09
I too love my Bio Fins. Split fins rocks

deepdiver47
08-02-2007, 19:26
Those springs are $$, are they worth it? It looks like it just makes it easier to get them on or off. Does it feel differently? Those springs are stainless, correct? How is it cleaning them?

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 19:33
Those springs are $$, are they worth it? It looks like it just makes it easier to get them on or off. Does it feel differently? Those springs are stainless, correct? How is it cleaning them?

Spring straps are hard to describe. There's nothing necessarily wrong with regular fin straps. Spring straps are just so much easier it's not even funny. Until you try them a time or two there's just no describing how much simpler they are.

Any well-made commercial ones are stainless. Rinse briefly, toss back in the bin. No further care required. The EZ Spring Straps you can get here from ScubaToys and from DiveSports are just a little over $30... people who pay $60+ for the ones with the famous names (or not!) are getting screwed.

deepdiver47
08-02-2007, 19:54
I'm sold on those Bio fins and those straps as well. I just need to get to that magic 250 baby......

PlatypusMan
08-02-2007, 20:07
I switch back and forth regularly between my Bio-Fin XT-Cs and my Jet fins (also with spring straps). I love my bio-fins on easy reef dives when I'm diving wet, or in the pool. I use my Jet fins when diving dry, or on more challenging dives while diving wet.

I also switch back-and-forth now between my Apollo BIO fins in my original Mares Power Plana blades, purchased in 1982, I might add.

There are just some circumstances that I feel require blades, others that require splits.

Moxie
08-02-2007, 20:17
Oh yes, spring straps are worth it! It makes life so much more enjoyable!

Splitlip
08-02-2007, 20:26
Boy, I just read the entire thread. This is very refreshing. A nice civil discussion about fins without somebody making a derogitory comment about divers who use splits.
Seems I was the only one who was prepared to get his back up.
My, how awkward...:)

deepdiver47
08-02-2007, 20:48
There must not be any techies in the forum :)

tc_rain
08-02-2007, 21:07

They are worth every penny.
On and off is so much easier then buckles.
They feel no different then buckles.
Cleaning is just simply hosing them off as other equipment.

Splitlip
08-02-2007, 21:09
One of the best moves I have ever made. Easy on and off. If they are sized right they feel fine. Nice feeling to not have to worry about adjusting or breaking. No special cleaning is required. I dump my fins in the dunk tank when I get home.
I have 6 pair of open heel fins. 4 have spring straps, 1 has bungeed straps and one I have never used.

BSea
08-02-2007, 21:24
I have mares quattros that I bought about 10 years ago. I've tried splits, and they are easier, but I don't think they have the power. I know, I've seen the reports too. That's just my viewpoint. I like them even if they are green. I'd buy sime jets if they came in a different color. :)

nferra2
08-03-2007, 00:00
I never thought something like a fin would be so complicated. It reminds me of buying a protien skimmer for a reef tank, they all do the same thing and vary widely in cost and methods. I think I am going to go with the Tusa zoom fins for my first set.

Queen
08-03-2007, 05:08
I never thought something like a fin would be so complicated. It reminds me of buying a protien skimmer for a reef tank, they all do the same thing and vary widely in cost and methods. I think I am going to go with the Tusa zoom fins for my first set.
Love my Tusa splits! They're my first pair of splits and I can't say a bad thing about them. :thumb:

deepdiver47
08-03-2007, 07:29
It sounds like the spring strap is to fins what the nylon/cloth strap is to masks.

Zenagirl
08-03-2007, 08:07
LOVE my Jets with the spring straps! Tried about 3 different types of splits (including the Apollos) and to me they were floppy and weird feeling. I've since decided it's about kicking style and splits simply need smaller kicks to function correctly. As a former long-time competitive swimmer, my kicking style meshes perfectly with stiff paddle fins.

Oh yeah, I also frog kick 80% of the time which is much easier to do in paddles than splits.

loudgonzo
08-03-2007, 08:10

I have the Tusa fins also, I used a sharp hobby knife and cut out 2 small holes in the foot pocket, so after rinsing them, I can hang them to dry and pretty much forget about them, don't have to worry about leaving a puddle inside the foot pocket.

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 10:27

I have the Tusa fins also, I used a sharp hobby knife and cut out 2 small holes in the foot pocket, so after rinsing them, I can hang them to dry and pretty much forget about them, don't have to worry about leaving a puddle inside the foot pocket.
If you beach dive a lot, those little "mini buckets" actually come in handy for rinsing sand off your gear when you get back to the car!

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 13:30
I am bumping this one back up because I need to make one more point about split fins. The split has some kind of magnetic force which attracts nylon line.
If I am pulling a float and get a little slack in the line, it manages to find it's way into my fins or somebody else's. So for overheads, they are a no no.
And last night, I finally got my reverse kick down (I think) in my Apollo's. It did not work.

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 13:37

If you beach dive a lot, those little "mini buckets" actually come in handy for rinsing sand off your gear when you get back to the car!

The place I beach dive had a shower installed. I was in such a habit of bringing water up to rinse my booties, I went to the shower to fill the buckets to take water back to the car. Someone suggested why not just rinse in the shower. DOHH!:smiley29:

Only advantage I see to drilling holes is to act as a vacuum break.

creggur
08-04-2007, 13:50
Wife and I got the Tusa Zooms as our first set of fins, so I can't really compare, but I can say it's easy to cruise along with a nice small flutter kick. There is actually a video on Appollo's site on proper kicking with split fins...Amazing how easy they are to use when used properly..

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 15:03
Wife and I got the Tusa Zooms as our first set of fins, so I can't really compare, but I can say it's easy to cruise along with a nice small flutter kick. There is actually a video on Appollo's site on proper kicking with split fins...Amazing how easy they are to use when used properly..
Yes, I believe splits are the most efficient fin. Some will argue how can you get power from a fin or "paddle" that is split down the middle. Some have compared fins to a canoe paddle and suggest it CAN"T work if it split down the middle.
I like to use the analogy of the old paddle wheel ships. The paddle works and works moving around this huge axis to push against the water to get the ship moving with an equal and opposite reaction. The bigger the paddle and the bigger the engine, more thrust.(go ahead punch me in the stomach,ERRR).
Meanwhile, today, the propulsion device of choice is the propeller which spins faster around a smaller axis and provides more thrust with more efficiency without presenting a large surface against the water. (hey, don't they call split fins "propeller" fins?)
Paddles still have their place. They provide more torque, are more precise and are better at alternate kicks. The Jets IMO are the best for alternate kicks and to get torque. Your legs know it though.
(disclaimer, my opinon based upon my experience)

creggur
08-04-2007, 15:45
Yes, I believe splits are the most efficient fin. Some will argue how can you get power from a fin or "paddle" that is split down the middle. Some have compared fins to a canoe paddle and suggest it CAN"T work if it split down the middle.
I like to use the analogy of the old paddle wheel ships. The paddle works and works moving around this huge axis to push against the water to get the ship moving with an equal and opposite reaction. The bigger the paddle and the bigger the engine, more thrust.(go ahead punch me in the stomach,ERRR).
Meanwhile, today, the propulsion device of choice is the propeller which spins faster around a smaller axis and provides more thrust with more efficiency without presenting a large surface against the water. (hey, don't they call split fins "propeller" fins?)
Paddles still have their place. They provide more torque, are more precise and are better at alternate kicks. The Jets IMO are the best for alternate kicks and to get torque. Your legs know it though.

Like I said I can't compare because my first set of fins are splits.. And I would never try to argue that paddles don't have their place, obviously with more technical diving and the need for alternate kicks, paddles are more efficient.:smilie40:

I have experimented with different kicks in my splits, and if you don't want to push water down simply turning your feet out, ie the bottom of the fins face each other, seperate your feet about 18" and then slap the bottom of your feet together it will push the water straight back and propel you forward quite efficiently. The whole thing is aiming tip of the fins in the direction you want propulsion, unlike a frog kick with paddles where your literally pushing your self through the water with the surface of the fin..

To do helicopter turns to the left, straighten left leg bring right leg up around the crease of the back of your knee, flex ankle up and down= propulsion in that direction and will spin you right around to the left...

Is it DIR?? Obviously not, but it gets you around in the water,...Most of the time I'm just flutter kicking anyway, straight newbie recreational diver, so the splits work great...

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 16:02

Like I said I can't compare because my first set of fins are splits.. And I would never try to argue that paddles don't have their place, obviously with more technical diving and the need for alternate kicks, paddles are more efficient.:smilie40:

I have experimented with different kicks in my splits, and if you don't want to push water down simply turning your feet out, ie the bottom of the fins face each other, seperate your feet about 18" and then slap the bottom of your feet together it will push the water straight back and propel you forward quite efficiently. The whole thing is aiming tip of the fins in the direction you want propulsion, unlike a frog kick with paddles where your literally pushing your self through the water with the surface of the fin..

To do helicopter turns to the left, straighten left leg bring right leg up around the crease of the back of your knee, flex ankle up and down= propulsion in that direction and will spin you right around to the left...

Is it DIR?? Obviously not, but it gets you around in the water,...Most of the time I'm just flutter kicking anyway, straight newbie recreational diver, so the splits work great...

I can do most kicks with my splits, but not a reverse. But I really can't do it with paddles either.

creggur
08-04-2007, 18:47
I don't feel bad now cause I haven't been able to do a reverse at all, I just end up staying in the same place....

Back 6 inches, Forward 6 inches,Back 6 inches, Forward 6 inches,Back 6 inches, Forward 6 inches,Back 6 inches, Forward 6 inches.... Never really getting anywhere, You get the idea!!:wheel:

Longhorn
08-07-2007, 04:29
I have been a long time snorkler with big paddle fins. I decided to give the Atomic Splitfins with the spring straps a try when I started scuba. They start a little slower for me, but when I get in the slipstream I'm much faster than the paddles with less effort.

Dive-aholic
08-07-2007, 05:17
Here's a little write up (http://www.chipoladivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=152&Itemid=134) on different types of fins.

It's just some basic information, but hopefully it helps.

Coaster
08-07-2007, 06:19

A coupla years ago Larry told me to buys TUSA splits and he was right...never thought about the puddles, but I did get some springs from ST recently and I like em. Sometimes the splits remind me that I don't really need to be in the go fast mode.

NorthwoodsDiver
08-16-2007, 17:16
Splits are soooo much more comfortable to use but there is a reason and a cost to comfort. Just hope you don't ever get into a situation where you have to battle a strong current with a split fin...you are as good as done. Have seen this firsthand in mixed groups with both.

Splitlip
08-16-2007, 17:57
Splits are soooo much more comfortable to use but there is a reason and a cost to comfort. Just hope you don't ever get into a situation where you have to battle a strong current with a split fin...you are as good as done. Have seen this firsthand in mixed groups with both.
I do better with my Apollo splits swimming against a current than I do with either my jets or USD (original) Blades. I love all three, but the splits do better for me in current. more effecient.

We all learned of the exchange between Richard the First of England and Saladin. (a lot of metaphore here)
Richard claimed he had the sharper sword because he could use his to cleave through an iron lamp post. Saladin told Richard that demonstrated the power of his arm, not the edge of his sword. He then challanged Richard to cut through a silk scarf. Richard said it could not be done because the scarf offered no resistence. Saladin then let the scarf float in the air and sliced through it with his sharper blade.

I think many of those who claim the paddle is more efficient, are just stronger.

NitroWill
08-16-2007, 18:24
Been diving my ScubaPro TwinJet Pros (Splits) w/ spring straps for many years..i love them...i am always getting offers on them too :p

Black-Gorrilla
08-16-2007, 18:39
I use blades for now (oceanic VIPER) but am looking at BIo splits or tusa's... so i prefer both.

reservecops
08-16-2007, 19:20
Looks like ST is the first to offer the Mares Raptor split fin. Who's gonna be the first taker(s)?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresRaptorFin

deepdiver47
08-16-2007, 19:28
Looks cheap, how does it compare to the Apollo Bio fins that I WANT to get? Yellow ones please

reservecops
08-16-2007, 19:31
Looks cheap, how does it compare to the Apollo Bio fins that I WANT to get? Yellow ones pleaseWow. I wish I was good enough to judge quality based on a picture posted on the Internet ... :smiley5:

NorthwoodsDiver
08-17-2007, 12:12
I do better with my Apollo splits swimming against a current than I do with either my jets or USD (original) Blades. I love all three, but the splits do better for me in current. more effecient.

We all learned of the exchange between Richard the First of England and Saladin. (a lot of metaphore here)
Richard claimed he had the sharper sword because he could use his to cleave through an iron lamp post. Saladin told Richard that demonstrated the power of his arm, not the edge of his sword. He then challanged Richard to cut through a silk scarf. Richard said it could not be done because the scarf offered no resistence. Saladin then let the scarf float in the air and sliced through it with his sharper blade.

I think many of those who claim the paddle is more efficient, are just stronger.

Point taken as I have pretty strong legs and swim laps quite often. None of the free-divers or DI's I know like them, and I have one buddy who hates his after trying to keep up with me for a week in Cozumel (not Apollos), but they might all be "closed minded oldtimers" like me. I think the prices are insane though but then again I bought my fins in 85. I will have to give the Apollos a try.

torrey
08-17-2007, 12:34
I still love my Mares Quattro's, except that they are red.

I bought a pair of Quattro's on ebay last year, but I've only been diving a couple of times with them. They're certainly better than the blades I was using. I still want to try a pair of splits sometime though. If I wasn't planning on getting a computer, I would probably look at buying some splits.

TAH 73
08-17-2007, 13:32
Looks like ST is the first to offer the Mares Raptor split fin. Who's gonna be the first taker(s)?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresRaptorFin

I saw those pop up last night, I love my Quattro's but am curious to see how they work as it seems when in quiet water (no current) splits are pretty cool.

I wonder how these compare to a Quattro, from what I have seen the idea of a split is to really let the fin "bow" in the middle creating a strong cup shape to force the water off the back of the fin rather than have it spill over the sides. Correct?
The Quattro's have the rubber channels that flex and flatten out allowing this same 'bow" shape that the splits are trying to create but with a bit more efficiency due to the fact that no water can spill through the centre "split"

Am I way off base here?, if anything the new splits have the buckles that I love.

chewyjr15
08-20-2007, 00:58
love my blades

Buoyant1
08-20-2007, 07:44
Have Plana Avanti's...loved them since I got them, but m xbuddy SWEARS by the Quattros...I'm considering the switch...

eric4435
08-27-2007, 17:17
Mixed feelings here, I have a pair of US Divers split fins, they are built for booties but are too small for me, so I use them bootieless, needless to say they're a little small for me. Today though, i used a pair of Dive Rite fins (just normal bootie fins) and here is the conclusion I came to: When kicking with small quick strokes, the split fins moved me quite quickly and pretty effortlessly. The Dive Rite's made it harder to move that quickly.
In conclusion, I found that the split fins (even though were too small for me) propelled me forward far easier, but they are almost useless for anything other that quick flutter kicks. In standard fins, I felt as though I had much more control over my movements, it opened the doors to a myraid of different kick variations, at the expense of speed though. I'm personally going to go for the standard blade fins, because i hardly need to move quickly diving anyways, so the standard blade will be of more use to me. I'll keep the split fins for snorkeling though where the speed and efficiency will come in handy.

Aussie
09-03-2007, 06:00
I prefer blade fins to splits. I currently have Aqualung blade II fins with steel spring straps and also Esclapez free diving open heel fins with also with steel spring straps.

I like the torque feel of the blade fins and the efficency of them with a frog kick. I love the free diving fins in blue water diving with strong current.

I would like to know how many split fin users dive with twin steel cylinders?

Aussie

Capt Hook
09-03-2007, 09:26
Still using paddles I started with, most of my diving is drift diving.

Bring the Payne
09-10-2007, 20:10
Personally I prefer the split fins due to the lack of effort it takes to motor along. I finally got to use my oceanic v16s this past weekend and loved them!

DivingsInMyBlood
09-10-2007, 20:19

Michael

Im with you matey, i got some big strong legs to power the blades.

jwdizney
09-10-2007, 20:52
I'm a newbie at this, but can tell you without hesitation that I love my splits. Tried my husband's Tusa paddles that he got for snorkeling last night - and was gently reminded how much I love the split.

I LOVE :love: my Tusa Zooms! I have a pair of Imprex too, great fins but much more leg efforts....

Kidder
09-10-2007, 21:22
I have some Scuba pro split fins and like them. Some times I wish I had a bit more power though.

tnfireman
09-10-2007, 21:25
I'll stick with my blades.

DevilDiver
09-10-2007, 21:28
Split fins ROCK. The Apollo Bio's are the best out there and the springs just need to be sprayed off. These fins are almost indestructable. Very comfortable and you never have to worry about breaking a strap or loosing a clip!!!!

Bill22
09-18-2007, 15:20

I have the Tusa X-Pert Zoom and have been really happy with them. The angle of the blades makes them more efficient when swimming on the surface. I do a lot of surface swimming shore diving here in Japan, so this is a nice feature.

comet24
09-20-2007, 22:23
I like my jet fins but have never tried splits. Mostly because I use the frog kick a lot and not sure how splits will work. My try a pair this weekend if I can get my hands on a pair that fit.

jwdizney
09-20-2007, 22:27
i've tried blades (tusa imprex) and splits (tusa zooms) and I LOVE my zooms! easy on the legs, less effort, responsive. you may be able to go faster sometimes with the blades, but, what's the hurry???? :smiley2:

Travelnsj
09-20-2007, 23:00
If you use split fins...you will die...LOL....I love my Scuba Pro twin jets...use them in some pretty strong currents...they have always come through for me....also the graphits are lite to travel with.

crpntr133
09-20-2007, 23:20
My preference is paddles. The stiffer the better. I say that because I dive dry and the more flex the more you kick.

jo8243
09-20-2007, 23:25
To be honest I didn't notice a whole lot of difference when I went from regular fins to split fins.

JugglingMonkeys
09-21-2007, 02:08
i love my splits.
had ankle surgery a couple years ago.
these are great!

CompuDude
09-21-2007, 12:44
I like my jet fins but have never tried splits. Mostly because I use the frog kick a lot and not sure how splits will work. My try a pair this weekend if I can get my hands on a pair that fit.

Stick with your Jets if your normal kick is the frog kick. You can frog kick in splits, but it's nowhere near as efficient as the frog kick in paddle fins, because the very feature that helps the flutter kick redirect it's energy in the right direction (the split), really cuts down on the trust of a frog kick.

If your primary kick is a regular flutter kick, all judgment aside, splits work well for many situations with that kick.

danielh03
09-22-2007, 22:49
Sticking with my bio's, they just feel better to me

bversteegh
09-22-2007, 22:54
I have a pair of Blades, plenty of power. I switched to them from a pair of old Jets that were great fins, but just too darn heavy (circa 1978, they were a rubber compound).

My only issue with the blades is they are much longer than my Jets (I have XL's, so they are really long), and I have to be really conscious of that to not inadvertently kick things; and also very careful to not kick up the bottom.

As an avid photographer, I try hard to not live up to the stereotype of a lot of photographers that abuse the environment to get "the picture" (and I have dove with some professional photographers that were horrible). I do a lot of muck diving (little critters, usually on the bottom in black sand), so I need fins with great control, but enough power to work in current (I have good leg strength - so can generate pretty good power).

So I am thinking about switching to splits, or going back to Jets (but buying newer model that is much lighter). My only concern with splits is really fine control - I need to be able to hold position very accurately during macro photography - are splits as good as blades for this type of diving?

quasimoto
09-23-2007, 18:55
Paddles are my friend. Tried a set of splits and I hated them. I do agree for those that have knee or ankle issues they are better. But since I dive a lot dry the splits do no good.
Kick style should also be added into the equation like mentioned above.

Zenagirl
09-24-2007, 07:45
I've come to the conclusion that fins are as personal a choice as a good mask and that you really have to try before buying. There's such a variation of styles, even within the different types, that it necessitates trying as many as you can IMO.

When I went fin shopping to replace my ancient US Divers blades, I tried no less than 10 different fins, and took 6 in the water. I decided on the Jetfins because they felt the best to me and I liked the power and fine control I had. There was nothing macho about my decision as I have zero aspirations to look "techie" or DIR.

I think everyone should use whatever gear feels right and works well for them.

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 14:36
I have a pair of Blades, plenty of power. I switched to them from a pair of old Jets that were great fins, but just too darn heavy (circa 1978, they were a rubber compound).

My only issue with the blades is they are much longer than my Jets (I have XL's, so they are really long), and I have to be really conscious of that to not inadvertently kick things; and also very careful to not kick up the bottom.

As an avid photographer, I try hard to not live up to the stereotype of a lot of photographers that abuse the environment to get "the picture" (and I have dove with some professional photographers that were horrible). I do a lot of muck diving (little critters, usually on the bottom in black sand), so I need fins with great control, but enough power to work in current (I have good leg strength - so can generate pretty good power).

So I am thinking about switching to splits, or going back to Jets (but buying newer model that is much lighter). My only concern with splits is really fine control - I need to be able to hold position very accurately during macro photography - are splits as good as blades for this type of diving?
For the type of precision finning you're likely to need while doing serious photography, stick with blade-style fins. I frequently use a back kick while trying to find just the right position, and that doesn't work with splits.

If the original Jetfins are too heavy for you, try the OMS SlipStreams. Nearly identical to Jets, but made from a thermoplastic compound so they're considerably lighter. I don't seem them on ScubaToys' website, but I know they carry OMS so could probably order them for you... if not, LP carries them.

Theepdinker
09-25-2007, 00:15
I started diving in 75.
I 've owned & used a few different fins over the years.
Not into tech or DIR.
Bought a pair splits about 4 years ago.
Dive what you want, I'll be in my splits.

Theep

Buoyant1
09-26-2007, 06:57
Love my Quattro's! One of the guys I dove with this weekend took a pair of new Mares Raptors out for a test, he liked them that his upstroke was easier, but he felt that on his down stroke, they pushed him DOWN rather than forward...he also felt that they didn't give the power of his Quattro's.

(he also said that he thought they were nice LOOKING fins, and that they'd probably sell like hotcakes) I'll gve them a try if they still have them around and I can get in with some pool time...

CC1020
09-26-2007, 09:55
i love my splits.
had ankle surgery a couple years ago.
these are great!

I like my AtomicSplits for the same reason. I broke both ankles in a rock climbing fall, and my paddle fins were so painful to use, that I thought that my diving days were over. The Atomics make it possible for me to dive, so obviously, I'm sticking with them :D