PDA

View Full Version : don't leave your car doors unlocked!

boates
04-09-2008, 11:18
in our very small town, the police get bored easily. We do have a canine unit, 2 dogs! They are always looking for training opportunities for these dogs.
Soooooo, they went to parked cars, that weren't locked, and placed Joe or Tracey, in protection mode in the cars.
Well, when the owners returned to their cars,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you can imagine what happened when owner put their hand on the door!:smilie39: The police were literally right there. Looking innocent of course.

Very funny, the whole town was not only laughing, but very proud to actually see the K-9 unit in action:smiley20:

No humans or dogs were hurt or at risk during these training sessions. However, everyone now locks their cars!:smiley32:

navyhmc
04-09-2008, 11:35
Not to be one to rain on the parade, but what happened when the owner got to their car? I am surmising that the dogs went into the bark and growl and "if you touch the car, I will eat you" mode.

UCFKnightDiver
04-09-2008, 11:36
I think I would be pissed at the pd unit, they dont have any right to do that

Sounder
04-09-2008, 11:46
Being former law enforcement myself, if I walked up on my car and a dog was acting aggressive toward me, I'd feel threatened and would protect myself accordingly.

Additionally, in many areas the threat of a police dog is considered a "use of force" just like verbal commands or displaying a weapon... without cause, it seems that police department could be held liable for assulting civilans.

If they want training opportunities for their bored K9 units, a better idea might be to simply walk the dogs through parking lots of cars sniffing for drugs... if the dogs hit on a car, that's PC to search. It'd be training AND and serving the public at the same time. If they need bite and aggression training, put another officer in a bite-sleeve and do it that way.

Just my 2 psi.

mike_s
04-09-2008, 12:44
I think I would be pissed at the pd unit, they dont have any right to do that

I agree.

The police had no right to enter the personal personal property.

What happens when they start trying houses to see whats unlocked and let the dogs in?

I would be pissed if someone, police or other put a dog in my car. (and I love dogs).

You know, if someone else did it, it would be an offense that you would be able to call the police on.... yet the police believe they are "above the law" here.,

Other issues that could have arrisen.
* the owner of the car was allergic to dogs, or one of their kids were.
* the owner of the car was terrified of dogs.
* The dogs claws tore up the leather seats.
* The dog pee'd/pooped in the car
* your car now "smells like dog".
* problems with illegal substances found in the car and constitutional rights violated when seized without a search warrant.

I hate to tell the original poster this, but you live in a town that the police are a bunch of morons.

Garrobo
04-09-2008, 13:01
Since I have a CCW and always carry a firearm where ever I go, in a situation like that the local fuzz might just end up with a dead dog.

Sounder
04-09-2008, 13:11
Since I have a CCW and always carry a firearm where ever I go, in a situation like that the local fuzz might just end up with a dead dog.

I'm right there with you.

Being former law enforcement myself, if I walked up on my car and a dog was acting aggressive toward me, I'd feel threatened and would protect myself accordingly.

94GTStang
04-09-2008, 13:29
Man I would be pissed if a PD unit did that to my car without PC. Of course, I'm sure they would make up something.

Either way, with my CCW, they would have a dead dog too

Chad
04-09-2008, 14:02
Between pulling stunts like that and unnecessary use of tazers no wonder police have a bad name. There was a time when you could trust police to protect you and look out for fellow citizens. Now I don't trust a cop anymore than the guy on the corner washing windshields. They have no one to blame but themselves. I feel sorry for the good "old school" cops that take pride in their work and know what it means to protect and serve.

And yes, that would have been one dead dog if it was my car and they would have gotten a bill to clean up the mess.

boates
04-09-2008, 14:25
OK, nobody got so far as to open the car door, (police were right there), and further more, no one (towns folk) were angry over this, they got a good laugh, and respect for protecting their property, remember, very small town(we barely even lock our doors...). The K-9 unit is now visible, and that's a good thing!

thor
04-09-2008, 14:53
OK, nobody got so far as to open the car door, (police were right there), and further more, no one (towns folk) were angry over this, they got a good laugh, and respect for protecting their property, remember, very small town(we barely even lock our doors...). The K-9 unit is now visible, and that's a good thing!

I always wonder how these small towns end up with K-9s and tazers? Probably so they can kill their own boredom. There's only so many drunk and disorderly calls one can make before you need to pull the old "lock the ferocious german shephard in the car" trick.

scubasamurai
04-09-2008, 14:59
to me some joke, they are breaking the law by entering the car without consent and than placing an animal that can possible kill someone. what if that was your child going to the door. stupid. i hope the owners of those vehicles sued the police.

mwhities
04-09-2008, 15:08
Find a police officers car that unlocked, put a skunk in there. "I'm just paying you back, you put your dog in my car... I don't have a dog..."

Chad
04-09-2008, 15:11
Find a police officers car that unlocked, put a skunk in there. "I'm just paying you back, you put your dog in my car... I don't have a dog..."

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Sounds fair.

WAHMof2
04-09-2008, 15:30
How ridiculous. If they did that to my car they'd have a dead dog and a lawsuit.

mwhities
04-09-2008, 15:33

Sounds fair.

Of course, you'd get arrested for destruction of city property. :|

terrillja
04-09-2008, 16:17

Sounds fair.

Of course, you'd get arrested for destruction of city property. :|
Well in our small town, the cops are also animal control, so maybe if you thought it was rabid, you could put it in there so it didn't bite anyone, and animal control could take care of it....

Sounder
04-09-2008, 16:26
Well, that may fly in BFE but in a town of ANY real size the police who illegally entered the car would be in deep K9-doo. It's illegal entry, breaking and entering, burglery, etc (depending on where you are and what they call it). Cops AREN'T above the law and they WILL be prosecuted, sometimes harsher than civilians, especially to set an example.

Funny thing is that if put a skunk in the cop's car in that town, and the cops charged you with something, a flipping 1L law student could provide a defense enough to sink the case. At the end of the day, that skunk wasn't trained to attack and be aggressive... and their dog was.

If they wanted exposure for their K9 unit, how about walking them in a parade and taking them to the local elementary schools... or you could put a vicious dog in a civilan's car without permission, PC, or a warrant.:smilie39:

mike_s
04-09-2008, 16:59

I always wonder how these small towns end up with K-9s and tazers? Probably so they can kill their own boredom. There's only so many drunk and disorderly calls one can make before you need to pull the old "lock the ferocious german shephard in the car" trick.

I agree.... small town cops usually are usually bored, yet they think they need all the "SWAT response gear" for a department the size of LAPD.

I'd guess in most cases it's more like "Barney, you can put your bullet in your gun now", say Andy.

Exactly. Then beat on the car to get the skunk to spray. also feed the sunk laxatives while you're at it. :smilie39:

BTW... You know how cops always leave their cars running? I was at a party once where the cops "busted it". Of course someone took off running.... and the cop took off in a foot chase. The funny thing was that while he was gone, someone went out and hit the power lock button on his car doors, leaving his car locked and running. (he didn't have a spare set of keys on him). It was too funny.... :smilie39:

boates
04-09-2008, 17:27
Yes, it is very much like Andy of Mayberry here!

terrillja
04-09-2008, 17:32
I agree.... small town cops usually are usually bored, yet they think they need all the "SWAT response gear" for a department the size of LAPD.

Yeah, the local cops had just gotten their riot gear the week before and went to break up a party. Rather than just show up and get to where everyone was, they decided to show off their gear and showed up in full riot gear, then started firing pepperballs at the trees. Of course someone saw them in riot gear and saw it as them spoiling for a fight and threw a beer bottle, then the pepperballs started being fired at students.

If you show up dressed for a fight, you're just going to aggravate the situation, if they has just kept their new gear at home and had broken up the party as usual, then they wouldn't have had 2 people hospitalized for injuries from pepperballs. Sometimes all you need is a uniform, not all the new fancy gear to make people go away.

navyhmc
04-09-2008, 18:55

I understand the small towne mentality, but did the car's owner find it as humorous? I would not enjoy having that happen to me and my car, much less being the butt of the joke. Again, I guess I value my privacy a little more than that.

I also note you're in the great white north so I can understand if the norm is different than down here in the rectangle state, but I would hazard a guess that a joke of that nature would not fly very well here.

Osprey
04-09-2008, 21:33
Here in Tampa there was a recent article on people saying "my car was broken into... all I did was leave my doors unlocked!"

GOLLY! Go figure

EuphoriaII
04-10-2008, 11:09
I think it not a big deal in a really small town for something like that. Places like that, everyone knows each other and they probably only did it with cars they knew. DOing that to a strangers car would be an abuse of power.

mike_s
04-10-2008, 11:26
I think it not a big deal in a really small town for something like that. Places like that, everyone knows each other and they probably only did it with cars they knew. DOing that to a strangers car would be an abuse of power.

so If I live in a small town, and know everyone there, then it's ok to break into their house? (even if they left the house door unlocked)?

I don't think so... what the police did was considered a tresspass on personal property. In my state that is illegal.

K9Pig
04-10-2008, 12:58
That is one of the craziest things I've heard of, but doesn't suprise me one bit. Andy, Barney and Fido all bored in the same small town.

When you watch some of the "COPS" type shows and listen to the officer's comments. WOW, and they are issued badges, firearms, pepper spray, baton, and some places hand cuffs to assist in the control of the beating(so bad guy can't fight back).

Even when I travel to training conferences around the US, it still amazes me on how things are done so differently then the way I do things. I certainly don't want to upset anyone but there are a lot of "redneck" thinking cops out there that don't wear their uniform proudly with honor. Some of them use it for status, ego boosting, and to "get the girls", but the main one I see is to F*** with the general public because they can.

I'm assigned to a Criminal Interdiction unit that works strickly on the interstate looking for MAJOR criminals. I don't write tickets. If I take you to jail it's because you are transporting "large amounts" of illegal controlled substance in your vehicle, or for some other major crime. Yes, I have a K9 in my car certified in narcotics detection, patrol, and SWAT. He is considered an Intermediate weapon used only as a locating tool. A properly trained Police K9 is the only tool law enforcement have that once deployed can be recalled when necessary.

The methods of training described above by OP doesn't accomplish much, and would P*** me off too. I have to work with the dog hair, smell, and other things that come with having a police service dog, but certainly don't want that in my personal car. My work K9 comes home a becomes just a dog. I have a retired K9 that is 11 yo and is spolied rotten, he took care of me for many years and now it's my turn. Both K9's are not aggressive and I take them to Assisted Living Homes, and hospitals for others to enjoy who are looking for nothing more then love and freindship from mans best friend.

Sorry if I got off the topic, but this probably could go on and on. If anyone has questions post them and I'll do my best to provide a good honest explanation. If it's something I don't know I'll tell you, but will try to get the answer for you. If you are not comfortable posting then PM me. I'm not a "super cop" just one that cares!!!

There are a lot of "BAD" cops out there. I will not dispute that, but there a lot more "GOOD" cops then people would think to believe.

Sounder
04-10-2008, 14:16
Yup - lots of good cops out there... and plenty of good cops would have a BAD reaction if they were walking out to their car and were faced with a seemingly vicious and aggressive dog. What a dumb thing for those police to do and what a sad position to put their dog in.