PDA

View Full Version : Compressor question

boroguy
04-09-2008, 13:32
I was wondering about filling scuba tanks. I have a 120 psi air compressor that I use for air tools. If I were to get the proper adapters, would it be possible to 'fill' my scuba tank? Now, when I say fill, I mean put 120psi worth of air in the tank. I realize that my compressor will not completly fill a 3000 psi tank.:smiley20:
My only interest in this is that I have a pool that I can dive in for practicing skills in between real dives, and it would be alot easier to 'fill' the tank when I want to use it rather than driving to get a fill.

finflippers
04-09-2008, 13:38
Even if you put the filters on to filter the contaminants out f the air I am not sure you could still get it up to breathable grade.

I would be afraid of poisoning my self and wouldn't consider it worth the risk.

ScubaToys Larry
04-09-2008, 13:40
Really... no. 120 psi is not even enough pressure to let the reg work properly - must have an intermediate pressure of 145, and the air could be very dirty. You would need a lot of filtration.

ChrisA
04-09-2008, 13:46
I was wondering about filling scuba tanks. I have a 120 psi air compressor that I use for air tools.

120PSI is not enough air even for use in a pool in the shallow end. The intermaediate pressure used by most regs is higher then 120. If the reg worked at all you'd be sucking real hard.

If you want to avoid driving to the shop then just buy a few more AL80 tanks. They are cheap. WAY cheaper than the equipment you would need to clean and filter the air going into a tank.

CompuDude
04-09-2008, 15:23
Buy some tanks. Then fill (at the LDS), use, and refill, all at your leisure. :D

terrillja
04-09-2008, 15:31
Think about all the water and other junk that drains out of your compressor when you open it. You don't want all that moisture in a cylinder, not to mention all the other junk that the compressor pulls in. I'd agree with others, just get extra cylinders.

skdvr
04-09-2008, 15:46
Buy more tanks...

You can never have to many tanks....

Buy more tanks....
Buy more tanks...

Trust me I hear the voices too...

Phil

navyhmc
04-09-2008, 19:26
Buy more tanks...

Buy more tanks....
Buy more tanks...

Phil

And here I thought the voices were only talking to me. :smiley19: :smilie39::smilie39:

of course mine also say "buy a dry suit...get a new regulator...take a Tec course...set up some doubles...go look and see what is new on scubatoys..."

frogman159
04-09-2008, 19:47
Couldn't see how this could ever work. Your supposed to keep a couple hundred psi in your tanks to keep ambient air and moisture out. If you have 200psi in a tank, your 120psi compressor won't do anything to that.

Now if your draining your tanks to zero and storing them (not a healthy practice) Then filling them with 120 psi of home brew....well I'll just say I wouldn't take a breath off that, even if it could work

mentalmarine
04-09-2008, 19:56
Buy some tanks. Then fill (at the LDS), use, and refill, all at your leisure. :D

Brilliant! :smiley20:

skdvr
04-09-2008, 20:04
Buy more tanks...

Buy more tanks....
Buy more tanks...

Phil

And here I thought the voices were only talking to me. :smiley19: :smilie39::smilie39:

of course mine also say "buy a dry suit...get a new regulator...take a Tec course...set up some doubles...go look and see what is new on scubatoys..."

Trust me those voices are talking to me too... The only one I have left to satisfy is the Tec course. Unfortunately when ever that voice is talking to me so is my WIFE! She does not like that little voice.

Hopefully next year I will be able to make that little voice stop, but I am sure there will be something else after that...:smiley20:

Phil

cummings66
04-09-2008, 22:33
It's never ending, normally it's buy more gear, buy more trips. Buy buy buy...

boroguy
04-10-2008, 08:36
Cool thanks guys, that is why I asked. I definately dont see it worth the risk with filtering, not to mention regulator function. I appreciate the insight!