PDA

View Full Version : Tech w/ Different Wing?

scubasavvy
04-09-2008, 14:45
Is there any way to order a Tech without the 65 lb bladder? I was thinking more along the lines of a 34-44 lb bladder until I start diving doubles. I figured instead of buying the Escape, which doesn't have the option of diving doubles, I'd get the next in line, but the 65 lb bladder might have the "taco" effect and might not be as streamlined as a smaller one.

I often dive with a current and I feel that the standard bladder might be like a "sail in the wind" so to speak.

Then there's the Brigade with the Ranger "chassis" and a smaller bladder, which I think can be changed out for doubles...

I'm so confused, lol. If anyone can help me out, I'd be grateful.

mentalmarine
04-09-2008, 15:06
Well I can give you my experience when I was looking for my wing. There are available wings that you can dive doubles and singles that are advertised as such. However from what I gathered is that this wing isnt suitable for one or the other as much as a dedicated singles wing or a dedicated doubles wing. From the people that said they have bought them, they ended up getting a single wing or a double afterwards. There are a lot more divers with more experience that will be able to answer your question better, but I tried :)
I ended up getting a singles, and when I want to go to doubles all I need is the wing, and tanks, and manifold...ok I need a lot more :)

marchand
04-09-2008, 15:16
Well, A BP/W is as about as good as it gets for doubles. I would be afraid that over time the doubles would wear out any BC, and with all the accessories available for back plates today you really don't loose any comfort.

CompuDude
04-09-2008, 15:17
Save your BC for singles. If you start diving doubles regularly, you'll most likely want a bp/w instead of a BC that tries to do both.

texdiveguy
04-09-2008, 15:36
I can tell you from actual experience from multiple years and various diving conditions....the Zeagle Tech is designed with the serious sport diver in-mind. The wing is a large lift 65lbs. wing that can come off and be replaced with a smaller wing if one desires. I persl. dive its streamlined cousin the Zeagle Tech Pac which is a well designed technical diving platform. I use this for both steel doubles and steel single configurations. I have on occasion used it for diving a single Al80 and it does the job, but its focus is really on doubles or larger steel singles. The wing has a uniquely designed and well fabricated wing strap system....this allows the diver to adjust the amount of wing 'tacoing' that will occur on any given single cylinder. I persl. use a full Zeagle backplate in place of the 2 smaller doubles mounting plates....provides a better ride and the added wt. you many times require on trimming out your rig. Both units are HD in construction for many years of great service. You can dive doubles with the Zeagle Ranger and would aford a suitable platform for someone not diving doubles all the time and using them in more the recreational sense. PM me if you need any more specifics. :)

Aussie
04-09-2008, 17:43
Is there any way to order a Tech without the 65 lb bladder? I was thinking more along the lines of a 34-44 lb bladder until I start diving doubles. I figured instead of buying the Escape, which doesn't have the option of diving doubles, I'd get the next in line, but the 65 lb bladder might have the "taco" effect and might not be as streamlined as a smaller one.

I often dive with a current and I feel that the standard bladder might be like a "sail in the wind" so to speak.

Then there's the Brigade with the Ranger "chassis" and a smaller bladder, which I think can be changed out for doubles...

I would stongly recommend that you look at investing your money towards a Zeagle BPW setup than a Zeagle Tech especially if your looking at doing doubles at a later date.

If your looking at getting the most streamlined rig, you cant beat a BPW. The cost is about the same also.

65lbs wing on singles and on most doubles is an overkill and you will get alot of drag. Thats from personal experience. I find that the 65lbs wing too big even for double 100cuf Fabers.

If your looking at one wing that can do both single and small doubles the Zeagle 44lbs can handle that job. I use the 44lbs ranger wing with my double Faber 7L and they are heavy as they are 300bar rated ones. Very streamlined. If your looking at getting into larger doubles I recommend the Zeagle Manta 50lbs wing. I use this wing on my Double Faber 100's (12.2l) and it balances out just right.

My favourite single rig is a BPW with zeagle 34lbs all elastic wing. Small and streamlined and perfect for travel when you use an ally plate or SS when at home in cold water.

Aussie

Any more questions pm me.

doczerothree
04-09-2008, 18:00
DIR - Tech Scuba Equipment (http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Dir.asp) this site may help if your intent on buying a wing. Scroll down. also there are multiple pages of gear your gonna wish you had.:)

mksmith713
03-25-2009, 13:33
I'd ditch the BCD and convert to BP/W.
This way you can simply swap out components for diving singles or doubles.

The Great Kazoo
03-25-2009, 16:14
I dive an OMS Bp, wing and a DiveRite Harness. I use a 60lb lift with a dbl bladder on my Dbl 120s and a DiveRite Venture Wing for single Al80s and single Hp120s. I am 6'1 and weigh 215lbs, so this set up works perfect for me at any depth.The cost of a Bp,Wing and Harness is about double that of a standard BC. Look around online and you can find close out sales. There is a whole DiveRite rig on e bay right now for a good price. I also dive a SS Bp for both rigs. Less weight needed.

mksmith713
03-25-2009, 16:57
You can find alot of great prices online right now for BP/W set ups.
Check out Caveadventurers.com for the Dive Rite Alum backplate and Oxycheq harness special....
$69.00

Then check out Scubatoys and see if they still have any of the Dive Rite wings on closeout for around $159.

There ya go, awesome set up for less than $250.

That less than almost every BCD I've seen online.

ScottZeagle
03-26-2009, 08:57

Instead of telling you what you "should" do, I will just answer your question...

:)

Yes, you can put a smaller wing on the Tech BC.

The majority of our BC wings have clips that attach the bladder to the vest of the BC, which will prevent the "taco" effect that you mention.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Scott

mksmith713
03-26-2009, 13:05
You could also keep the wing provided and bungee it.