04-09-2008, 16:18
Love my kids, but,
You know, leave home, return. Leave home, return....and so on, and so on,,,
Anyone else have one?
Help:smiley36:
1 outta 2!

FBH1
04-09-2008, 17:13
Yeah, I know a few of those kinds of kids. My sisters are that way. I on the other hand....Who am I kidding. I'm one of those kids too.

Beaucoupfishies
04-09-2008, 18:23
I just hit 27 and had moved back home from 22-26. It's hard to get out and stay out nowadays. Just when you feel like you're sustaining yourself adequately, one of life's little surprises comes along and suddenly you can't afford rent again!

..of course now I'm running myself into debt buying dive gear. :smiley36:

Garrobo
04-09-2008, 18:55
Funny how things happen. We didn't have enough money to feed us all so I left home at 12 years old, bummed around with my aunts and uncles and their kids, then when I turned 16 worked on a cattle farm for grub and $29 a month till I graduated from high school, left there and never went back to the same area. Can't understand how a young, healthy person in this country can't support themselves. What is it, lazy or no initiative?Blows my mind.

scootermcfly
04-10-2008, 09:32
See, mine are teenagers and I tourcher them routinely so that they want to get out right after they are out of college. They are already talking about moving out and have a lot in savings so that they should be able to handle any type of bumpy roads.

Scooter McFly

Beaucoupfishies
04-10-2008, 10:31
Funny how things happen. We didn't have enough money to feed us all so I left home at 12 years old, bummed around with my aunts and uncles and their kids, then when I turned 16 worked on a cattle farm for grub and $29 a month till I graduated from high school, left there and never went back to the same area. Can't understand how a young, healthy person in this country can't support themselves. What is it, lazy or no initiative?Blows my mind.

Nah, the country is in a different state than when you were a kid. It used to be that a man could work and support an entire family, and now both parents need to work to get by. A lot of times it's still not enough. A person can't work a minimum wage job anymore and be able to get by.

There is also a hell of a lot more people in the country than there was even as little as 20 years ago. All those opportunities that were readily available have been reduced and the ones that are left can be sold to the lowest bidder, whether they're a legal citizen or not. The generation proceeding the baby boomers was first to not surpass their parents in terms of salary and job opportunities.

I don't think it's a matter of laziness or lack of ambition, but an increase in competition. Somebody has to lose, and there are a lot more losers than winners.

Credit cards are also a huge issue. It used to be that if you wanted something and you didn't have the money, you didn't get it. Now if there's an emergency you can just charge it, but then you have that debt that you're stuck paying off whether you can or not. Credit cards are seriously abused (I'm guilty of it too- charged my entire ST order), but it's become a way of life and it's very difficult to get out from under the debt once you've accumulated it. While you're trying to pay it off, more debts come in that you have to charge so you end up back where you started.

I'm sure from the outside it does seem like kids are just lazy now, and I'm sure there are plenty of lazy people out there. I've worked hard since my sophmore year in high school, and even now my fiancee and I both work as much as possible for a combined annual income of around $45k. Yeah, we'd have a little bit more money if we didn't do things like diving or going out to eat, but it's nice to have something to justify why we work hard.

I respect you for all the hard work you did to get by, but please don't assume that everyone is lazy just because we didn't go through the same situation as you.

EuphoriaII
04-10-2008, 10:49
With my 17 y/o it's laziness, plain and simple. I suspect he will move out and back a few times. My plan is to secretly move without a forwarding address. :)

Beaucoupfishies
04-10-2008, 11:37
With my 17 y/o it's laziness, plain and simple. I suspect he will move out and back a few times. My plan is to secretly move without a forwarding address. :)

Teenagers are another story altogether! :)

Zyxistal
04-10-2008, 12:06
I left home at 18, got kicked out of college at 20, and joined the Air Force at 21. Havent been back home for more than 2 weeks at a time since.

Garrobo
04-10-2008, 12:26
If a young Mexican or Honduran can save up enough money to risk his life traveling across Mexico to come here illegally, work at one or two minimum wage jobs ,while dodging the INS, to take care of himself and send some money home, the only reason that I can see why a young American couldn't make it on his own is sheer laziness or no drive.

Osprey
04-10-2008, 12:31
If he's illegal than he probably doesn't own his own property, and if he does it's from someone who knows his situation and is willing to help under the table

Not all of us get that luxury

Beaucoupfishies
04-10-2008, 12:36
Not to mention he doesn't have to pay taxes, social security, and medicare.

And by that logic, I must not have the drive because I'm not breaking the law. I'm sure I could make lots of extra money if I made it outside legal means.

Clanggedin
04-10-2008, 12:53
I graduated from highschool, spent a year in college and lived at home, moved to Argentina for 2 years, then returned and lived at home for 2 years, then I got married. I did live in my in-laws basement apartment for another year while I built my house. I built a house next to my parent's.

I guess I'm a boomerang kid (somewhat)