PDA

View Full Version : Top or bottom (during lightning storm)

tremtech
08-02-2007, 10:46
I have had this discussion with several dive instructors and DM's about the safest place to be in the event of a lightning storm I was told that the bottom (in contact) was a definite no no, I was also told that the surface was just as dangerous, I have felt the tingle of a lightning bolt on my boat and I almost warmed my wet suit. maybe someone has some concrete advise they could share.

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 10:51
I would guess it's safer at 50+ feet than it is at the surface, but it's more likely a storm could get worse in the little time you'd have at that depth so as to make the point moot. Best bet is to get away from the water in a bad lightening storm as fast as possible.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 11:08
Don't know... Did you see this post? http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=726

tremtech
08-02-2007, 11:22
I read the post but the answer is still vague

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 12:34
i would think the bottom is safer... lightning would disperse trough the water... and since there is so much you'd be fine ( 1 would think...)
but as stated already... can you stay under longer than the storm can stay around?
i would say....
Get out of the water as fast as possible!

TAH 73
08-02-2007, 13:30
Depending on the size of the strike, the charge has a range of over 500 ft, so really the only safe place to be during the storm is off the water.

WaterRat
08-02-2007, 13:54
I got the feeling that in the FL lighting strike, the victim took the direct hit but his buddies were near by in the water. Maybe they were already on the boat though. Would be nice to know if they were in the water and how close they were.

Ron