PDA

View Full Version : I absolutely HATE buying wetsuits

Panchita
04-10-2008, 11:33
Just bought the Henderson Thermoprene on sale - great price! Does anyone have one of these? I'm a little worried because I'm tall - 34 inch inseam and a short body, kind of like an olive on a toothpick. Why are they so terribly unforgiving about sizing? I'm not a large woman, but I'll be darned if I don't end up in a large in wetsuits. Boo. :smiley21:

*stomps-off-to-find-some-chocolate*

I'm editing to correct myself - I'm only 5'8", so not that tall in the grand scheme of things, just have long limbs. I'm tired of having things end halfway to my ankles and wrists, damnitall!

obrules15
04-10-2008, 11:35
At least you are tall, I am short with a 32 inch inseam. It brings a whole new meaning to olive on toothpick. Don't know about the thermoprene, but let me know how you like it.

mentalmarine
04-10-2008, 11:37
Just bought the Henderson Thermoprene on sale - great price! Does anyone have one of these? I'm a little worried because I'm tall - 34 inch inseam and a short body, kind of like an olive on a toothpick. Why are they so terribly unforgiving about sizing? I'm not a large woman, but I'll be darned if I don't end up in a large in wetsuits. Boo. :smiley21:

mmmmmm chocolate!

Actually I have the same problem, but I am just a giant. 6'5" 245lbs. Jeans are a pain too :)

gthomas
04-14-2008, 16:38
I went to scuba toys this week-end to try on suits. I put it off for a long time. I'm 5'10". I just knew it was going to be a pain. They were very helpful and after trying on only 4 suits found the one for me. I bought a Henderson Hyprestretch. by the way not cheap, but it fit and I know thats what count.

ChrisA
04-14-2008, 16:58
I bought a Henderson Hyprestretch. by the way not cheap, but it fit and I know thats what count.

A full custom wetsuit costs about $350. There is no question that it will fit perfectly.

But there is another reason to go custom. The off the rack suites fit only becaue they are made out of "ultra-soft hyper stretch stuff". They have to do this so that each size can fit many body shapes. But the custom wetsuit can be made with a stiffer, more durable and warmmer material because it depends on "cut" rather then stretch to fit.

To make the neoprene softer they simply add more bubbles and less rubber the walls between the cells are thinner. The hyper stretch suit will compress more with depth and rip up faster in use.

If $350 is just to much for about $50 the same people who make the custom suits can modify an off the rack suit by taking in ot letting out side seams. You if you are tall and thin maybe get a large then have the seams from under arms to the knees taken in slightly (or they can add a side panel if you have outgrown the sut)

mentalmarine
04-14-2008, 17:23
Anyone have information about someone who makes custom suits?

snarkyone
04-15-2008, 11:05
No personal experience, but I've heard wonderful things about LiquidFit.Com ~ Wetsuits That Fit Like They Were Poured On You. (http://www.liquidfit.com/) A guy who dives with LDS makes my DH (6'6" 345 lbs) look small bought a suit from them and loves it.

CompuDude
04-16-2008, 01:02

WetWear and LiquidFit are the two I hear about most.

Terrapin and JMJ get some nods, too.

TRACI
04-16-2008, 08:18

I'm editing to correct myself - I'm only 5'8", so not that tall in the grand scheme of things, just have long limbs. I'm tired of having things end halfway to my ankles and wrists, damnitall!

I have a Thermoprene Shorty and a full wetsuit. I love it, even though I am not as tall as you, these wetsuits seem to have alot of stretch.

ChrisA
04-16-2008, 15:47

The only one I know about is the one that is close to where I live. There web site is not great but at least it was their contact info. The two that run the comany used to work at Body Glove but then when BG moved their manufacturing overseas they formed their own company.

New Page 2 (http://www.jmjwetsuits.com/)

Panchita
04-17-2008, 10:26
This wetsuit was such a pleasant surprise! I was looking at Henderson, Bar and Pinacle because I have a short body and very long limbs - usually need a tall size. I was worried about the size chart, but the suit is on sale for a very good price, so I went for it. Fit is outstanding - long enough, snug seal but not too tight, easy to get on and off. If anything, I think they run large, so try either regular size or even one down. I've got a 34 inch inseam, and this hit my ankles easily and comfortably.

I LOVE buying wetsuits! :smiley20:

DollFin
04-18-2008, 02:11
I'm also 5'8" and "hour-glass-y". So far I'm a Henderson fan, but I also have a 3mm by Waterproof Gear that I love - if you don't mind your wetsuit looking like a superheroine costume, check them out! (I gotta admit, I feel darn sexy in mine! LOL)

CamaroChick
04-18-2008, 13:11
I just bought one of the new Thermoprene l/s shorty suits, and I love it! Nice comprimise of quality and price. I'm 5'7" and thin, and have the same trouble with arms/legs being too short - drives me CRAZY! I tried on a full Hyperstretch suit, and both the arms and legs were too short. Henderson does have tall sizes, but I was told that not all the suits are available in tall. My l/s shorty is fine though... arms are the teensiest bit short, but not too bad.

Why do clothing designers think that height and weight are in direct proportion to each other?? So the taller you are, the bigger your waist is? Urgh!

DollFin
04-18-2008, 13:36
Why do clothing designers think that height and weight are in direct proportion to each other?? So the taller you are, the bigger your waist is? Urgh!

I hear ya!! I'm just tall enough to where many "regular sized" pants and jeans are a tad too short for me. I wear a size 8, but in most cases, if there are "tall" sizes available, they start at 10 or 12! It's frustrating - you can find petites EVERYWHERE, but affordable clothing for us taller gals is next to IMPOSSIBLE to find! unless you also happen to be a larger size.

CompuDude
04-18-2008, 13:51
I'm also 5'8" and "hour-glass-y". So far I'm a Henderson fan, but I also have a 3mm by Waterproof Gear that I love - if you don't mind your wetsuit looking like a superheroine costume, check them out! (I gotta admit, I feel darn sexy in mine! LOL)

I'm sorry I cannot follow what you are saying at all and must see photos immediately.

:smiley2:

Panchita
04-18-2008, 15:06
I'm sorry I cannot follow what you are saying at all and must see photos immediately.

:smiley2:

SHARK!!!!!