PDA

View Full Version : How many lights do you have?

aprilgoddess1987
04-10-2008, 15:50
I noticed on a night dive a diver that lloked like a christmas tree with lights on his mask bcd and hands, he had at least 5 lights on him is this over kill, how many lights do you carry? According to AOW your suppose to have a primary, secondary, and a backup but how many people follow this rule

MSilvia
04-10-2008, 16:00
I generally carry two photon torpedo "scout style" backup lights on all dives, and may bring one of my primaries either as a hand-held or video light depending on the dive. I also have a nice OMERsub Moonlight light that used to be my only dive light, and now is a general use waterproof flashlight.

ChrisA
04-10-2008, 16:28
I noticed on a night dive a diver that lloked like a christmas tree with lights on his mask bcd and hands, he had at least 5 lights on him is this over kill, how many lights do you carry? According to AOW your suppose to have a primary, secondary, and a backup but how many people follow this rule

I do a few night dives. Try to go once a week. Maybe I have 200 of them in so I see what the other guys have as well as what I like.

I always have a primary. If I had the bucks it would be an HID canister light, no question. But I don't have one. I use either my UK C8 eLED or my UK D8. Mostly I take the big dumb D8. My backup is always some AA cell powered light that takes eithe four or 6 cells. That's enough. Some times durring lobster season I'l take a small light and mount it to my mask strap as a head light so I have both hands free for hunting

You DO need a backup light. without a light you'd have to abort the dive right away because yo' have no way to read your SPG. I can dive without a computer or compass but not without an SPG.

Once my buddies HID light failed. He went for his backup. The backup worked OK in theparking lot but was flooded. I was going to give him my backup light but he waived it off. We continued on with just my primary. After about five more minutes of tapping and knocking his HID came back to life. So,... I've seen a diver loose both lights on the same dive so maybe three is not a bad idea. But then again in open water rec diving loosing both lights is not a major emergency. On the other hand I've known divers wo alway turn on two lights and leave them both on the whole dive because they can't deal with total darkness.

BSea
04-10-2008, 16:33
I almost always take a light with me on a dive even if it's a sunny day. On a night dive, I'll usually take a primary and a backup. I have taken 3 before, but not often.

I have a Edge handheld HID ligh (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=EdgeBrightstarHIDTorch)t. I generally only use that for night dives, or deep dives in the lake where at 100' it's almost like night.

I just bought an Oxycheq 3 watt LED backup light (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OxyCheq_3_Watt_LED_Backup_Li ght) that will be my primary when I don't bring My HID, and will be my backup when I do.

I have a Salvo Rat light (http://www.salvosupply.com/inc/sdetail/741) that has been my backup. I might start bringing 3 lights along now when I use my HID.

I have a few other lights that have become just good quality flashlights.

I also have a couple of small tank lights because some charters require them for night dives.

Sounder
04-10-2008, 16:47
I run a primary Salvo HID and carry 2 back-ups, one under each arm.

mwhities
04-10-2008, 16:47
I have three lights.

My primary:

ScubaGearPro (http://www.scubagearpro.com/product_info.php?cPath=225_230_274&products_id=1613)

and my back ups:

:: INTOVA :: (http://www.intova.net/torch.html)

I get to dive with all three the first time this weekend. Yay!

mwhities
04-10-2008, 16:48

Sounds familiar to mine. :)

scubarobin
04-10-2008, 16:54
If we take down lights on a day dive (only if we aren't carrying the camera or video rigs) then we just take one light.
On night dives we have tank lights and one primary light each. One of us carries a backup light, small one only. I HATE it when people do night dives with those HUGE lights! Its like an aircraft carrier coming in for a landing. I want to see the fishlife out walking around, not running for their lives for fear of getting burned to death by the monster SUN attacking them underwater. :smiley11:

CompuDude
04-10-2008, 17:18

Ditto. Although sometimes I leave the third light at home, if the dives planned are easy, particularly during the day.

I *always* have my Salvo 21w HID and at least one PT backup, however.

mentalmarine
04-10-2008, 17:22
On the night dives I have done I took my C8 light and have a secondary under my right arm.

UCFKnightDiver
04-10-2008, 17:34
have two but am gettine another very soon, one in my hand, the other in a bcd pocket currently. I need to put bolt snaps on them but havent yet

Sounder
04-10-2008, 17:37
If we take down lights on a day dive (only if we aren't carrying the camera or video rigs) then we just take one light.
On night dives we have tank lights and one primary light each. One of us carries a backup light, small one only. I HATE it when people do night dives with those HUGE lights! Its like an aircraft carrier coming in for a landing. I want to see the fishlife out walking around, not running for their lives for fear of getting burned to death by the monster SUN attacking them underwater. :smiley11:

Then you REALLY wouldn't want to see what came in the mail from Salvo this week...:partyguy:

No Misses
04-11-2008, 08:39
On night dives I carry...
Primary light - UK D4
Backup - UK Mini Q40+ LED UK Mini Q40 Plus eLED Dive Light, Dive Lights, Underwater Kinetics, UK Mini Q40 Plus eLED Dive Light (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40minieLed)
Tank marker - Chem light stick
Emergency marker - Glo-Tube Glo Toob Fx Signaling Device, Dive Lights, ScubaToys, Glo Toob Fx Signaling Device (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Glo_Toob_FX)

I just received some new toys from ST.
I have upgraded from a mini Q40 to a Mini Q40+ LED (much brighter).
I also got a blue "Glo-Tube". I originally got it as a flag marker for night dives. But, after some subjective testing in the house, the glo tube appears to be brighter than my xenon gas strobe. I would not have guessed that an LED product could be brighter than a strobe. The burn time is much greater also.
Glo-Tube = 30-80 hours depending on mode (constant on or blinking)
Strobe = 4 hrs
The end result is that the glo tube will be replacing my strobe as an emergency marking device. I may have to get another one for the flag.:smiley20:

cmburch
04-11-2008, 10:38
I use UK lights and I am thinking about upgrading to eLED. I always carry a 4AA strapped to my gun. At night, I also have a 4C on my chest D-ring and maybe a 4D on my wrist. If diving with others, I may use a glow stick (white, blue, or green) or small tube light on my snorkel. The only sealife I have seen moving around at night are lobsters and harbor seals. The rest seem to be sleeping.

I imagine if someone came into my bedroom while I was sleeping and shined any light on me I would think I was being harassed. So imagine how the marine life feels. I think it is easier to spearfish halibut at night though.

buddhasummer
04-11-2008, 11:12
night dives: DiveRite LED 500 primary
Solus/Oxycheq backup

tedwhiteva
04-11-2008, 11:14
How many lights do I have? Too many!

terrillja
04-11-2008, 11:42

Then you REALLY wouldn't want to see what came in the mail from Salvo this week...:partyguy:
Hmm, Havoc 50W HID?

texdiveguy
04-11-2008, 11:53
I own 5 dive lights.....use them in various configurations based on my needs.

Sounder
04-11-2008, 13:38

Hmm, Havoc 50W HID?

:banana:

Neptune
04-11-2008, 14:25
I have more than I can carry on any given dive. What I use depends on the dive. Cave it's 2 PT's and a cannister primary. CCR on a deep reef in the caribe it's just the 2 PT's. Some night dives in the Gulf the boat has rules about how many you have to carry. Local mud holes in the day time=none. Commercial dives=none---you can't see anyway.

Splitlip
04-13-2008, 08:43
I always carry one clipped off in a pocket. Day or night.

For night dives I carry 3. My primary, a backup attached to my harness shoulder strap and the one clipped off in my pocket. Nothing dangles.

Friday night, ocean dive, I saw a diver's primary (and only) dive light fail. He had to use another's backup.

Dieseler
04-19-2008, 20:54
Right now just a Q40 eLED and SL4, but I think I'm going to get an OxyCheck Backup to replace the Q40 and the Q40 will become a car light or something.

Eventually... going to have to make my own canister light though!

Now non-dive lights? WAY too many!

LCF
04-20-2008, 13:02
My 21W Salvo HID primary goes on every dive with me, and I almost always have one backup light, which is generally a Halcyon Scout conversion with the UK SL4 eLED module in it. For night or cave dives, I carry a Salvo Rat Jr. as a second backup light.

I don't even want to think about how many lights I actually HAVE. When it got to three HID primaries, it got silly.

reactive
04-20-2008, 13:04
I plan on buying this:
UK Pro Pak, Light Paks, Underwater Kinetics, UK Pro Pak (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=UKlLightKnifeKit)
One main light and one backup.

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 17:19
I plan on buying this:
UK Pro Pak, Light Paks, Underwater Kinetics, UK Pro Pak (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=UKlLightKnifeKit)
One main light and one backup.
I have two. One princeton and a small ikelite that I like.

scubasamurai
04-20-2008, 18:44
realisticly i have two lights a c4 uk light and a small ikelite and some gloob tube on the tank for night and sink diving. and being honest sometimes i wish i had 10 lights for some of those sink holes nothing like doing a night dive in the middle of the day hahaha

aprilgoddess1987
04-20-2008, 19:15
I always dive with three two Princeton tecs and nemo as a back up

Largo
04-20-2008, 19:19
I have two lights. I have an awesome Pelican divelight that was made 20 years ago, is bigger than a bread-basket, and works great. I also have an (expletive deleted) piece of (expletive deleted) Ikelite, that doesn't work worth an (expletive deleted).

Sounder
04-21-2008, 16:05
My 21W Salvo HID primary goes on every dive with me, and I almost always have one backup light, which is generally a Halcyon Scout conversion with the UK SL4 eLED module in it. For night or cave dives, I carry a Salvo Rat Jr. as a second backup light.

I don't even want to think about how many lights I actually HAVE. When it got to three HID primaries, it got silly.

... but it's not silly to have an extra HID when your favorite dive buddy sold his old one and hadn't yet received his new one!! :smiley2: