PDA

View Full Version : What are your personal rules on diving?

aprilgoddess1987
04-10-2008, 17:15
Other than the taught rules, such as do not go into an overhead enviroment unless trained. Don't go into a cave unless trained. Always dive your plan. What are some of the personal rules that you set your self about scuba diving. I have two big ones, always dive with some one that is of equal training, and not play with any sea life.

mentalmarine
04-10-2008, 17:17
One rule Dive as much as possible! Ok maybe that wasnt what you were looking for. I dont necessarly have any rules that are hard and firm besides the ones that I was taught. My only rule I really have for myself is never to rush things, that goes for training and dive planning.

UCFKnightDiver
04-10-2008, 17:31
always carry a light (if i can in some fl state parks that becomes a big problem)

Sounder
04-10-2008, 17:41
1. I always respect the wildlife as though I'm an invited guest in their home... because I feel like I am.

2. I always plan my dives within "Rock Bottom" parameters.

3. I always remember rule #1.

scubasamurai
04-10-2008, 17:46
for me
1. no drinking and diving messes with my head
2. no playing with your female buddies
3. stop and look , why are we in a rush swimming all around a site, we can come back!

on a serious note
4."chance favors the prepared mind" always train and be ready for the unexpected!! the extra second and right gear might save your life or that of a buddy .

cummings66
04-10-2008, 17:56
I have a rule that whoever I dive with, regardless of skill level, we will never exceed the training/comfort level of the lesser skilled diver.

Additionally as a buddy I expect you to be at my side, not above, below, or 20 feet away from me. I want to be able to render help and receive it if needed.

To be fair, I think limiting your dive buddies to those of equal or better skills is not nice. As a new diver I had the benefit of experienced divers diving with me, showing me the ropes so to speak. For me to not return the favor, pay it back as you will, it is unthinkable for me to behave that way. I will dive with anybody from just out of OW to more skilled than I dare dream.

ChrisA
04-10-2008, 17:57
always dive with some one that is of equal training,

That seems wrong for two reasons

When I was new would it even have been safe to run off into the ocean with another brand new OW diver? I was glad there were experianced divers willing to dive with me. How else can one learn? Now that I've finished a few clases how many divers have the same stack of C-cards I do. Should I refuse to dive with anyone who does not also have a NAUI Master Diver card? What if My buddy has an instructor card and I don't can we no longer dive togther? I'll dive with anyone who has an OW card and is compitent to do the dive.

I'd say the more often this rule is broken the better In fact every experianced diver should offer to dive with a new diver and new divers should seek out the more experianced divers.

texdiveguy
04-10-2008, 17:59
Never becoming complacent.

Always striving to enjoy myself.

cummings66
04-10-2008, 18:08
In fact every experianced diver should offer to dive with a new diver and new divers should seek out the more experianced divers.

Some of my most memorable dives have been with buddies light years ahead of me in skills. It gives me a benchmark for where I want to be, and I honestly appreciate that they'll dive with somebody such as myself.

My basic rule is, don't do anything that will kill either one of us.

In fact, it's why I'm refusing to dive with my buddy on an upcoming dive. I think the dive exceeds his skills and I know he's going to go deep, he's not ready for it and I can't tell him otherwise. I will not do that dive with him. I'm going to stay home and hope he comes home with a story to tell. There is only so many ways I can say don't do it, I've tried everything from it's too deep, dangerous, lack the training, you'll only get one dive in if you do the dive, to finally I'm not doing it with you. How many ways can I say if you do it and live it's by shear luck. I'm not going with you to needlessly put my life in danger trying to save yours. Not that I'm better, but I know my limits and I know my buddies.

That's one of my rules, I will only dive within our abilities. I strive to improve my skills every dive I do, I'm never content to stay still where I'm at. Both mentally and skill wise.

The above is what I consider as part of the mentoring process and why I dive with those less skilled. I am trying to instill the skills and knowledge to do the harder dives, and I appreciate those that do the same for me. Especially now that I'm entering the realm of technical diving. I need all the help I can find.

texdiveguy
04-10-2008, 18:18
Especially now that I'm entering the realm of technical diving.

That sounds spooky!!!

Smashee
04-10-2008, 19:06
1. Always ensure that no. of ascents = no. of descents. :smiley36:

2. I'm not as good as I think I am. Neither are you.
(In other words, don't get complacent and remember that buddies aren't infallible.)

3. If I'm not having fun, I shouldn't be doing it.

4. Gear before beer.
(Post-dive, get the equipment washed and hung up to dry or checked and stowed before cracking a cold one!)

Splitlip
04-10-2008, 19:24
stay tuned up; with skills, equipment and buoyancy.

If conditions don't allow me to dive for weeks, I will go out and do 15 ft beach dives inside the Palm Beach Inlet. Practice skills and buoyancy.

I regularly inpsect my gear, even if I am not diving.
I am going out tomorrow night. Just spent the last hour or so inspecting, pressurizing, etc. You won't see me hissing and pooping o-rings before the dive.

Be prepared. My save a dive will let me do most any field fix. I have a DIN reg and DIN tanks, but carry a DIN to yoke converter in my save a dive. I am diving my daughter's reg tomorrow. She has an SS1 which I have put on my Oxycheq wing. Used it last weekend as well. Just in case I have packed a standard inflator hose, inflator and octo.

I run emergency scenarios through me head when I am diving. Like riding a bike, I always "assumed" the cage driver up ahead was going to make a left turn in front of me. I have fun, but stay "on" too.

oddbod
04-11-2008, 04:49
1. Always ensure that no. of ascents = no. of descents. :smiley36:

2. I'm not as good as I think I am. Neither are you.
(In other words, don't get complacent and remember that buddies aren't infallible.)

3. If I'm not having fun, I shouldn't be doing it.

4. Gear before beer.
(Post-dive, get the equipment washed and hung up to dry or checked and stowed before cracking a cold one!)

Fully agree, :smiley32: except the last one, I like those liveaboards where they clean up for you :smilie39:

Zenagirl
04-11-2008, 07:20
1. You can call a dive at any time for any reason, period.
2. No touching the marine life.
3. Secure your danglies.
4. Check for your buddy often and stay close.
5. Be alert and aware...you never know when something cool is nearby! ;)

Foo2
04-11-2008, 11:50
Never becoming complacent.

Always striving to enjoy myself.

+1 :smiley20: :smiley32:

navyhmc
04-11-2008, 13:58
1. If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
2. Don't be stupid!
3. Plan your dive and dive your plan.
4. There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are no old, bold divers.
5. Surviving something stupid is more luck than planning-Karma is a real Biatch, don't piss her off.
6. Even if you use a computer, don't forget to take along your brain as well. Continue to plan your dives. (for me, this includes looking at the dive planning on the computer after 10 minutes and getting a surface group off the tables as a reference)
7. Have fun.
8. Don't do something stupid
9. If it doesn't seem right, don't do it.
10 Have fun.

fisheater
04-11-2008, 20:14
To be fair, I think limiting your dive buddies to those of equal or better skills is not nice. As a new diver I had the benefit of experienced divers diving with me, showing me the ropes so to speak. For me to not return the favor, pay it back as you will, it is unthinkable for me to behave that way. I will dive with anybody from just out of OW to more skilled than I dare dream.

As a newbie who has been blessed to dive with experienced and patient buddies, I want to thank you on all of our behalves.

Mycroft
04-11-2008, 20:51
I have learned a few things.

1. If you have a temporary crown, don't dive until the permanent is in. (It's only a couple of weeks!)
2. Only make one change or upgrade in the life support cycle per dive. Once that one is checked out, then move on to the next one.
3. My buddy is my buddy during the dive. No same ocean, same day buddies for me!
4. I WILL familarize myself with your gear before the dive. It could be MY lifesupport at the end.
5. Any diver may call any dive at any time, no questions asked. After we are safe on the surface, THEN I will ask what happened. If it keeps happening, I will find another buddy.
6. Know your limits and do not be afraid of them, or embarassed. Better to call the dive today and do it another day.
7. It is about enjoying ourselves, not about numbers. When it stops being fun, then it is time to quit.
8. I'm a photographer. It is incompatible with some other divng types. Let's not push it.

cutter77
04-11-2008, 23:29
1) Stay in shape
2) Keep gear in shape

and....

don't get complacent.

cummings66
04-12-2008, 07:07
I had a temporary crown and asked my Dentist if it was OK to dive, he said yes so I did. I had absolutely no problems and I went as deep as 138 feet. I think it's more important how they prepare it than anything else, make sure you tell them you dive and you can't have any air gaps or leaks in there.

Otherwise, on a temporary I could see blowing it off the tooth.