PDA

View Full Version : Layer Hoods?

DarinMartell
04-11-2008, 00:34
For colder diving would it make sense to layer two 5mm hoods? I have one that I got a really good price on but they only have 5mm's. I was thinking about getting a second one.

ChrisA
04-11-2008, 01:26
For colder diving would it make sense to layer two 5mm hoods? I have one that I got a really good price on but they only have 5mm's. I was thinking about getting a second one.

It would work but it might be to tight unless the second hood was a larger size. Actually a 5mm hood is plenty warm and good to maybe 50F. if the rest of your suit is doing its job. But then I see where you live. You might be in water colder than 50F

In general layering is not 100% effective. two 5mm layer does not make 10mm. Figure the second layer is only half effective

Be carful a to-tight hood s not good especially if it is tight around the nec

MSilvia
04-11-2008, 07:08
IMHO You'd be better off with a single 7mm. That thickness has kept me comfortable on repetitive ice dives without causing any uncomfortable squeeze.

CODMAN
04-11-2008, 07:41
Yes, hoods are touchy since they will often add a degree of squeeze around the neck. If you don't feel squeeze, you could always try it. It will give more insulation. But my cold water hood is already plenty tight; I wouldn't want to add any onto that... Comfort might be the limiting factor here...
:smiley20:

WV Diver
04-11-2008, 07:49
I have a 7mm and have no issues regarding cold down to about 48F. I don't usually go below that temp. The 7mm hood is very doable and warm and usually not the weakest link in you thermal protection.

If the price is really good I might grab the 5mm and try it before getting a 7mm. It should keep you toasty. Having never tried a 5mm myself I really can't make comparisons between the two, but having some experience with cold water I would speculate that the 5mm should perform well.

Everyone has differing tolerances to cold and you will need to do your own experimenting to find your preferences.

DarinMartell
04-11-2008, 11:23
Lake MI was 43 at depth last Aug so that is the temp I am looking at. The hood I have is from Tommy D Sports, S & L are $7, XL $10. I am going to order a 7mm suit from them for $80 so I think I will get another hood to try out. For $10 it is worth a try.

texdiveguy
04-11-2008, 11:58
You have to do what you think is best for you.....

I see no benefit in doubling up hoods....you will find a better thermal/comfort effect with a quality 7mil hood for cold waters ...... I do have an ice cap I can don under the hood for super long cold water dives.

DarinMartell
04-11-2008, 14:26
I'm going to try the two hoods, if it is uncomfortable then I will try the "ice cap" idea and cut the hood down and see how that works. For $10 it's worth experimenting.

texdiveguy
04-11-2008, 15:24
I'm going to try the two hoods, if it is uncomfortable then I will try the "ice cap" idea and cut the hood down and see how that works. For $10 it's worth experimenting.

Yea at 10 bucks it probably is....let us know what you find out.