PDA

View Full Version : That's it..I'm Done with my LDS

Athena2c
04-11-2008, 10:41
I tried, I really did. I like the owners and like to do business locally. Don't get me wrong, we have bought a lot online, but have bought a few things, taken classes and gotten repairs from the LDS. That's where the problem is!

Long story short...my husband and I took our regulators in for service in October. I told them 'no hurry' since our next dive trip wasn't until January...guess that was a mistake. Their tech ended up leaving for weeks with our regs taken apart, and I wasn't getting calls back. Had to talk to the owner and complain to get the regs a week before we left for the Bahamas (they had them 2 months). Plus we got charged an outrageous sum for the work.
On our trip, hubby's reg works, but it making an annoying honking sound. So, in Feb we bring it back and tech says he'll work on it. Hubby gets one call about it about 3 weeks later...and then..nothing. Hubby calls 10 days ago, and first problem is they have the order under his ex-wife's name (don't know how that happened-it has been under his name the whole time before) and they say he can't pick it up because it is all taken apart. He tells them fix the ex-wife thing and put it together. I call yesterday to get it...it is still all apart...I'm told someone will call and no one does. I call at the end of the day, and am told it is "next in line" to be worked on! WTF?! You have had it 2 months!!! AND they still have it under ex-wife's name and ask if I am her...ARGH! I was not nice...I left a message for the owners to call me and am supposed to pick it up today..not holding my breath.
They have lost our business. There are lots of shops around here in San Jose and Monterey, so we will be finding another!

frogman159
04-11-2008, 11:01
hopefully you'll find a better shop, that kind of service is what puts these shops out of business

scubasavvy
04-11-2008, 11:29
If I were an LDS, I'd be a little bit more responsible about that stuff. The online world is taking over sales, but convenience for a repair? Come on now...

Beaucoupfishies
04-11-2008, 12:09
Yep, if you want customers to come back, you need to give them a reason to come back.

divinginn
04-11-2008, 15:30
I had one take 2 months for a vip inspection on a tank.

mentalmarine
04-11-2008, 15:31
Geeeez, is there much competition around for these dive shops that are slacking?

maggs_the
04-11-2008, 15:38
eeeeesh... first mistake, shame on them....

i dont blame ya.. liking the owners is great but if they cant get their people to do the work... eesh.. actually, that sounds a bit familiar.

and to add insult to injury with the ex-wife name calling?!?!

in my area tho, there're arent many other dive shops so i do what i gotta do but that's ALL i do.

CompuDude
04-11-2008, 16:19
FWIW, ScubaToys reg service is prompt, reasonably priced, and done well.

Something to consider. :)

Athena2c
04-11-2008, 16:27
Well, the reg was ready for me to pick up, but not fixed...they said we have to call the manufacturer. Also, still no call from the owners.

You'd think with all the online stores, the LDS would do what they can to keep customers, especially for things like repair.

Calling me the ex's name was just the icing on the cake :smiley29:

divinginn
04-11-2008, 17:31
Geeeez, is there much competition around for these dive shops that are slacking?

there is quite a few but that one is closest,but have been driving 20 minutes further to one with better service and attitude,if I had the attitude some of the shops around have I would be out of business in a month.

Sounder
04-11-2008, 17:37
I drive for 30 minutes (if there is no traffic) one-way to go to my dive shop. I pass 5 other shops on the way... and that's just the most direct route!! There everywhere around Puget Sound, and most of them suck for one reason or another. If you're ever up here, NW Sports Divers in Kenmore, WA (north end of Lake Washington) is the best shop, and the only one I'll allow to touch my gear.

cmburch
04-11-2008, 17:53
I tried, I really did. I like the owners and like to do business locally. Don't get me wrong, we have bought a lot online, but have bought a few things, taken classes and gotten repairs from the LDS. That's where the problem is!

...I left a message for the owners to call me and am supposed to pick it up today..not holding my breath.
They have lost our business. There are lots of shops around here in San Jose and Monterey, so we will be finding another!

What is the name of the shop? And what brand of Regs? I have always had good service at AWS and Wet Pleasure.

Athena2c
04-11-2008, 17:53

...I left a message for the owners to call me and am supposed to pick it up today..not holding my breath.

What is the name of the shop? And what brand Regs?

I'm not planning to name the shop here, but feel free to send me a PM if you are interested.

The reg is old and probably needs to be replaced (it's hubby's..US Diver's Direct I think), but the issue for me is more about the length of time it took, the lack of communication, and the "no-call-backs."
They had no problem having my reg ready for me right away..of course I got it from them :smiley5:

cmburch
04-11-2008, 18:08
Yes, I have an old US Divers SEA that both shops have worked on, but Aqua Lung has discontinued parts on the SEA. I think they want me to buy a $600 Legend. Good Luck! I hope everything works out.

Ohio_diver16
04-13-2008, 00:04
That's an atrocity, you expect service like that from the IRS but not your LDS!

elijahb
05-01-2008, 14:38
wow I am lucky i have 3 LDS withing 10 mins of my house. Not bad for alberta...