PDA

View Full Version : This Is Where I Draw The Line...

scubasavvy
04-11-2008, 11:51
$88 for a snorkel. The thing comes with a manual...Kapitol Reef (http://www.kapitolreef.com/)

Here are the Quick Highlights from the website:

As the first of its kind, we hope to help you better understand why the Kapitol Reef snorkel is so different and what you can come to expect from it. We believe that our snorkel will greatly improve your snorkeling experience and change your perspectives on underwater breathing.

1) Exhalation Pressure:
The Kapitol Reef snorkel is the only snorkel ever designed to regulate exhalation pressure. A series of precision valves allow swimmers and divers to maintain physiologically correct pressures and optimize their lung function. Conventional snorkels force shallow panicked breathing that is both inconsistent and uncomfortable. The Kapitol Reef snorkel encourages deep, even breaths that support lung volumes, promote better gas exchange in the lungs and spare inhalation muscles from fatigue. Stay in the water longer with Kapitol Reef.Say what? It's not a life support system, its a plastic tube. Better gas exchange? Compared to what, breathing above water through a straw?

2) Dryness:
The Kapitol Reef snorkel is extremely dry with proper use. Simply apply a gentle exhalation pressure and the inhalation chamber will seal and stay dry during a dive. While this is very natural, it is also different from other ďdryĒ snorkels. Conventional designs rely on a float valve and vacuum seal to maintain dryness and may flood if any exhalation takes place while submersed. After using the Kapitol Reef snorkel for a short while, you too will feel the great comfort and security that comes naturally from this improved approach to dryness.Any snorkel can be extremely dry with proper use, especially if you have a purge valve at the bottom of it.

3) Purge Operations
Kaptiol Reef separates inhaled air from exhaled carbon dioxide. The exhalation tube is intentionally unprotected and will flood with single-breath dives. Donít worry. This water will not get into the inhalation chamber and you will not breathe it. The water will exit with the next relaxed exhalation. There is no need to ever blast water out. Simply exhale normally while resurfacing, rather than waiting until you are on top. This technique allows you to take a breath immediately upon resurfacing and results in easier / quieter operation.
Wow, again, purge valve? The water usually does exits with the next relaxed exhalation.

4) Gurgle
As a result of separating exhaled air from inhaled air, a small gurgle can sometimes be heard during exhalation. Unlike threatening gurgles in other snorkels, Kapitol Reefís exhalation gurgle actually confirms that the inhalation chambers are dry and that you will not breathe water. To minimize and/or eliminate this gurgle, simply perform the preferred purge operation while resurfacing, as described above.Can someone please explain to me what a threatening gurgle is? And of course, their gurgle is not threatening at all.

5) Snag Free Clip

To attach a mask to your Kapitol Reef snorkel, gently pull the clip outward at its lower end and slide the maskís strap under its tabs. Do not remove the clip from the snorkel as this may weaken its attachment arms.
We are very confident in the Kapitol Reef snorkel. It has been proven in very harsh conditions and has been enthusiastically received by persons of all ages and experience levels. Kadence Technology, Inc. stands fully behind the integrity of this outstanding product.I have a $3 velcro snorkel keeper that I can just detach by pulling. God forbid you remove the clip from the snorkel, they have week attachment arms...because it's just a plastic snorkel.

Do people really buy this stuff?

mentalmarine
04-11-2008, 11:53
Geeeeeeeeeez, its a snorkel, this is crazy!!

Beaucoupfishies
04-11-2008, 12:19
You missed the part about how it can send text messages, finds wi-fi hot spots, has programmable diver tunes, and you can attach optional spinning rims on it.

Black-Gorrilla
04-11-2008, 12:30
http://www.kapitolreef.com/images/kadence_regulator.gif
Kadence Regulator
Uniquely regulates exhalation pressure and reclaims lung function lost to the compressive forces of the aquatic environment.

http://www.kapitolreef.com/images/air_exchange_port.gif
Air Exchange Ports
Separates inhaled air from exhaled air. Maintains pressure and auto-purge during each exhalation.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHHHAAAAA!!!!!!!!

this is tooo funny!!!
but the atomic snorkle is right there at 55 and 65 dollars... (but the look really well made, REALLY well)

BSea
04-11-2008, 12:51
That's pretty expensive for a dive bag decoration.

Penguino
04-11-2008, 12:52
This sounds like a fantastic way for a company to prey on new and unknowledgeable scuba divers/snorklers. As one, I find it grossly offensive. Great case of capitolism run amok.

thor
04-11-2008, 12:52
I heard that this snorkel, when used correctly, will actually make you a better person.

scubasavvy
04-11-2008, 12:56
I heard that this snorkel, when used correctly, will actually make you a better person.
:smilie39:

MSilvia
04-11-2008, 13:02
I don't know about that, but it's a safe bet it'll make you a less wealthy one.

frogman159
04-11-2008, 13:16
Geez, I got my Mare's spacesaver snorkel for $5 from ST

DollFin
04-11-2008, 21:10
Will it do my taxes for me??? Sheesh!

RikRaeder
04-12-2008, 04:32
You'd look like a chump if you wore a lesser snorkel with your $800 fins:
Extra Force Fin Tan Delta - The Snappiest: Force Fin (http://www.forcefin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XTTD&Category_Code=51&Product_Count=6)

and $1500 mask:
ScubaToys-SF Search Engine Output Page (http://scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=datamask)

Now to design my five hundred dollar booties...

RikRaeder
04-12-2008, 04:42
http://www.kapitolreef.com/images/kadence_regulator.gif
Kadence Regulator
Uniquely regulates exhalation pressure and reclaims lung function lost to the compressive forces of the aquatic environment.

http://www.kapitolreef.com/images/air_exchange_port.gif
Air Exchange Ports
Separates inhaled air from exhaled air. Maintains pressure and auto-purge during each exhalation.

There go the spinning rims

navyhmc
04-12-2008, 05:17
The thoery behind seems sounds. If it works as advertised, it will definitely drop the dead space while inhaling (I figure about 15%-20% less dead air space) Would make a difference on dives while snorkelling. Not sure it's worth $88, but for some it might be a good deal.

coyote
04-12-2008, 08:01
This is what happens when you give the marketing department a plastic tube and let them run amok. Sadly, this kind of advertising sometimes works. Thereís always going to be a group who either donít know any better, have more money then brains, or both.
I wonder how long it will take for these things to be up on ebay?

MicahEW
04-12-2008, 09:01
3) Purge Operations
Kaptiol Reef separates inhaled air from exhaled carbon dioxide. The exhalation tube is intentionally unprotected and will flood with single-breath dives. Donít worry. This water will not get into the inhalation chamber and you will not breathe it. The water will exit with the next relaxed exhalation. There is no need to ever blast water out. Simply exhale normally while resurfacing, rather than waiting until you are on top. This technique allows you to take a breath immediately upon resurfacing and results in easier / quieter operation.[/quote]
Wow, again, purge valve? The water usually does exits with the next relaxed exhalation.

they teach in my NAUI scuba book the technique of exhaleing with you head tilted back to clear the snorkel for breathing once on the surface.
they make it sound like their snorkel is the only one that can do this.

scubasavvy
04-12-2008, 16:21
they teach in my NAUI scuba book the technique of exhaling with you head tilted back to clear the snorkel for breathing once on the surface.
they make it sound like their snorkel is the only one that can do this.

They make it sound like it breathes for you. It's absolutely crazy. I think my instructor would laugh at me if I ever showed up with that thing...and the receipt for it.

FishFood
04-12-2008, 16:34
Sport Diver gave it "Editor's Pick", and it was an ISPO finalist. Sport Diver has had it atleast twice in their magazine and gave it the thumbs up both times. Besides, yall ever think there just might be a market outside the scuba market?

scubasamurai
04-12-2008, 16:56
will it help me get the sexy girl in the wetsuit in the next thread???

scubasavvy
04-12-2008, 16:58
Sport Diver gave it "Editor's Pick", and it was an ISPO finalist. Sport Diver has had it atleast twice in their magazine and gave it the thumbs up both times. Besides, yall ever think there just might be a market outside the scuba market?

Sport Diver is known to give "Editor's Picks" and excellent reviews if they're paid enough or if they get free gear. A friend of mine used to work for them. Can't judge anything by Sport Diver...

FishFood
04-12-2008, 17:22
Everyone always knows someone that worked somewhere that says a media source can't be trusted. Regaurdless, what could a small start up company such as Kapitol Reef offer? All the user reviews of this snorkel say it's great. THe only people bashing it are those whom haven't tried it. This is your typical boutique item: it's new, interesting, different, and you pay for it.

RikRaeder
04-12-2008, 20:22
Honestly, maybe these kinds of things do work, and if I were made of money, I'd probably be festooned with such gizmos. To the real Rik Raeder (who isn't really Rik Raeder) it just seems absurd to spend so much because I don't have such money. I'm just a working girl.

IrishSquid
04-12-2008, 20:29
It looks and sounds like it would make a great prop that Cheech and Chong could use. No need for a power hitter with that thing!
(edit: uhh.., so I've heard)

elijahb
04-30-2008, 21:50
sounds like a money maker to me. A bit of a scam. Who needs an instruction manual anyway it is not rocket science.

ratown
04-30-2008, 21:54
Geeze, I don't even like the blow valves on the mouthpiece. This thing is way extravagant.

comet24
04-30-2008, 22:05
This thing is a POS. I had the chance to try one at the Travel Expo in DC about a month ago. OK the water was only 4 feet deep but that was deep enough to know the thing sucks. You have to breath in and out at the rate the snorkel thinks you should. Is also huge. Get some water in it and try to clear it. Remember you can't just blow out of it quickly because it regulates your breathing.

mixahl
04-30-2008, 22:21
I love how it says 'most technologically advanced'.....for a snorkel!!

FyVe
04-30-2008, 22:33

absolutely. this gets you 15% more air out of a tank.
who pays that much for a snorkel? u can get a used AL80 tank for less than that... and that gives you like an hour on the bottom.

Penguino
04-30-2008, 23:34

Me too. Snorkels aren't supposed to be 'technology'.

kingfish
05-01-2008, 05:42
Maybe it can be used during surface intervals as well.
Actually why not use it all the time.:smiley36:

Jas.

dallasdivergirl
05-01-2008, 08:23
sounds like a money maker to me. A bit of a scam. Who needs an instruction manual anyway it is not rocket science.

Work in a dive shop for a week or two. You will find that there are people who was ask for snorkel use instructions. I am NOT kidding.

hoobascooba
05-01-2008, 09:09
golly miss molly! and I thought my Oceanic "dry" snorkel was a bit pricey!!

...and I don't even use it anymore...

DiverMAN
05-01-2008, 09:10
I wouldn't but one of these even if I had the money...

Murloc
05-01-2008, 09:20
"if you can't dazzle them with brilliance...baffle them with bull$hit"

Grizbear98
05-01-2008, 09:53
lol it even has a video that shows you how to use it.

Penguino
05-01-2008, 10:37

Work in a dive shop for a week or two. You will find that there are people who was ask for snorkel use instructions. I am NOT kidding.

I would just tell them "breathe"...

skippy11
05-01-2008, 22:52
"if you can't dazzle them with brilliance...baffle them with bull$hit"

Dang, I agree. I don't even use my snorkel anymore. So, I can't imagine spending that much on one.

KACY
05-03-2008, 00:28
max i'd pay is for the oceanic snorkel that folds up and can go in BC pocket and that only like $35

Splitlip
05-03-2008, 08:10
I am not ready to hammer the product just yet.

It is not for Scuba for sure. I watched the video presentation though and it looks like it could benefit some folks.

I don't use a snorkel for scuba. Used a simple tube snorkeling most of my life. About 10 years ago I got talked into buying a "gimicky" TUSA Hyperdry for $20 or so. Made me a believer. So who knows what great things the latest rounds of technology will bring.

I remember when people laughed at BC's, octos and the first dive computers. I was also remember when people laughed at split fins and integrated octo/inflators. (well ok, some people still do) :)

DiverMom
05-03-2008, 10:33
It grabs us newbies who go in wide eyed and clueless. I was glad to read that we don't need the annoying snorkel after cert, then pissed that the dive shop didn't say anything and recommended a $70 snorkel. :zx11pissed: Oh well... :smiley9:

Splitlip
05-03-2008, 15:52
I am one of the biggest supporters of LDS, but that is crap. (unless you plan to use it snorkeling)

imasinker
05-03-2008, 16:12
Ya but does it come in Black?......... Sad thing is they probably sold a ton already...