PDA

View Full Version : No More Insta-Buddies for me.

TAH 73
08-02-2007, 14:06
In less than 24hrs Kala my Fiancee should be getting ready to complete her final OW dives and end a couple of years of insta-budies (it seemed like I ended up going diving with groups that we would end up with either 5 or 7 divers in trips).
I am actaully doing the OW checkout dives with her as I took this oppertunity to "refresh" some skills, and I end up getting a dual cert with IANTD as well.
Sunday end's off with her first charters, and may end up doing some shore dives either Sunday evening, or possibly Monday as it's a long weekend in the Great White North.
So Friday afternoon it's off to Tobermory Ontario.
Here's a link to where we are going.
http://www.diversden.ca/ds_map.html
Larry she also says thanks once again for getting her gear up to her so quick and keeping her little feet from freezing (ScubaToys is the only place we could find good quality XS fins, and size 4 wetsuit boots)

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 14:11
Insta-buddies scare me, I love that my wife dives too! ;)

Seriously though, I was on a drift dive once where the boat didn't bring enough flags for the dive. My wife was diving steel 100's and I was diving steel 120's. That gave us at least an hour underwater depending on the depth. The divemaster wanted to team us up with another couple who were brand new and diving 80's. I proceeded to tell him that if they sucked their air down in 20 minutes, my wife and i were going back down. He decided to change his plan... ;)

GatorSoul
08-02-2007, 16:38
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have a question. Maybe it's because I have a girlfriend, not wife and therefore do not understand the nuisances of marriage, but don't you ever want to go on more technically (not necessarily Tec) challenging dives that your partner does not want to go on? Insta-buddy or back-up Buddy?

My girlfriend, who was certified before me, enjoys reef diving solely. I am currently pursuing tec diving and I am in need of a new buddy because of it.

Nevertheless, Congrats to your Wife.

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 16:49
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have a question. Maybe it's because I have a girlfriend, not wife and therefore do not understand the nuisances of marriage, but don't you ever want to go on more technically (not necessarily Tec) challenging dives that your partner does not want to go on? Insta-buddy or back-up Buddy?

My girlfriend, who was certified before me, enjoys reef diving solely. I am currently pursuing tec diving and I am in need of a new buddy because of it.

Well, then you deal with what you can get. If i'm on vacation, I'm typically there to enjoy the dive with my wife. Locally I have a few friends that I dive with on the deep, cold, dark waters that my wife hates. I've also done solo dives in lieu of insta-buddies.

tx.lakerat
08-02-2007, 17:06
Lucky to have someone that can dive with you all the time! I have a "dive buddy" only on vacations!!

deepdiver47
08-02-2007, 19:44
As a single diver I travel extensively during my business/pleasure trips to Asia and on the way home, this boy dives.

Over the years I have grown to "think single" as well which is to say that I feel that I am the best person to take care of myself. I am not naive enough to think that I can't get over my head and get caught up in something.
But that is the risk that I take when i get in the water and it is well worth it.

So I think that the more single minded that you approach diving the better. IMHO, You tend to be more cautious before during your dive.

BigASG
08-02-2007, 19:52
Every certification agency stresses not diving alone and I for one can attest to the fact that is is just plain dangerous to do so.

My family was diving together with gear that was less than 3 years old & taken in every year for maintenance. Out of nowhere, my daughter's low pressure hose exploded. If she had been diving alone, she would not have had enough air to make it back to the shore. I was right there to hand her my Octo and we casually returned to do our safety stop and reach the shore. You never know when your equipment might fail.

DON'T DIVE ALONE, IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!

:smiley21:

the gooch
08-02-2007, 20:12
Instabuddies can be sketchy at times. I have had both good and bad but of course the bad ones stick in my mind. I am glad that my wife is certified and is my perma buddy when we are together. I also have regulars that I trust that are usually ready to dive whenever.

BTW your dive spot looks coooooold.

TAH 73
08-02-2007, 20:57

Who said she isn't going to go tech?
She chose to get certified by IANTD as well, and I can't see tooo much she isn't game for, sure I don't think she would be able to handle twin 120's in the water, but twin Steel 80's she might be game.

thor
08-02-2007, 21:10

My wife and I got certified together, as a sort of activity that we could always do together. She loves it but not to the extent that I do. I dive with her on vacations, but end up doing more advanced dives and courses without her, and forced to use insta buddies. If I wait for her to want to go diving, I end up diving a lot less. She is a little jealous that I have a lot more dives under my belt, but she has different priorities. Insta buddies aren't cheating.

TAH 73
08-02-2007, 21:46
Kala's pretty tough for a 5'2 little monster, and takes to new activities well....jumping in feet first and learns quick.
One of the "prerequisites" when we first got together was learning to ski. she said she hadn't before, snowboarded once, and wished to learn. On her 15th day on skis she passed her instructor qualifications.
2nd or 3rd pool session she was taking time after skills were done seeing how long she could remain in place only raising 1 ft practicing her buoyancy. A couple of years mtn biking she is out with me on 6+hr rides. With the enthusiasm she is showing for diving I can see myself struggling to keep up with her.

WaterRat
08-02-2007, 22:29

Easy answer, make sure your girlfriend has the sames desires that you do. If not, you can always just be "friends". :smiley36:

Ron

GlockGuy
08-03-2007, 11:32
This is a great opinion question but, at the end of the day, it's just that - An opinion. I've met some great folks who were initially Insta-buddies and others who have shown me, by example, all the things NOT to do. In the end, someone will have a story of buddies gone good and someone else will have a horror story of buddies gone bad. I guess you just have to be mentally prepared to do self-rescue in case you get stuck with the latter of the two.

thor
08-03-2007, 11:35
This is a great opinion question but, at the end of the day, it's just that - An opinion. I've met some great folks who were initially Insta-buddies and others who have shown me, by example, all the things NOT to do. In the end, someone will have a story of buddies gone good and someone else will have a horror story of buddies gone bad. I guess you just have to be mentally prepared to do self-rescue in case you get stuck with the latter of the two.

Amen brutha. well said

dallasdivergirl
08-03-2007, 12:08
When I started dating *again* my requirements got a lot more demanding after dating a guy who couldn't travel due to carsick, seasick & plane sick.

I want someone who can dive, ski, travel and who does not have and/or doesn't want children (I do have dogs & they are very much like children). I discovered that the longer your list the easier it is to find some one.

GatorSoul
08-03-2007, 17:22
Man, I guess it is more envy than anything else on my part. Right now, I have had a lot of insta-buddies, due to taking more classes than just diving. Also being new to an area hasn't help. So, definitely jealously from me.

Feeling a little nake here, er...this is kind of akward. I am going to show myself the way out...carry on. :smiley5:

thor
08-03-2007, 17:29
When I started dating *again* my requirements got a lot more demanding after dating a guy who couldn't travel due to carsick, seasick & plane sick.

I want someone who can dive, ski, travel and who does not have and/or doesn't want children (I do have dogs & they are very much like children). I discovered that the longer your list the easier it is to find some one.

and don't forget guys with shark tattoos on their biceps

medic001918
08-03-2007, 18:04
I can't keep Kristen out of the water. She wants to dive every chance we get. The more she dives, the more she gets into it. It's great. I love diving with her. Especially when I can watch her progress as a diver.

Shane

jawfish
08-04-2007, 08:50
I get the InstaBuddy dilemma. New buddies not only aren't "personally" worried about MY safety (like my normal buddy), they also don't know ME. My likes, dislikes, preferred pace, etc.

quarrydiver
08-13-2007, 23:19
You never know what you'll get with instas, and it's nice to have someone to share stories with when you get home.

TAH 73
08-14-2007, 07:26
I get the InstaBuddy dilemma. New buddies not only aren't "personally" worried about MY safety (like my normal buddy), they also don't know ME. My likes, dislikes, preferred pace, etc.

Jawfish said it perfectly. On the dive trip previous to Kala getting certified I got probably my final insta-buddy. Terrible trim/buoyancy control, said he was a AOW diver with over 50 dives, had good gear so I figured things may be OK. Claimed he he was a regular diver and felt great. He was either smacking off the bottom, then he would grab the inhalator hose, pump a bunch of air in, rocket up, dump air....
a few minutes later he signals he's at turn pressure, 1700 lbs, a few min later 1000 lbs, 750, time to go up. He surfaced with 500 left, I surfaced with 1500 and I by no means easy on air.
2nd dive we had a chat prior, he said he hadn't been in the water in 9 months had borrowed some gear to try out.
2nd dive he had issues with his ears, undoubtedly from his Yo-Yo dive profile. Scrubbed the dive. I paired up with the DM to salvage the dive.
The first wreck I don't think I saw anything but worrying about the buddy.

deepdiver47
08-14-2007, 07:43
"2nd dive we had a chat prior, he said he hadn't been in the water in 9 months had borrowed some gear to try out"

Oops, sounds like the dude fell on his sword on this one

I hear you TAH73, as a single diver I am always paired up with the DM. I have seen these people that bounce off the walls and it's annoying at best. True, they have every right to be on a dive as they paid their $$. But they need to come clean BEFORE the dive as to what their skill set is.

For many of these folks it is a sign of weakness for them to tell you where they stand. But what REALLY cracks me up is that there are "0" secrets UW. You just can't hide these yo-yo's. :smiley16:

porsche060
08-14-2007, 07:57
Congrats

In less than 24hrs Kala my Fiancee should be getting ready to complete her final OW dives and end a couple of years of insta-budies (it seemed like I ended up going diving with groups that we would end up with either 5 or 7 divers in trips).
I am actaully doing the OW checkout dives with her as I took this oppertunity to "refresh" some skills, and I end up getting a dual cert with IANTD as well.
Sunday end's off with her first charters, and may end up doing some shore dives either Sunday evening, or possibly Monday as it's a long weekend in the Great White North.
So Friday afternoon it's off to Tobermory Ontario.
Here's a link to where we are going.
http://www.diversden.ca/ds_map.html
Larry she also says thanks once again for getting her gear up to her so quick and keeping her little feet from freezing (ScubaToys is the only place we could find good quality XS fins, and size 4 wetsuit boots)

dallasdivergirl
08-15-2007, 10:52
I actually got an insta-buddy while doing my AOW class this weekend.

It was a great match. We were both using about the same amount of air and had no problems.

and no shark tattoo.

cgvmer
08-15-2007, 11:10
OH too have a wife that dives....
to not have to schedule shore activities and watch my son's and I being bored.
Oh to not have to explain why we can't dive the last day on the trip because we will be flying and those other activities can be scheduled for then.

Congrats for both of you ...her for a new cert and you for a much more relaxing vacation.

SHAGGY
08-15-2007, 12:56
Thats the reason why I'm really looking forward to my 17 year old son finishing up his OW. My wife prefers the spas over diving, so she has very little interest in scuba. Since part of my job now involves diving on a regular basis,... my dive buddy while at work is my co-worker, which I trust completely, but when traveling it will be either my son or brother or I'll just consider paying the extra for my own DM. Also because, I know I go through a tank a lil quicker than the veteran divers do and I also wouldnt want to hamper their trip either.

Zenagirl
08-15-2007, 13:02
Every certification agency stresses not diving alone and I for one can attest to the fact that is is just plain dangerous to do so.

My family was diving together with gear that was less than 3 years old & taken in every year for maintenance. Out of nowhere, my daughter's low pressure hose exploded. If she had been diving alone, she would not have had enough air to make it back to the shore. I was right there to hand her my Octo and we casually returned to do our safety stop and reach the shore. You never know when your equipment might fail.

DON'T DIVE ALONE, IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!

:smiley21:

Responsible solo divers carry an independent pony bottle so they can self-rescue in this type of instance.

Xspect
08-15-2007, 19:51
Me and my wife dives. I love diving with her. But I seem to have more fun diving with others (not instabuddies). I guess I spend a lot more time worried / watching her than enjoying my dive.

egyptdiver
08-18-2007, 12:33

Not every cert agency stresses anti-solo diving. I am a TDI extended range diver and have been taught how to safely solo dive. Granted i do carry redundant everything incase of equip failure.