PDA

View Full Version : Not Able to Edit or Delete Posts Anymore?

cmburch
04-12-2008, 15:17
I am not sure, but it looks like the edit and delete feature has been removed from posts.

Is this correct?

Or has a time limit been introduced for editing and deleting?

mentalmarine
04-12-2008, 15:18
I can still see my edit button on recent posts

WV Diver
04-12-2008, 17:11
Seems to be working fine.

ScubaToys Larry
04-12-2008, 17:19
It's a timing thing... You can only edit or delete things you did in the last 24 hours.

It's a standard kind of thing on many forums... it stops someone from saying something... then a week later, back pedaling and removing or changing posts that would impact the posts of others.

So if you're going to change your mind... just do it by the next day!:smiley20:

mwhities
04-14-2008, 04:49
Maybe you could use Notepad or word to write up your post quickly. Then you can start over from the top and proof read your write up. Make the proper changes and the spelling errors that you may have. After you are happy with the changes, copy and paste the post into the reply box (or if you quoted someone) and save it.

Everyone makes mistakes when typing on the Internet. So, no one ever pays attention to mispelled words or improper grammer. Heck, I can't even type paragraphs and sentences correctly. (I hate typing a lot for that reason.) But, I don't care nor does anyone else. (If they do and try to point it out, they're are trolling and have nothing better to do.... which we don't approve of.)

I hope my suggestion will help you out.

Michael

ScubaToys Larry
04-14-2008, 09:09
This is very standard on forums. The exact same thing applies on most all other forums you go to... scuba or not... In other forums where I post, I can't go back and edit them after a day.

It just helps keep continuity in threads.

Damselfish
04-14-2008, 09:31
I certainly appreciate one person not making a bunch of posts in a row that should have gone in one. But a day should be more than enough. Besides the continuity issue, it is actually better to put new info or pictures in a new post and not keep re-editing an earlier one or people may not see it. One post may seem more convenient for someone that just found the thread, but many people tend to read the forums by clicking on the links that take them to the last post in a thread they have not read yet, especially if they have subscribed to a thread. If you add a bunch of stuff to an earlier post, people interested in the thread who are coming back to it to read the new posts will probably not see things you have added to an older post. They're not going to keep going back and reading earlier posts in case someone added something new to them!

Even if it's just an hour later, if you have a picture or significant info to add, I'd say make a new post. 24 hours later is fine for fixing typos, but not for big changes to a post.

CompuDude
04-16-2008, 00:08
Yup, 24 hour time limit for edits is pretty standard on boards.

If there is a real issue that needs special attention for some reason, you can always PM a mod... they can make the edits for you, or override the time limits (on some boards, at least).