PDA

View Full Version : For those who use slave strobes...

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 14:47
What do you use to connect the fiber optic cable to the housing?

I've been using sticky velcro but it doesnt seem to last more than a few dives before I have to replace it. I've thought about aquasealing the velcro, but figured I'd see what others have used successfully first...

TxHockeyGuy
08-02-2007, 14:53
I bought and use this - http://www.divervision.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=113

It isn't really velcro, it's something similar. I've had my camera wet very few times so I can't say how well it will hold up. Since I never plan on using the internal flash for anything but a trigger if it decides not to stay on the housing I'll simply super glue it.

94GTStang
08-03-2007, 00:22
My velcro worked perfectly, but the glue that holds the black piece with the fiber optic cable didn't hold. I had to use electrical tape that gunked up my housing...

cyclical
08-05-2007, 17:12
I bought and use this - http://www.divervision.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=113

It isn't really velcro, it's something similar. I've had my camera wet very few times so I can't say how well it will hold up. Since I never plan on using the internal flash for anything bug a trigger if it decides not to stay on the housing I'll simply super glue it.
I have a 10bar housing and use a strobe with that 10bar set up. It is a form of velcro never even started to come off.

Wolfie2012
08-06-2007, 10:29
Hm, wish I knew what kind of velcro that was then! From the picture it looks like it may be some kind of 3M product, but thats about all I could tell. I guess I'll do some more checking around.

Doghouse
08-07-2007, 13:36
We get that stuff with our E-Z pass tags. THe stuff is a bear to get off if you have to replace your windshield. I was able to use the same set 2x on new windshields before replacing them. It is 3M, but don't know where to get it retail.

TxHockeyGuy
08-07-2007, 14:44
After a little research it looks like it is called Dual Lock by 3M. I'm sure Google will find a place for you to buy it. :smiley20:

Wolfie2012
08-07-2007, 21:59
After a little research it looks like it is called Dual Lock by 3M. I'm sure Google will find a place for you to buy it. :smiley20:

Coolie, thanks!

DiverBob
08-30-2007, 21:09
The Sealife DC500 I use has a fiber optic cable for the external slave Reefmaster strobe. The end that connects to the camera has a ring the goes around the lense holding the fiber bundle over the cameras internal flash. I had to add three wire ties to hold the cable close to the handle going up to the strobe. Before using the wire ties, the cable had enough slack to float in front of the lense with a current and would on occasion come unclipped from the lense. Wire ties did the trick.

RonFrank
09-04-2007, 22:54
I've seen people use duck tape, electrical tape, velcro, zip ties, and more.

I don't use a fiber optic cable, so I can not comment on how well this all works. My cuz does, and she just used duct tape when her original mount came apart. One would think that the housing manufacture would figure this out. If they have not, then I don't know if an after market solution is going to be a lot better.

Most PnS camera's have a shade to block the flash when you attach a fiber optic cable. I'd think drilling a small hole through the shade, and fixing the fiber optic on with a zip tie maybe a good solution, and I've seen this done. If you have to cut off the zip tie after a day of diving, so what, they cost next to nothing.

I'd think any solvent that may hold up to uw use may also be more permanent than one may desire. Gluing on the Velcro may seem like a great solution with very solid solvent right up until you need to remove the worn out Velcro.