PDA

View Full Version : motion sickness

mobeeno
04-12-2008, 23:38
Are there any non drowsy motion sickness pills? I only found the less drowsy ones. Are those okay for diving?

Zenagirl
04-13-2008, 07:47
Try Bonine.

Beaucoupfishies
04-13-2008, 08:47
Some people say ginger pills help too. Or those seabands you put on your wrist, though it seems kind of gimmicky.

Splitlip
04-13-2008, 09:47
I use the motion sikness pills and the ginger pills. Works for me in most conditions. The ginger alone works for me in moderate seas with no drowsyness.

I have not yet found a medication that does not make me drowsy.

Remember try and keep your eys on the horizon, land or something stationary. Hard to do when you are gearing up. The brain gets confused when the inner ear tells you you are moving, but the eyes say you are not.

jtkkym
04-13-2008, 09:59
I don't remember the name but my LDS has one. You should check your LDS.

rfreddo
04-13-2008, 10:26
Ginger - I am notoriously pathetic at amusement parks when it comes to motion sickness. I started taking ginger root capsules two weeks before going to Disney World and Bush Gardens this spring and I had no prolems at all.

Can't say for sure that it wasn't a mental thing, but it did the trick!

Xspect
04-13-2008, 10:49
Ginger Ginger I got some altoid ginger from amazon.

DiverBry
04-13-2008, 10:50
Ginger Ginger I got some altoid ginger from amazon.

Yeah, that stuff is great. Takes the edge off morning and coffee breath, too!

scuba007
04-13-2008, 11:09
Gravol (natural Source) works for me

mobeeno
04-13-2008, 13:11
Thanks everyone for your response. I just hope the sea is calm next time I go boat diving. The last boat trip I took a pill and ended up sleeping for a long time after diving and woke up tired and did not dive the next day.

Try Bonine.
I saw the less drowsy kind, do they come in non drowsy?

terrillja
04-13-2008, 13:20
Ginger pills and ginger snaps. Show up on a dive boat with a box of ginger snaps and you are suddenly everyone's new best friend!

Dive Rong
04-13-2008, 14:51
If Bonine works for you (and it does for me), have the Pharmacist give you a container of "Meclizine hydrochloride". It is the same as Bonine (without the nice orange flavor), and you can get a container of 100 tablets for the same price as 16 Bonine tablets. - chris

Splitlip
04-13-2008, 15:06
good tip. thanks

Marcus
04-13-2008, 15:54
Bonine is meclazine, which works pretty well. The best is probably scopolamine which is a little transdermal sticker that you put behind your ear. It is by prescription only though.

Splitlip
04-13-2008, 15:56
Mescaline! COOL..

Oh, never mind

Zenagirl
04-13-2008, 17:10
Bonine is meclazine, which works pretty well. The best is probably scopolamine which is a little transdermal sticker that you put behind your ear. It is by prescription only though.

I use the patch and won't fly or boat dive without it normally. However, we're going to Bonaire for 2 weeks and although we'll be doing some boat diving, it isn't repetitive enough boat diving to justify wearing a patch the entire time, so I'm going to use Bonine on the days we boat dive. Although i don't know how much boat diving we're going to do since shore diving is so easy, we've already decided to do 2 boat dives on the days we boat dive so my Bonine will cover more than 1 dive. :D

You can actually get the patch over the counter in Canada (or order it on-line from Canada). It's called "Transderm V".

However, whatever you choose, make sure you try it at home before strapping scuba gear to your back and go to depth. The last place you want to find out how the medication affects you is underwater.

For example, Dramamine causes me to go into panic attacks if I have any anxiety while on it (found out the hard way on a plane). Someone I know put on a patch a few days prior to a trip to see what it would do and within 3 hours she was puking and felt dizzy. Either of these side effects could be life threatening underwater, but since my friend can use Dramamine safely and I can wear a patch without any problems, you don't know what is safe for you until you actually try it. ;)

Murloc
04-23-2008, 09:24
scopolamine is my choice for boat rides even though usually it's 50-50 if I get nauseous not using anything....a quick visit to Dr for a script is just another "insurance" cost I plan into the budget. Being sick on a live aboard or a charter is a waste of money. My brother swears by ginger and uses that.

this reminds me of a mythbusters episode where they tried all sorts of motion sickness remedies. The wrist bands were useless as well as several other forms. The highest success rate they found was...ginger. Kinda makes sense as ginger was the choice of sailors going way back. But I'll still stick with the patch.

waytooslow
04-23-2008, 09:42
The wife and myself use scopolamine patches, easy to get perscription from the doctor, however we both feel to under the "influence" when using them - our solution, cut them in quarters - take the edge off and still do the job.

I made the mistake of dosing too high using the nasal version, the effects were much worse than the high seas that day.

CompuDude
04-23-2008, 13:21
Thanks everyone for your response. I just hope the sea is calm next time I go boat diving. The last boat trip I took a pill and ended up sleeping for a long time after diving and woke up tired and did not dive the next day.

Try Bonine.

Bonine = Less Drowsy Dramamine = Meclizine.

All the same active ingredient.

Save your dough and pick up the generic Meclizine at Walmart or most other drugstores for $10 for 100 pills, instead of $4-6 for a little tube of 6 pills.

Start the night before. DO NOT wait until 30 minutes before stepping on board the boat, like the instructions recommend. Pure BS.

Sounder
04-23-2008, 14:07

Try Bonine.

Save your dough and pick up the generic Meclizine at Walmart or most other drugstores for $10 for 100 pills, instead of $4-6 for a little tube of 6 pills.

Start the night before. DO NOT wait until 30 minutes before stepping on board the boat, like the instructions recommend. Pure BS.

This is great advice!! Taking them the night before, and then again that morning will really help. It might also be advisable to take another one at lunch if you're really prone to sickness!

ChrisA
04-23-2008, 14:17
Are there any non drowsy motion sickness pills? I only found the less drowsy ones. Are those okay for diving?

Yes, but it's not sold in the US. have to go to Mexico or Europe to get it.

The ear patches work well but I don't think yu can dive with them on. And they are not cheap

The electric wrist bands seem to work perfectly on about 30% of the people and do absolutly nothing for the oter 70%. If you are one of the 30% they are well worth
the $130 price.

I used to own a boat and have seen everythiing. One of the best cures is driving. But I doubt they'd let you drive. To bad it really works

DeeDoubleYou
04-23-2008, 15:08
What works for me....
Stay away from coffee (as well as most stimulants, let the cold water wake you up) before a dive
Eat a healthy breakfast
Drink lots of water
Don't get wasted the night before
Then on the boat, keep pressure off the neck (hold top of wetsuit open or keep around waist)
Lastly... Enjoy the ride!

Worst case.... puke over board, you'll feel amazing afterwards!!

Sounder
04-23-2008, 15:23
What works for me....
Stay away from coffee (as well as most stimulants, let the cold water wake you up) before a dive
Eat a healthy breakfast
Drink lots of water
Don't get wasted the night before
Then on the boat, keep pressure off the neck (hold top of wetsuit open or keep around waist)
Lastly... Enjoy the ride!

Worst case.... puke over board, you'll feel amazing afterwards!!

Yeah seriously - if you're ever feeling nasty, don't wait to puke. Just let it fly over the side, all of it, and you'll feel a LOT better.

Marcus
04-23-2008, 15:46
Those things won't work if you have motion sickness. Obviously you don't. Most people will need dramamine, etc. Bonine is a little different than Dramamine. I like Bonine better. It is also used for people with Vertigo under another brand name called Antivert. Scopolamine works very well, but like one said, patches must be cut in half or quarters. Most motion sickness is gotten on the boat, and NOT while diving. Cutting a patch into quarters and simply using one quarter on the way there and one on the way back is reasonable considering that the regular dose is one whole patch. It's rare that people are getting motion sickness once under.

Sounder
04-23-2008, 15:49
Those things won't work if you have motion sickness. Obviously you don't. Most people will need dramamine, etc. Bonine is a little different than Dramamine. I like Bonine better. It is also used for people with Vertigo under another brand name called Antivert. Scopolamine works very well, but like one said, patches must be cut in half or quarters. Most motion sickness is gotten on the boat, and NOT while diving. Cutting a patch into quarters and simply using one quarter on the way there and one on the way back is reasonable considering that the regular dose is one whole patch. It's rare that people are getting motion sickness once under.

...and again, taking something when you're sick just gives you more to puke up. You've got to have it going before you get on the boat. Bonine is my choice too.

Marcus
04-23-2008, 15:59

...and again, taking something when you're sick just gives you more to puke up. You've got to have it going before you get on the boat. Bonine is my choice too.

Yes... I agree on that as well. Need to take it to PREVENT motion sickness, not treat it. That is why the scopolamine patches are a good choice even for divers, because most motion sickness is from the boat, not the dive.

Foo2
04-23-2008, 18:10
Not sure how much truth is behind it, but I've heard that you should not ever cut the patches because it can cause the medication to be directly absorbed through your skin and not a slow dosage. I could be totally wrong on that, but you may want to check with your doctor before doing it. Also, according to the Transderm Scop website, it says, "Do not cut patch."

CompuDude
04-23-2008, 18:58
Not sure how much truth is behind it, but I've heard that you should not ever cut the patches because it can cause the medication to be directly absorbed through your skin and not a slow dosage. I could be totally wrong on that, but you may want to check with your doctor before doing it. Also, according to the Transderm Scop website, it says, "Do not cut patch."

A number of people seem to do it without harm, but I still don't like the idea.

If you're not happy with the standard dose (I know lots who aren't), the pills (Scopace) are a lot easier to adjust dosage.

Shellback
04-23-2008, 22:06
Go into the pharmacy and find the Non Drowsy Dramamine on the shelf. Then take it to the prescription window and tell them that you want to order the pill with the same active ingredient as the Dramamine. You will make out much better and able to get a larger supply at a better price than the eight or so that come in the small shelf package.

I have taken them a few times when I took my boat out on questionable days and never had any problems with being drowsy all day. Have also taken them prior to diving without any issues either.

mobeeno
04-24-2008, 00:00

Try Bonine.

No wonder I felt sick, I took it on the boat. Waaaaaaay to late.:smiley29:

CompuDude
04-24-2008, 02:29
Go into the pharmacy and find the Non Drowsy Dramamine on the shelf. Then take it to the prescription window and tell them that you want to order the pill with the same active ingredient as the Dramamine. You will make out much better and able to get a larger supply at a better price than the eight or so that come in the small shelf package.

I have taken them a few times when I took my boat out on questionable days and never had any problems with being drowsy all day. Have also taken them prior to diving without any issues either.

No need to go to the pharmacy counter, unless you just need help finding something. It's over the counter medication.

Dramamine II (Meclizine Hydrochloride), "Less Drowsy Formula" 16 tablets - $7.98 (http://www.planetrx.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/A0452)

Bonine (Meclizine Hydochloride): 16 Chewable Tablets - $7.79 (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=84769&catid=59908)

Generic (Meclizine Hydochloride): 100 tablets - $9.99 (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=44341&catid=59908)

Which would you rather buy?

I recommend taking them on a regular, non-diving day first, rather than trying them for the first time just before an important (and expensive) dive trip, just to be sure you're not one of the small percentage of people that has issues with them.

leesanhua
04-24-2008, 03:06
i should have read all these motion sickness medi. i throw up like crazy on the boat when i was in key largo, FL. That was my first boat dive when i get there.
End up?!!!! i see more fish from the top.... sounds funny when i think about it but it is not funny when it was happening.

surfsidedav
04-24-2008, 10:07
We just got some of this in at the dive shop, Quease Ease. I haven't personally tried it yet, so I can't give first hand info. Supposedly it will stop motion sickness after it has already started.
http://www.soothing-scents.com/

Sparkyvett
04-24-2008, 11:35
My wife takes Ginger for her motion sickness and she said that it works better than the OTC meds.

DeeDoubleYou
04-25-2008, 03:25
My wife takes Ginger for her motion sickness and she said that it works better than the OTC meds.

I've heard great things about ginger, even for many other things than motion sickness! I'm all for natural solutions. It seems anything artificial makes me more sick.

Marcus
04-25-2008, 08:20
You're right about cutting the patches. I read about it some more and it does somehow mess up the time release mechanism. It likely won't hurt you but won't last your entire trip.

mobeeno
04-27-2008, 12:24
My wife made chicken soup with lots of ginger. Soup was good but I did not go on a boat dive to test the effectiveness of it against motion sickness

CompuDude
04-28-2008, 17:48
My wife made chicken soup with lots of ginger. Soup was good but I did not go on a boat dive to test the effectiveness of it against motion sickness

Just be sure to bring enough to share. ;)

Rileybri
05-22-2008, 15:15
Another vote for Ginger. I lean towards cristalized ginger or ginger chews as they tend to work better longer than the TIA methods. if it is really bad then I go for the Dramamine and the biggest bottle of rum I can find! I don't drink it, I get someone to wap me over the head with it! I usually feel much better when I wake up in the ER!:smilie39:

waytooslow
05-22-2008, 15:50
no issues cutting the patches so far, have been cutting for years with no ill effects - but to each his own.... do what works.

Martin2
05-22-2008, 17:00

Worth its weight in gold if you can get it.

From personal experience, test whatever you try before you go. I had the scop patch, didn't try it before we went to the Bahamas on our honeymoon, and ended up with horrible nightmares most of the time we were there. Took care of most of the motion sickness, but not worth the side effects.

thesmoothdome
05-22-2008, 18:40
no issues cutting the patches so far, have been cutting for years with no ill effects - but to each his own.... do what works.

I used to cut the patches all the time and never had a problem. For the past year, I've been using the full patch and to be honest haven't really noticed any increase in side effects. Either way, I pretty much lose my close up vision above water by the end of the first day. Makes reading difficult, but diving isn't a problem.

longtailbda
05-27-2008, 15:23
The problem with motion sickness is that there is a solution for everybody; however it's not the same for all. In most cases you just have to try each of the suggestions on after another, till you find what works for you. I hope you find a solution quickly.

haven
06-03-2008, 18:34

No need to go to the pharmacy counter, unless you just need help finding something. It's over the counter medication.

Dramamine II (Meclizine Hydrochloride), "Less Drowsy Formula" 16 tablets - $7.98 (http://www.planetrx.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/A0452)

Bonine (Meclizine Hydochloride): 16 Chewable Tablets - $7.79 (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=84769&catid=59908)

Generic (Meclizine Hydochloride): 100 tablets - $9.99 (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=44341&catid=59908)

Which would you rather buy?

I recommend taking them on a regular, non-diving day first, rather than trying them for the first time just before an important (and expensive) dive trip, just to be sure you're not one of the small percentage of people that has issues with them.

Great. Thanks. The price actually dropped and I bought some with FSA account.

Splitlip
06-03-2008, 18:40

Worth its weight in gold if you can get it.

From personal experience, test whatever you try before you go. I had the scop patch, didn't try it before we went to the Bahamas on our honeymoon, and ended up with horrible nightmares most of the time we were there. Took care of most of the motion sickness, but not worth the side effects.
FWIW, I too had nightmares on my honeymoon. I am reasonably certain it had nothing to do with motion sickness medication though. We were in the desert (Vegas).

haven
06-03-2008, 18:41
what is the better ginger product for motion sickness, the tablet or bar?

Buy Larabar Raw Natural Food For Health. For Life. For Fun. Ginger Snap Online at drugstore.com (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=154187&catid=48718) good?

Fireplug
06-03-2008, 21:42
Does anyone know the active ingredient in triptone? I threw away the box and just put the tabs in my kit. Triptone worked for me but am always looking for ways to save a buck...so as to spend more on dive gadgets! :smiley2:

CompuDude
06-04-2008, 16:10
Does anyone know the active ingredient in triptone? I threw away the box and just put the tabs in my kit. Triptone worked for me but am always looking for ways to save a buck...so as to spend more on dive gadgets! :smiley2:

Triptone is the same active ingredient as regular Dramamine.

Martin2
06-05-2008, 08:07
FWIW, I too had nightmares on my honeymoon. I am reasonably certain it had nothing to do with motion sickness medication though. We were in the desert (Vegas).

We've just been married a year. I think I'd better blame the patch for now...:smiley2:

mauiiop
06-05-2008, 11:48
i find ginger is the best and also if you take one of your favorite songs and run it in your head or your favorite movie, (i used to use Finding Nemo):smiley36:. This distracts you. Don't know if it works for everyone but it worked for me.

rfb3
06-05-2008, 12:59
Try Bonine.

My wife really likes the Bonine. She even thinks it helps with hangovers. :)

Karletto
06-05-2008, 15:22
drink alcohol -> it will level it back to normal http://songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/pirate.gif :drankere:
in maritime school we used to scream "bwlaaaaaaa" (puke sound) on the top of every wave next to the guys with motion sickness hihi :P

kids http://www.renault-klub.si/forum/images/smiles/b_baby.gif

the main thing is to look at the horisont and be in the cocpit/ on deck; in the cabin sickness gets worse; there are officers that had motion sickness -> thay managed to take it under control over the time

Splitlip
06-05-2008, 16:42
i find ginger is the best and also if you take one of your favorite songs and run it in your head or your favorite movie, (i used to use Finding Nemo):smiley36:. This distracts you. Don't know if it works for everyone but it worked for me.

This little ditty works for me.

http://boxelder.com/mp3s/boxelder_finding_a_way.mp3