PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a good travel bag

ChrisC
04-13-2008, 16:16
I'm looking for a gear bag that meets airline specs. Something black without much in the way of advertising what is inside the bag would be nice. Also, I am hoping to find something that can handle 2 sets of gear. I plan on carrying regs on the plane. I saw the oceanic premier 2 bag online, and it looked like a good bag. I did not see it on the ST site unfortunately. This will be the first time I am traveling with dive gear, so any/all advice is welcome. Thanks!

FBH1
04-13-2008, 17:13
What kind of diving are you planning on doing? Resort? Liveaboard? Depending on what kind of diving your doing will depend on the type of baggage you will need.

Damselfish
04-13-2008, 17:48
I would suggest not cramming 2 sets of gear in one bag. Hard to make weights limits that way. One set of gear per bag, and use your clothes to pad your gear where needed. And, each person responsible for how much clothes and other stuff they take and the total weight of their bag. ;)

Splitlip
04-13-2008, 18:11
one per diver.

jtkkym
04-13-2008, 19:14
I put my reg, computer, and mask on my carry-on bag. BC, Fin other stuff on regular travel check-in bag.

Defman
04-13-2008, 19:15
I poked around the Armor site and I don't see it there, but I got a huge roller from them several years ago, it would probably hold two sets of gear if the BC's were of the smaller variety. It's similar in style to the Akona AKB-144 or Stahlsac Catalina.

I agree with Damselfish though, you're gonna get killed on weight!! I used to be a "one man, one bag" kind of diver, and I just paid the extra $$ for overweight bags, until I learned about "baggage embargos" and I almost didn't make it to Roatan. Sometimes the airlines will put limits on bag weights and you CANNOT have a bag over 50#, not even for a fee. I ended up doing some creative repacking into my mesh duffle and the manager was helpful in allowing me two carry-on bags.

ChrisC
04-13-2008, 21:53
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to go with one set of gear per bag. I planned on bringing the regs and consoles on as carry-on, good idea to bring the masks as well. This trip is down to the FL Keys. So no live-aboard. 2 smaller bags with regs, consoles, and masks as carry-on ought to avoid the 50# weight limit.

Easydiver
04-18-2008, 23:01
My wife and I have come down to this plan:

Checked bags:
We each have a fairly non-descript, medium sized, rolling duffle with most of our dive gear and clothes. We also check a small suitcase each (roll aboard size) with the rest of our clothing. We put one of the bright belts around the bags to ID at a distance and use obnoxious tags.

Take aboard:
She has a roll aboard backpack bag with two changes of clothes for each of us and our toiletries kits. I have a roll aboard full of my UW camera gear and a small backpack for the laptop (and snacks :) .

We used to have the rolling duffles that convert to backpacks which sound nice, but they're really heavy and cut deeply into your weight limit.
If I use them now and keep them under 50 pounds they're only half full and everything is loose and banging around.

Good luck.

frogman159
04-19-2008, 14:24
That a big selling point for th BP/W setup. I'm pretty sure I can fit everything except my fins in a carry on

ScaredSilly
04-20-2008, 21:26
I have been using duffles made from ballistics cloth for years. They have survived many airports traumas and other assorted incidents - like a mule pissing on them in Argentina.

CFDAlden
04-21-2008, 01:13
I have been using duffles made from ballistics cloth for years. They have survived many airports traumas and other assorted incidents - like a mule pissing on them in Argentina.

I use the same. Never had to pass the piss test, however. :smilie39:

Jellybeandiver
04-28-2008, 20:40
I would look into the new Akona under 10lb bag. It is still a decent size and will fit all your gear plus some but is nice and light even fully loaded