PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever went diving in a pond?

joshdlay
04-13-2008, 22:11
My family owns a large pond and I am curious of how deep this thing so I ma thinking about diving it an a few spots to see how deep it is. Just wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

terrillja
04-13-2008, 22:15
My family owns a large pond and I am curious of how deep this thing so I ma thinking about diving it an a few spots to see how deep it is. Just wonder if anyone has any suggestions.
Find out if the water is safe to dive for one. If its a farm runoff pond, with lots of fertilizer and such, I'd pass. If it's clean, go for it, just watch out for cars, bikes, fish line, and the occasional D.B.

K9Pig
04-13-2008, 23:13
Definitely make sure that the water is SAFE.

If you are curious about the depth. You could find an old wrist dive computer that you are able to check the memory on, secure the dive computer somehow to a line with weight attached (maybe a mesh bag), float out on an intertube to various locations and lower the computer. Then check the memory for depth readings.

If you get the computer snagged on something. Tie the line to the intertube, swim to shore suit up, grab a dive buddy and go diving for the computer.
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:
It does work. I've done it trust me.

terrillja
04-13-2008, 23:17
If you are curious about the depth. You could find an old wrist dive computer that you are able to check the memory on, secure the dive computer somehow to a line with weight attached (maybe a mesh bag),, float on an intertube to various locations an lower the computer. then check the memory for depth readings.

Way to be high tech...

I'm a fan of the 8 pound weight and the 1/4" line AKA poor man's sounder. Mark the line every foot and use duct tape to mark every 10', sharpie the 10' measurements on the duct tape. Use a canoe to sound the depth.

K9Pig
04-13-2008, 23:37
If you are curious about the depth. You could find an old wrist dive computer that you are able to check the memory on, secure the dive computer somehow to a line with weight attached (maybe a mesh bag),, float on an intertube to various locations an lower the computer. then check the memory for depth readings.

Way to be high tech...

I'm a fan of the 8 pound weight and the 1/4" line AKA poor man's sounder. Mark the line every foot and use duct tape to mark every 10', sharpie the 10' measurements on the duct tape. Use a canoe to sound the depth.

:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20: Exactly, that's what I did, but I thought that the dive computers were the coming of age, instead of good old duct tape and sharpies. He wanted to dive it though.

Damselfish
04-14-2008, 01:16
or attach a depth gauge to the line, using the max depth needle to find the depth. Just have to remember to turn the needle back each time.

joshdlay
04-14-2008, 01:16
Thanks for the suggestions. I am just looking for any opportunity to dive.

frogman159
04-14-2008, 07:50

My family has one too, 25-30ft deep, with a sandy bottom...(long story how the sand got in there).

I'm going to try it out this summer. If there is any vis in there it will be a great for practice.

Do you dye yours? Let me know how it goes.

BSea
04-14-2008, 07:59
Sheesh you guys go through so much trouble. Tying gages & computers or marking lines.

Just put a bass boat in there & turn on the fish finder. :)

Around here, the only people who dive ponds are the police when they look for evidence. And they look with their hands.

Crimediver
04-14-2008, 08:35
Ponds can be nasty. I have a friend that dove one and nearly died when he got an amoebic infection in his cerebral spinal fluid. Lot of nastiness in stagnant bodies of water.

frogman159
04-14-2008, 08:47
Ponds can be nasty. I have a friend that dove one and nearly died when he got an amoebic infection in his cerebral spinal fluid. Lot of nastiness in stagnant bodies of water.

That must have been one nasty a$$ pond. The one I'm looking at is very nice. My inlaws swim in it all the time. :smiley20:

Ohio_diver16
04-14-2008, 21:58
I dive in a pond all the time, with run off in it, but not farm run off. It's max depth is 35 feet, and viz usually sucks like a Hoover equipped with an aftermarket turbo charger! But I must admit, check the water, a sample taken into any pool place can give you a quick reading for free or minimal cost, or if you lie and say you're digging a well the state will do it fairly cheap. Not a bad thing to do if it's deep enough and you plan on doing practice dives in it.

mobeeno
04-14-2008, 22:18
Dont swallow the water

joshdlay
04-14-2008, 22:48

My family has one too, 25-30ft deep, with a sandy bottom...(long story how the sand got in there).

I'm going to try it out this summer. If there is any vis in there it will be a great for practice.

Do you dye yours? Let me know how it goes.

No. We do not dye the pond and the visibility is zero. I just think that it would be good for practicing my compass and learning to navigate. I will let you know how it goes, just as soon as my LDS gets my spg. We had to reorder it for the third time today. It has been payed for for the last month.

Sounder
04-15-2008, 11:19
Some folks dive in water traps to get golf balls... but they have specific gear they use for it which doesn't usually get used for anything else...:smiley11:

CFDAlden
04-17-2008, 04:17
We have a 3/4 acre pond, 20' max depth. I watched them dig it, and plumb it. 6' vis, stocked with brown and brook trout. :)

scubasavvy
04-18-2008, 22:21
Be careful not to kick up the bottom too much. You'll be in a cloud of black silt in no time.

cleansweep13
04-20-2008, 19:06
I would be a little cautious about plant growth. I wouldn't want you to get tangled up!