PDA

View Full Version : CSSP vs. Athens?

Penguino
04-14-2008, 01:38
I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms but as a new diver I'd like to know where to spend my time...:smilie40:

PlatypusMan
04-14-2008, 08:57
I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms but as a new diver I'd like to know where to spend my time...:smilie40:

Try both--do one on one weekend, the other on another (sounds like an 80s hair band, doesn't it?)--and then compare your personal experiences.

The first big difference you'll probably see is that Athens is a very sterile dive--no fish and limited plant life.

PPM

Penguino
04-18-2008, 00:53
Wow, apparently people aren't as opinionated as I thought they would be

Divingguy
04-18-2008, 07:55
My personal preference is generally CSSP, but then again that is where I spend an inordinate amount of time working classes. They are very different places, each with its own loyal following. You do need to go look at each, and dive each. You may find you have a preference.

TX1Chica
04-21-2008, 10:40
I agree about doing both.
I like CSSP because it is big, has a lot of stuff to look at. You can park close to the fill station if you want to,so you don't have to drive for fills. Their are fish and turtles and grass. I have been a few times and still feel like I have only seen about half of it.
I went to Athens at the end of the summer last year. Was their a few hours and feel like I have seen it all. The bottom is sand. Their is nothing alive in it. Also air fills take a loooooong time. The things I like about it is the viz, the plane, bus and the all the things to swim thru. I also enjoyed talking to the owner and having him showing me some of the things he has found on some of his dives. They are on display in the store. (He is not a fan of ST. If you have a sticker on your tank, he might make a comment)
I think you could spend more time at CSSP without getting board or feeling like you have already seen everthing.

TRACI
04-21-2008, 11:10
Both of them are ok. Both have pros and cons. CSSP has a little more stuff to look at. Seems like the water can get a little murked up easier in Athens because it is alot smaller, one fin hitting the bottom can get all the clay stirred up. But Athens cost less $$ to dive there.

reactive
04-21-2008, 11:42
I personally will be trying out CSSP this summer when I go visit my mom in Fort Worth. It was the only reasonably close place I could find that seems like a cool place to "see stuff". I suspect it should be a good time.

texdiveguy
04-21-2008, 11:49

CSSP hands down my friend!!

Penguino
04-21-2008, 13:50
Thanks for the advice. CSSP is definatly closer to where we live (by about 45 minutes) so the extra cost would be partially saved in gas. I will try Athens though just to say I've done it.

TxScubaBear
04-23-2008, 06:12
Hey all, never have been to CSSP yet.....it's coming though- what's the best way to get all your gear from parking area to dive site, tanks and all? Without making 20 trips is what I'm looking for.
thanks!

Divingguy
04-23-2008, 06:41
The parking at CSSP is NOT like Windy Point. Each platform has parking close by. Generally a VERY short walk, like 50 to 100 feet to the docks / entry points, depending upon which site you are at.

TxScubaBear
04-23-2008, 06:46
Thanks- yeah, I guess I had the WP site in mind having never been to CSSP.
Appreciate the info!

Bigg_Budd
04-23-2008, 12:40
Athens will turn blonde hair blue. He shocks the holy heck outta that water...

I prefer CSSP. Closer, bigger, more to see, and cleaner water. Although Viz can be a craps shoot. I also like doing a front flip entry off the ST dock...

Penguino
04-23-2008, 14:09

I prefer CSSP. Closer, bigger, more to see, and cleaner water. Although Viz can be a craps shoot. I also like doing a front flip entry off the ST dock...

What does he use to shock it? Chlorene??

Bigg_Budd
04-23-2008, 16:17
I dunno, but I dove with a girl who didn't wash her hair after a night dive. When she woke up it was blue (with a hint of green). She ended up dying and cutting it short. She cried a little bit...

It also tears up your gear. I noticed my BCD started to fade a bit around the grommets (sp?), like it had been bleached. All of this has contributed, in part, to why I don't dive there anymore...

Penguino
04-23-2008, 16:26
I dunno, but I dove with a girl who didn't wash her hair after a night dive. When she woke up it was blue (with a hint of green). She ended up dying and cutting it short. She cried a little bit...

It also tears up your gear. I noticed my BCD started to fade a bit around the grommets (sp?), like it had been bleached. All of this has contributed, in part, to why I don't dive there anymore...

Wow. My wife's hair is blond and I think she wants to keep it that way. And I'm not sure that I want to take a chance with anything that bleaches my BCD (not even the pool did that...) Thanks for the insight

TxScubaBear
04-23-2008, 16:31

:eek1bluegreen:

JipThePeople
05-18-2008, 15:29
I enjoy both places and I really like the owners of each park. I must beg to differ however, that there is more to see at CSSP. There are many, many more things to see at Athens, especially considering they have a huge jet without the wings cut off too. If you go to Athens, I recommend going during the week. I have been during the week many times and as long as there are not too many divers out there (which is usually the case) the vis is amazing. With that said, I love CSSP - it is an hour closer than Athens and much deeper. Both are excellent, you should support both!

shari75202
06-04-2008, 21:00
We dove at Athens this past weekend and vis was less than five feet :(

Penguino
06-07-2008, 15:42
We dove at Athens this past weekend and vis was less than five feet :(

I thought they added stuff to the water to prevent situations such as this...

DevilDiver
06-07-2008, 16:05

Oh man... I gotta see that!! :smilie39:

Coaster
06-09-2008, 21:51
Anyone interested in diving midweek at Athens or other dive site...Wednesday/Thursday?

Coaster
06-23-2008, 13:33
Last week I dove Athens midweek...dove most of the sites although the viz was about 3-6 feet (varied, better near the bottom)...had to do lost buddy drill only once...surfaced about 8 feet away from each other

Quiet, pleasant day (although it seemed like the trains were running on a circle track..they kept rolling by).

Calvin and staff are friendly and helpful...I'll go back there again.