PDA

View Full Version : Does a dive computer need maintenance?

ParrotHead
08-02-2007, 15:49
Do they do more then just change the battery?

Thanks,

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 15:54

Thanks,

The manual for my computer recommends that it be serviced once a year to check for proper functionality, accurate depth readings, etc.

I would guess that all computers should be checked for similar things on a regular basis.

DirtyWaterIL
08-02-2007, 15:59
not really, just rinse it off when your done and change the battery when its low. the closest thing to maintenance i CAN THINK OF IS REPLACING THE SCRATCH GUARD ON THE SCREEN .

DirtyWaterIL
08-02-2007, 15:59
im glad my dive computer doesnt have a capslock button

TxHockeyGuy
08-02-2007, 16:11
I don't get mine serviced. I just change the battery when needed and inspect or replace the o-ring depending upon what I see or how long it's been. I also check my dive computers against one another and if need be I have a depth gauge somewhere that I can also compare against. I know the depth gauge is accurate because I had to get a replacement for one that was reading 8 ft shallow (yikes). That being said I know all the manufacturers recommend it.

On another note everyone should be sure to carry a spare battery in their save a dive kit. I have 2 dive computers so I figure the odds of both batteries going out at the same time are practically 0, wrong. Last dive weekend both started showing low battery at the same time, although both cleared and I dove them it taught me to keep batteries on hand.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 16:31
Used to have to do a Ctrl Alt Del every now and then... but now with unix instead of XP it's not necessary.

Just change the battery when low, and check your computer every dive against the guys you're diving with.

ParrotHead
08-02-2007, 16:43
not really, just rinse it off when your done and change the battery when its low. the closest thing to maintenance i CAN THINK OF IS REPLACING THE SCRATCH GUARD ON THE SCREEN .

I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but I took the scratch guard off when I got it and haven't replaced it since. Do you dive with the guard on or is this just for storage? I still have it (somewhere).

Thanks,

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 16:45

I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but I took the scratch guard off when I got it and haven't replaced it since. Do you dive with the guard on or is this just for storage? I still have it (somewhere).

Thanks,

If it's a choice, I'd suggest diving with the scratch guard. Saves problems in case you accidentally hit it on something on the boat or underwater....that's what it's there for :)

ertechsg
08-02-2007, 16:48

Thanks,
Computer=$400 scratch guard=$20 you decide

awap
08-02-2007, 16:59
Used to have to do a Ctrl Alt Del every now and then... but now with unix instead of XP it's not necessary.

Just change the battery when low, and check your computer every dive against the guys you're diving with.

If you keep this kind of stuff up, you will force other scuba retailers to make an honest living.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 17:56
If you keep this kind of stuff up, you will force other scuba retailers to make an honest living.

I was looking for another employee once, and one of my reps knew a guy managing another store in town - but he wasn't happy there, and he asked if I wanted to interview him. I said sure...

Then the rep said, "Yea, but if you have him over here for an interview, or even hire him, he could learn all your secrets and they could get back to the other shop - he still has friends there."

I thought for a moment and said, "Yea, I never thought of that. If other stores learned that you had to be honest with your customers, treat them right, buy product at good prices and pass on the savings... man if that got out, it could ruin me! Maybe I shouldn't talk to him!"

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 18:15
My Uwatec has to have the battery changed at the factory (the guts are packed in silicon, so leaks/floods are nearly impossible). The good thing, however, is that (a) it's free, and they service the computer and make sure it's functioning per specs while they do so, and (b) the battery should last a good three years at the rate it's going, so it's not happening anytime soon or without warning.

I'll probably send it in late next year when the battery dips below 50%.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 18:36
My Uwatec has to have the battery changed at the factory (the guts are packed in silicon, so leaks/floods are nearly impossible). The good thing, however, is that (a) it's free, and they service the computer and make sure it's functioning per specs while they do so, and (b) the battery should last a good three years at the rate it's going, so it's not happening anytime soon or without warning.

We used to carry those.. that is one of the reasons that we don't now... but they won't change the battery for you until it gets below 15% unless you pay for it. It's only free if under warranty (bought from an authorized dealer), and reads 15% or below.

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 18:51
that kind of sucks. still better than ALWAYS having to pay...

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 19:01

We used to carry those.. that is one of the reasons that we don't now... but they won't change the battery for you until it gets below 15% unless you pay for it. It's only free if under warranty (bought from an authorized dealer), and reads 15% or below.
Hmm. I think they may have changed that policy. Or, perhaps it depends on who you have send it in.

deepdiver47
08-02-2007, 19:16
Which brings me to a good point, battery replacement. My Mosquito with out fail needs to be replaced once a year (I do maybe 30-40 dives per year). My Vyper on the other hand is now ~3 years old and I haven't replaced it yet. I wear both for every dive.

Any thoughts?

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 20:17
That's what they told us about 3 years ago when we were still carrying them. They also said it has about 50 hours of dive time left when it hits 0.

Yea... I'm not sure if they've changed that, as we had some "issues" with them and are not carrying them now.

Hmm. I think they may have changed that policy. Or, perhaps it depends on who you have send it in.

Judestudio
08-02-2007, 20:37
That's what they told us about 3 years ago when we were still carrying them. They also said it has about 50 hours of dive time left when it hits 0.

Yea... I'm not sure if they've changed that, as we had some "issues" with them and are not carrying them now.
:smiley3: ooooo, what issues? Tell us, tell us! :smilie39:

Thanks,
To the OP, I once went into my LDS and ask how much they'll charge for servicing my Oceanic Atom 2.0. The response I got was: ":smiley24: Huh? Servicing? What's wrong with the computer?!"

the gooch
08-02-2007, 20:51
I thought dive computers had to be pressure tested to make sure they are reading the proper depth.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 20:55
I thought dive computers had to be pressure tested to make sure they are reading the proper depth.

Just check it against a few other folks on every dive... I do! No sense finding out it stopped working right 2 days after last years "service".

JodiBB
08-02-2007, 20:58
Like this post! I just sent my reg set-up/BC/computer in to STs for yearly service. Was debating whether to send in the computer. Glad I did...