PDA

View Full Version : Delta Airlines serves Shark Fin Soup

DevilDiver
04-14-2008, 12:25
By JIM THARPE (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/delta/stories/2008/03/31/mailto:jtharpe@ajc.com)
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/31/08
Shanghai, China They served Coca-Cola along with the "braised shark's fin soup with cucumber and fish maw" Monday night at the welcoming celebration for Delta Air Lines' inaugural non-stop flight from Atlanta.
A blues band belted out "Georgia on My Mind" at a 10-course banquet to celebrate Delta Flight 19, which touched down at 2:09 p.m. local time -- the middle of the night back in Atlanta.
"This flight fills a critical void for the 65 million people in the Southeast," Kenneth Garrett, U.S. consul general for Shanghai, told a crowd of about 200 people at the 88-story Grand Hyatt of Shanghai.
Celebrants included veteran Delta employees on the maiden flight, Chinese officials and about 40 members of a Georgia trade delegation who made the trip. Gov. Sonny Perdue and his wife, Mary, were among them.
Delta's Atlanta-to-Shanghai run became the first non-stop daily flight to the People's Republic of China from an air hub in the Southeast, and one of only a handful from anywhere in the nation. Business leaders hope it opens the door to more Chinese investment in metro Atlanta and Georgia.

"Up to 73 million sharks a year (http://www.oceana.org/sharks/threats/) are killed for their fins, usually by crudely lopping off the fins and throwing the shark overboard to die."

Foo2
04-14-2008, 12:29
That is so disappointing to read. :(

scubasamurai
04-14-2008, 12:43
dam i guess they don't read the newspapers on how much this is destroying sharks.

mike_s
04-14-2008, 12:46
who threw the party? Delta, or some other enity?

I'm betting that Delta didn't have a party where they ordered Shark Fin Soup to be on the menu.

Seeing the party was in China to celebrate the start of these flights, I'm betting it was someone else. Delta just gets a black eye for not knowing about it beforehand to stop it.

harb99
04-14-2008, 12:51
Delta just gets a black eye for not knowing about it beforehand to stop it.

as well they should - stupidity and not knowing is seldom a good excuse - more times than not, not knowing meant it was not important enough (in someone's eyes) to ask

FishFood
04-14-2008, 12:54

as well they should - stupidity and not knowing is seldom a good excuse - more times than not, not knowing meant it was not important enough (in someone's eyes) to ask

How do you ask what you do not know? Is a Delta Executive just supposed to be sitting around one day and wonder: "is our contracted out party cordinator's caterer going to serve shark fin and cause a big stink"?

harb99
04-14-2008, 12:58

How do you ask what you do not know? Is a Delta Executive just supposed to be sitting around one day and wonder: "is our contracted out party coordinator's caterer going to serve shark fin and cause a big stink"?

If a company party is thrown - does someone not have to sign off on the menu - I am betting that someone had to do this. If not - then I am wrong and I can live with that, but it still gives them a black eye.

georoc01
04-14-2008, 13:05
Soon Delta will be no longer, they are being acquired by Northwest Airlines..

ScottW
04-14-2008, 13:53
Soon Delta will be no longer, they are being acquired by Northwest Airlines..
Actually Delta is acquiring Northwest. Just waiting for the pilots to finish haggling over seniority

frankc420
04-14-2008, 14:00
If Delta didn't know what was in the food dish, there's a bigger problem here than what was on the menu. How was the food not inspected for weapons? :)

If any inspection was done, they would know what food was being served!

Sounder
04-14-2008, 14:07
That sucks.

mike_s
04-14-2008, 14:11
I'm betting that Delta knew, however I'm betting it was a Delta China employee that approved the menu and that knew. unless it's something controversial, why would corporate approve a catering menu?

remember that in other parts of the world, eating certain things are quite normal. So this prob wasn't out of place for that employee if the were from China.

Just like they eat "chilled monkey brains" in some parts of the world. Doesn't mean that Delta wants their name in the headlines for that either.

What if they started non-stop flights to some muslim country that believes in having mutiple wives and allowed these shieks to bring all their wives to the party? While that's against the the law in the US and people here in general are against it, it doesn't mean we are going to change their cultural history (nor should we try to...).

In the long run, Delta prob didn't do anything wrong, but I bet they've learned a lesson to have someone from the US corporate office check for differences in Culture in relation to how they are used to 'brand' their corporate image.

Beaucoupfishies
04-14-2008, 20:17
I'm betting that Delta knew, however I'm betting it was a Delta China employee that approved the menu and that knew. unless it's something controversial, why would corporate approve a catering menu?

remember that in other parts of the world, eating certain things are quite normal. So this prob wasn't out of place for that employee if the were from China.

Just like they eat "chilled monkey brains" in some parts of the world. Doesn't mean that Delta wants their name in the headlines for that either.

What if they started non-stop flights to some muslim country that believes in having mutiple wives and allowed these shieks to bring all their wives to the party? While that's against the the law in the US and people here in general are against it, it doesn't mean we are going to change their cultural history (nor should we try to...).

In the long run, Delta prob didn't do anything wrong, but I bet they've learned a lesson to have someone from the US corporate office check for differences in Culture in relation to how they are used to 'brand' their corporate image.

And that's why it's always a good idea to get all the facts before you get riled up over something. I'm sure some of the environmental boards I'm a part of will be firing off online petitions tomorrow. :smiley29:

DevilDiver
04-14-2008, 22:12

Sooo..... If I understand your train of thought here we can assume that if we were discussing an Indian airline stating flights from Delhi to New York and if there were a dinner party in New York where T-Bone steaks were on the menu... I suppose the Indian media or any of the Indian population would not take offense. Good luck..........Not that I have a problem eating beef but some of the Hindu people might. (Not that there is the possibility of cows becoming extinct in the near future either.)

This really is not the point, monkey brains or shark fin soup can hardly be considered cultural history. Both of these items are considered delicacies in certain areas and among certain peoples. The general population would hardly have had wide assess to food items of this nature through out history. Just because the well to do in a society likes to show off at high end dinner parties I do not believe we can throw in the race card and every one turn away.

The real point here is while finning thousands of sharks and tossing 99% of their carcass back into the ocean every year is just plain wrong and if an airline that is based in this country where the practice of shark finning is illegal have not "learned a lesson to have someone from the US corporate office check for differences in Culture in relation to how they are used to 'brand' their corporate image" I believe they deserve any bad press they get.

What has this country turned into if we cannot lead by example. How can you expect any other nation to ever take us (not our money) seriosly if we cannot take the high road. Have we devolved to the point of "Do as I say and not as I do"? Or have we really got to the point of "I will text you later, American Idol is starting...."

Anyway....You do not have to agree with my opinion or like it. This is an news story that some people I hope would be interested in and I do not believe you will see it run in the Delta newsletter so I am just trying to put out this information for anyone interested.

Sorry for the soap box........:anim_soapbox:

Osprey
04-14-2008, 22:28
Actually, we should be trying to change the history of culling animals to the brink of extinction (in any nation). People are no longer eating what they need to survive, they are eating to gain status. I have no issue with people eating shark meat in general (some cultures thrived on a rare shark treat), but that's not the case here. I don't blame Delta directly for their menu, but I hope it makes some people raise an eyebrow.

Beaucoupfishies
04-14-2008, 23:18
Anyway....You do not have to agree with my opinion or like it. This is an news story that some people I hope would be interested in and I do not believe you will see it run in the Delta newsletter so I am just trying to put out this information for anyone interested.

Sorry for the soap box........

Nah, don't be sorry. I think it's important to be shown the things you wouldn't see otherwise. Or that you might see, but only after it's been filtered down to something more palatable. It's one thing to say that sharks are being finned and then thrown back into the water to suffocate, but it's another entirely to see it in action on movies like Sharkwater. That one scene had much more of an impact on me than all the statistics that get thrown around to explain how bad the situation is.

As long as you're not being a jerk about it, which you aren't, then I'd like to hear what you have to say as much as anyone else.

aggie99
04-15-2008, 00:16
A good way to illustrate the horror of what happens to a shark once it's fin is cut off would be to watch those arguing pilots try to control a Delta plane with it's tail cut off and eventually crash from instability.

harb99
04-15-2008, 08:22
The real point here is while finning thousands of sharks and tossing 99% of their carcass back into the ocean every year is just plain wrong and if an airline that is based in this country where the practice of shark finning is illegal have not "learned a lesson to have someone from the US corporate office check for differences in Culture in relation to how they are used to 'brand' their corporate image" I believe they deserve any bad press they get.

well said - pretty much what I was trying to convey in previous posts

mike_s
04-15-2008, 08:36

Sooo..... If I understand your train of thought here we can assume that if we were discussing an Indian airline stating flights from Delhi to New York and if there were a dinner party in New York where T-Bone steaks were on the menu... I suppose the Indian media or any of the Indian population would not take offense. Good luck..........Not that I have a problem eating beef but some of the Hindu people might. (Not that there is the possibility of cows becoming extinct in the near future either.)

This really is not the point, monkey brains or shark fin soup can hardly be considered cultural history. Both of these items are considered delicacies in certain areas and among certain peoples. The general population would hardly have had wide assess to food items of this nature through out history. Just because the well to do in a society likes to show off at high end dinner parties I do not believe we can throw in the race card and every one turn away.

What has this country turned into if we cannot lead by example. How can you expect any other nation to ever take us (not our money) seriosly if we cannot take the high road. Have we devolved to the point of "Do as I say and not as I do"? Or have we really got to the point of "I will text you later, American Idol is starting...."

Sorry for the soap box........:anim_soapbox:

I don't disagree with you. I didn't mean to appear to have a stance of defending Delta but I was just saying there were cultural differences in countries and that some things are 'acceptable' in other countries. Doesn't mean they are right.

I agree that killing shark just for its fin and then throwing it back is just wrong. No matter where you are. If you're going to entire shark and want to make some soup on the side though, thats a different matter. i still would never order shark fin soup though as it just being served anywhere promotes the mass shark killing and waste that are you are referring to above.

As for cultural differences, I bet if you ask 10 Americans at any 'mall' or other place about Hindu's in India eating beef, I bet at least 80% of them have no idea what you are talking about and it wouldn't phase them a bit to throw a steak on the grill in front of someone from that culture. Even of the 20% that know still might not "think" about it before they fire up the grill.

But like I said above, I bet Delta learned a lesson a lesson about how poor media brands their corporate image. (and yes they deserve any bad press they got, regardless of it being culturally acceptable in other countries).

huvrr
05-13-2008, 12:24
A good way to illustrate the horror of what happens to a shark once it's fin is cut off would be to watch those arguing pilots try to control a Delta plane with it's tail cut off and eventually crash from instability.
What the....what did the pilots do? am I missing something here about arguing pilots, and why someone wants a bunch of passengers to die in a jet crash?

ratown
05-13-2008, 13:18

This comment is asinine...

DiverMAN
05-13-2008, 14:33
What the....what did the pilots do? am I missing something here about arguing pilots, and why someone wants a bunch of passengers to die in a jet crash?

Haven't you heard? Jet fin soup is the new delicacy in Japan...

ratown
05-13-2008, 14:44

Haven't you heard? Jet fin soup is the new delicacy in Japan...

Haha, I guess this guy is trying to describe the difficulty of functioning without a fin? Maybe I missed something here, but I don't think the pilots choose what's on the menu...

huvrr
05-14-2008, 06:32
pretty soon all the airplanes you fly on will be made in china....hang on