PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition/Recipe's

WaterRat
08-02-2007, 16:19
With us getting a lot of people on board with wanting to get healthy, some people may need advice on nutrition or helpful recipe's. Post them here and keep it healthy.

I'll start.

Snack:
Light fat free yogurt with a cup of Kashi Go Lean cereal. This provides a balance of protein and carbs with high fiber. Great mid morning snack.

Ron

the gooch
08-03-2007, 09:31
Watch the fat free yogurt as they are usually loaded with sugar. I always try to incorporate a serving of almonds as a snack or have a couple of pieces of turkey rolled up with low fat cheese.

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 09:53
Watch the fat free yogurt as they are usually loaded with sugar. I always try to incorporate a serving of almonds as a snack or have a couple of pieces of turkey rolled up with low fat cheese.

Yup, that's why I said the "light" version. That ones usually sweetened with artificial sweetener.

Almonds are great. Make sure to get the unsalted version.

Ron

TxScubaBear
08-03-2007, 10:30
Almonds = great heart food too! (so says my cardiologist)

Disneymom
08-03-2007, 10:47
The yogurt and Kashi combination looks really good - I'm going to have to try that for breakfasts. I don't get enough calcium as it is...

Almonds are good! Isn't red wine good for the heart (but maybe not the diet) too?

I'm trying to change my snacking to a little baggie of Total cereal when I get the munchies here at work, as opposed to crackers. I'm a carb nut - but I'm trying to refrain from using bread, buns and that kind of thing. I'll probably switch pastas to whole wheat pasta. Don't know what I'm going to do about pancakes..... I love pancakes. Another thing I've done is changed my family over from ground beef to ground turkey - works just as well for burgers and such. Bison is low fat, as well.

TxScubaBear
08-03-2007, 10:56
Red wine (unofficially he tells me) YES; as is soy milk (chocolate is great!)

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 11:27
Beef jerky is another lean highprotein snack. Just watch the sodium, it usually has a lot.

Ron

torrey
08-03-2007, 13:56
You want a recipe? I got you a meal here...not necessarily appealing in summer but awesome in fall/winter:

Healthy Chili

2 lbs extra lean ground beef
2 cans 15.5 oz kidney beans (I sub. black beans for 1 can)
1 large onion (I used 2 small)
1 large tomato (I used 2 small)
1/2 lb carrots, peeled and sliced
2 bell peppers
3 cloves garlic
1 jug Spicy V-8 46 fluid oz
Cashew meal (I used flaxseed meal)
2 tbs chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp ground pepper
salt and red pepper to taste

To make cashew meal, process cashews in a blender in short bursts. I usually use about 1/2 cup cashew meal, but got flaxseed meal this time since I have a Sprouts nearby and have always read of its health benefits (not to mention it didn't stink like I expected something healthy would smell). Anyway, chop the garlic and chop up the onions into big pieces. Cook these together with the beef until done. Drain the meat, then transfer back to your pan, mix in all of your spices, and cook a couple of minutes more. Chop up the rest of your vegetables, then put the meat, beans and vegetables into a large pot (at least 6 quart). Pour in the V-8 juice and heat to boiling. Add your cashew meal for thickening and stir. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 30 minutes. This will make 5 pretty decent-sized bowls, each being around 500 calories. I put mine in tupperware and eat it all week, but I'm crazy like that. You should be able to freeze this and eat when you want. I don't have the nutritional breakdown, but it comes out to be somewhere around 20% fat, 30% carbs, and around 50% protein with pretty much all of the carbs being low-glycemic.

Black-Gorrilla
08-03-2007, 14:08
http://www.mypyramid.gov/
hit "my pyramid plan"
and then look at recipes...

thor
08-03-2007, 14:11
I prefer the bucket of KFC for a light pre-dive snack.

No actually I like Cliff Bars

dallasdivergirl
08-03-2007, 14:18
oatmeal or all natural no sugar yougart & granola for breakfast, string cheese/almonds/sugar-free granola/dark chocolate bites for snacks. For lunches I will do the low fat/wheat/multi grain tortillas spicy mustard with turkey or rosemary ham & some swiss w/ romaine, dried cranberries & some sliced almonds. Dinner is baked chicken with some sort of brown rice or whole wheat pasta or a fresh tomato sauce with tons of carrots, onion, garlic, mushrooms & celery & some drained ground beef & some whole wheat pasta.

also during the week for breakfast I will have a clif, kashi or luna bar & a v8 for breakfast during my drive to work.

The Ab Diet by Men's health magazine has tons of good recipes.

Black-Gorrilla
08-03-2007, 14:20
i would try and avoid chocolate (dark, light, white, milk) because it stimulates the appetite

hydro
08-03-2007, 16:26
My special post-workout protein shake:

1 cup of All natural low-fat yogurt
5 large strawberries
1 large sliced banana
1/2 cup milk
5-6 ice cubes
4 scoops of whey protein (the kind I use is about 23g/scoop).

All in a blender until ice is just barely noticeable (like a good, frozen margarita). Makes around two tall glasses of yumminess. Be forewarned, this drink is about 850 calories :P

Disneymom
08-03-2007, 16:34
i would try and avoid chocolate (dark, light, white, milk) because it stimulates the appetitenooooooo..... say it isn't so! :smiley36:

TxScubaBear
08-03-2007, 16:53
Ah grass-hoppah, dark chocolate also good for heart and brain!!

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 17:23
I heard the daily serving size of dark chocolate is the size of 1 and a half hershy kisses. So it's not much.

Ron

picxie
08-03-2007, 19:40
I have dark chocolate to satisfy my chocolate cravings. I'm (nearly) vegan so it's about the only chocolate I can have anyway. I find that because it is so rich, I only need a couple of bits to satisfy the need. Ok, want.

YellowfinKunkfish
08-04-2007, 07:34
Don't know what I'm going to do about pancakes..... I love pancakes.

I think Hogsdon Mill makes a good whole wheat pancake mix. What I usually do though when I have the pancake urge, is make french toast with my whole wheat bread! It's quick and easy, takes care of the craving, tastes about the same. (sugar free syrup of course!)

Rhonda

torrey
08-04-2007, 19:27
You wouldn't want to pay the price, but Nutrisystem makes some pretty good pancakes, so I know they can be made with better ingredients. I top them off with sugar-free syrup and I'm good to go.

Osprey
08-06-2007, 16:55
check out www.cooks.com. they have TONS of recipes you can look at, most of which are easy to alter for your health needs (in my case, I am allergic to onions and tomatoes).

3rdEye
08-06-2007, 17:34

i've made protein pancakes....vanilla protein powder, cottage cheese, cinnamon, splenda, egg or egg white....mix it up into a batter and griddle it up like a pancake with some cooking spray. top it with whatever.....

tastes oddly like a pancake.

skdvr
08-07-2007, 04:52

I think Hogsdon Mill makes a good whole wheat pancake mix. What I usually do though when I have the pancake urge, is make french toast with my whole wheat bread! It's quick and easy, takes care of the craving, tastes about the same. (sugar free syrup of course!)

Rhonda

There are several types of Whole Grain pancake mix out there if you have a Trader Joes or Whole Foods near you they are the place to go. Then you have to use REAL maple syrup though. Much better than that Mrs Butterworth SUGAR stuff....

Phil

skdvr
08-07-2007, 04:56
Here is a reciepe for Health Nut Bars, that if you like peanutbutter you will like this. You can add or remove just about anything you like from the reciepe. It is a great snack or just to hold the hunger cravings away.

Health Nut Bars

1 cup flaxmeal
1 cup sunflower seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
1 cup raw almonds (can also add pecans)
1 cup uncooked oatmeal
cup shredded coconut (optional)
1 cup natural peanut butter
cup raw honey (and/or raw maple syrup)

You can also add any dried fruits or additional nuts, seeds etc.

Mix dried ingredients first then add peanut butter and honey and mix all together. Spread into an 8x8 pan (or similar size) and freeze overnight. Remove from freezer and allow to soften for approx. 10 min and cut into bars. Store in the freezer.

Phil

torrey
08-07-2007, 09:17
Those health nut bars sound good. I've always wanted to make something like that. Do you wrap them individually in wax paper? Or do you just leave the pan in the freezer?

torrey
08-07-2007, 09:24
For you high-protein/low-carb junkies - this is a recipe I found a few years back for an Italian Pot Roast. I had never cooked a pot roast or even used a crock pot before I made this the first time, but it turned out so awesome and impressed my friends so much that I share it all the time now. It'll leave your kitchen smelling wonderful all day too.

Italian Pot Roast

1 1/2 cups water
3 cubes beef bouillon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
4 pounds roast of your choice
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Pour the water into a crock-pot and add bouillon cubes and dissolve.

Rub the roast with the oil.

Mix all remaining ingredients together and roll the oiled roast in them until evenly coated.

Put the roast in the crock-pot along with any left-over ingredients.

Cook on low for several hours until done. I would usually either put this on overnight when I went to bed, or right before I leave for work. Heck, I might make it this weekend...it's been so long since I've done it.

skdvr
08-07-2007, 17:42
Those health nut bars sound good. I've always wanted to make something like that. Do you wrap them individually in wax paper? Or do you just leave the pan in the freezer?

Well if I am just going to be eating them at home I just leave them in the pan in the freezer with a cover and then cut them as I want them. If I am going to take a few to work or anywhere else then I will just go ahead and cut up the entire pan and wrap them with platic wrap.

give them a shot, I am sure you will like them... Mix it up too. Try different things in them.

Phil

Doghouse
08-08-2007, 09:55
Well I will post some recipies later, but here are 2 products I have found fantastic.

1. Fiber One breakfast bars. They are wonderful. Sweet and chewy! They hold me over until lunch better than anything else I have tried.
2. If you have a craving for ice cream, try Weight Watchers fudgesicles (sp) they will blow your mind! None of the artifical sweetener taste and all of the flavor.

torrey
08-08-2007, 12:17
Well I will post some recipies later, but here are 2 products I have found fantastic.

2. If you have a craving for ice cream, try Weight Watchers fudgesicles (sp) they will blow your mind! None of the artifical sweetener taste and all of the flavor.

My wife has gotten those a few times. Their ice cream drum-sticks aren't too bad either.

dludwig
08-10-2007, 18:50
No matter what I eat, I seem to gain. I usually drop 2 to 3 lbs after an afternoon of diving. The next morning, I've gain that back...plus more sometimes :smiley21:

CarolinaGirl
08-12-2007, 08:08
Anybody got any other ideas?? I have tried every version of yogurt there is, and it all tastes like spoiled milk. I am trying to eat better, so any snack suggestions would help. (cholesterol is edging up there!)

BuzzGA
08-12-2007, 11:27

Rhonda

Try Bob's Red Mill...the 10 grain pancake mix is good and the carbs are more complex so not quite so big a problem. My wife is diabetic so we keep a very close eye on the carbs and sugar but this is a good treat when we serve it with some proteins like eggs or meat. And of course sugar free syrup!

torrey
08-13-2007, 08:23
Where are you buying Bob's Red Mill? I don't think I've ever seen that brand.

BuzzGA
08-14-2007, 00:32
I get it at our local grocery store (Fry's which is part of the Kroger chain) but I've also seen it at Sprouts and Wild Oats

torrey
08-14-2007, 06:28
Ah, I've got a Sprouts a block away...my favorite store. I'll have to check it out.

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 22:27
Anybody got any other ideas?? I have tried every version of yogurt there is, and it all tastes like spoiled milk. I am trying to eat better, so any snack suggestions would help. (cholesterol is edging up there!)

popcorn...but watch the salt and butter

greyzen
09-01-2007, 23:19
Oatmeal is good for cholesterol...
I use those new 100 cal. packs.

They have low fat content and are only 100 calories. Lots of diff things to eat

ScubaJenn81
09-02-2007, 08:45
I eat Fiber One and applesauce. Then you can mix in raisins or grapes, blueberries, whatever fruit you can think of. It keeps be full for quite a while.