PDA

View Full Version : Hunting

skdvr
04-14-2008, 20:55
I was just curious about how many hunters we have on here. What do you like to hunt?

I hunt a little... I dove hunt, deer hunt, and turkey hunt (a little bit) here in Mo. I try to make is out as often as I can for Deer season. I hunt the rifle season and bow season. I have only hunted Black Powder once.

My favorite hunting is Prarie Dog hunting though. I do not get to do that here in Mo. we usually travel to New Castle Wyoming for that. It is a blast. Over a 3 day weekend 1 will usually go through about 1000 to 1200 rounds, between my .22 and .204. Most of the guys that hunt with me are using .22 and .17 HMR's for the close shooting (within 100 yards) and then 6mm BR (bench rest) and one or two .223's. I love my .204. Hunting Praire Dogs is so much fun becaose of the long ranges and lots of shooting. We are shooting dogs at 300 yards all day long, and you can reach out to 600 yards and beyond if you want to. 2 years ago I had the longest kill out of our group of 6 at 655 yards with a 20 knot cross wind. It did take me 3 shots but I got the little guy. If you ever have the chance to go you need to try it.

I wish I got to Prarie Dog hunt more. With vacation time conflictions I did not get to go last year and I will not make it this year either. My group is trying a different place this year in South Dakota, because the farm land that we hunted on in Wy. was sold and the new owner does not want hunters out there...

So what do you like to hunt???

Phil

jwdizney
04-14-2008, 21:02
Hunting was my favorite hobby before scuba screwed up my life..:smiley5:
was just turkey hunting this past weekend.. deer bow/black powder/ rifle, dove, quail and pheasant when I can get to Kansas.. never tried prairie dog! do you eat them? I like the though of long shots with varmint guns, but i'm a "don't kill it if you won't eat it" kinda guy, unless i'm shooting predators like coyotes etc...

cutter77
04-14-2008, 21:25
Seems like the older I get, the less I hunt.
Find it harder and harder to kill anything....I'm reduced to the point where now I even catch moths and turn them loose outside. Sheesh.

Splitlip
04-14-2008, 21:39
Seems like the older I get, the less I hunt.
Find it harder and harder to kill anything....I'm reduced to the point where now I even catch moths and turn them loose outside. Sheesh.
Yeah, me too.:smiley36:

And I have a few very nice hunting fire arms including a Remington BDL, an Ithaca Deer Slayer with buck and bird barrels, a Browning Sweet 16, a Marlin .35 Rem and .22 with the gold trigger. A couple of 30-06's, .223's...

Don't even hunt fish much. Use a camera. Sold my Biller, but have an old ScubaPro panther.

Now bugs....

skdvr
04-15-2008, 05:56
never tried prairie dog! do you eat them? I like the though of long shots with varmint guns, but i'm a "don't kill it if you won't eat it" kinda guy, unless i'm shooting predators like coyotes etc...

No you do not eat them... They are pretty much full of disease. Plus after shooting them with the high power rifles there is NOTHING left of them. They completely destroy farm land so the land owners are happy to get rig of them...

Coyote - I forgot about that. I love hunting them. The funny thing is that I have only been out actually hunting Coyote a fw times and never saw one. I have killed a few while deer hunting though... That is always exciting for me:smiley20:

Phil

unclepooty
04-15-2008, 09:16
Hunted alot in teen age years back home in Okla. Mainly deer, dove, squirrel, and rabbit during the day, 'coons and 'possum at night. Dad didn't hunt much, but Grandpa taught me, and later the time was spent with best friend in the Deep Fork River bottom. Quit through my 20's & 30's, but started deer and dove hunting again when my son got old enough and showed interest. For me, now it's not so much the killing or even shooting. But It's usually just the two of us, and we get to talk and spend time together without interuptions or distractions. As he (now 17) gets older, I know these times will become harder to come by, but we live on several hundred acres and can walk out the front door to do it, until he leaves for college.

mm2002
04-15-2008, 16:56
I do my hunting at the grocery store. Nothing more rewarding than scoring a nice porter house on sale! I don't have to sit in a tree in the cold weather to do that either! :smiley36:

Sounder
04-15-2008, 17:39
I do my hunting at the grocery store. Nothing more rewarding than scoring a nice porter house on sale! I don't have to sit in a tree in the cold weather to do that either! :smiley36:

Yeah, but there is something to the hunt... I love walking into Costco and sneaking up on a tray of filets and then JUMPING on it, wrestling it into my cart with my bare hands, and then grilling my prize.

Sounder
04-15-2008, 17:39
I do hunt Dungeness crab on scuba and shoot/eat the occassional lingcod. When the crew descends on the Dungies with X-scooters and catch bags, it just doesn't seem fair.

bechwel
04-15-2008, 19:04
:anim_kill:You bet I'll kill about anything. And eat almost everything I kill. I told my wife before we got married if she came between me and hunting she would lose. The best part about that is we are going on 15 years this month Great WIFE. I like deer and elk hunting best but spend most of my time hunting ducks.

mm2002
04-15-2008, 19:10
:anim_kill:You bet I'll kill about anything. And eat almost everything I kill. I told my wife before we got married if she came between me and hunting she would lose. The best part about that is we are going on 15 years this month Great WIFE. I like deer and elk hunting best but spend most of my time hunting ducks.

Wow! Duck hunting must be a real break from hunting Deer and Elk. Much easier to transport.

bechwel
04-15-2008, 19:15
Most of the time it's easy but one place I hunt is about a mile out in mud and water up to my knees and it's all walking. But most of the time I sit my butt in a blind with heat and all the good stuff and get great shots. Duck is very good to eat and looks great on the wall.:smiley20:

mm2002
04-15-2008, 19:30
Most of the time it's easy but one place I hunt is about a mile out in mud and water up to my knees and it's all walking. But most of the time I sit my butt in a blind with heat and all the good stuff and get great shots. Duck is very good to eat and looks great on the wall.:smiley20:

I've ate Duck, and I much prefer Chicken. Now, the question is, would I rather walk a mile in mud up to my ass, and/or sit in a blind with a propane heater to get a duck, or drive down to the grocery store for some good pre-cut chicken. Man, that IS a tough choice! :smiley36:
I'm just kidding, and you know that, but I'll stand behind MY logic. :smiley31:

skdvr
04-15-2008, 21:24

My wife understands the same thing... This past year I came home with my deer just quatered up in a cooler and she sat down with me and I tought her how to butcher the meat. We just spend a few hours trimming and slicing. Then did all the grinding the next night. It was actually a good time. None of my buddies could believe that she would sit there with me and do that.

It helps that her dad is a hunter and she grew up cleaning his ducks and geese :smiley20:.

Phil

Splitlip
04-15-2008, 21:40
she grew up cleaning his ducks and geese :smiley20:.

Phil

Is that what they call it in Missouri? Is that legal?

skdvr
04-16-2008, 06:45

Phil

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Rockhound76
04-16-2008, 06:48

Phil

It is if she is over 14. :smiley9:

mm2002
04-16-2008, 12:23

Phil

Now THAT was good! :smiley36:

hoop
04-16-2008, 15:46
Die hard waterfowler here. The colder, nastier, wetter, muddier, sleeting, lead gray overcast days, the BETTER!! I've been out pounding the ducks and geese relentlessly for close to 20 years, and I've noticed something. This is something you go do once, and swear up and down you'll never do it again, or it will completely consume you... There's nothing really in between.

As Fred Zink says: "It's not just a lifestyle, it's an obsession".

harb99
04-16-2008, 15:54
My favorite hunting is Prairie Dog hunting though. I do not get to do that here in Mo. we usually travel to New Castle Wyoming for that. It is a blast. Over a 3 day weekend 1 will usually go through about 1000 to 1200 rounds, between my .22 and .204. Most of the guys that hunt with me are using .22 and .17 HMR's for the close shooting (within 100 yards) and then 6mm BR (bench rest) and one or two .223's. I love my .204. Hunting Praire Dogs is so much fun becaose of the long ranges and lots of shooting. We are shooting dogs at 300 yards all day long, and you can reach out to 600 yards and beyond if you want to. 2 years ago I had the longest kill out of our group of 6 at 655 yards with a 20 knot cross wind. It did take me 3 shots but I got the little guy. If you ever have the chance to go you need to try it.

I wish I got to Prairie Dog hunt more.

A friend of mine and I are going in about a month - we usually go out in Kansas - it is a bit closer. Probably not quite as many PD's as the area we usually hunt was hit with a plague. We have been going for the last 3/4 years and it is a blast. I usually take my 204 and/or one of my evil black rifles (AR15) in 223. That would have been a tough shot - best I have done with my 204 is roughly 430 yards with a nice crosswind. I also take a Ruger 10/22 that I converted to a 17 HM2 - it is a nice close range rimfire (up to 100 yards - maybe just a bit farther) if you can get that close to them.

Harb

ChrisA
04-16-2008, 16:04
I opened this thread and has surprized to find anyone talking about hunting animals on land. "Hunting" in the context of a SCUBA forum is always about spearfishing or catching lobster. I've done my share of lobster hunting but now it's "off season" and I'm looking to buy a spear gun.

For you all who were are are into deer or bird hunting I'd think underwater hunting would be a natural. There is lots of critters to kill and eat in the ocean. Actually I don't hunt of every dive but I could if I wanted bring back something for dinner every weekend

BamaDiver
04-16-2008, 16:17
deer. killed my first buck last season. 170lb 7point. i was excited.
deer and diving....doesn't get any better than this.

BD

skdvr
04-16-2008, 16:48
My favorite hunting is Prairie Dog hunting though. I do not get to do that here in Mo. we usually travel to New Castle Wyoming for that. It is a blast. Over a 3 day weekend 1 will usually go through about 1000 to 1200 rounds, between my .22 and .204. Most of the guys that hunt with me are using .22 and .17 HMR's for the close shooting (within 100 yards) and then 6mm BR (bench rest) and one or two .223's. I love my .204. Hunting Praire Dogs is so much fun becaose of the long ranges and lots of shooting. We are shooting dogs at 300 yards all day long, and you can reach out to 600 yards and beyond if you want to. 2 years ago I had the longest kill out of our group of 6 at 655 yards with a 20 knot cross wind. It did take me 3 shots but I got the little guy. If you ever have the chance to go you need to try it.

I wish I got to Prairie Dog hunt more.

A friend of mine and I are going in about a month - we usually go out in Kansas - it is a bit closer. Probably not quite as many PD's as the area we usually hunt was hit with a plague. We have been going for the last 3/4 years and it is a blast. I usually take my 204 and/or one of my evil black rifles (AR15) in 223. That would have been a tough shot - best I have done with my 204 is roughly 430 yards with a nice crosswind. I also take a Ruger 10/22 that I converted to a 17 HM2 - it is a nice close range rimfire (up to 100 yards - maybe just a bit farther) if you can get that close to them.

Harb

So where in Kansas do you go? Or is it a closly guarded secret?

We get them sometimes as close as 25 yards. When that happens I always think about that Mole game that you wack the molls on the head with a hammer. It is actually kind of funny becuse with a .22 they do not pop, so you actually see the look on their face...

Phil

cummings66
04-16-2008, 18:18
I've been hunting for a long time, actually gave it up a few years back. It honestly was not fun for me. I've killed so many deer that it was no different than going to the target range and squeezing off a shot. I reload and so I was more interested in how the round performed and I'd do the dissection bit to see.

I did hunt for food only, so the only bucks I've ever shot were buttons that I thought were does.

I could tell you about the time I shot one deer and got two for the price of one. Turned out the two were side by side and from my vantage point it appeared to be one deer. I could tell you about the time a buck charged me on my cliff I hunt off of. I am a ground hunter, prefer to be down in the thick of things. To be honest, I've never shot anything other than a coyote from a stand.

I used to hunt rabbits with a Bow, that was really fun but you can go through arrows pretty fast.

As to fishing, I haven't done that in 30 years and don't intend to ever start that one up again. I may hunt deer again some day, and I suppose in retrospect I'll fish, sort of. My 5 year old daughter Elizabeth really wants to fish. She wants to "turn the fish into food", I'm not sure where she got that one from.

I've always wanted to shoot prairie dogs, that would be the ultimate.

harb99
04-16-2008, 19:39
I opened this thread and has surprized to find anyone talking about hunting animals on land. "Hunting" in the context of a SCUBA forum is always about spearfishing or catching lobster. I've done my share of lobster hunting but now it's "off season" and I'm looking to buy a spear gun.

For you all who were are are into deer or bird hunting I'd think underwater hunting would be a natural. There is lots of critters to kill and eat in the ocean. Actually I don't hunt of every dive but I could if I wanted bring back something for dinner every weekend

This is in the SI Area - "Can't be underwater all the time. Decompress here with non-scuba related topics" - there is a whole other area that addresses hunting underwater.

harb99
04-16-2008, 19:40
So where in Kansas do you go? Or is it a closly guarded secret?

skdvr - sending you a PM shortly on the location - not really a closely guarded secret if you know where to look :)

skdvr
04-16-2008, 20:26
I've been hunting for a long time, actually gave it up a few years back. It honestly was not fun for me. I've killed so many deer that it was no different than going to the target range and squeezing off a shot. I reload and so I was more interested in how the round performed and I'd do the dissection bit to see.

I did hunt for food only, so the only bucks I've ever shot were buttons that I thought were does.

I could tell you about the time I shot one deer and got two for the price of one. Turned out the two were side by side and from my vantage point it appeared to be one deer. I could tell you about the time a buck charged me on my cliff I hunt off of. I am a ground hunter, prefer to be down in the thick of things. To be honest, I've never shot anything other than a coyote from a stand.

I used to hunt rabbits with a Bow, that was really fun but you can go through arrows pretty fast.

As to fishing, I haven't done that in 30 years and don't intend to ever start that one up again. I may hunt deer again some day, and I suppose in retrospect I'll fish, sort of. My 5 year old daughter Elizabeth really wants to fish. She wants to "turn the fish into food", I'm not sure where she got that one from.

You would enjoy coming out to my buddy Bill's (was with me at TR) farm some time and do some shooting. His Brother-In-Law is a fanatic about shooting as well. He is the one that got Bill's dad and my dad shooting these 6mm BR rifles.

There is an airport right near the farm if you are interested I will let you know the next time we are all going out there...

Phil

mm2002
04-16-2008, 21:26

Not trying to change the subject, but you're 5 yr old daughters name is Elizabeth? My oldest (7 yrs old) is Elizabeth.
Just thought that was interesting, now back to the topic.

DUnder
04-17-2008, 12:58
I love to hunt Pheasant and Deer. The only time I tried Prarie Dog hunting I was using a scoped 44mag pistol. At a 100 yards the handloaded 180 gn bullets really fliped the little dogs.

harb99
04-17-2008, 13:06
The only time I tried Prairie Dog hunting I was using a scoped 44mag pistol. At a 100 yards the handloaded 180 gn bullets really flipped the little dogs.

That would be a pretty impressive shot with 44mag pistol and I imagine they did do some acrobatics :)

DUnder
04-17-2008, 13:34
At the time I was shooting my 44mag alot. Shooting prone with a sand bag rest it was not too difficult to hit the target at that range.

Garrobo
04-18-2008, 20:01
I usually shoot a couple deer each year. One for me and one for my cat. It's getting to be a pain in the butt to skin and butcher them though. Not as much fun as it was in earlier life. Turkey comes in Monday but I don't really think that I can eat a whole turkey so I'll let it go this year. I pop a few rabbits in the winter and put them in the freezer for later. I kill dozens of groundhogs and skunks each year. The hogs drill my track and the skunks just stink up the neighborhood so they gotta go. Crows are good for target practice too. None of these varmints are edible as far as I'm concerned. I tried to feed a crow and hog to my cat and he wouldn't even look at them. If a cat won't eat it, forget it.

JTMoney
04-18-2008, 21:27
I love to hunt. Deer, hog, squirrel, snipe, turkey, duck, whatevers in season really.

For me there's nothing better than getting together with a few of your buddies and having a cook out, knowing that everything there came from the wild. The same goes for fish fries as well.

My number one favorite is the ultimate surf and turf, or surf and branch as we like to call it. Grilled lobster tail caught off the coast with grilled squirrel.

scubasavvy
04-18-2008, 21:37
My family has always hunted pheasants and quail. Our motto is: "You kill it, you grill it."

Nothing goes to waste...

aprilgoddess1987
04-18-2008, 21:53
I use to deer hunt in high school, haven't been in along time now