PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a member of PADI Diving Society??

joshdlay
04-14-2008, 23:23
Just wondering if anyone is a member of the PADI Diving Society. I was wondering if it was worth it? What kind of perks does the membership come with? Thanks

abcitydiver
04-15-2008, 00:59
comes with a monthly magazine, a free cheap but usable bag, and some discounts...its not so expensive that its not worth trying once, and finding out for yourself :-)

fisheater
04-15-2008, 01:12
Yes. You get a magazine (with lots of pictures of attractive people looking at pretty fish in exotic locations). It was a deal with a combined DAN membership.

Damselfish
04-15-2008, 01:22
It's pretty much just a way to market Sport Diver magazine. You get a cheap bag, and discounts that you will likely never use, but in any event you can probably find the same deals elsewhere.

If you want to subscribe to the magazine, go for it, just ignore the nonsense about joining any "society." I think Scuba Diving magazine is better, but not different enough that it's worth getting both.

mike_s
04-15-2008, 08:57
It's just a way of PADI getting you to "join their clubhouse" and to seperate you from more of your money. remember that PADI stans for Put Another Dollar In.

If you want the magazine, then subscribe. It's not that bad of a magazine, but remember it is a way they 'market' their product. So a lot of it is biased towards them, which is expected (as it's their magazine).

The "travel discounts" can usually be found to be the same or better through other discount programs.

unclepooty
04-15-2008, 09:20
Whole family joined when certified, but only renewed myself to continue to get mag.

h2odragon1
04-15-2008, 09:40
Mostly for the magazine.

TRACI
04-15-2008, 09:41
worth the magazine subscription, never used any of the discounts.

hydro
04-15-2008, 09:46
I actually took advantage of an offer through PADI diving society to get a free DUI stretchliner last year. In fact, it was the reason I paid to join the society. The magazine just happens to be an extra.

joshdlay
04-15-2008, 09:52
Thanks for the input. I will try it once just for the bag they offer and the magazine. I am also joining to try and get discounts on motels. Thanks

Sounder
04-15-2008, 11:10
It's just a way of PADI getting you to "join their clubhouse" and to seperate you from more of your money. remember that PADI stans for Put Another Dollar In.

If you want the magazine, then subscribe. It's not that bad of a magazine, but remember it is a way they 'market' their product. So a lot of it is biased towards them, which is expected (as it's their magazine).

The "travel discounts" can usually be found to be the same or better through other discount programs.

Yup... get your checkbook out, again.

scubasamurai
04-15-2008, 11:15
i join for the mag and the occasional discounts and things, but after the membership comes due i don't think i will renew

mike_s
04-15-2008, 12:25
but after the membership comes due i don't think i will renew

I think that's the consensus I've seen every time this question has been asked on any of these boards....

DUnder
04-15-2008, 15:00
I joined for the bag and magazine. Nice mag cheap bag really don't think I will renew.

Duckydiver
04-15-2008, 19:56
just a way to market Sport Diver magazine. You get a cheap bag, and discounts that you will likely never use
dito

I joined last year to get the mag. I never renewed, If not for this thread, I would have forgoten all about it, now I must go and try to forget again..

terrillja
04-15-2008, 20:27
I'm a member, I like the mag, and they usually send a ton of offers, and I wait until I can get 2 new bags plus a yr subscription for $10. The bags work well for holding junk in, like one for my diving books, another for hoses...

Damselfish
04-15-2008, 20:57
I'm a member, I like the mag, and they usually send a ton of offers, and I wait until I can get 2 new bags plus a yr subscription for $10. The bags work well for holding junk in, like one for my diving books, another for hoses...
If you can get it dirt cheap like that, then what the heck.

texdiveguy
04-15-2008, 21:25
This comes as a 'benefit' of being a PADI Dive PRO....big deal...LOL

CompuDude
04-16-2008, 01:14
Worth it for the magazine and DAN discount, IMO. And frankly, I like the little free bag I got. Surprisingly handy.

But mostly for the pretty pictures in the magazine. :)

EuphoriaII
04-16-2008, 10:39
I don't need the magazine and just don't see it as worth it to me.

harb99
04-16-2008, 13:24
Worth it for the magazine and DAN discount, IMO. And frankly, I like the little free bag I got. Surprisingly handy.

signed up for the magazine and the bag - have not even received the bag yet and been signed up for 5 months, not sure if I will renew the subscription or not - I do agree about all of the nice pics :)

Compu - what is the discount for Dan? I probably looked right past it.

Charles R
04-16-2008, 13:45
I am, I buy the magizine every month any ways so I did say some money

scubasamurai
04-16-2008, 14:30

signed up for the magazine and the bag - have not even received the bag yet and been signed up for 5 months, not sure if I will renew the subscription or not - I do agree about all of the nice pics :)

Compu - what is the discount for Dan? I probably looked right past it.

call them if you really really want that bag. barely holds a towel hahahaha. i have two of them, because they never sent it to me and i called and complained and got one.

harb99
04-16-2008, 14:42
call them if you really really want that bag. barely holds a towel hahahaha. i have two of them, because they never sent it to me and i called and complained and got one.

I have already sent them an email - It is supposed to be on the way - I had actually forgotten about it until I was reading the magazine and noticed a card to get a subscription with the free bag shown.

I figure it will make a nice bag to take to the gym with my workout clothes.

CFDAlden
04-17-2008, 04:11
Pretty much the same as everyone else. I got it for the bag n' mag. :)

I was already a DAN member, but may wait to renew DAN if the discount is deep enough.

My wife likes the PADI mag better than Sucba Diving. They're pretty even in my opinion.

huvrr
05-13-2008, 12:08
the DAN deal was both memberships for $50

spatman
05-13-2008, 13:19
i joined when first got certified. the mag was ok, the bag fell apart, and the few discounts i did use were about the same as my AAA and costco discounts.

harb99
05-13-2008, 13:29

I have already sent them an email - It is supposed to be on the way - I had actually forgotten about it until I was reading the magazine and noticed a card to get a subscription with the free bag shown.

I figure it will make a nice bag to take to the gym with my workout clothes.

been six weeks - still no bag - so I emailed again and now they say that it does not show that I was supposed to receive one which is BS - :smiley35:

will wait and see how my last email goes over - basically told them that I had spent enough time trying to get something that was supposed to be included and if it was a big problem then to make sure that they do not send anymore renewal notices as they will be wasting their own time/money as I would not be re-upping my subscription

I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning as this is not a normal reaction from me, but it just seemed to rub me the wrong way since the first email response I received just over 6 weeks ago said there was one on the way - for the record - I could give 2 sh*ts about a bag, it is more the point of the matter

Eurodiver
05-13-2008, 22:57

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

HA HA that is funny. We have a friend that is SSI and he cracks on us all the time for being PADI.
We took our OW Course through a military installation and that is all they offer here is PADI. Could have taken NAUI or SSI in Spain but time and the craptastic Euro rate was a HUGE factor there. Don't think we could have done it in the 4 days when we were there.
One day I want to be an Instructor and I am reconsidering the whole PADI Instructor thing. Will have to look into the other once back state side.

aaronle06
05-13-2008, 23:16
http://i8.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/ef/ff/7a50_1.JPG

is this the bag that everyone is talking about? its on ebay for $3USD

spatman
05-13-2008, 23:21

that's the one. mine fell apart pretty quickly, so $3 is probably a fair price.

aaronle06
05-14-2008, 00:24

do i go through padi or DAN for this deal?

Zatharas
05-14-2008, 00:55

Found the information on the PADI diving society and DAN for $50 here: http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/ds/am/default.aspx (http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/ds/am/default.aspx)

aaronle06
05-14-2008, 01:23

Found the information on the PADI diving society and DAN for $50 here: http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/ds/am/default.aspx (http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/ds/am/default.aspx)

thanks.

harb99
05-14-2008, 08:09

i guess that is the one - the point is that it was to be included in my $30 membership, did not get one, emailed them, they promised to send one out - 6 weeks later still waiting - not going to buy something for even one dollar that was supposed to be included

NucMed Man
05-14-2008, 10:46

i guess that is the one - the point is that it was to be included in my $30 membership, did not get one, emailed them, they promised to send one out - 6 weeks later still waiting - not going to buy something for even one dollar that was supposed to be included

Dude - I somehow have ended up with 3 bags, 2 hats, and 2 windbreakers:smiley36:. I did the three year thing and did not recieve anything for awhile, so called them direct and now keep getting the junk. Send me an e-mail with address and I'll gladly part with one of the bags.:smiley20:

harb99
05-14-2008, 10:56

Dude - I somehow have ended up with 3 bags, 2 hats, and 2 windbreakers:smiley36:. I did the three year thing and did not recieve anything for awhile, so called them direct and now keep getting the junk. Send me an e-mail with address and I'll gladly part with one of the bags.:smiley20:

thanks for the offer - like I said in a previous post - it is not really about the bag, more them not living up to the subscription - I am going to wait and see how this plays out - I guess a phone call to them may be in cards :)

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
05-15-2008, 18:55
I would never have joined on my own volition. Someone gave me a membership as a gift.

harb99
05-21-2008, 11:13
***UPDATE***

I guess getting mad was the correct thing to do as on Saturday, a brand new bag arrived and I have yet to receive any email response.

:)

NucMed Man
05-22-2008, 20:16
Glad to hear it! Now lets see if they end up overloading you with the "Free Gifts" as happened to me after I contacted them several times. As said before, ended up with 3 bags, 2 hats, and 2 windbreakers:smiley29:.