PDA

View Full Version : what size nut driver to adjust mares metal proton?

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 17:07
anyone know what size nut driver i need to adjust my freeflowing proton metal?

thanks.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 17:52
Uh... None.

What you want to do is undo the hose at the second stage end. Make sure you use 2 wrenches so you don't twist the side that goes into the reg. When you open that up and look in there, you will see an allen whole. It should be a 3/16. Push down the purge, (or lever if you've removed the purge cover already) and give it just a little turn clockwise. That is moving the poppet closer to the seat. You push the lever to remove the seat from the poppet so you don't score it. Then screw together hand tight and test it. If you need more or less, lather, rinse, repeat... then tighten everything back up... then go diving!

Make sense?

awap
08-02-2007, 18:03
Little turn as in 30 degrees or 1/12 of a circle. I would expect the 1st adjustment to fix it. If 2 adjustments don't cure the problem, I get professional help. If you don't depress the purge button as you make the adjustment you may cut the seat. Then it will not adjust correctly and will require a new seat. It not hard but use care.

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 18:07
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u205/Black-Gorrilla/DSCN4499-1.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u205/Black-Gorrilla/DSCN4502.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u205/Black-Gorrilla/DSCN4501.jpg

the green thing is what turns... PUSH THE PURGE AS YOU MOVE THAT GREEN PIECE(might not be green for you)
(i took the hose off of my octo as well just for a picture!)

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 18:10
A tech area is a great idea... I'll set it up, and move this over as the first one!

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 18:29
inauguration!!!
bring out the champagne!!
:toast:

i love the "how do i stop this freeflow" in the subtitle by the way!!

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 18:43
Years from now, you'll show that forum to your grand kids and say, "Yea kids... it was my free flowing reg that caused this whole section to be created, way back when some people still had CD's to listen to music and we dove with regulators instead of filtering the oxygen out of the water..."

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 18:53
at least i'll have something to show. who would have thunk it.. my legacy, saved online for a life time or more!
now i dont have to go to school anymore and worry about becoming an Executive Chef for some huge company!!
Thanks... you changed my life for ever! (more time to dive i say)

the gooch
08-02-2007, 20:35
Thanks for the info Larry, I have the same reg and it may come in handy.

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 21:10
Fixed!!!
Thanks.
i was gonna take pictures, but got home very angry at my family. Sorry.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 21:23
at least i'll have something to show. who would have thunk it.. my legacy, saved online for a life time or more!
now i dont have to go to school anymore and worry about becoming an Executive Chef for some huge company!!
Thanks... you changed my life for ever! (more time to dive i say)

Combine the two. Chef on a top class live aboard boat traveling the south pacific! Now there's a gig!

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 21:26
Im in... gimme a few years to get my skills up!

Doug B
08-02-2007, 21:47
It's amazing. My Mares octo is ever-so-slightly free flowing. I was going to post the same question...

Doug B
08-02-2007, 21:50
Uh... None.

What you want to do is undo the hose at the second stage end. Make sure you use 2 wrenches so you don't twist the side that goes into the reg. When you open that up and look in there, you will see an allen whole. It should be a 3/16. Push down the purge, (or lever if you've removed the purge cover already) and give it just a little turn clockwise. That is moving the poppet closer to the seat. You push the lever to remove the seat from the poppet so you don't score it. Then screw together hand tight and test it. If you need more or less, lather, rinse, repeat... then tighten everything back up... then go diving!

Make sense?

Made in Italy..... and it's SAE, not Metric? I used to buy machines from an Italian company called Galdabini. Nearly every fastener on the machine used a 4mm allen wrench.

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 22:10
it is SAE, surprisingly to me too.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 22:12
May be metric... but so many metric to imperial measurements are so close... 13mm = 1/2 inch 14mm = 9/16. About the only thing there is no good metric equivalent to is a 15mm. (That's why you find it on the Scuba Tool... I learned that stuff a long, long time ago!)

Black-Gorrilla
08-03-2007, 08:36
looks like i will be getting off work early today, and will go home and take pics of this for future reference...

No Misses
08-03-2007, 09:04
I am suprised that nobody suggested checking the intermediate pressure. This will also cause second stage problems. You can buy a guage that connects to the "BC" power inflator. I believe most regs use an IP of 120-140 PSI. It should be listed in your owners manual. If your first stage is set too high or creaps (slow increase in pressure) your second stage will start leaking. Just my .02

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 10:26
Very true... good call. I was too focused there...

See when you're really cool, you have a neat little tool that lets you adjust and see the IP all at the same time. It's about 100 bucks for the tool and gauge, and you probably don't need one unless you're doing about 20 regs a day like we do...

But in case you're the kind of person that wants every cool specialty tool, here is a link http://scubatools.com/PBUniversal.html I'm talking about the 3rd one down called The Peter Built Co. Dual Drive Inline Adjusting Tool

Lacking that - you can always tighten up a bit and see if it still leaks... if it does, you IP is probably creeping. With those regs however, the protons, they use a spherical core seat, and we almost never see them creep like the standard flat seats do.

Black-Gorrilla
08-03-2007, 12:47
well, then wouldn't both of my 2nd stages have the same problem? (neither does now, the proton used to freeflow till yesterday)

No Misses
08-03-2007, 13:14
Black-Gorilla, the answer is no. as soon as one of the 2nd stages start to "leak" the overpressure (first stage creep) situation is relieved. My Mares MR22 fist stage has a slow creep. It has been there for 2 years now. I took it in for anual service and it still creeps. It is not major. Once I start breathing on the reg, the IP is kept low enough that it is not an issue (slow creep). The only time that I notice it is when I turn on my gas and end up sitting on the boat for a while before hitting the water. My Octo starts to hiss. If I take a breath off of my second stage it will stop until the pressure slowly rises above ~150-160 PSI.

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 13:48
No Misses, you can upgrade an abyss to a spherical seat which is much less likely to ever have a creep problem. Just a thought when you do your next service. It's about a $50 upgrade.

No Misses
08-03-2007, 14:10
Larry, thanks for the info. :smiley20:

Just to clarify, are you talking about changing the seat in the MR22 first stage or the Abyss Second Stage?

Black-Gorrilla
08-03-2007, 14:18
well, i knew it was freeflow from the fact that it was just in the water... had it been creeping it would have done it in my room as well.

Black-Gorrilla
08-04-2007, 10:10
pics are up some posts

ScubaToys Larry
08-04-2007, 10:18
Larry, thanks for the info. :smiley20:

Just to clarify, are you talking about changing the seat in the MR22 first stage or the Abyss Second Stage?

The first...

Doug B
08-26-2007, 22:02
my octopus was slighly free flowing the day the original post was posted. I printed the instructions on how to fix it, but set them aside for later....

Good thing, cause yesturday my octo was really free flowing. I followed the instructions, turned the adjustment a ''little'' more than the instructions said too... now the problem is fixed.

Tried everything out in the pool later - works great.

Krakenn
08-27-2007, 06:21
Hey Black, Lovely manicured nails I see you dont work with your hands for a living m8?

Kraks

Black-Gorrilla
08-31-2007, 16:09
Hey Black, Lovely manicured nails I see you dont work with your hands for a living m8?

Kraks

i go to culinary school, if i show up to class with dirt under my nails, or long nails, dirty hands etc... i cant even be in class. you have to realize that the industry im going into, you can get 100 people sick very easily, and im not gonna be the person to do it!

davepoff
12-23-2007, 22:06
I thought the nut driver needed for Mares is 5.5mm. I will have to think about the Abyss first stage upgrade so that there is no creep. I have not noticed the creep on the new 06-07 model, but have noticed it on the prior model.

MagnaBoxer
01-01-2008, 09:21
The wife, son and I each have the Viper octo's and they all have the freeflow issue. When I get home I'll be making the adjustments based on these instructions (and photos) to hopefully solve our problems. Thanks guys.

Krakenn
09-16-2008, 10:04
anyone used those ipod thingies? Im buggered if I can find where you put the tape in?

Kraks

Black-Gorrilla
09-16-2008, 22:55
anyone used those ipod thingies? Im buggered if I can find where you put the tape in?

Kraks

thats random??

cbope
09-17-2008, 01:10
Narc'd? :smiley36:

Kraks

thats random??