PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit - budget but decent quality?

Disneymom
08-02-2007, 19:30
OK, kids - I need your help.

Hubby came home today and told me he was going to get me a wetsuit. My first choice would be a Henderson Hyperstretch probably, but I need something more 'budget-friendly'. I'm considering just the standard Henderson. One of my instructors has one and it looks like it's got some serious mileage on it, which leads me to believe they're good suits.
Personally, I would like something with purple (yeah, I'm being a girl..), but it's not an absolute requirement.

So... any suggestions for a suit that meets my budget/quality requirements?

Moxie
08-02-2007, 20:19
I like the hendersons. Especially if you're built like me and very, um.... girlie. They fit well. When I dive, it's all about comfort! So I'd go and try a couple on.

fire diver
08-02-2007, 20:27
I love my BARE suit. I always try to temper my desire to save money with quality. There's a lot of cheap suits out there, but not many of them are good quality. I scour Ebay waiting for just the right item to pop up. My BARE 7mil looked brand new when I bought it from Ebay for $50. It's a $250 wetsuit. Got to be patient with this method though. Have to find the right item when big spenders aren't watching.

FD

thesmoothdome
08-02-2007, 20:54
How thick of a wetsuit? I bought my 3/2 Bare Brigade from ST for $90.00 - 10% (forum discount) a few months ago. Not a bad deal for a warm water suit.

thor
08-02-2007, 21:02
Take a serious look at Bare. They are a great value.

YellowfinKunkfish
08-02-2007, 21:02
I bought a neosport 4/3 from Scubatoys, and it was only about $80.00. I think I got it on sale. I think there is a neosport 3/2 on the website for $60.00 or close to it, with purple on it! I like the Neosport, I have heard it won't last me as long as other wetsuits, but that's fine, I'm losing weight, and knew I would be, and didn't want to spend a lot of money. It keeps me warm all the same!

Rhonda

tc_rain
08-02-2007, 21:09
4th vote here for Bare. Great suit, great fit, great price.

Disneymom
08-03-2007, 08:02
Thanks for the tips and input, everyone!

How thick of a wetsuit? I bought my 3/2 Bare Brigade from ST for $90.00 - 10% (forum discount) a few months ago. Not a bad deal for a warm water suit.a 3. I have been looking at the Bare Brigades, too.

I bought a neosport 4/3 from Scubatoys, and it was only about $80.00. I think I got it on sale. I think there is a neosport 3/2 on the website for $60.00 or close to it, with purple on it! I like the Neosport, I have heard it won't last me as long as other wetsuits, but that's fine, I'm losing weight, and knew I would be, and didn't want to spend a lot of money. It keeps me warm all the same!

RhondaRhonda - I've looked at the Neosports, I know they're made by Henderson, but I'm just a little leery of them. I know they're not a bad wetsuit, but I would like to get something that will hold up for a while. I do like the 4/3 option, though. And the weight loss is another factor.... if I drop, I'm just going to have to reinvest. Hmmm.... I think I'll give it another look, as well as the Bare again.

Zenagirl
08-03-2007, 08:13
Keep in mind that with the Henderson Hyperstretch suits you can gain or lose up to about 20 pounds and still fit into your suit! :) Depending on your size, there's someone on ScubaBoard selling a size 10 3mm Hyperstretch for like $150.

Frankly, I have Hyperstretch suits in both 3mm and 5mm and I can't imagine wearing anything else....they are simply WAY too comfortable and worth the money to me.

DirtyWaterIL
08-04-2007, 20:00
The Henderson basic suits and the neosport are exclent quality entry level suits. IMO stay way fromAkona. very low prices butthey fall apart quickly

creggur
08-04-2007, 20:41
Got the Neosport 4/3 from ST and have been perfectly satisfied.. Being from Florida I'm a bit of a cold wimp, so the 4/3 option was perfect for me. The suit fit well, good thickness, and seems to be good quality...

As a side I was looking for something more "stretchy" when I got this one, however I'm pretty average build and was told by Todd at ST that the majority of the benefit of a "stretchy" suit would probably be wasted on me because I don't have any dis-proportionate features, and was pretty much a dead on Large in the neo-sport..Well he was right, I have no problem with don/doff, it keeps me warm in the water, and is quite comfortable....YMMV

CC1020
08-07-2007, 12:06
Love my Bare 5/4 Velocity that I purchased from ScubaToys for a great price. It's not the newer "stretchy" variety, but it is a great suit, and has served me well in a wide range of temps (down to 56 degrees at Mermet Springs with hood and gloves)

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 14:46
i saw some 3mm pinnacles at my LDS yesterday... and they were like 100-125 bux...
and i hear pinnacle is good stuff.

namabiru
08-07-2007, 16:12
Yeah, I've also been told Pinnacle is good.

I usually have to look at size charts to find something that will fit properly, and so far I've found that the Neosport is closest to my measurements. There are others, I'm sure, but I'm also in the budget diver camp. I've worn mine on 20 dives now, and it's holding up so far.

Besides, look at it this way. I've got 2 suits-- a 5 mil and the 4/3, and chances are you won't wear the exact same suit each time you dive. So something you get ought to last you a good couple of years, and then you can start using it as an under suit with a thicker one.

badfrog88
08-07-2007, 20:21
Personally, I would like something with purple (yeah, I'm being a girl..), but it's not an absolute requirement...

Years ago Mares had a line of gear, including wetsuits in a purple and green color scheme. It looked great. Unfortunately, I already had gear so I didn't buy any. Amethyst is my birthstone and I've always liked purple (never have considered it "girly"). The cover on My Omega II second stage is purple and I have Mares Plana Avanti fins are "Amethyst". I would love to get more purple gear.

Kent

ertechsg
08-07-2007, 21:27
Love my Bare has several dive on it and it keeps getting mo comfy each time

Disneymom
08-09-2007, 21:57
wound up with the henderson - i think I'll be happy.

cummings66
08-09-2007, 22:32
I'm sure you will, Henderson has a good reputation.

nferra2
08-09-2007, 22:42
I here henderson wetsuits are good, but how are there Hyperflex and Neosport lines of suits?

Suther2136
08-15-2007, 18:06
I want to know that one as well. The neosport 2mm is $40! I run warm and only plan on warm water dives, so I was thinking about the 2mm shorty. Anybody got one? Good deal or junk?

nferra2
08-16-2007, 10:17
Anyone have experience with the Hyperflex? The dive shop I am getting certified at has the 3mm for $69 for students.

TAH 73
08-16-2007, 10:34
The Hyperflex suits do have a better feel, but apparently the Hyperflex fabric is not as durable as the regular wetsuit material.
If your body type fits an off the shelf suit I would consider them, but as it was posted above the hyperflex suits fit types who are not as the company cuts the suits to fit.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 10:57
I am not talking about the hyperstretch material used in some of the wetsuits, I am talking about the Hyperlex brand name under the henderson corporate umbrella. http://www.hyperflexusa.com/ I am just curious if anyone has any experience, or if the neosports are a better suit.

TAH 73
08-16-2007, 11:16
Got it. Took a quick look at thier site, they are still Henderson suits, they just brand them as "hyperflex" for the surfing market, which is what those suits are marketed towards.
if you read into the "tech" section for the suits they have a cut that is designed for surfing and other athletic pursuits. i know with discussions with an Oneil rep in regards to "surf" suits, vs dive suits and he claimed that the dive siuts use a material that is more compression resistant (which will retain more warmth at depth) than with a surf suit which in its situations that it is designed for is not subject to any compressive stresses.
If it was a straight out cost issue I would pick out a Neosport suit over one of the Hyperflex suits.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 13:26
Cool, thanks. I think I am going to go with the Neosport 4/3 or Neosport full 3mm. Choices, Choices, Choices...

namabiru
08-16-2007, 14:02
Mmm! Nice. Well, once again, it depends on where you are diving, I suppose. I wore the 4/3 in Cozumel in December, and found it quite comfortable. Then again, others were wearing shorties and were quite pleased too. I don't think there is much difference in price between the 3mil and 4/3 ($10?). I am also not quite sure what percentage of the suit is 4 mil vs. 3, so you might ask a technical question like that and go from there.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 14:16
Well, I kind of like the look of the silver\black...... I know, I know, a great way to pick a suit. I am just trying to figure out a size right now, hopefully I can decide before post number 250.

greyzen
08-23-2007, 21:27
yeah thats kinda my problem...
I'm not a 'straight off the shelf' build.

I'm like 6'3" heavy-build, and it's all stomach (though I'm not all beer bellied)

chewyjr15
08-23-2007, 21:50
im lucky my LDS has a custom line of custom cut 7mm wetsuits garuanteed for life for only 99 bucks for a sinlge piece if you are part of their dive club

Griff
08-24-2007, 09:23
Nothing new to consider other than Waterproof.

http://www.waterproof-gear.com/

I'm very pleased with mine and they are reasonably priced compared to the Hendersons I was looking at. The only problem is that not a lot of LDS have them.

h2odragon1
08-24-2007, 09:31
I picked up a Pinacle suit fror around $200, great quality! I also talked my wife into letting me buy her a Neosport, around $150. She is like you I'll call it 'thrifty', but cheap is a better word. If you get the QUALITY of the Pinacle or the Neosport you are THRIFTY!
The Neosport is like the Chrysler Crossfire, it started out as the Mercedes 350 SL chasis. You will still get the Henderson Quality, but they have newer models to sell you, so they rename some of their steady sellers.
ENJOY!!!!

Charlotte Smith
08-24-2007, 10:42
I like the excel wetsuits for the money and quality and it has held up better than my regular Henderson suit and you can customize them with pockets and zippers......but thats just me...

RobT
08-25-2007, 03:34
I've had my Neosport for almost 4 years. No problems at all. I was really surprised how well it is made for that low of a price. I'd rather spend the money on more important things.

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 04:16
another vote for BAREs.
great suits - good price.
many choices of size.

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 06:24
I love tilos. They have a superstretch and they are reasonable.

scubasamurai
08-25-2007, 13:08
well i have to take a look at the bare and henderson suits myself

mark44883
08-25-2007, 13:31
i have had no problem with my akona

danielh03
10-13-2007, 23:11
I like oneill, but they are pricey

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 01:45
I rcently purchased a Mares 5/4/3 mill and am very happy with it. Easy to don and doff and plenty warm and flexible.