PDA

View Full Version : Convince me why I should buy zeagle

microbe boy
04-16-2008, 15:07
ok. I'm guessing I'm going to get some good responses here.

I am going to buy some new gear and here is what I am thinking of.

Zeagle flat head 6
brigade
envoy octo
n2ition computer
Spg

I' m going to go with scuba toys (best price by far).

What I need is just a little more convincing on this purchase (actually I need help creating a reason to tell the wife I need new gear)

Thanks

Illini_Fan
04-16-2008, 15:12
Of the stuff you listed, I only have the Brigade. I'm not going to try to convince that it is better or worse than another BC since I haven't tried all that many.

I can tell you that I like the back inflate aspect far better than a jacket. I've never tried a BP/W combo. Obviously that feature is not unique to a brigade alone

The brigade packs very well for travel and I like the component aspect of it. You can get a size that fits you.

I have roughly 80 dives with mine in the last year and it still looks brand new, so the quality appears high.

Defman
04-16-2008, 15:18
You probably shouldn't go into this saying "I'm going to buy this brand of gear.". You should try different brands to get what works you the best, you're not buying kitchen appliances here.... Maybe a Brigade doesn't fit you so well?

ertechsg
04-16-2008, 15:34
Would agree with DM, go in( your local shop) and try them on take your swimsiut and jump in the pool with them so many great bc's, comps ect.. out there. You going to get a lot of dives with them so buy carfully. Not saying Scott does'nt make a awsome product. Thats the problem about ST too much to pick from:smiley36: overwhelming

Penguino
04-16-2008, 15:35
When I bought my Brigade, they told me it came with a lifetime warranty. So you could market that as the last time you would ever have to buy a BC.

scubasavvy
04-16-2008, 15:51
Because they're so versatile. I'm pretty sure you can dive doubles with the Brigade. You can change the bladders, add pockets, etc. Anything you can imagine. I'm pretty sure if it was necessary, you could add a coffee pot.

They're also wicked durable. My friend has had a Zeagle for a few years now and has well over 500 dives on it. The thing still looks brand new even after so many dives in New England of all places...

BSea
04-16-2008, 16:14
What I need is just a little more convincing on this purchase (actually I need help creating a reason to tell the wife I need new gear)

ThanksWhat you need to do is tell her you want a rebreather.

She'll ask: "What does it cost?"

You say: "I can get a great deal on a used one for just under 6K, and it's only 8 years old!!" (Be sure to sound excited, and act like this is nothing.)

She'll come unglued, but that's ok. Let her fume for a few minutes.

Then you say: "Well, I could step down to basic gear for less than 2K."
You get new gear, and you're a hero at the same time.

Foo2
04-16-2008, 16:21
The great BSea. There is no end to your wisdom.

ChrisA
04-16-2008, 16:41
When I bought my Brigade, they told me it came with a lifetime warranty. So you could market that as the last time you would ever have to buy a BC.

But my Aqualung has the same warranty. But then I read the fine print and found that AL defines "lifetime" as the life of the BC not the life of the owner. No joke. They really do.

Now if Zeagle has a lifetime-of-the-diver warranty then there is what you are looking for, a reason to buy Zeagle.

TxScubaBear
04-16-2008, 16:42
Like others have said- lifetime warranty speaks a lot.
BUT- make sure you are comfy with a back inflate, some folks hate them, this was my first time to try one (hated the wrap-arounds) and I went by a lot of the positive that is mentioned throughout this board. My first dive- I was hooked!

Zenagirl
04-16-2008, 16:45
All I can say is that I've had a Zeagle BC and regs for the past 4 years and they perform as well today as they did when they were new...not to mention the fact that my BC shows zero wear. My experience with my Zeagles convinced my husband to buy a Zeagle Ranger and Zeagle Flathead/Envoy combo to replace his SeaQuest Pro QD+ and Aqualung Legend regs. He's commented more than once that the Flathead breathes MUCH better than the Legend and is FAR more reliable as well (he had nothing but problems with his Legend). In regards to the regs, all I can tell you is that our Zeagles breathe as well at 133 feet as they do at 13 feet.

When you combine Zeagle and ScubaToys, you simply can't go wrong.....oh wait, doesn't my signature line say something like that? ;)

ChrisA
04-16-2008, 16:48
...they told me it came with a lifetime warranty...

I've always wonderd about "lifetime".

Does that mean if the gear explodes underwater and the diver dies then the family can't send the gear back for repair?
When you send in your equipment do they actually ask if the owner is still allive?

jtkkym
04-16-2008, 17:17
ok. I'm guessing I'm going to get some good responses here.

I am going to buy some new gear and here is what I am thinking of.

Zeagle flat head 6
brigade
envoy octo
n2ition computer
Spg

I' m going to go with scuba toys (best price by far).

Thanks

They are your life line under the water...got have dependable gears. I think you have a good list. Good Luck!

Masterchief
04-16-2008, 17:21
I have had mine for 2 years now and really love it. It has been to Belize twice and Maui, and Cozemel. Packs and travels well and ST will size it for you. I sent it back when I first ordered it, to change out some of the conponants, so now fits great.

9driver
04-16-2008, 17:48
I recently purchased 2 Brigades and 1 Ranger for myself and 2 teenage sons. We decided on Zeagle because you can use different size shoulder straps with different size waist bands. For short, stocky guys like me that was important. The fact that some of them are still made in the USA was a plus also. Ours happened to be made in the USA. You will be able to ask the owner of Zeagle any questions you may have on the manufacturers link of the forum. Finally, Scubatoys has some awesome packages featuring Zeagle. Good luck with your decision, there is an awful lot of great equipment out there.

cummings66
04-16-2008, 18:00
I think that you need to consider the manufacturer. Zeagle seems to have a philosophy like Scuba Toys, that is the customer comes first and we'll do what we need to keep them happy.

Customer service is always a positive thing.

RikRaeder
04-16-2008, 19:17
Although I haven't tried all the different regs out there, I've got the same setup as OP described and yes, they do breathe well at depth, nor do I have any problems with leakage while inverted, etc. Reliable at depth and in current. There is one BIG problem though. The little rubber Z came off from the purge button after only a hundred dives (and some Samsonite gorilla-like handling by some boat crews). I love it, but it is a bit heavy (ok by me).

JediShack
04-16-2008, 19:23
I don't have any experience with Zeagle yet, but after doing my research and reading all of the positive responses here on the forum, not to mention the fact that Scott is here to answer questions, I'm going to be buying almost the same setup the OP is thinking of getting. As soon as I get my GC that is :smiley2:.

SHAGGY
04-17-2008, 06:27
I recently purchased 2 Brigades and 1 Ranger for myself and 2 teenage sons. We decided on Zeagle because you can use different size shoulder straps with different size waist bands. For short, stocky guys like me that was important. The fact that some of them are still made in the USA was a plus also. Ours happened to be made in the USA. You will be able to ask the owner of Zeagle any questions you may have on the manufacturers link of the forum. Finally, Scubatoys has some awesome packages featuring Zeagle. Good luck with your decision, there is an awful lot of great equipment out there.

I'm looking at purchasing a Brigade for my teenage son, but didnt want to have to buy him another one later when he outgrows it. So basically I can buy one brigade and then get longer shoulder straps and larger cumberbund when the need arrises?

shaggy

Zenagirl
04-17-2008, 07:36
I'm looking at purchasing a Brigade for my teenage son, but didnt want to have to buy him another one later when he outgrows it. So basically I can buy one brigade and then get longer shoulder straps and larger cumberbund when the need arrises?

shaggy

Yes, Zeagles are modular in design. You can swap out the shoulders, the cumberbun, the vest, and the wing. :)

Sounder
04-17-2008, 11:54

You say: "I can get a great deal on a used one for just under 6K, and it's only 8 years old!!" (Be sure to sound excited, and act like this is nothing.)

Works like a charm.

harb99
04-17-2008, 12:59
I have decided to purchase the Brigade for myself and am waiting on my wife to decide between the Brigade, LaZer and Hera before I order everything - she is leaning heavily towards one of the Zeagles, but just hasnt decided 100% as of yet.

Doug B
04-17-2008, 18:30
Because they're so versatile. I'm pretty sure you can dive doubles with the Brigade. You can change the bladders, add pockets, etc. Anything you can imagine. I'm pretty sure if it was necessary, you could add a coffee pot.

They're also wicked durable. My friend has had a Zeagle for a few years now and has well over 500 dives on it. The thing still looks brand new even after so many dives in New England of all places...

It may sound funny, but I like having a 'little' bit of wear and tear on my gear..... it's sort of a "badge of honor" that says I've got a few dives under my belt.
A guy I know has a BC thats probably a dozen years old, and it REALLY shows the wear. He's proud of the BC... and wont get rid of it for a new one.

jwdizney
04-17-2008, 20:24
guess I got here too late, seems like all the points have been covered! there are a lot of great BCs out there, but the Zeagles are definitely top shelf!!!:smiley20:

Flatliner
04-18-2008, 20:38

Wife's question #1

"How much life insurence do we have?"

Wife's question #2

"Can't you pick up something on Craig's list?"

cutter77
04-20-2008, 01:19
Zeagle....gear to get you there and get you back.
Built like a tank.

Marcus
04-20-2008, 15:58
If you're getting the Flathead which is their flagship reg, get the ZX octo which is their best octo. It just adds cold water capability and controls.

microbe boy
04-22-2008, 21:33
Thanks for all the great replies.

Just so everyone knows, I have tested a number of different pieces of gear out there (at least what I can try locally which would be most brands) and I really did enjoy the zeagle BCs. My Seaquest Pro QD + is great, but I need something smaller for travel and I like the open feeling of back inflates.

Hopefully I'll be picking up this package soon. I have a trip out to California coming up in about a month and I would love to try it diving the Pacific.