PDA

View Full Version : Diving in your grey years

deepdiver47
08-02-2007, 19:34
I'm 47 and have been diving for 5 years now. I can see myself doing this until I go horizontal. Which brings me to my question.

What is diving in your 50's,60's and 70's like?

I know that growing old sucks but does it change the way that you approach diving? Boat dives only, no shore dives?
Not as many per day? Day only? I would like to know what to expect.

Thanks all, Dave

PlatypusMan
08-02-2007, 19:58
I'm 47 and have been diving for 5 years now. I can see myself doing this until I go horizontal. Which brings me to my question.

I know that growing old sucks but does it change the way that you approach diving? Boat dives only, no shore dives?

Thanks all, Dave

At 51, I'm only a few years ahead of you and would like to point out that Jacques Cousteau was diving into his 90s. That's my plan for life -- except for the French accent -- or being French for that matter.

Yesterday, a good friend of mine in Florida went in for hip replacement surgery. We dove together last in Grenada in June this year, and I know he was experiencing quite a bit of pain. Soon, he will be pain-free, and we are all looking forward to seeing him dive again -- with luck, for many more years.

With medical science making the advances it has over the last several years -- and with more research being done all the time-- I see absolutely no reason why we cannot all be diving in safety and reasonable comfort to the age that Cousteau reached.

Moxie
08-02-2007, 20:25
My SO is 41 but has been grey for about 20 years already :smiley36:

But he does seem to slow down a little bit more these days than he did in his mid 30s. It's just the way it is I guess. He prefers the boat dives and likes to relax a little bit more. I don't mind!

SiscoKid
08-02-2007, 20:37
I am thinking long as IM healthy, IM diving. 57 and steel diving!

PlatypusMan
08-02-2007, 20:55
I am thinking long as IM healthy, IM diving. 57 and steel diving!

Man -- that is hard-core!

Molten or solid?

Venio
08-02-2007, 21:26
LOL. I'm 32 and also have my fare share of gray. Oh I forgot, I'm still diving. :metoo:

@Moxie: There must be something about those gray hairs. My SO is 11 years younger, much like your deal :smiley2:.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 21:28
Well, I'm 49... but heck, that's only 39 Cayman! :smiley36:

Travelnsj
08-02-2007, 21:34
I have seen many 75 year olds diving in Palau....and they do the Blue Corner....with everyone else.

BSea
08-02-2007, 21:40
I'm 51, and I fully expect that I'll be diving for at least another 20. I might need to drop down & use a pony bottle, but I'll still dive.

I'll probably just dive water from now on. I quit steel when I turned 30. :)

deepdiver47
08-03-2007, 07:21
The Corner (heavy sigh), my favorite of all. If you can hold onto that reef hook then you can still dive anywhere

Krakenn
08-22-2007, 05:21
Man alot of you are soooo old!

Kraks

mwhities
08-22-2007, 06:51
LOL. I'm 32 and also have my fare share of gray. Oh I forgot, I'm still diving. :metoo:

@Moxie: There must be something about those gray hairs. My SO is 11 years younger, much like your deal :smiley2:.

I'm 32 as well and I have a ton of grey hair. Just ask Frank. I look like his daddy when we dive. "Michael, is Frank your son?"... then I piss my wet suit. http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=2142

Michael

Buoyant1
08-22-2007, 06:54
Hmmm they say that 50 is the new 30 so I guess I'm 23! woohoo!!!

I started diving when I was 40 (In 43 now) My usual buddy just turned 54, HE started diving when he was like 52...I think it's an ageless sport!

Vercingetorix
08-22-2007, 06:58
I started diving last January 07, one month shy of 55. I figure I've got at least 15 diving years. More, if I can find a sweet young thing to make me feel REALLY young... But (sigh) spousal unit may object. Heck, she already objects if I say my diving buddy in class was a woman.

Man alot of you are soooo old!

KraksYour time is coming buddy...your time is coming.:smiley36:

coyote
08-22-2007, 07:16
The instructor I’ve taken almost all of my classes from is in his mid 60's. He’s a retired school teacher who owns the local dive shop.
On the last houseboat trip we did 16 dives in 4 days. He did those, helped cook three meals a day for 12 people, and certified 6 new divers. And then drove home with the rest of us passed out asleep.
He's a machine

scarlet&gray nut
08-22-2007, 07:51
I just started diving last year at the age of 50. As long as I can still get me gear on I plan on diving. Beside I got all my gray hair from my kids

tedtim
08-22-2007, 07:59
I'm 47 and have been diving for 5 years now. I can see myself doing this until I go horizontal. Which brings me to my question.... I try to stay horizontal during the dive too.

Heck, I have kids that are just finishing university. This is the main reason my hair, what I have left of it, is turning grey.

My wife and I took our OW certifications in our late forties. She is approaching 51, and I am 49. Now that we don't have to worry about towing the kids around on vacation we plan around going diving.

Some of the folks I dive with are 55+. One of them, my wife's instructor is 63 and has just been diagnosed with MS. They just bought a timeshare to continue diving in Bonaire and he will keep going as long as he can. Certainly, boat diving is not in his best interests, so he chooses the dive sites with ease of entry/exit in mind. He actually finds that once he is in the water he is much better off than on land.

I recently dove as a buddy with a handicapped diver (actually, we were a group of three). If physical handicaps don't prevent them from diving, why should age for someone that is otherwise in reasonably good health.

awap
08-22-2007, 09:21
My 50's were no problem. Last summer I needed a bit more gas for a lake shore dive so I added a slung 63 and walked everything a couple hundred meters to the entry site. Next time I think I'll make 2 trips. After the 5th dive on the first day at the Flower Gardens last week, I looked in the mirror and wondered who that tired looking old man was. The next day was only 4 dives and a lot easier. (800 mg of vitamin M helps - motrin) Solo shore dives with a 1/8 mile walk are still doable but I'm getting to like my S63's more and more. I'm still swimming 3 miles a week but I suspect I'm going to have to look for easier dives as I approach 70.

rainmaker
08-22-2007, 09:34
I finished my SDI Rescue Diver cert (and also qualified for Master Diver) a few weeks ago, just a few of days before my 60th birthday. And I'm thinking about Dive Master........

Rockhound76
08-23-2007, 09:12
I learned to dive at 18, over 30 years ago. My instructor? I dropped by his shop last summer when I went back home for a visit. He was in the pool, teaching a class. I think he's well into his 60's now and still diving almost every weekend.

I was in a dive club in New Orleans long ago. Our president was a 68-yr. old woman. (our club was unique in that fact it was comprised of divers with non-diving spouses and it was about 2/3's female. We didn't set it up that way, it just happened. It made for fun trips for the non divers as they always had "buddies" too.)

I'm 50 now. I feel pretty good, and hope to be diving another 20 or 30 years. I'm already making a few consolations to age (Nitrox, for those trips to the Flower Gardens, since I too have begun to notice how tired I am after a day of dive,dive,dive. )

Disneymom
08-23-2007, 13:21
I'm in my mid-forties, and just now learning to dive! jwdizney is in his late 40's. I just think that I will try to stay in better shape so I can continue to dive for a long time to come!

RECDiver
08-23-2007, 13:21
I can sum that up with the saying that I have at the end of my personal emails.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

cudachaser
08-23-2007, 13:41
I'm 57 and still going strong...certified over 60 new divers this year already

Vercingetorix
08-23-2007, 14:04
I finished my SDI Rescue Diver cert (and also qualified for Master Diver) a few weeks ago, just a few of days before my 60th birthday. And I'm thinking about Dive Master........Funny you should mention that. Last month, completed NAUI Rescue Diver, and I'm looking forward to NAUI Training Assistant. I've wondered about going for NAUI DM.

Here's my thinking: I'm 55. I have, maybe, 15 years of diving left if I remain healthy. How many 70+ year-old divers do we see (other than Jacques C.)? While I'm in decent shape, I'm no Jack LaLanne (yeah, that dates me). It would be great if I can go longer.

Which brings us to DM. I know I won't be making a living leading dive trips for tourists in Cozumel. I'd just like to work with OW and AOW students (as I did last weekend with a Rescue class). That's fun. It's great to see the look in their eye when they discover "Hey, I can breathe underwater!!!" I don't have to be a DM to do that. Regardless whether I'm a DM or TA, there must be an instructor present.

Rainmaker, what's your motivation for DM? Or, is it just another mountain to conquer?

cummings66
08-23-2007, 14:54
Looks like I'm one of the young ones here. One thing I'd like to think is that I will never believe growing old sucks. The older I get the more I know and the more I know the more I realize I will never know it all.

Life is a journey and for me the goal is to learn as many things as I can before I check out, and have fun doing it. Physically I'd like to feel like I did 20 years ago, but I don't think I'll ever get back there again. Mentally I'd never want to revert, not even if I could get back to where I used to be physically.

3rdEye
08-24-2007, 01:25
my DM in coz was 67.....he told us his wife says that he wants sex too much for his age....lol....maybe the diving keeps him young

rainmaker
08-24-2007, 15:20
Rick,

I suppose my main motivation is just the sense of accomplishment.

Realistically, I don't see myself working as a divemaster. However, going on to be an OW instructor is appealing to me.

chinacat46
08-25-2007, 12:58
I've dove with people in there 70's and they do just fine. They might move a little slower topside but underwater it doesn't matter cause the slower you go the more you see. They seem to do just about all the dives too. On one trip on the Sun Dancer I did all the dives and the 76 year old guy was second. He skipped one night dive.

Vercingetorix
08-25-2007, 15:34
Rick,

I suppose my main motivation is just the sense of accomplishment.

Realistically, I don't see myself working as a divemaster. However, going on to be an OW instructor is appealing to me.I hear ya. That's what appeals to me about going for DM. I think, for me though, TA may be sufficient. We'll see.

Besides, there's all the big bucks DMs earn when working with OW classes.:smiley36:

medred
08-25-2007, 16:01
Hi guy, Ive been diving for about 10 years, loving every minute under the blue. Age doesn't matter, it's attitude. Have more than 500 logged dives, am 75 and looking forward to a dive trip in October. Sooo don't want to do 4-5 dives a day, you can just kick back and do what feels good. Each year I'm more relaxed, nothing to prove and use less air and just enjoy.

Capt Hook
08-25-2007, 18:01
The only change I have made is I don't do deep (80+ ft) dives as often.

Theepdinker
08-25-2007, 19:38
Started when I was 14.
I'll complete DM shortly, I'll be 48 in 2 weeks.

I intend to dive as long as my body holds together.

Theep

Krakenn
08-25-2007, 19:57
What impact does the pressure have on the oldies.
I mean for those over 55yoa, is there concerns in relation to blood pressure or metabolic rates that pressure would have on them?

If so should they be confined to the 10m mark for safety of themselves and other divers?

We should start a new thread on Dive Medicine.

Kraks

Vercingetorix
08-25-2007, 20:15
What impact does the pressure have on the oldies.
I mean for those over 55yoa, is there concerns in relation to blood pressure or metabolic rates that pressure would have on them?

If so should they be confined to the 10m mark for safety of themselves and other divers?

We should start a new thread on Dive Medicine.

KraksWTF?:smilie40:
Thank you for listening.

Krakenn
08-25-2007, 20:18
Hehehe - I was wondering who would be first.

Smiles

Kraks

PlatypusMan
08-25-2007, 23:56
Besides, there's all the big bucks DMs earn when working with OW classes.:smiley36:

Actually, most of us do it for the chicks.

scubajane
10-17-2007, 19:43
we are in our 50's we have only been diving for 2 years. my hubby would love to have gray hair. he would like to have hair. we move slowly and love every minute of diving. yes we also enjoy the effects of vitamin M

Tom A
10-17-2007, 19:55
im 51 fixing to take my rescue for our volenteer fire dept then work on dive master

RECDiver
10-17-2007, 20:34
I'm 54 and it sometimes takes longer to get things done. Steel tanks get a little heavier, dive bags get a little heavier, it gets harder to pull myself up into the bed of the pickup sometimes, but the diving is still fantastic. I have a friend of mine in his early 70s still diving and teaching, two others in their mid to late 60s and both are technical/cave divers. You need to keep yourself in descent shape and that gets harder as the years go by.

tedwhiteva
10-17-2007, 20:48
60 this June. Restarted diving 5 years ago, DM 3 years ago, instructor 2 years ago, trimix certified last year, starting cave certification in 10 days.

Do it for relaxation and stress relief. Its been a blast. Yes, Gracie, NITROX helps! Got to admit I was dragging after 4 dives for two separate classes last weekend though.

Kokomo
10-17-2007, 21:01
Just turned 50 and started diving last year. When we were in Bonaire I felt like we were the young ones. There were an awful lot of divers that looked older than us. Taking up diving has inspired me to stay in better shape. And I find it way more relaxing than strenuous.

gtlaqua
10-17-2007, 22:07
i am 58 yrs young i am a dive instructor , diving in the pool every day with students and diving in the quarrries and ocean has kept me in great shape i can out kick my younger divers they laugh they say i am haft fish keep diving and running helps.:smiley31:

Splitlip
10-17-2007, 22:28

Thanks all, Dave

At 51, I'm only a few years ahead of you and would like to point out that Jacques Cousteau was diving into his 90s. That's my plan for life -- except for the French accent -- or being French for that matter.

And except for those grape smuggler shorts too, I hope. ..shudder..

reservecops
10-18-2007, 08:45
My Dad is 66 and he's back diving again (after a ~30 year sabbatical and getting recertified this year). While he says things like "if the waves are over 2-3 feet, I won't dive" and such, he does ... :)

I will say that, while he indulges in a cocktail or two any other time, he is very religious about NOT drinking the day before or just before a dive. I suppose that, being older, you've got enough factors against you, why add more that you can avoid?

BobArnold8265
10-18-2007, 08:47
I'm 46 now and am trying to keep myself in pretty good shape. To be able to dive well into my 70s is good motivation to stay healthy !!!

Boris42
10-18-2007, 09:17
I just turned 50 in July and got certified in Sept. I sure hope I have many years of diving left in me. Not only do I love it, we just dropped a bundle in gear.