PDA

View Full Version : DEMA Show being trade only

Taigin
04-16-2008, 19:02
So I was having an interesting discussion with the purchaser for my LDS (Ocean Concepts in Hawaii) and the owner regarding DEMA Show. I stated that it is regrettable that the DEMA Show is trade only. They (surprisingly) jumped right onto my band wagon.

Given that all these industry professionals get to see all the cool stuff first, I think it is unfair. However, more sensibly, if it were open to consumers, it would also provide companies the abillity to get instant feedback concerning a lot of their items.

Imagine if you will an inexperienced diver (5-20) dives walking up to a new slick product, examining it and proclaiming: "I don't get it." This provides the company an instant opportunity to figure out how to approach new divers, and to make it more clear to customers the hows and whys of their product.

On the flip side, take an experienced diver (taught Jacques Cousteau how to swim), he could look at a product (hopefully objectively) and comment on something that doesn't look right about the product. This provides the company with instant customer feedback on how to improve a product not just in function, but how to appeal to experienced divers as well.

Now I get that the industry pros are supposedly all experienced divers, but I would bet a small amount that some of them are simply salesmen. They may have dived or not, but their concern is the bottom line. The owner of my dive shop admittedly told us that he has not dove in awhile because he is simply so busy.

Anyways, I would like to see DEMA Show opened to consumers. They could keep it trade only in that they have 1 day open only to trade and then the rest of the days open to consumers and traders......

Opinions?

fkostyun
04-16-2008, 19:06
One thing to consider, is that while DEMA is for manufacturers - there are two other shows that are for consumers - the Beneath the Sea Show and the Long Beach Scuba Show.

On a side note: Why not further your education and become a Dive Master - then you are able to attend!

Taigin
04-16-2008, 19:10
It is a goal that is out there.....

But that accreditation would block the new diver response to new products.

fireflock
04-16-2008, 19:29
The exhibitors at DEMA aren't interested in selling things to end customers. They are interested in selling products to retailers. Flooding the place with joe regular diver takes time and effort away from what they are trying to accomplish.

That's the party line, anyway.

CompuDude
04-16-2008, 19:32
The exhibitors at DEMA aren't interested in selling things to end customers. They are interested in selling products to retailers. Flooding the place with joe regular diver takes time and effort away from what they are trying to accomplish.

That's the party line, anyway.

I'll admit this approach makes sense, from their POV.

And there are two shows designed just for consumers. Industry isn't allowed to have a trade-only event?

mitsuguy
04-16-2008, 19:56
IMO, if they were to do that, they should approach it like SEMA... the aftermarket car specialty show...

Not sure how long DEMA lasts, but SEMA is traditionally almost a week long, from Tuesday through Sunday. Saturday and Sunday are open to the public, however, Sunday is kinda a tear down day... The prior 4 days are open only to authorized personnel...

Something like that would be a good compromise...

cummings66
04-17-2008, 07:22
Every industry out there seems to have shows just for the retailers. Retailers need the exposure just as much as customers do, so I don't regard it as unfair or anything like that.

It'd be nice to attend one, but I'm not put out by their rules.

No Misses
04-17-2008, 09:09
I don't know about you. But, I can not afford to join DEMA.

MEMBERSHIP DUES
Dues are based on the following dues schedule:

Gross Income..............Dues.....# of Votes

Category A Members:
Up to $500,000...............$150............1

$500,001 - $2 Million.......$500............5
Over $2 Million................$2500..........25

All Associate Members:..$150...........0

ChrisA
04-17-2008, 13:56
Given that all these industry professionals get to see all the cool stuff first, I think it is unfair. However, more sensibly, if it were open to consumers, it would also provide companies the abillity to get instant feedback concerning a lot of their items....

Have you talked the the manufactures and distributers? Those were the people who complained and caused the change. If you are putting on a show your "customers" are the people who buy the floor space and put in booths. The people who come to see the show are not. Ah, you say put they have to pay for a ticket. Even that ticket is to further the cause of selling floor space. What it does is tell the exhibiors that only people "serious enough" to pay to get in will be there. In other words what the exhibitors are paying for is "demographics" they want the "right people" in this case it is those who have $50K to $500K to spend on equipment

What the exisbitors complained about was that the booths were filled with just "normal divers" who at BEST would only buy one BC or one regulator. and they were taking up space and causeing the LDS ownder who might be buying $100K worth the gear from being able to spend qualty time in the booth. Basically they said "If you dont get rid of all these end users we will not be comming back next year to rent a booth."

If a distributer needs to talk to divers they can do that for free. All they need to do is show up some place near water with gear. Last year the local Diverite rep brought some drysuits, BCs reels and what not to the beach and let people dive with it. He had a crowd. I've checked out some Mares equipment the same way. By showing up at a local dive place they get to talk to "real divers" who actually dive and they did not have to rent booth space.

If you just want to look at gear at a show come to Long Beach in June It is a great show for that. You can do some diving here in So Cal too. I'd call So. Cal one of the best "sleeper" vacation dive spots on earth. Really. the diving is great and everything is priced far below any of the resort areas. You can actually get a hotel room walking distnce from the Dive Park on Catalina island for under $50. Do all the dives you want for free or there is a boat right there too. So come see the show and then get four or five dives in. Cheaper here then the FL Keys or Mexico.

mike_s
04-17-2008, 14:11
One thing to consider, is that while DEMA is for manufacturers - there are two other shows that are for consumers - the Beneath the Sea Show and the Long Beach Scuba Show.

On a side note: Why not further your education and become a Dive Master - then you are able to attend!

Exactly.

DEMA is designed to sell to Dive Shops. Having to answer the same questions to "newbie divers" over and over again is not what it's designed for.

For what it's worth, with the internet and everything else getting information out quickly, lots of folks don't think that Dema's worth all that much anymore either... their attendence is gettting lower I think.