PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Dive Club?!?!

moosicman
04-17-2008, 19:14
I want to start a dive club here in my area and I was wondering about some tips and pointers from those who have done so. What things to do and things to avoid would be nice. We don't have one locally so I am completely ignorant of them. Do you have a dues type of system or anything. What is your advice? Thanks in advance!!!

scubasamurai
04-17-2008, 19:36
make sure you have a good lds to support your group and maybe even help sponsor trips and events.

fireflock
04-17-2008, 19:59
There is some good stuff in this thread:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/6103-starting-dive-club.html

Hopefully, more people will chime in with some ideas here too.

Good Luck-

Splitlip
04-17-2008, 20:23
Maybe you can get a hold of these guys.
Been around 50 years. Try and get a hold of Jerry.
Palm Beach Fin Divers, Official Site of Palm Beach County's Oldest Scuba Dive Club (http://www.palmbeachfindiversclub.com/)
Might be able to advise.

Soonerwink
04-18-2008, 22:40
We have a dive club in Tulsa that we started with a website through meetup.com. We liked the website so well that we still use it. You can click on Tulsa Aquanauts at the bottom of my post to check it out. We now have 57 members. You won't get many people to join if you charge dues. We just take up a collection at our monthly meeting if anyone wants to contribute to the cost of the website. We also sell t-shirts to help pay expenses. We purposely do not associate ourselves with any one dive shop. We want divers from all agencys and shops to participate. We have become so successfull in only a year that now we are the only dive club in our area. There used to be a couple sponsered by our local dive shops and they charged a membership fee. And they have both disbanded because of lack of membership. Both dive shops do send new divers our way. And we do promote any trips or local diving that they have going on.

cleansweep13
04-20-2008, 19:08
I seen a few web sits that have dive clubs. THta may be a good ideal for travel specials.

ChrisA
04-20-2008, 19:24
I want to start a dive club here in my area and I was wondering about some tips and pointers from those who have done so. What things to do and things to avoid would be nice. We don't have one locally so I am completely ignorant of them. Do you have a dues type of system or anything. What is your advice? Thanks in advance!!!

I was one of the first members in a clube that is now about four years old. The key the having a club is to dive, dive, dive. Here in So Cal there are more "dive clubs" then you can count but 95% of them are associated with some LDS and all they do is meet some place one a month and maybe have a monthly beach dive. AND of course the real reason for the club is to promote the LDS' dive travel and local charters. So the club meetins become "info-merseral" for the LDS.

We have a club that just dives. We have meetings, if you cal them that, in the parking lots where gearing up and almost always a tailgate party post dive. We dive three days a week Every Sun and Sat morning and every wed. night. The other thing is to have a wide range of experiance levels and tell new divers we WILL have a buddy for you -- just show up. When you dive 3 days a week new divers don't stay "new" for long.

How to start it. You need a couple leaders who have a stong personality and are wiling to work hard. Start out saying "Free hotdogs and beer this Saturdey after the club dive" People will say "what club?" when you see other divers ovver them the free beer and hot dogs. What they say how to I join? tell them "your in, that's it." You need a web site or at least an e-mail list and distribute cell phone numbers. Make up a name. a logo and a web site. And just keep promoting it. Don't worry abut the cost of the tailgate party supplies, as more people show up they will bring some

The bottom line is yu just jump in an do it. Don't wait for a crittical mass. If you can get two people. That's enough.

CFDAlden
04-21-2008, 00:20
I started a website, and placed posters / handouts at both local shops, with their permission. It's slowly growing, and I need to rehit the shops with more handouts.

Not so much a club, but a way to get folks together for loacl diving.