PDA

View Full Version : Dry mouth solutions

moosicman
04-18-2008, 08:18
I usually get a pretty dry mouth and throat when diving and I know what it is that causes it, what I want are some tips for helping it not happen. Can't just take a swallow of saltwater..LOL

Smashee
04-18-2008, 08:50
Camelback bladder in the BCD pocket?

Osprey
04-18-2008, 09:49
ST sells that biofilter or whatever that adds a little moisture to your reg, but I'd worry about having yet another piece of equipment to manage. I heard staying very hydrated before diving helps, but I'm bad at taking in fluids so I dunno

TommyB
04-18-2008, 09:50
Capri Sun -
I carry a couple Capri Sun fruit drinks in my BC
Just poke the straw in it, remove reg, squeeze the package, and fill mouth with drink - swallow -- rinse and repeat :)

http://www.kraftfoods.com/caprisun/images/image1_1.jpg

Or you can use what my wife likes --
Apollo Bio Filter, Accessories-General, Apollo, Apollo Bio Filter (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFilter)
http://scubatoys.com/store/regs/pics/biofilter.jpg
After she got this, no more dry-mouth

DevilDiver
04-18-2008, 09:52
I always chew gum before diving...This works and loosens the muscles witch helps with clearing ears and gets the juices in the mouth going. Also drinking a sports drink (lots of water is a good idea always) to help keep you hydrated through out the day I believe is a good idea as well. They suggest staying away from energy drinks because of the possibility of unexpected effect at depth because of the sugar and caffeine load.......

A custom mouth piece or filter might help as well .......... There are regulators that promote more moisture also.

Zyxistal
04-18-2008, 09:52
Stay very hydrated before a dive.

Use a steel/titanium reg (this helps a little extra moisture collect).

Buy a Bio-Filter (which has a place to add water to it to put moisture into the air).

Carry/Drink a Capri Sun during the dive.

Penguino
04-18-2008, 12:41
Do the Mares metal regs help this problem or is it just a gimmick?

Black-Gorrilla
04-18-2008, 12:58
i dive a v16/proton metal.... and i never have dry mouth...
some of it might be because i drink when i leave my house and all the way down to the keys about 40-45 minutes...and about 2 of the big cans of arizona green tea on the boat before my first dive, and i usually drink another one on surface interval...

Beaucoupfishies
04-18-2008, 19:26
I haven't had issues with it either, but I always carry around a big drink wherever I go. In fact, I had issues with drooling into the regulator. :icondrool:

But I haven't done more than a couple of dives in a row either.

chinacat46
04-18-2008, 21:10
suck on a jolly rancher or some other hard candy

cleansweep13
04-20-2008, 19:11
I'm also thinking about purchasing the proton metal to see if that cures dry mounth.

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 21:04
Stay very hydrated before a dive.

Use a steel/titanium reg (this helps a little extra moisture collect).

Buy a Bio-Filter (which has a place to add water to it to put moisture into the air).

Carry/Drink a Capri Sun during the dive.

All true, staying hydrated, metal second stage reg, but how do you drink during the dive. I have to try that.