PDA

View Full Version : Taking first cruise and ocean dive

danielh03
04-18-2008, 11:50
Hey guys, being I will miss the best part of the dive season this year due to Military Obligations I have decided to take my wife on a 5 day cruise and dive trip. Stopping in Cozumel for a day of diving. Got to admitt, I am a bit nervous, but also feel like a kid the weeks leading up to Christmas!!!

mwhities
04-18-2008, 11:57
I dove Cozumel last year off the Carnival Conquest. I called and booked with Christie at Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico (http://www.bluextseadiving.com/). Pedro was my DM and a great one at that.

When you get back, give us a dive report and most of all, ENJOY your cruise! :)

gthomas
04-18-2008, 12:12
You'll love Cozumel. We like to go a few times a year.

b1draper
04-18-2008, 12:37
Diving in Cozumel is pretty easy, because most of it is just drift diving and it will be usually led by a DM and there will probably be you and about 10-15 other divers. Just stay with the group and relax. I would say most importantly listen to the briefing, stay with the group and just relax.

ertechsg
04-18-2008, 13:35
look out for the sharks... lol...there just nurse sharks mostly ...the bite really does'nt hurt too much. :smiley36:

as for your military obligations let me say THANK YOU

MSilvia
04-18-2008, 14:00
most of it is just drift diving and it will be usually led by a DM and there will probably be you and about 10-15 other divers.
Unless I'm travelling with 10-15 other divers, you wouldn't catch me on a boat like that if there's any other option. No offense Brian, but IMHO those trips are the diving equivalent of a clown car.
:trangt:

Fortunately, there are several small ops in Cozumel, like Xtabay, who run "6-pack" trips with personal attention. There isn't any "staying with the group", because you are the group. Last time I was out with them, there were 4 divers, an excellent DM, and the captain. It made for what is, in my opinion, a much better experience than you'll ever get on a cattle boat, and you may even find the prices are better.

reactive
04-18-2008, 14:04
Last time I went to Cozumel, I wasn't OW certified yet, but the snorkeling was awesome! There was also really nice snorkeling in Grand Caymen which was a stop our cruise made, so I would imagine that the diving is really nice too!

mwhities
04-18-2008, 14:31
most of it is just drift diving and it will be usually led by a DM and there will probably be you and about 10-15 other divers.
Unless I'm travelling with 10-15 other divers, you wouldn't catch me on a boat like that if there's any other option. No offense Brian, but IMHO those trips are the diving equivalent of a clown car.
:trangt:

Fortunately, there are several small ops in Cozumel, like Xtabay, who run "6-pack" trips with personal attention. There isn't any "staying with the group", because you are the group. Last time I was out with them, there were 4 divers, an excellent DM, and the captain. It made for what is, in my experience, a much better experience than you'll ever get on a cattle boat, and you may even find the prices are better.

That's why I choice BlueXtaSea for diving. Only 4 divers, DM, Instructor and boat Captain. Had a great time.

torrey
04-18-2008, 16:23
Skip the McDonalds by the pier and try the local cuisine!

scubasamurai
04-18-2008, 16:56
have a good time, check with the cruise line too to see if they have an operator they work with, at least you won't get left behind.

the drifts are nice

b1draper
04-19-2008, 06:02
Well I guess I need to clarify, I looked at Danielh03's profile and saw that he had between 0-24 dives and for a person with that small number of dives I'd suggest just "sticking with the group". Also if he's booking the dive trip through the cruise ship there will be a "large group".

However, for people that have more experience I'm fine with them booking their own trip with a local op outside of the ship. That's the only way that you're not going to end up at the same place everyone else is and has been going. Usually, the ops that work with the cruise ships take you to the closest places and then back to the ship.

I had one op take me to a location so close to the ship I probably could have swam from the ship to the location.

danielh03
04-19-2008, 06:50
I agree with you. As stated in my first post, this is our VERY first dive in the deep blue. I talked to my LDS who offered to set me up with a friend down there who is a DM for the same price I am booking through the cruise, but I feel more comfortable just going in a large group for the first time and sticking with them. Next year (when I get home from Iraq) I am planning on doing something a little less comercial, and much more personal!!! (with out the wife :smiley2:). This is going to be a relaxing vacation ( I hope).

Well I guess I need to clarify, I looked at Danielh03's profile and saw that he had between 0-24 dives and for a person with that small number of dives I'd suggest just "sticking with the group". Also if he's booking the dive trip through the cruise ship there will be a "large group".

However, for people that have more experience I'm fine with them booking their own trip with a local op outside of the ship. That's the only way that you're not going to end up at the same place everyone else is and has been going. Usually, the ops that work with the cruise ships take you to the closest places and then back to the ship.

I had one op take me to a location so close to the ship I probably could have swam from the ship to the location.