PDA

View Full Version : OW at the Crater in UT?

Sparkyvett
04-18-2008, 12:04
Has anyone done their open water certification at the Homestead Crater in Utah? If so, how did you like it?

bechwel
04-18-2008, 22:20
I did not do my OW cert at the crater but have been there many times.
Water is very warm. I would say give it a try.

Desert_Diver
04-20-2008, 09:07
The Crater is an altitude dive. If you are doing you OW cert there, you need to stay above the suspended wagon wheel. The Crater is only about 65 feet deep, however, if you spend significant time on the bottom, you may not be able to return to Salt Lake over Parley's Canyon (I-80) because there is a significant altitude increase between Heber, UT and the summit of the pass (think flying after diving). If you go home through Provo Canyon, there is no altitude increase and you'll be OK although it is a longer drive.

The nice thing about the Crater for winter time cert dives is that the water is warm (about 90 degrees F).

If you dive the Crater once, you have seen just about everything there is to see. It is inside an old volcano cone and the water is volcanically heated. It's not huge. Maybe 40 to 50 feet in diameter, 65 feet deep. Nothing lives in the water (with the exception of some plastic toys- Great White Shark-Tyroannosaus Rex-Alligator, etc). The operation is set up (and primarily supported) by local dive shops doing their cert dives there. There are several square PVC platforms for the student divers to hang onto while they are waiting their turn to do skills pass offs. The wagon wheel sits at about 40 feet as a marker not to go deeper. If you loose gear, usually an instructor or DM will go down after it and the student will stay on a platform or on the surface.

You will not need a wet suit. I usually dive it in swim trunks and T shirt. However, you should dress appropriately for the local outdoor weather at that time of year. This winter, the snow was piled more than 6-8 feet deep around the perimeter of the parking lot.

Make sure that you understand who is paying the Crater fee before you go. I think it is now in the neighborhood of $20 per session. Locally, the dive shops pay the fee (it is included in the price of the dive cert class) but I don't know how the Colorado/Idaho/Wyoming shops do it.

Have fun. Dive safe.

Art

ScottW
04-21-2008, 08:37
Congrats on becoming a diver.

Good information and very well put Desert_Diver. Just let me add one thing since the OP is from Wyoming and will be most likely coming through Evanston. There will be some increase in altitude. Hopefully your instructor will give you additional information regarding altitude diving.

Sparkyvett
04-21-2008, 09:46
Thanks for the good information. I'm going to the Crater this weekend with High Plains Scuba out of Ft. Collins, CO. I'll make sure I ask about the drive, we'll be taking I-80 from Cheyenne to Utah, then head south.

joemamma
09-25-2008, 00:25
Good to know I'm not the only Utah based diver on the board! I might need to hook up with you guys to go dive, my buddy(my wife) refuses to dive in "dirty" lakes. So I get stuck twiddling my thumbs in between dive trips.

Desert_Diver
09-26-2008, 23:41
Good to know I'm not the only Utah based diver on the board! I might need to hook up with you guys to go dive, my buddy(my wife) refuses to dive in "dirty" lakes. So I get stuck twiddling my thumbs in between dive trips.

Actually, I think there are a bunch of Utah divers on the board. But we aren't "organized". I do think some of the local dive shops in the Salt Lake Valley organize fun dives but it isn't well advertised.

I heard some talk of a dive club, but it never seemed to gel into any concrete action.

Rogue, did you ever hear any thing else about the club that was trying to get started?

Art

ScottW
09-30-2008, 13:00
I heard some talk of a dive club, but it never seemed to gel into any concrete action.

Rogue, did you ever hear any thing else about the club that was trying to get started?

Art
I talked with Josh at Bear Lake a couple weeks ago and he is pretty tied up ATM with real life and hasn't done much work on it. He has moved and changed the site to saltyscuba.com since the CIO of his work won't allow them to use any affiliations with their company.
I have his buoy and flag so it will give me reason to give him a call.

georoc01
09-30-2008, 14:53
This thread is kind of old, but I did my OW at the Crater. It beats the blue hole in Santa Rosa, NM for wintertime OW dives.

It was 92 at the surface, 96 at the platform. So its definitely warm water diving and you don't need to worry about the wetsuit requirements that colder options require.

Clanggedin
10-22-2008, 09:28
If you plan on going diving the crater this winter, and you don't want to pay the $20 to get in. I would suggest making friends with the LDS and going with them, usually you can go in as a Divemaster candidate and pay only $10.