PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to Chuuk?

deepdiver47
08-02-2007, 20:44
Looking for info for a possible January trip. Thinking about staying/diving with the Truk Stop.

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 21:15
It's been about 4 years.. but yea... Awesome diving. Now, I'd tell you to do a live aboard. I was on the Aggressor there and it was great. And since you're in the tropics - you get all these quick heavy rain falls all the time. I remember sitting under the canopy, nibbling some snacks, and here comes an open boat with a bunch of divers squinting from the rain pelting them, they hook on to our tag line to do the dive, then after - off they go back to shore.

And then we had to spend one night on shore at a motel before the flight the next day. So we asked, what is there to do, what should we go see... and they told us - "Do not go out after dark around here - you'll get mugged". I told them, there are a dozen of us, and we're pretty big guys, he said, "Doesn't matter - do not leave the property after dark..."

Made me glad we only had one night on the island.

Now maybe things have changed, or maybe that was exaggerated, but that's what happened when I went... But the diving was amazing!

Travelnsj
08-02-2007, 21:24
I was there about 5 years ago...I would not stay at the Truk Stop...stay at the Blue Lagoon...Truk reminds me of a poor mans Jamacia....unless you are 100% into wrecks....go to Palau....been there 8 times...plenty of wrecks....and the diving is the best overall i've encountered....need any info let me know.

Krakenn
08-03-2007, 08:09
LOL, We aussies walk off into the night and later the guy from the hotel drives up and tells us we have better get home before we get into trouble. noone ever says that. - you know dumb Aussies everyone is a friend until they start shooting at you. Well we had no trouble but there was alot of drug and alcohol abuse on the island. If you get up to the Truk Stop bar over the bar you will see an US dollar stapled there by my mates and i along with a few others. Its right over the centre bar just look up. Im told its still there, I would love to hear back from you if you see it. It will say Kenn John and Shane and a few other words.... sigh

Well being an Aussie Id rather die on my feet than on my knees dude so I reckon youll have fun and there is more to offer at Truk Stop and besides Blue Lagoon is on the other side of the Island and it costs alot to get a Taxi - Hehehehe wait till you see the Taxis. Fasten your seat belt smiles.

Divemaster Dan is a Yank that, well he has been too deep for too long but we really liked him. His knowledge of the wrecks is second to none. The local boys take you out on the boats and these guys are unbelievable divers, their boyancy control and knowledge of where the wrecks are is just well wowww. But if Cptn Dan (We all ended up calling him that) invites you over for a dinner/bbq at his place, um just ask, innocently like, what meat is cooking ok as the delicacy on the Island is Pig followed by Dog. Pigs are really expensive.

I stayed at Truk Stop and enjoyed it though i must agree the Island is like a tipsite which is disappointing. We wouldnt stay at Blue Lagoon as a few years ago a new Wreck was found and the chatter was that the bell was taken by a local. You may have seen the programme on TV about the expedition. They also found a second ship 90m in length but wouldnt reveal its location after the bell was taken from the first ship they found.

Lol I remember going out to the 'Nightclub' - Smiles double storied place sort of mexican villa stlye of thing, there everyone is spitting this red crap around blood nut or something and you go down stairs to the toilets and there is a generator going full bore with no ventillation. I remember thinking dont pass out here dude or theyll take you home in a bag.

If you stay on the island do the gun emplacement tour it is amazing to see all these caves and gun emplacements in the island. One of the things to remember is that your dive guide will only take you to islands that he has relatives on as there are very close family territories in Chuuk.

You'll love the Shark Dive - Just hold your position!

Upon re-reading this, it may seem a little off putting but can I assure you that the diving is amazing and this is a spot you JUST have to dive one day.

So to answer your question, yes I would stay at Truk Stop again, though please recognise that it isnt as modern as Blue Lagoon.

Oh if you decide to give the boys a tip at the end of the week take it out to them personally on your last dive. We gave all our left over duty free booze to Cptn Dan.

You'll like Truk Stop im sure, but if any aussies read this the beer is um different it tastes like they have watered it down and they dont have lemonade its this funny yellowy stuff- urggg - Take a few bottles of scotch or Jacks.

All the best see you down there

Krakenn

chinacat46
08-03-2007, 11:12
I really enjoyed Truk even though I'm not that much into wrecks. Was amazing diving and the guides really knew the wrecks. I dove with Aggressor which is no longer there. If I had to stay on land I'd probably go someplace Truk is the pit of Micronesia. Makes Yap look like a paradise.

deepdiver47
08-03-2007, 17:10
easy, I like Yap. It is small and quiet. Been there twice and would go again.

Travelnsj
08-03-2007, 17:15

Have you ever been to Palau?

chinacat46
08-03-2007, 20:25

I never said I didn't like Yap just that Truk makes Yap look like a paradise. But face it the island of Yap is pretty dirty with garbage along the side of the road, etc... If I'm gonna go that far I prefer Palau.

Travelnsj
08-03-2007, 20:30

I never said I didn't like Yap just that Truk makes Yap look like a paradise. But face it the island of Yap is pretty dirty with garbage along the side of the road, etc... If I'm gonna go that far I prefer Palau.

Chuck being I am not doing my annual trek to Palau in March....thinking of Palau and the Philippines in the fall of 2008...and I am hoping Keith with PalauDive will join me....interested?

chinacat46
08-03-2007, 21:00
Yeah that sounds good keep me in the loop. Maybe we could stay at the Truk Stop and do a layover in Yap :-)

deepdiver47
08-03-2007, 22:25
yes I have been to Palau/Sam's Tour. I liked it very much.
The reason why I like Yap is because of Beyond the Reef gives me one-on-one, long Nitrox dives and they are great people. I do plan on going to Palau again, as soon as January(?)

Travelnsj
08-03-2007, 23:15
yes I have been to Palau/Sam's Tour. I liked it very much.
The reason why I like Yap is because of Beyond the Reef gives me one-on-one, long Nitrox dives and they are great people. I do plan on going to Palau again, as soon as January(?)

If you go to Palau again look at PalauDive.com...Keith used to head up Sams diving....I have been diving with him for last last 6 years when he was at Sams and since he left a couple of years ago....He is the finest instructor I have dove with anywhere....no cattle boats with his operation.

Travelnsj
08-03-2007, 23:23
Yeah that sounds good keep me in the loop. Maybe we could stay at the Truk Stop and do a layover in Yap :-)

My thoughts are going in late Sept or October....that is when the weather generally clears up in Palau....spend a week there....then to the Philippines for another week....Last year Mid Oct thru early Dec the Philippines had some bad luck with Typhoons...I'll check out the weather a little more with Keith.....But if you did want to do a layover in Truk and Yap...we could just spend our time at the airports get underwater DVD's and watch the action in those wonderful lounges:smiley5:...LOL

kqhouston
08-06-2007, 21:17
I did Chuuk and Pohnpei in 05 and Chuuk/Yap last January.....Truk Stop is fine, but NOT fancy. Kiki and her family run it and the travel agency next door....good people and divers go to bed early anyway so nightlife not such a big dea.

Blue Lagoon grounds were much nicer, and the family of the "father of Chuuk wreck diving" still manages it.

There is NOTHING in Chuuk but diving. You can OD on wrecks, but don't pass up Shark Island (you may have to ask for it). Best shark dive of my life, I went back for more! We found that our divemasters would take us to any wreck we wanted, but don't miss the Fujikawa and the Shinkoku. Do Nippo early, as it is deep, if you want to.

I wouldn't pass up hitting another island, either....any of them will do...Pohnpei, Yap, Palau, Kosrae. All are special in their own way.

My experience on Yap was great, and I never saw any of the trash noted by others. We hired a taxi for $50 to drive us around on off gas day to see the little there is to see on land....I am a Micronesia junkie....going back to Paulau liveaboard next year.

deepdiver47
08-08-2007, 07:13
you and me both kqhouston (your from Houston as well). I have business trips that take me out to Taiwan and China and I stop on these places on the way back (25k miles and $9.20 puts me on these islands).

I am seriously considering Chuuk in January.

How did you like Pohnpei? Is there enough diving there for a full week?

Krakenn
08-08-2007, 07:23
Deep trust me there is more than enough diving for a week

Kraks

ScaredSilly
08-08-2007, 12:17
We were in Pohnpei and Chuuk last year. Pohnpei was nice stayed at the Village and dove with them. Spent a week there. Ant Atoll is great diving if you can get there. There are another 10 good sites. Nan Modal is worth a day as is walking up to the top Solki's Rock. Rent a car for a day to see the island on your own.

Chuuk we did the live-a-board thing with Oddessy. They are the only live-a-board business into now that the Thorfinn is being rebuilt:

http://www.stpns.net/view_article.html?articleId=42749775362134952

Though it is my understanding they are using their skiffs in the meantime.

For land based we did do a few dives with Blue Lagoon including Shark Island - a must do. Truk Stop looked nice but it is in town. Blue Lagoon is on some nice grounds (actually the old continential hotel which was built on an anphibious base). If you want to have some fun take some tuna out for the cats on the grounds ;-). Friendly folks. Whatever you do take some videos as there is not much to do on land.

Fox
08-10-2007, 07:38
..anyone heading to truuk later this month? I'm considering booking a trip (toss up between Truk/PNG/Solomon Islands/Vanuatu.)

Krakenn
08-11-2007, 21:59
Hi Fox, it your on the east coast Vanuatu is an economical dive holiday with lots to offer woul dlike to join you but alas Im heading up to Darwin later this month.

Krakenn

09-24-2008, 01:24
I was there about 5 years ago...I would not stay at the Truk Stop...stay at the Blue Lagoon...Truk reminds me of a poor mans Jamacia....unless you are 100% into wrecks....go to Palau....been there 8 times...plenty of wrecks....and the diving is the best overall i've encountered....need any info let me know.

Palau is some sweet diving. I have one there and want more.

09-24-2008, 01:29

Yap is pretty much no where compared to Palau. Nice diving in Palau. Never dove in Yap, but it is not a nice place from the little I have seen.

Zeagle Eagle
11-07-2008, 09:52
You have to dive Chuuck, just because of all the WWll wrecks. Yes, there is nothing to do, yes the island is a garbage heap at least it was in '97 the last time I was there. However the people are wonderful and the diving is incredible. If you are not interested in WWll wrecks then go to Palau, the diving is better and they also have some wrecks not to mention walking the Pelilu battlefield and of course Jelly Fish lake is a world class snorkel. I stayed at the PPR, it was a 5 star back then. I dived with Fish 'n Fins and Sams one sucked and the other was awesome. I think Fish 'n Fins was the awesome one but not sure. Will have to check my log book.

Zeagle Eagle
11-07-2008, 09:53
Went to Yap but got skunked on the Manta Rays. I won't go back there.

Empacher
11-07-2008, 11:36
so, from what I gather, a live aboard would be the best option???

Zeagle Eagle
11-09-2008, 20:56
I dove Chuuck 10 years ago and the shore/boat diving was awesome so the live aboard has to be even better. When I go back it will be a live aboard for sure.

Travelnsj
11-09-2008, 23:30

I stayed at the Blue Lagoon and did 3 to 4 dives a day. If you want to do 4 to 5 dives a day a LOB is the way to go.....but if you are not 100% into wrecks....go to Palau, some of the best diving in the world...plus wrecks!