PDA

View Full Version : Diving Cinema

PlatypusMan
08-02-2007, 21:01
What films have you've seen and enjoyed -- for what ever reason -- that had or featured diving? What was it about the film that appealed to you?

Illini_Fan
08-02-2007, 21:06
Well, this will come across as extremely shallow, but I enjoyed Into the Blue based completely on Jessica Alba

fire diver
08-02-2007, 21:08
Into the Blue -Favorite diving movie
The Deep - the original of into the blue, another great movie.

thor
08-02-2007, 21:21
I know it's cliche but JAWS affected me like no other movie. I know sharks are our friends but I still have a hard time everytime I see a shark, because of jaws

Cichlid
08-02-2007, 21:27
Open Water, my most favoritest movie of all time, even better than Glitter and Gigli. I know those weren't diving movies, but I just used those for reference of how awesome Open Water is.

thor
08-02-2007, 21:33
Open Water, my most favoritest movie of all time, even better than Glitter and Gigli. I know those weren't diving movies, but I just used those for reference of how awesome Open Water is.

I can't believe you didn't mention "Dude, where's my car?"

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 21:35
Open Water, my most favoritest movie of all time

Really? I hated that movie, thought it was awful.

Into the Blue had some great bahama underwater footage, definitely a favorite movie of mine.

The Imax Deep Sea 3D was simply awesome :)

Venio
08-02-2007, 22:40
James Bond - Thunderball. The best scuba fight scene!

:anim_shotgun: :smiley_scuba::anim_sniper:

Cichlid
08-02-2007, 22:49

I can't believe you didn't mention "Dude, where's my car?"

Because that movie really is good!

WaterRat
08-02-2007, 23:02
Into The Blue is my wifes favorite. I like it to. Finding a wreck like that is every divers dream.

Ron

94GTStang
08-03-2007, 00:41
Open Water, my most favoritest movie of all time

Really? I hated that movie, thought it was awful.

He is purely joking. The other movies went straight to rental.

Into the Blue is one my most favorite dive movies. Not because of Jessica, but because of that awesome footage

woody
08-03-2007, 04:40
The Cave!

Only for the special at the end of the DVD about the filmming of the cave stuff.

Queen
08-03-2007, 05:16
A movie from 1979 "Ffolkes" with Roger Moore. It had North Sea oil rigs being held hostage, divers doing the commando thing, people getting killed with spear guns... :clap:

Vie
08-03-2007, 06:04
Le Grand Bleu (aka The Big Blue) - my favourite. Even Rosanna Arquette couldn't ruin this classic Luc Besson movie. Great performance by Jean Reno.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095250/

The Deep - Jacqueline Bisset made it a must see...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075925/

The Abyss, of course.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096754/

Have heard so much about Blue Water, White Death but have never seen it.

fire diver
08-03-2007, 09:39
OK, here's one I WANT to see but can't find yet. I don't even remember the exact title. It's something along the lines of "to save a queen" or "rescue a queen". Dang I just remembered. It's "Assault on a Queen". It's not much about divers though.

Plot: German uboat is sunk of the east coast in WW2. Shortly after that, divers find it, patch it and raise it. Then they refit it and use it for high-seas piracy against the QE2.

If you like german subs, this should be a good film. So I have been told by my resident submarine expert. (and I do mean expert)

FD

marineboy
08-05-2007, 18:41
I also liked Open Water,because it was about sharks.

Buoyant1
08-05-2007, 18:56
The Abyss...The Deep...Open Water (only for the gratuitous nude scene) The Sphere...The Life Aquatic hahaha!

I need to get a copy of Das Boot..I hear it's pretty cool!

chinacat46
08-05-2007, 19:01
I saw one I really liked but can't think of the name it stared Cuba Gooding Jr. and Robert De Niro and they were in the Navy. Anybody know the name? I saw it on a liveaboard after diving all day but I really enjoyed it.

Just did the google thing the movie is called: "Men Of Honor" and was made in 2000.

fire diver
08-05-2007, 19:50
Oh! The Life Aquatic. I forgot about that one. It's kind of a love/hate film. I had to watch it few times to really get into it. But it's I really like.

FD

DirtyWaterIL
08-05-2007, 19:59
i don't think ive ever seen a movie focused on diving that iv'e liked. thats sor tof unfortunate too. Although I can't really think of many good plot lines that woul dmake a good diving movie.

dallasdivergirl
08-07-2007, 15:40
Thunderball - I am a bond-aholic

The Big Blue

I refuse to watch the Jessica Alba movie. she needs to stick with movies don't require her to actually act.

TxHockeyGuy
08-07-2007, 17:42
Into the Blue, simply because of Jessica Alba. I guess Illini_Fan and I can be shallow together although I think a few others may have mentioned this reason too.

The Cave, because I finally understand now why people want to dive in caves even though I still think they're nuts. But I might now consider cavern.

The Abyss, just because it was the first movie I saw that was pretty much entirely underwater that was any good.

badfrog88
08-07-2007, 17:57
Into the Blue, The Deep, The Abyss... All good movies. I also liked Men of Honor.

Also, a made-for-TV move "Oceans of Fire", about commercial oil rig divers.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-07-2007, 19:26
James Bond - Thunderball. The best scuba fight scene!

:anim_shotgun: :smiley_scuba::anim_sniper:

Yep it was a really cool movie, nodody can do fight scenes like the old bond movies anymore.

torrey
08-07-2007, 21:44

Glitter and Gigli could be considered diving movies...they'll make you want to hold your head underwater. For me, another vote for The Abyss simply for the idea of breathing liquid oxygen.

torrey
08-07-2007, 21:46

Glitter and Gigli could be considered diving movies...they'll make you want to hold your head underwater. For me, another vote for The Abyss simply for the idea of breathing liquid oxygen...and diving the completely unknown.

foo
08-07-2007, 23:21
Does anyone remember seeing that old movie with Sophia Loren diving with the vintage double hose reg/mask combo? It's called Boy on a Dolphin- can't remember who the leading man was, tho.

PlatypusMan
08-08-2007, 06:32
Does anyone remember seeing that old movie with Sophia Loren diving with the vintage double hose reg/mask combo? It's called Boy on a Dolphin- can't remember who the leading man was, tho.

You mean the one where Sophia Loren stars as Phaedra, a poor sponge diver on the lovely Greek isle of Hydra, who, while diving, discovers an ancient brass and gold stature of a boy riding a dolphin which is said to have the magical power to grant wishes--and her shiftless boyfriend wants to sell it to an unscrupulous art collector (Clifton Webb), but Phaedra wants to give it to anthropologist Jim Calder (Alan Ladd), who would return it to the Greek government?

Never heard of it.

Dive-aholic
08-08-2007, 07:02
The Abyss is my favorite. I just like the story line.

The Cave, because I finally understand now why people want to dive in caves even though I still think they're nuts. But I might now consider cavern.

That movie doesn't even begin to show what cave diving is like. Wes Skiles did some good work with the UW cinematography, but the plot wasn't that great. Even the diving scenes weren't that great. Head over to youtube and search cave diving. That will give you a better idea of what it's about.

cummings66
08-08-2007, 07:05
Not that it's a movie, but it is a classic. The old Flipper tv series.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-08-2007, 07:37
I wonder who would win in a fight flipper or that dolphin from seaquest.

cummings66
08-08-2007, 07:41
Flipper has the experience and a movie under his belt. Proven track record.

Seaquest was a good series until they changes actors.

fire diver
08-08-2007, 09:15

Never saw that one. But it reminds me of another. I think it was called "Shipwreck!" It was an old 40's or 50's movie about a shark fisherman who pulls up spanishs artifacts in his net. Then the treasure hunt is on. Lots of really metro-sexual-ness from the 2 leading actors, and one attractive leading lady. Cheasy, but it had some crude undewater filming, and old-time diving and scuba scenes. Better than nothing on a rainy afternoon or being stuck at work.

FD

foo
08-09-2007, 00:02
You mean the one where Sophia Loren stars as Phaedra, a poor sponge diver on the lovely Greek isle of Hydra, who, while diving, discovers an ancient brass and gold stature of a boy riding a dolphin which is said to have the magical power to grant wishes--and her shiftless boyfriend wants to sell it to an unscrupulous art collector (Clifton Webb), but Phaedra wants to give it to anthropologist Jim Calder (Alan Ladd), who would return it to the Greek government?

Never heard of it.

Uh... yeah. That sounds vaguely familiar...

(Note to self: bone up on old movies so can give a killer review like PlatypusMan)