PDA

View Full Version : Reef Bounces back at Nuclear Test Site

FishFood
04-18-2008, 17:23
Half a century after the atomic blasts that devastated Bikini Atoll, vast expanses of corals in the area seem to be flourishing once again, much to the surprise of scientists.

FOXNews.com - Bikini Atoll's Nuked Coral Reef Bounces Back to Life - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351767,00.html)

Who's up for a dive? :smilie40:

mitsuguy
04-18-2008, 17:59
Actually, I really want to dive there... I need more experience, and will probably get into some deco stuff prior to going, but I definitely want to go - thats gotta be the one place where you can see more wrecks in one place than any other in the world...

Half a century after the atomic blasts that devastated Bikini Atoll, vast expanses of corals in the area seem to be flourishing once again, much to the surprise of scientists.
FOXNews.com - Bikini Atoll's Nuked Coral Reef Bounces Back to Life - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351767,00.html)

comet24
04-18-2008, 18:15
Actually, I really want to dive there... I need more experience, and will probably get into some deco stuff prior to going, but I definitely want to go - thats gotta be the one place where you can see more wrecks in one place than any other in the world...

That's is on my list of places I would really like to dive if the opportunity ever presents itself.

BuzzGA
04-18-2008, 19:01
I have to admit I never really through about diving there but now that I've seen it...it is on the list

Shellback
04-18-2008, 19:29

I am sure that the people would like to get back to the Bikini Atoll and finally get a chance to go home. Quite an operation that Crossroads was ! I too dream of gong to a place like that and spend some serious time checking out all the underwater sites.

Largo
04-18-2008, 20:05
I wonder how they decided on Bikini Atoll for the test site?

"Admiral, if we have to test an A-bomb, can we at least do it someplace nice?"

scubasamurai
04-18-2008, 22:05
you should read carefully into their website. it was on my place to go, but there is really nothing to do there after you 2 dives. it is a very isolated island and getting their is half the fun!. from people i chatted with the dive staff is really hard core and they have a certain set of rules to follow. they only accept certain dive computers and really don't even want to chat with you unless you have a minium of 100 dives. take a good look at their site and go to the cochran computer website. they actually have a response to what the dm said about their computers. interesting thoughts. it is still on my list but it is somewhere on the low side.

frogman159
04-19-2008, 17:28
at least the reef is recovering

cleansweep13
04-20-2008, 19:13
Nature is amasing how it always wants to fight back!

Defman
04-20-2008, 21:22
This reminds me of this cool documentary I saw on TV a few weeks back about how nature is thriving in the Chernoble area. While the animals are definitely radioactive, they don't seem to be suffering any serious side effects and mutations have been very rare.

Largo
04-21-2008, 18:55
Nova did a special on Chernobel. (SP?) The mutations in humans are dramatic. Most of them are dead now.