PDA

View Full Version : Ginger prevents seasickness?

Largo
04-18-2008, 20:10
I have been told that consuming ginger thickens the inner ear fluid, thereby reducing the effect of seasickness.

Any opinions whether this is fact or legend?

Splitlip
04-18-2008, 20:55
Works for me

aggie99
04-18-2008, 21:00
Mythbusters did a test on this, if I remember right it did work.

frogman159
04-18-2008, 21:04
:smilie40::smilie40:

texdiveguy
04-18-2008, 21:06
I like ginger-snap cookies....if I eat a bunch prior to hitting the water will that work?

Xspect
04-18-2008, 21:06

JTMoney
04-18-2008, 21:14
Wait, so redheads don't get seasick?:smilie39:

CompuDude
04-18-2008, 21:27
I have been told that consuming ginger thickens the inner ear fluid, thereby reducing the effect of seasickness.

The fact that ginger can reduce sea sickness for most people has been proven numerous times.

However, the mechanism you cite, of thickening the inner ear fluid, should be viewed with suspicion. I highly doubt that's what does it.

mobeeno
04-18-2008, 22:35
I am going to take my chances and consume more ginger instead of taking seasickness pills. I wonder if ginger soup is just as effective

DevilDiver
04-19-2008, 01:07
Not sure about Ginger...but I always wanted to try Mary Ann.

Grizbear98
04-19-2008, 06:29
everybody was taking it on my trip to Belize, it seemed to work sometimes, as long as you were sick from seasickness and not from drinking the water lol

Smashee
04-19-2008, 07:37
Plenty of scientific evidence out there to show it can reduce nausea and motion sickness. It also helps with morning sickness and other forms of nausea so the mechanism is likely to be gastric rather than CNS/inner ear.
A PubMed search should show research into possible mechanisms if you're really interested but it's likely to be fairly technical.
Mobeeno - ginger juice or soup should be fine. The optimal dose seems to be about 1g ginger root. I'd go for fresh in a smoothie rather than dried or cooked.

(Disclaimer - IANADoctor but I'd love to play one on the telly. House rocks.)

danielh03
04-19-2008, 07:52
lol, according to the news, mary ann keeps something stronger than sea sickness talblets in her purse!!!

mobeeno
04-19-2008, 08:17
:smilie39:

maverick
04-19-2008, 20:14
Do U get ginger at a health food store, or the spice rack. Or fresh or capsuls.

mobeeno
04-19-2008, 20:34
Plenty of scientific evidence out there to show it can reduce nausea and motion sickness. It also helps with morning sickness and other forms of nausea so the mechanism is likely to be gastric rather than CNS/inner ear.
A PubMed search should show research into possible mechanisms if you're really interested but it's likely to be fairly technical.
Mobeeno - ginger juice or soup should be fine. The optimal dose seems to be about 1g ginger root. I'd go for fresh in a smoothie rather than dried or cooked.

(Disclaimer - IANADoctor but I'd love to play one on the telly. House rocks.)
Thank You Smashee.

Largo
04-20-2008, 11:44
I love the ginger that you get at the Sushi bar. Anybody know how that is prepared?

I haven't seen it in the supermarket, so I guess I will ask the Sushi guy where he gets it the next time I have a hankering for raw fish.

Largo
04-20-2008, 11:50
I've never had seasickness, and I think that is because I make a point of eating breakfast before diving, or getting on a boat. But, I understand that it can happen to anyone.

One of my buddies (who had been diving for over ten years) got seasick while on a trip. He had an verbal altercation with the Dive master because the DM was yelling at him, to "Get in the (expletive deleted) water." DMs and boatcaptains need to remember that they are selling fun, and that divers are not an annoyance.

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 11:59
I love the ginger that you get at the Sushi bar. Anybody know how that is prepared?

I haven't seen it in the supermarket, so I guess I will ask the Sushi guy where he gets it the next time I have a hankering for raw fish.
Thats a good idea, I forgot that stuff was ginger. Next time I will eat a lot of that.

JimHar99
04-20-2008, 12:43
Hmmm, now I wonder if my mother was onto something when she gave us ginger ale for an upset stomache when we were kids.

Mtrewyn
04-20-2008, 12:50
I've never had seasickness, and I think that is because I make a point of eating breakfast before diving, or getting on a boat. But, I understand that it can happen to anyone.

One of my buddies (who had been diving for over ten years) got seasick while on a trip. He had an verbal altercation with the Dive master because the DM was yelling at him, to "Get in the (expletive deleted) water." DMs and boatcaptains need to remember that they are selling fun, and that divers are not an annoyance.

once you are in the water the sea-sickness usually goes away, a lot of the time anyway

Largo
04-20-2008, 13:49
I have heard that is the case. However, if a diver gets out to the dive site and chooses not to dive, the DM / Boat Captain should respect the diver's decision. He's already paid for the trip, anyway.

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 14:11
Hmmm, now I wonder if my mother was onto something when she gave us ginger ale for an upset stomache when we were kids.
It helps gas escape the body.

CompuDude
04-20-2008, 16:24

I've seen it in supermarkets, but it costs a lot. Who knew I usually eat like $7 worth of the stuff every time I go for sushi?

It's just thin-sliced pickled ginger, btw.

It would probably work fairly well for helping with sea sickness, but skip the sushi. Raw foods the night before a dive are a bad idea. As I learned the hard way once... had sushi the night before a trip to the oil rigs. There's money I'll never see again... and apparently conditions were fantastic!

Largo
04-20-2008, 16:47
That's a good point. That wasabi is serious.

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 20:39
Anyone heard of ginger gum? Where can you get them

CamaroChick
04-21-2008, 07:19
In the BVIs, the dive boats always had "ginger biscuits" - they're like those ginger cookies they sell around Halloween. They did set the stomach at ease...

Foo2
04-21-2008, 14:35
My husband swears by ginger when he dives or when we go on cruises. You can purchase ginger caplets in the vitamin isle anywhere for pretty cheap...like $2-$5. He takes the caplets and has also purchased ginger snap cookies to eat. If you go the ginger snap cookies route, be sure to look at the ingredients. We looked at every package in Wal-Mart one day and found that the Sam's Choice ginger snaps had more ginger than any of the others. Also, some of them just have ginger flavoring.

I have tried to use ginger myself as well on our last cruise. I was fine, although I don't know if it was because we had relatively mild seas...or if it was the ginger at work. We'll see on our next trip. :)

nashwl
04-21-2008, 14:49
I used Bonine on my recent cruise. We hit some pretty rough waters on the first and last sea days. I was perfectly fine, but my cousin (who was in the Marines on ships for two years) got sick on the first day. I gave him some of my stuff and he was fine on the final day. It works very well.

scubachristo
04-21-2008, 15:07
heres another shout for Bonine.... works GREAT

DollFin
04-21-2008, 15:27

once you are in the water the sea-sickness usually goes away, a lot of the time anyway

I can attest to this, I got a bit woozy on my last dive, but got in and was fine. On the other hand, 3 of the other divers were so far gone that they all opted not to dive and pretty much spent the rest of the trip hanging over the side of the boat.

MicahEW
04-21-2008, 15:52
I like ginger-snap cookies....if I eat a bunch prior to hitting the water will that work?

i like the pickled ginger that you eat with sushi its good.

mobeeno
04-21-2008, 21:08
Do they come in non drowsy?

CompuDude
04-21-2008, 23:53

They're all non-drowsy, although some people are more sensitive than others to it. For the vast majority, it works phenomenally well. For a small handful, it works poorly and they feel drugged.

DollFin
04-22-2008, 00:04

They're all non-drowsy, although some people are more sensitive than others to it. For the vast majority, it works phenomenally well. For a small handful, it works poorly and they feel drugged.

Bonine is supposedly the non-drowsy version of Dramamine.

CompuDude
04-22-2008, 00:21

Bonine is supposedly the non-drowsy version of Dramamine.

Bonine uses the active ingredient Meclizine. Same as "Non-Drowsy Dramamine".

Original Dramamine is a different active ingredient.

NoTime58
04-22-2008, 06:52
I used Bonine on my recent cruise. We hit some pretty rough waters on the first and last sea days. I was perfectly fine, but my cousin (who was in the Marines on ships for two years) got sick on the first day. I gave him some of my stuff and he was fine on the final day. It works very well.

I used it on my last trip to Key West......not because I have a problem with getting sea sickness.....just to prevent it. We had really rough conditions the last day I dove down there and I had no problems.

beperkins
10-16-2008, 12:56
My wife is motion sick prone and she takes the Bonine and it does not make her drowsy at all. On the other hand the Dram. shich has the same qty of the same ingredients makes her drowsy so who knows?

Lj82
10-16-2008, 21:35
I never knew that ginger could prevent seasickness....
Now I know what to feed my girlfriend before we get on a boat!

monant
10-17-2008, 11:18
How much ginger do you have to take or eat or drink for it to work?

gNats
10-17-2008, 14:21
I have been sail racing for years, and although I have only had a few incidents of sea-sickness, I can indeed state that Ginger is the miracle cure for sea-sickness.

There is a trick to using Ginger in my opinion. And, it always helps if you administer the ginger before your stomach has begun to complain too loudly:

1) Sipping Ginger-ale is by far the best and fastest solution. But, you have to sip it and you are not intent on drinking the whole can. Too much liquid is not a good thing.

2) Gingersnaps are best sucked on and dissolved.

3) Ginger cookies should be nibbled slowly and methodically.

4) Avoid pickled ginger at all costs.

5) If you expect to be sick, suck on a sliver of raw ginger root. Your saliva brings the ginger to your tummy without the bulk and weight of drink/food.

And, frankly, if it is that bad, you are better off eating a donut and giving something back to the Gods. Not a pretty topic, but I was on a 36' Tartan (pretty heavy boat) that was being rolled during a late March icy sleet storm on Lake Erie. This was no pleasure cruise, we were moving the boat from point A to point B and had no options. I tried the ginger ale and when that didn't work I just picked the most-calorie laden donut I could and gobbled it down. It didn't stick around long but I felt incredibly better afterwards.:smiley11:

Sorry, that was gross, but if I am feely queezy enough to call it sea-sickness, it is almost always better to just get it over with and stop fighting it.

CompuDude
10-17-2008, 14:29
Ginger root tea (made by cutting a 1" cube (roughly) of real fresh ginger root, putting it in a mug and pouring boiling water over it) is another good way to take in ginger.

obrules15
10-17-2008, 15:28

Can't be the primary way it works because it also works for nausea related to illness and pregnancy which wouldn't be mediated my inner ear/balance/movement issues. According to Food Detectives it slows down stomach contractions and thus prevents nausea. Which makes sense also in terms of onset of effect. Would take much longer to affect inner ear fluid viscosity.

shawnwill36
10-21-2008, 11:20
i was more a mary ann guy myself!!!!

shawnwill36
10-21-2008, 11:21
now that i think about it, after being stuck on that island a while, mrs howe would be looking pretty good!!!

cajunfla
10-22-2008, 04:28
How much ginger do you have to take or eat or drink for it to work?

I recently started taking Ginger Root caplets, 550mg each with food. I take one caplet 2 mornings prior, another the morning prior, and a 3rd the morning of a dive. No problems so far. Gets it into my system early just to prevent seasickness from occuring. I found out I was prone to seasickness :smiley11: 20 miles offshore while racing sailboats in 8--10ft seas in Gulf of Mexico years ago. Not a pleasant night.

shawnwill36
10-22-2008, 10:24
i have been prone to sea sickness, i will have to try it. thanks

tndiverdude
10-23-2008, 10:13
My wife is a holstic and CAM doctor and thats not how it works as we have found in her books. Ginger is a numbing agent to the abdominal walls. Similarr to mezcaline.
Ginger when used in high concetrations acts like a nervene. So it acts liek Dramamine, Bonine, Dimenhydramine.
It breaks the cycle.

jimmy