PDA

View Full Version : Black Bart or Grey Ghost

aprilgoddess1987
04-18-2008, 21:26
i'm going to be in panama city next weekend and was curious which is a better dive

UCFKnightDiver
04-18-2008, 21:31
check out Scuba diving sites and GPS destinations: Wrecks, Coral Reefs, Reviews, Trip Charters. - Dive Spots (http://www.divespots.com) have some sites listed for pcb but I havent dove out of there yet. I have heard alot of dive boats just take you to the black bart though

FishFood
04-18-2008, 21:36
The Grey Ghost is a dive for the more experienced. It's fairly deep, and a good ways off shore. Do you have your own boat? Most dive ops wont go out that far, and the only one that does make regular runs out there (the Dive Locker) just went the week before last, so they probably wont be willing to make another run so soon.(unless there's demand) The Black Bart is a good, and popular dive. Youll enjoy it.

aprilgoddess1987
04-18-2008, 21:49
right after i posted this thread i got a reply from the charter i am using telling me that we would not be going to the grey ghost

FishFood
04-18-2008, 21:50
right after i posted this thread i got a reply from the charter i am using telling me that we would not be going to the grey ghost

Who are you using?

Dive-aholic
04-19-2008, 00:02

That's why I haven't been diving off shore with any of the dive ops. I'm not interested in going to the same tired sites with a bunch of other divers. Hopefully I'll have my motor rebuilt and the boat out on the gulf this summer.

Flfiremedic
05-27-2008, 14:27
Rob,
I'm local in PCB. PM me I'm always looking to dive and will kick in on gas.

Dave

mike_s
05-27-2008, 15:46
i'm going to be in panama city next weekend and was curious which is a better dive

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add some comments for your next trip or anyone else who might be interested.

If you're skilled enough to dive a deeper wreck, then you should jump at diving the Grey Ghost over the Black Bart....

Why? because chances of diving it are much less. You can dive the Black Bart anytime.

The Grey Ghost is a long ways off shore. Around 20 miles (or more) from the pass, so a charter going there is rare. It sits a little deeper than the Bart does also. Compared to the Bart which is I'm guessing about 5 miles off shore and one of the closest wrecks to the pass, it's more popular with charter boat operators and you can dive it anytime.

The Black Bart is prob one of the most dived wrecks by charter operators due to how close it is, decent vis, and it's still in decent shape. the roof of the wheelhouse also offers a good platform for OW students to do their skills on and it's pretty open and easy to penetrate without getting into trouble.

with Diesel fuel being almost $5/gallon, don't expect to see as many offshore trips to places like the Grey Ghost in the future. (in my opinion)