PDA

View Full Version : Beginner/newbie

mobeeno
04-19-2008, 00:34
I have done quite a number dives but I always feel like a beginner when I dive in a new environment. It does not matter how many dives I have done. Does anyone out there feel like that too?

fisheater
04-19-2008, 01:04
Only the smart ones.

navyhmc
04-19-2008, 05:10
I am usually a little nervous when going into a new area. This is indeed a wise precaution. I am usually a lot happoer going with someone who knows the area. There are a few exceptions: Blue Hole, Santa Rosa NM is one. Not a whole lot of things to get you in trouble there. The only bad thing is it's a 4800 feet so you have to adjust your NDL down a little. Having High Alt tables or a computer that will adjust is must.

Some "new to me dives" are safe but unless you know what's there, you'll miss some cool stuff

johnyringo
04-19-2008, 11:17
I have done quite a number dives but I always feel like a beginner when I dive in a new environment. It does not matter how many dives I have done. Does anyone out there feel like that too?

Yup, If it's been awhile since my last dive, or I'm diving a new place or doing a recovery in "bad water" i.e. low viz, strong current, entanglement hazards etc. I'm always a bit apprehensive. Once I get down and get in the groove and on task and find everything is working right I'm fine. I think it's just our natural survival instincts.

Stacio
04-19-2008, 11:22
I live in texas right now but am from New Mexico...Clovis...I cannot wait to get to the BLUE HOLE in Santa Rosa...swam in it many times! Any good pointers or anything you can share with me? Is it dark down there? Do I need a light for sure? Do you know any local divers in Santa Rosa?

Penguino
04-19-2008, 11:48
I think its good you feel this way. This is why the PADI OW course so strongly suggests that you take a guided dive the first time you dive anyplace new

NucMed Man
04-21-2008, 20:35

Just everytime I gear-up and stand at the gate.:smiley20:

jwdizney
04-21-2008, 21:42
WHEW! i'm not the only one! I think maybe the apprehension and concern helps us to be more alert to the dive, equipment, and environment. call it "respect" for the dive!:smiley20:

Penguino
04-21-2008, 21:49
WHEW! i'm not the only one! I think maybe the apprehension and concern helps us to be more alert to the dive, equipment, and environment. call it "respect" for the dive!:smiley20:

Respect is a great way to put it

LCF
04-22-2008, 05:30
Not only do I feel that way, sometimes it turns out I AM essentially a beginner in that environment. Diving high current walls in Indonesia, I was completely unprepared for the upcurrents and downcurrents, and had to learn how to spot where they were likely to occur, and how to be much faster at realizing what was happening and dealing with it before I changed depth much.

Keeping the humility of a beginner keeps me out of trouble most of the time, I think.

obrules15
04-22-2008, 05:45
It's not just new environments, last week, in cozumel the currents were crazy. I have done those dives many times buy never have I dealt with what one of the other divers describe as the "washing machine effect" groups of drift divers were running into each other from different directions. It seemed like the current changed every five minutes. It just goes to show no matter how much you think you know, nature can tell you otherwise. If you approach every dive like a newbie and maintain the respect that all dives deserve you are much safer.

NoTime58
04-22-2008, 07:03
I get a little nervous before making the first dive in a new location.....and I have a tendency to "suck up" my air quicker than I usually do. The last two dives I made were in a strong surge....got a little nervous when I was kicking my legs off trying to stay up with the dive master and couldn't until the surge came from behind me and I shot past him...... that was very "different" dive conditions than what I had been exposed to before.

mobeeno
04-22-2008, 22:46
Not only do I feel that way, sometimes it turns out I AM essentially a beginner in that environment. Diving high current walls in Indonesia, I was completely unprepared for the upcurrents and downcurrents, and had to learn how to spot where they were likely to occur, and how to be much faster at realizing what was happening and dealing with it before I changed depth much.

Keeping the humility of a beginner keeps me out of trouble most of the time, I think.
I know exactly what you mean. It was probably the first dive on that trip right? Btw, which part of Indonesia was this? I really like wall diving.