PDA

View Full Version : BC for the Mrs.

thor
08-02-2007, 22:28
To all the ladies in the house:
Anyone have any suggestions for a BC for my wife. She is very petite and prefers jacket style, but is looking at something light to travel with

YellowfinKunkfish
08-02-2007, 22:34
It's not a jacket style, but I LOVE my Zeagle Zena. They come in small sizes, and would travel nicely. Have her try one on, or better yet try it in the pool!

dallasdivergirl
08-02-2007, 22:47
i got an xs brigade & i love it. i am pretty short in the torso for my height and it fits well.

medic001918
08-02-2007, 23:23
Maybe a BP/W. I know there are manufacturer's that make them in different sizes. And the harness is infinitely adjustable. You'd have to pry my fiance's from her dead, cold fingers.

Shane

Judestudio
08-03-2007, 08:31
To all the ladies in the house:
Anyone have any suggestions for a BC for my wife. She is very petite and prefers jacket style, but is looking at something light to travel with
My sister and I are also petite (both 5'2" tall), we've gone through the same agony to try and find a BC that fits our short torso. If she really wanted a jacket style, have a look at the Mares Kaila (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=KailaBC), it comes in sizes from XS, which fits heights between 4'8" to 5'4".

The previous posts mentioned Zeagle Zena and Brigade, they're both back inflate BC, which I personally like more as well. If she doesn't mind a back inflate in oppose to a jacket one, the Zeagle range is worth a look, very reasonably priced yet top quality and great customer services. My sister got a Zeagle Lazer and loved it.

Good luck searching.

Zenagirl
08-03-2007, 09:03
I love my Zena!! :D Keep in mind that Zeagles are modular in design, so you can literally get a custom fit, which can make a huge difference for some folks. The Zena weighs only about 4 pounds and folds down to nearly nothing to pack for travel.

My recommendation for you wife is to try on as many different types of BCs as possible to see what fits best and what she likes. That includes ones marketed for both men and women.

My husband has always dove a jacket style BC until this year when he finally tried on a Zeagle Ranger. He couldn't believe how much freer he felt not having all that bulk under his arms. He sold his jacket BC on ebay and bought a Ranger LTD (Thanks Joe!).

I believe that it's easier to trim out in a back inflate and for anyone concerned about being pushed onto their face at the surface, simply don't inflate your wing all the way.

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 09:35
If you wanted to look at the BP/W option, DSS has a small stainless plate that weighs 3.8 pounds and is made for women 5'3" and under. That plate with an 18# travel wing would make a nice BC for a small frame.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1

Ron

JodiBB
08-03-2007, 10:19
I'll 3rd the Zeagle Zena! I love mine as well. You say your wife want's a jacket style, well, have her try this back-inflate. The corset-like construction gives me SO much back support when donning that AL80 or Steel tank!

And the flexibility of the pieces makes this a great BC. When I tried it on initially, I got all parts as a medium, but I found that at depth, the BC was still too big....in most cases, you'd be SOL, but I called Scubatoys and they swapped out the front panel to a small for me!

Now the BC fits me beautifully!

Have your wife try one of these and she won't look back. They're also great for packing and traveling with.

thor
08-03-2007, 11:47
People, People.

Thanks for the suggestions, and she has tried back inflate and hated it. (I know, I know) She just wants a regular old jacket style, so no more BP/W suggestions. Thanks all.

ScottZeagle
08-03-2007, 12:02
People, People.

Thanks for the suggestions, and she has tried back inflate and hated it. (I know, I know) She just wants a regular old jacket style, so no more BP/W suggestions. Thanks all.

Thor...

Do you know what she hated about it? Did the BC fit properly?

Just curious.

Scott

thor
08-03-2007, 12:41
She couldn't get the balance right on the surface and face planted, several times. It really freaked her out. Many people tried to help her with this to no avail. She has convinced herself that she can only use a jacket style. Whatever makes you comfortable i guess.

Zenagirl
08-03-2007, 14:04
If she's uncomfortable with a back inflate and wants a jacket style, check into the Seaquest Diva. It's a very popular and well-loved jacket style BC that many women use and swear by. I've heard good things about the Mares Kaila (as JudeStudio suggested) as well. Oceanic came out with the Hera in the past couple of years, so that might be worth checking into.

You just might have to do some serious shopping and trying on to find the perfect fit.

thor
08-03-2007, 18:26
Thanks everybody.

So I asked one of my LDS about the Mares Kaila and they said that they don't recommend Mares BCs anymore b/c they feel the quality of their BCs is not as good as it used to be, and that it will fall apart on my wife. I have never had problems with Mares and think they make quite good and durable products. Anyone ever hear of this related to Mares BCs? If it is not true, as I suspect it is not, I will never use this LDS again.

JodiBB
08-03-2007, 18:38
thor...sorry to hear your wife had problems with the back-inflate. Oh well...Cest la Vie!

I agree with the recommendation for the Seaquest. I've tried it a couple of times and it's very sturdy, easy to use and weight-integrated. Very dependable.

medic001918
08-03-2007, 19:02
Thanks everybody.

So I asked one of my LDS about the Mares Kaila and they said that they don't recommend Mares BCs anymore b/c they feel the quality of their BCs is not as good as it used to be, and that it will fall apart on my wife. I have never had problems with Mares and think they make quite good and durable products. Anyone ever hear of this related to Mares BCs? If it is not true, as I suspect it is not, I will never use this LDS again.

I'd be hesitant to take the recommendation of a shop that's "bashing" another brand of gear. While I've never had a quality issue with any Mares product, there may be better made brands out there. But to pitch it on the negative to Mares is an unacceptable sales tactic. I want to know why your product is superior than what I'm looking at, not why the product I'm looking at is inferior to your product. If you can do that, you stand a good chance of getting my business.

I've never heard scubatoys speak negatively about any product. Only offer selling points to their products.

Shane

ertechsg
08-03-2007, 19:08
My wife hates back inflate too. She ended up with the ISLA (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Isla) she doesn't like chest straps that are low and nor does she like the zip up on the zena but the isla's strap sets high on her.

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 23:35
Yes, the Isla is a pretty popular for women in our shop that want the jacket style. If you get it narrowed down to one or two, there is never a problem with me shipping out 2 bc's and you send back the one you don't like. We've done that many a time!

medic001918
08-04-2007, 01:17
That's a great offer from Scubatoys. The benefits of the local shop with all ST has to offer.

Shane

WaterRat
08-04-2007, 01:37
Hard to beat that offer.

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 09:44
If she's uncomfortable with a back inflate and wants a jacket style, check into the Seaquest Diva. It's a very popular and well-loved jacket style BC that many women use and swear by. I've heard good things about the Mares Kaila (as JudeStudio suggested) as well. Oceanic came out with the Hera in the past couple of years, so that might be worth checking into.

You just might have to do some serious shopping and trying on to find the perfect fit.
Do your best to try any BC first. I have heard of problems for instance with the Diva. There are 2 versions. The more sophisticated one (can't remember the designation) is kind of a Hybrid with a rear cell and wrap around cell, is the one which reportedly traps air. I was considering one for my teen aged daughter and studied it. Kind of like the magic bullet, it looked like it would take a magic bubble to migrate from the side panels to the dumps.
We are now fewer than 3 months from DEMA. If you have the time, you may want to see what new releases the manufacturers are putting out.

Zenagirl
08-04-2007, 14:51
Gee, I knew I hated my Diva and got rid of it for a reason!! Actually, I hated it mostly because I felt like I was a stuffed turkey while diving...WAAAAAY too much padding around the body for me.

thor
08-04-2007, 21:29
Yes, the Isla is a pretty popular for women in our shop that want the jacket style. If you get it narrowed down to one or two, there is never a problem with me shipping out 2 bc's and you send back the one you don't like. We've done that many a time!

Thanks Larry, I will probably take you up on that offer. It will be forever before I can convincce the Mrs. to take the time to go to several LDSs to fit a BC. Your way is much more convenient. I'll be in touch

Disneymom
08-06-2007, 15:35
What about the Genesis Athena? I tried the Athena and the Sherwood Luna on over the weekend at a LDS and it was really comfortable with a lot of range of motion. Course I haven't dived in it, but so far I liked what I felt.