PDA

View Full Version : New to Night Diving - What Light or Set to Buy?

JipThePeople
08-02-2007, 21:55
In live in the Dallas area and buy 99% of my gear from ST. I am in the August AOW class and will be purchasing lights for my night dive. I am not sure if I will do a lot of night dives after the class but I do a decent amount of local diving so I am not a vacation diver only. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 22:14
I have a UK Light cannon 10w HID light, and it is a great HID light at a decent price. I bought my wife a Princeton Tec Shockwave LED and that one's great too. Both quality lights and I'd recommend them to anybody.

Of course if you want to go all out, the dive rite canister lights are sweet! (course they better be for the price! ;) )

medic001918
08-02-2007, 22:19
You can always keep an eye out for a used canister lights. I've seen the 10W ones going for not much more than a light cannon. Just a thought. Otherwise, the light cannon is not a bad option. I'm sure scubatoys could recommend a light for you since they're familiar with the areas that you dive.

Shane

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 23:11
Light Cannon is probably the best all-around option, especially for the money, IMO, but I'm not familiar with what local conditions require. Also depends on where your diving will be leading you. If you have technical aspirations, a canister light should be higher on your list. If you don't need or want the light output of the light cannon, and you don't have technical aspirations, a nice LED-based primary should be high on your list.

thesmoothdome
08-02-2007, 23:54
I've got the same as Wolfie. If budget is a concern, there's nothing wrong with the PT Shockwave LED. Good light in every way. If you want to spend a bit more, than a HID is great investment.

Krakenn
08-03-2007, 00:04
Well I have a Niterider Pro, I like it I wish it was brighter some times but overall it is the best combination of price/battery for me.

http://www.niteriderdive.com/

If you want brighter you just keep paying for better equipment which these guys have. I had a delivery problem once and Henry (Bit like Joe i think) who does all the work for these guys would have to have been one of the nicest blokes I have ever dealt with. So I recommend them for a look.

I like having the dual globes and the battery pack that easily fits onto your tank strap. It also can convert into a 14w handheld torch if you prefer with an upgrade kit.

Krakenn

torrey
08-03-2007, 08:32
I've got a UK D4, and it's not bad...but I usually pass that off to somebody who needs a light and use my Ikelite PCa Lite (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PcaLight) and UK Mini Q40 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40minieLed) (not eLed) more than anything, even at home. They're alot easier to deal with when taking pictures and they give off a tremendous amount of light for their size.

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 09:17
I bought a pistol grip UK C8 eLED and regret it. Not cuz it's a bad light, but I've found that, over time, I prefer the conventional cylindrical handheld to the pistol grip. Also, in pictures, it looks like I'm clocking a fish's speed with a radar. :)

If I had to do again, I'd probably get the OMS LED Vega, or save up and splurge on the Dive Rite HID. I'd lie, but there is no canister in my future. Unless I can convince the wife to go for cave cert...

ertechsg
08-03-2007, 09:32
I'm in the same class. Not going to be to much night diving around here, and trips they weigh too much to take. Thought I'LL buy my back up(cheap) and rent my primary. Might never own a prim light unless i win it.

tbush
08-03-2007, 10:03
I have a pistol grip Britelight 5000. It works well enouph but a little to bulky for my taste.