PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

frogman159
04-20-2008, 17:11
I've got a 7mm jumpsuit and plan on diving 55-60 degree water. I'd like to add a hooded vest.
1. Do you put the hooded vest under the suit or outside which is best for warmth?
2. Would this setup be warm enough generally for these temps? I know temp tolerance varries between people, but generally.

I was looking at the Pinacle lined 3mm

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 17:51
I've got a 7mm jumpsuit and plan on diving 55-60 degree water. I'd like to add a hooded vest.
1. Do you put the hooded vest under the suit or outside which is best for warmth?
2. Would this setup be warm enough generally for these temps? I know temp tolerance varries between people, but generally.

If it has an effective neckseal, I would put the hooded vest outside your wetsuit. But then try it out both ways and let us know. I have seen people do it either way.

reactive
04-20-2008, 17:54
When I dove vortex springs, every single person I saw there that had a hooded vest, wore it on the inside. Coulda been a fluke though.

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 18:04
When I dove vortex springs, every single person I saw there that had a hooded vest, wore it on the inside. Coulda been a fluke though.
W:smiley2:uld also consider which wetsuit logo looks nicer on the outside eh?

ChrisA
04-20-2008, 18:58

OUr local watr is 55-60 in the summer. (Currently it is 50F at depth.)

I put the vest inside. the goal is to reduce water flushing through the suit. Water comes in at the edges, that is wrists, neck and so on. Placing the vest under reduces the amount of "edge" exposed Almost everyone does OK with a hooded vest and 7mm suit in 55F water. But do buy one of those knee length dive parkas. Put it one over the suit between dives. Makes a world of difference if you are out on a boat all day. If you dive a 7mm in 55F you really do need to get warm between dives.

I think one brand is as good as another as long as it fits. That is the one disadvantage of the hooded vest. it need to fit two places. Some people can never find one that fits in the chest and the head so they have to go with the standard hood. I own two hoods and two hooded vests. The standard hoods are better (warmer) hoods but the hooded vest is over all warmer.

About the only reason to put the vest on the outside is if it is to big. Going over a 7mm suit gains almost one full size.

frogman159
04-20-2008, 19:07
I was concerned cause a 7mm farmer john was recomended by my instruction which puts 14mm at the core.

The 7mm jumpsuit fits perfectly, adding a 3mm hooded vest only gives me 10 at the core and I was concerned I may miss the 4mm.

But then again, aren't jumps generally warmer cause they fit better than a FJ?

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 22:37
I was concerned cause a 7mm farmer john was recomended by my instruction which puts 14mm at the core.

The 7mm jumpsuit fits perfectly, adding a 3mm hooded vest only gives me 10 at the core and I was concerned I may miss the 4mm.

10mm would be better than my one piece 7mm with a hood attached. I do use it regularly in Monterey (49-53 degrees)

Penguino
04-21-2008, 00:06
You are probably not going to want to go any less than 7mil. I dove a 60 degree lake with a full 7 mil and a hood. It was only cold if I wasn't moving and then right towards the end

CODMAN
04-21-2008, 07:37
I've got a BARE arctic fullsuit and hooded vest (7mm+7mm=14mm) and although I can dive 60F water with the 7mm full, I am much more comfortable (nice and toasty) with the 14mm. The kit is designed so you wear the fullsuit underneath, and the hooded vest/jumpsuit over the fullsuit. It works great! And they sell the hooded vests/jumpsuits separately. That might be an option to check out!

Hope this helps!:smiley20:

frogman159
04-21-2008, 16:12
[quote=CODMAN;160400]I've got a BARE arctic fullsuit and hooded vest (7mm+7mm=14mm) and although I can dive 60F water with the 7mm full, I am much more comfortable (nice and toasty) with the 14mm. The kit is designed so you wear the fullsuit underneath, and the hooded vest/jumpsuit over the fullsuit. It works great! And they sell the hooded vests/jumpsuits separately. That might be an option to check out!

Hope this helps!:smiley20:

Is the Bare made differently from any other type fo vest?

SkuaSeptember
04-21-2008, 18:04
I'm not a big fan of attached hoods and would be more inclined to go with this under the fullsuit. No extra zippers and full core protection.
http://scubatoys.com/store/wetsuits/pics/pinnacle/TorsoHeater.jpg (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PinnacleTorsoHeater)Pinnacle Torso Heater, Wetsuits: Men, Pinnacle Wetsuits, Pinnacle Torso Heater (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PinnacleTorsoHeater)

JediShack
04-21-2008, 20:24
I've been looking into getting a 7mm fullsuit and hooded vest for diving here in California myself. I'm going with this one from AquaFlite Custom Semi-Dry Wetsuits with Wrist Seals and Ankle Seals. (http://www.aquaflite.com/semidry.html) $350 for a custom fit seems a fair price to me, plus I get a 10% military discount :smiley20:.

frogman159
04-22-2008, 07:15
That core warmer was exactly what I was looking at, it comes with or without a hood.

quarkuud
04-23-2008, 14:41
If you're looking at this for your open water checkout dives, you might be a bit cold because there's so much time spent sitting still doing your skills and waiting for other people to do their skills. But after that, 10/7 should be fine, so if you're planning on doing more diving around the area, that would be what I would go for.

And that Pinnacle core warmer is awesome. Easy to get on and warm!

frogman159
04-23-2008, 18:05
If you're looking at this for your open water checkout dives, you might be a bit cold because there's so much time spent sitting still doing your skills and waiting for other people to do their skills. But after that, 10/7 should be fine, so if you're planning on doing more diving around the area, that would be what I would go for.

And that Pinnacle core warmer is awesome. Easy to get on and warm!

This definitly helps, I'm certainly planning on diving a lot in the area and the water will always be cold.

CODMAN
04-24-2008, 06:49
[quote=CODMAN;160400]

Is the Bare made differently from any other type fo vest?

Not really. They use a material the claim is more stretchy... But that's more marketting hype in my oppinion...

But their suits are very well made and durable (at least so far for me so far; I've got 115 dives on my 3mm fullsuit). Top notch quality and stitching. Plus, their prices are very reasonable in my oppinion when compared to some of the more "popular" brands...
Have a look at them here
BARE Scuba Diving - USA (http://barescubadiving.com/usa/wetsuits/coldwater-wetsuits/arctic/7mm-arctic-hooded-over-vest.asp)
They even have a 5mm version in the velocity line...

The design is classy (no fluorescence:smilie39:) and won't go out of style. Plus, I believe scubatoys deals Bare...

Hope this helps!

No Misses
04-24-2008, 08:24
This winter I added a 7 mil hooded core warmer to my 3 mil farmer john. Since my farmer is sized correctly for me, I chose to put the 7 mil core warmer over it. There is not enough room inside of my FJ to add a 7 mil under it. The core warmer that I bought is one size bigger than I would normally wear (it has to fit over my farmer).

The coldest water that I hit was 55 F. I was glad to have the extra warmth.

BTW: I got the Bare 7mm Arctic over-vest. It is made to go over a jump suit.
BARE Scuba Diving - USA (http://barescubadiving.com/usa/wetsuits/coldwater-wetsuits/arctic/7mm-arctic-hooded-over-vest.asp)

frogman159
04-24-2008, 09:12
BTW: I got the Bare 7mm Arctic over-vest. It is made to go over a jump suit.

I actually ran into this artic vest last night. This seems like a better option than the 3mm under...I think I'd rather go 7mm over and this covers the legs as well, another source of heatloss.

This would get me 14/7 same as a FJ.

DollFin
04-24-2008, 11:29
I've dove 55* with a 5mm farmer jane and a lycra "hotskin" underneath, so 10+mm on my core and I was fine

Largo
04-24-2008, 12:32

I think that if you put the hooded vest on the outside of the wetsuit, it would be very difficult to remove later. It might be too tight around the neck that way, since the vest would be squeezing on the neck seal of the wetsuit.

frogman159
04-24-2008, 20:38
I think that if you put the hooded vest on the outside of the wetsuit, it would be very difficult to remove later. It might be too tight around the neck that way, since the vest would be squeezing on the neck seal of the wetsuit.[/quote]

Good point, I think I'm sold on that BARE vest, It zips in the front so it should be easy getting in and out

wolfen42
04-28-2008, 22:00
I just received my Bare Arctic wetsuit and vest from Scubatoys today. Fits great and I'm really looking forward to trying it out at the quarry. :)

Scubatoys price for the combo is really great! Especially with the 10% forum discount. Keep in mind that it might end up dropshipped from Bare so you might want to plan for a few extra days of shipping.

Actually I'm planning on calling them (scubatoys) tomorrow and seeing if I can get just the vest part for my wife. (since she already has a 7mil wetsuit)