PDA

View Full Version : Tank o rings

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 22:12
How often do you have to change them.

cummings66
04-20-2008, 22:33
One dive shop I know doesn't change them unless it's got some wear and tear on it.

In my PSI course they suggested we change them every time we do a visual inspection on them. They don't cost much so it's not a big deal to change them.

I've got 10 of them for myself, the ones compatible with Nitrox. I'm changing mine because I don't know for 100% what's on my cylinders. They're supposed to be compatible with Nitrox, and they haven't lit up yet, but I'm going to change them out when I do my visuals this week.

Penguino
04-21-2008, 00:10
Is there a benefit to changing them before they show wear? (Unless you need to change to Nitrox ones, of course)

terrillja
04-21-2008, 00:20
Is there a benefit to changing them before they show wear? (Unless you need to change to Nitrox ones, of course)
Well a new one is a buck or two. Sure would suck to have it go during a charter that cost a lot. I look at it as cheap insurance. I have them changed once a yr during vis.

reactive
04-21-2008, 10:15
The very first time I got in the water with scuba equipment, the oring on the tank blew and it scared me so bad, I used what you would call a "squid defense" I haven't replaced a tank oring since, but I do give a visual inspection before attaching the regulators.

texdiveguy
04-21-2008, 10:23
I change mine during each annual visual inspection...$1.00 each.

DollFin
04-21-2008, 10:24
The very first time I got in the water with scuba equipment, the oring on the tank blew and it scared me so bad, I used what you would call a "squid defense" I haven't replaced a tank oring since, but I do give a visual inspection before attaching the regulators.

YouTube - Finding Nemo: Ink scene! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CSU83KfjcWE)

reactive
04-21-2008, 10:48
That pretty much sums it up.

cummings66
04-21-2008, 21:04
I do give a visual inspection before attaching the regulators.

We may be talking different O rings here. I was talking about the Valve O ring because I don't have an O ring on the outside of the valve since I use DIN, it's on my regulator. I was thinking tank O ring means the one at the seat.

When it came to the Yoke stuff, well, I used to replace those about once a year as well, but not during vis since it was something I could do.

mobeeno
04-21-2008, 21:15

We may be talking different O rings here. I was talking about the Valve O ring because I don't have an O ring on the outside of the valve since I use DIN, it's on my regulator. I was thinking tank O ring means the one at the seat.

When it came to the Yoke stuff, well, I used to replace those about once a year as well, but not during vis since it was something I could do.
The good thing now we have answers/opinion for both o rings

EuphoriaII
04-22-2008, 13:53
I had an oring go on me at the surface in my OW class in the pool.
I always carry spares in my save a dive kit

awap
04-22-2008, 14:21

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate." Gunfire.....

To me a "tank o-ring" is the o-ring that seals the valve to tank connection. They are normally changed with each vis or when a leak occurs. For most tanks they are a 2-214 and cost less than $.25 even in fairly small quantities.

Then there is the valve o-ring that seals the first stage to tank valve connection. On yoke valves it is usually a 2-014, costs less than $.10, and is probably only changed when there is a problem. Din connectors and some yoke valves use a "thick" o-ring, a 2-112. Again costs less than $.10 and changed when there is a problem (includes might seal but is just too ugly to use again).

Every diver should carry spare valve o-rings. I loop a couple on each string that holds the tank cap and stash others in various handy places. I also carry spare tank o-rings as I often travel with a pony.

frogman159
04-22-2008, 14:44
I had an oring go on me at the surface in my OW class in the pool.
I always carry spares in my save a dive kit

Mee Too:smiley20:

CompuDude
04-22-2008, 15:23
Yoke O-rings (in the valve, on the sealing face where you connect your regs) go bad frequently, since they're so exposed. I can't count the number of times I've had to pop them out on rental tanks.

DIN o-rings are on the reg-side, and very rarely need changing. Well, mine have 200 dives over the past 2 years and don't show any signs of needing replacement yet. I take care of my regs, though.

reactive
04-22-2008, 16:36
I have one of these doo-dads on my dive bag:
Scuba Tank Keychain, Accessories: Keychain, ScubaToys, Scuba Tank Keychain (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Scuba_Tank_Keychain)

mobeeno
04-22-2008, 22:09

To me a "tank o-ring" is the o-ring that seals the valve to tank connection. They are normally changed with each vis or when a leak occurs. For most tanks they are a 2-214 and cost less than $.25 even in fairly small quantities.

Then there is the valve o-ring that seals the first stage to tank valve connection. On yoke valves it is usually a 2-014, costs less than $.10, and is probably only changed when there is a problem. Din connectors and some yoke valves use a "thick" o-ring, a 2-112. Again costs less than $.10 and changed when there is a problem (includes might seal but is just too ugly to use again).

Every diver should carry spare valve o-rings. I loop a couple on each string that holds the tank cap and stash others in various handy places. I also carry spare tank o-rings as I often travel with a pony.
Thanks AWAP

terrillja
04-22-2008, 22:17

Any recommended stores to procure said o-rings? For all I know, Lowes could be good, I've never checked though.

aprilgoddess1987
04-22-2008, 23:38
I change mine out about once every couple of months unless there's visible wear and tear

longtailbda
06-07-2008, 15:19
When they show any wear or once a season.

Splitlip
06-07-2008, 17:22
Well a new one is a buck or two. Sure would suck to have it go during a charter that cost a lot. I look at it as cheap insurance. I have them changed once a yr during vis.
A buck or two!
Kudos to the shops I deal with then. I have never in over 25 years paid for an O-ring. Of any kind, shape or size. (Except in rebuild kits)

Jack Hammer
06-08-2008, 16:19
I've had to replace several yoke o-rings on rental tanks. I keep a couple dozen in my save a dive kit. They're pretty inexpensive. If I hear a hiss, i replace them. I did a dive last summer with a guy who didn't want to bother changing his out after we heard the slight hissing. 5 minutes into our dive, the small leak got big and we had to abort from 50', it only took a few minutes for his tank to empty.

I don't think a new one every year on your tanks will break the bank or be a time inconvienience. Why risk it for $.25 and 20 seconds of your time?

Jack

cummings66
06-09-2008, 08:24
When I buy supplies from PSI I order O rings to go along with it, they're not the cheapest place but then again with shipping figured in it's not really any more expensive since I'm ordering from them anyways.

Do not buy the cheap hardware store O rings, they're a problem waiting to happen. I've seen blown O rings both DIN and Yoke from that, they're just not tough enough.

dive10killer
06-09-2008, 08:47
I change mine out once a year unless it is showing signs of wear then maybe twice a year. Usually during the tank Vis.

Vercingetorix
06-09-2008, 19:40
Change them during viz whether they look likke they need changing or not. Cheap insurance. Ask TxHockeyGuy about o-ring blow-out.

scootermcfly
06-10-2008, 19:21
I keep O rings in my save a dive just in case. Its a cheap easy fix that can get you back into the water. So far I have had no trouble, but I figure if I did not have them I would need them.

mrbheagney
09-06-2008, 01:22
Change them out when testing, visual or Hydro - the cost of replacement should be included in the service fee anyhow. Otherwise, change them when they go.