PDA

View Full Version : Snuba

DiveCaptain
08-02-2007, 22:33
Anyone ever done it? I heard that it is one alternative to lobstering if you don't want to put on the B.C. and weights. Your not as free as wearing your actual gear and SCUBA diving but, if your in a small area around 15 to 20 feet in depth would you consider it?

Cichlid
08-02-2007, 23:18
Sweet, something I've done! My wife and I did snuba, sounds dirty, in Maui. Since we weren't certified it was a cool thing to do. I can't imagine doing it though if scuba was an option, kind of restricting.

Venio
08-02-2007, 23:26
I'd rather skip this snuba thing. Sounds disturbing.

94GTStang
08-03-2007, 00:40
Nah... that's for the pod people :D

deepdiver47
08-03-2007, 08:13
yea, for chicks and kids only. Not for real men

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 08:58
Yeah, doesn't look like fun when you can scuba. Probably cool for those in blue water for the first time.

Ron

Queen
08-03-2007, 09:25
If I felt like being less encumbered I think I'd just sling a pony and hop in sans BC. Kinda like Mike Nelson. :D

the gooch
08-03-2007, 09:39
When I was out during mini season there were a lot of people using the third lung (snuba) devices and it seemed like a great way to catch lobster and keep the amount of gear down on the boat.

quarrydiver
08-12-2007, 12:29
seems too much like being on a leash.

picxie
08-12-2007, 14:17
What is snuba? I've heard lots of comments about it but I don't actually know what it is.

Centerius
08-12-2007, 16:44
What is snuba? I've heard lots of comments about it but I don't actually know what it is.

This (http://www.snuba.com/) is snuba. If I had a choice between snuba and scuba, I'd take scuba every time -- I'd feel that snuba is more restricting than my minimal scuba gear.

Splitlip
08-12-2007, 16:52
Sweet, something I've done! My wife and I did snuba, sounds dirty, in Maui. Since we weren't certified it was a cool thing to do. I can't imagine doing it though if scuba was an option, kind of restricting.
What type of instruction did they give you?
Did they teach you about AGE's

nferra2
08-12-2007, 19:00
That just doesn't seem right.

Phestr
08-13-2007, 01:14
Looks pretty cool, especially for a vacation spot. I'm the only diver in my family (wife's scared, kids are too young), but it seems like something they would dig.

picxie
08-13-2007, 03:59

This (http://www.snuba.com/) is snuba. If I had a choice between snuba and scuba, I'd take scuba every time -- I'd feel that snuba is more restricting than my minimal scuba gear.

So you basically swim around with a long hose going up to a surface tank?

Hmmm, I don't think I'd like that either. You wouldn't be able to do nearly as much as you can while Scuba diving. Although it would be a good introduction to being underwater for those who don't Scubadive.

downunder
08-13-2007, 08:26
SNUBA is PERFECT for younger divers (or older ones not comfortable with the water). Here, Austin, then 6 enjoys swimming with the fishies without issues of having a tank on his back.

http://www.thesielergroup.com/austinsnuba.jpg

cgvmer
08-13-2007, 09:06
Just got back from a cruise vacation, took my 9yr old daughter snuba diving, and she loved it. She was ticked off that she couldn't get certified till she is 10, and I thought it was just jealous of her certified brothers, now she has told me that for her 10th birthday she wants a cert class.

BTW: we dove on a shallow reef in St Martin and it was very relaxing the whole time a diver swam alongside monitoring us and the snuba pressure.

downunder
08-15-2007, 10:53
BTW: we dove on a shallow reef in St Martin and it was very relaxing the whole time a diver swam alongside monitoring us and the snuba pressure.

HA! That sounds a lot safer than our experience! In Belize, the "instructions" for my kids were basically in Spanish. They eventually got frustrated and said "Look maaan... brethe in dis here piece and everything be all right!". No diver - just tossed us in. So, I had to stay close to my kids and give them a little more of a lesson on the way out. I tried to bribe the boys to not tell mom what the lessons were like... but that didn't work! Dog house for me for about a week!

cgvmer
08-15-2007, 11:06

HA! That sounds a lot safer than our experience! In Belize, the "instructions" for my kids were basically in Spanish. They eventually got frustrated and said "Look maaan... brethe in dis here piece and everything be all right!". No diver - just tossed us in. So, I had to stay close to my kids and give them a little more of a lesson on the way out. I tried to bribe the boys to not tell mom what the lessons were like... but that didn't work! Dog house for me for about a week!

Well many of us have been with less than satisfactory dive experiences, it sounds like you had a bad SNUBA one.

On the trip to St Martin, there were 12 participants, it was actually to family groups of 6 each. The boat crew had 6 snorkel with a guide, while the other 6 did SNUBA. The SNUBA was being done for my benefit first to get my 9yr old who is too young to dive off my back till she's 10, and my wife who has been stubborn about learning to dive. So the crew took my son's both certied divers one unit, and let me take my daughter, and my wife and neice were on the third. One diver stayed with me and my daughter, the other diver stayed close to my wife's group, and my son's stayed close to them also. Overall it was a relaxed way to introduce my wife to diving and my daughter is a fish so the first thing she said on the boat was "I want a dive class for my birthday in November".

The instruction was done while going to the dive site, with the standard always breath, how to clear a mask, how to come to the surface (use the hose), and when I saw them with the other group they were even more attentive since none of them dove, they kept the 3 groups of 2 together.