PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where the ear drops are?

Panchita
04-21-2008, 10:55
I've found tons of cool stuff, but I can't find the dry ear stuff... :smiley29:

harb99
04-21-2008, 11:06

make your own - equal parts - white vinegar and rubbing alcohol

CC1020
04-21-2008, 11:38

Ah yes... the beloved "Ear Beer"... works great!

reactive
04-21-2008, 11:46
I use "Swim Ear" and it works pretty well. It can be found in any local pharmacy.

texdiveguy
04-21-2008, 11:52

Yep...ditto and use it regularly!

frogman159
04-21-2008, 12:11

I've also heard of adding a few drops of mineral oil to the mix to prevent access drying of skin of the ear canal

CompuDude
04-21-2008, 12:26

I've also heard of adding a few drops of mineral oil to the mix to prevent access drying of skin of the ear canal

Yup, you can, although I haven't needed to.

Note that this "ear beer" mixture is already MUCH gentler on your ears than Swim Ear, which is 95% alcohol.

And ironically, per the studies that have been done, it's really the vinegar that does the most work, rather than the alcohol, which merely assists with the drying. Changing the pH is the important part of preventing ear infections.

Personally, I like to mix my own ear beer, and then put it into a Swim Ear bottle for easy application. :smiley20:

cogrwy
04-21-2008, 12:30
The mystery is solved! I've used the alcohol/vinegar mixture for years, but I never knew it was called "Ear Beer". :smiley32:

texdiveguy
04-21-2008, 12:51

I have heard that adding a few drops of glycerin will also work well for countering the drying effect if thats an issue in your ear canal.

reactive
04-21-2008, 14:21

Note that this "ear beer" mixture is already MUCH gentler on your ears than Swim Ear, which is 95% alcohol.

And ironically, per the studies that have been done, it's really the vinegar that does the most work, rather than the alcohol, which merely assists with the drying. Changing the pH is the important part of preventing ear infections.

Personally, I like to mix my own ear beer, and then put it into a Swim Ear bottle for easy application. :smiley20:

I actually found out about this "ear beer" mixture when I joined these forums. I fully planned on filling my swim ear bottle with it as soon as it was empty (or half empty since its mostly alcohol) instead of wasting the 4 dollar product I already bought. I love these home remedies as I just got finished saying in another post. They save money, and chances are, you already have the ingredients at home!

MicahEW
04-21-2008, 14:44

Ah yes... the beloved "Ear Beer"... works great!

ear beer is the way to go I usually add a bit of baby oil to the mix for make sure things dont get too dry.

jwdizney
04-21-2008, 20:10
Without a doubt, EAR BEER!... cheap and easy.. works great! :smiley20:

Panchita
04-22-2008, 13:03
I was looking for the easy way out, but maybe I should try doing some cooking for a change! While I've got you - does anyone use doc's pro-plugs?

DUnder
04-28-2008, 12:46
I have used ear beer mix as well, all ways works for me.

Scotttyd
05-24-2008, 08:00

it depends on what your problem is, the alcohol simply dries up the water, if you are prone to ear infections the "ear beer" mixture might be better, if not the swim ear - 95% alcohol product works quicker

CompuDude
05-24-2008, 22:59

it depends on what your problem is, the alcohol simply dries up the water, if you are prone to ear infections the "ear beer" mixture might be better, if not the swim ear - 95% alcohol product works quicker

The alcohol displaces the water, severely drying the ear tissues at the same time, and allowing any remaining bacteria to descend deeper into your ear tissues. So you have a dry ear, but the bacteria are now breeding safely inside your ear tissues. This may work fine for a dive or two (or it may not), but repetitive dives over repetitive days will likely be more problematic, as you do more and more damage to the ear lining.

DOWNDEEP73
05-24-2008, 23:02
How about an old fashioned Q-Tip?

matt151617
05-24-2008, 23:31

You're not supposed to put those any deeper than the very outer ear, or you risk rupturing the ear drum. The water is not right on the outside of the ear.

coral cowgirl
05-25-2008, 00:10
Very good info on Swimmer's Ear prevention by Doc Vikingo at this link:

Doc Vikingo's Preventing Swimmer's Ear (http://www.awoosh.com/Doc%20Vikingo's%20Resource%20Page/Preventing_Swimmers_Ear.htm)

DOWNDEEP73
05-25-2008, 09:13

You're not supposed to put those any deeper than the very outer ear, or you risk rupturing the ear drum. The water is not right on the outside of the ear.
That's what they say!
I have been using them for 30+ years without a problem.

Rileybri
05-25-2008, 11:30

That's what they say!

The bigger and more common issue (as I found out the hard way) is pushing and packing excess ear wax deeper into your ear canal. Sure you do get some wax on the applicator but it ends up pushing more wax in than collecting and removing it. Your best bet for "cleaning" your ear is worm water and a small bulb syringe. I have wax issues, so I keep one in the shower and give a few squirts in each ear every few days to keep things clear. It has made a HUGE difference for me.

cheers,

BTD

DOWNDEEP73
05-25-2008, 14:51

That's what they say!

The bigger and more common issue (as I found out the hard way) is pushing and packing excess ear wax deeper into your ear canal. Sure you do get some wax on the applicator but it ends up pushing more wax in than collecting and removing it. Your best bet for "cleaning" your ear is worm water and a small bulb syringe. I have wax issues, so I keep one in the shower and give a few squirts in each ear every few days to keep things clear. It has made a HUGE difference for me.

cheers,

BTD
I use them to help soak up water.....not to clean.

Rileybri
05-25-2008, 16:01
Yes but by the sounds of it you are far smarter than most people out there!

DOWNDEEP73
05-25-2008, 16:06
Yes but by the sounds of it you are far smarter than most people out there!
This may be true.........!

Or not?

bigfishK9
05-25-2008, 20:00
50-50 mix works well.

ReefRatRick
07-09-2008, 19:20
I've had good response using hydrogen proxide, anyone tried it before?

Rick

CompuDude
07-10-2008, 14:38
I've had good response using hydrogen proxide, anyone tried it before?

Rick

It will do the basic job, but it's very drying for your ears. Harsher than it needs to be. The ear beer mix works best, according to most doctors who have weighed in.

bane51031
12-17-2008, 13:47
Ear beer: 50/50 mix works great but, the key is to leave it in each beer for 5 minutes each. This has been used by navy divers for years, personally since I have begun using it I have had no ear infections which have plagued me all my life and was even worse when I first began diving until I started using ear beer, also sinus infections are a thing of the past since I started flushing my sinuses....I use the xheap 3 oz. clear bottles you get at walmart,pharmacies etc. and it works great to flush out a cut as an antiseptic agent but, does sting a bit....

ektess1
12-17-2008, 15:03
I wonder if ear beer would work on my dog. I am tired of paying Vet bills every time he goes swimming. He loves to swim. Get an ear infection each time.

sea princess
12-20-2008, 00:04
Ear beer: 50/50 mix works great but, the key is to leave it in each beer for 5 minutes
in each beer?:smiley2: sorry couldn't resist