PDA

View Full Version : Mask Straps...standard issue or upgrade?

Cichlid
08-02-2007, 23:51
Do you guys use something like the soft straps or just uses the standard? I think I might get the soft strap for my wife for her hair, but not sure if I want/need one.

medic001918
08-03-2007, 07:01
I use a standard mask strap and my fiance uses a standard strap with the neoprene cover.

Shane

deepdiver47
08-03-2007, 07:26
I upgrade for several reasons:

1) The soft straps are more comfortable (much more)
2) They are easier to set in place without ripping the hair out of your head
3) They are more robust, don't have to worry about it snapping.
4) You can use the original as a backup

Zenagirl
08-03-2007, 08:08
My husband doesn't have much hair ;) and when I upgraded him to the neoprene mask strap, he couldn't believe how much more comfortable it really was.

loudgonzo
08-03-2007, 08:12

I would upgrade simply for reason #2 :smiley20:

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 08:43

I would upgrade simply for reason #2 :smiley20:

#2 and #3 are my main reason. They really are superior for the price.

Ron

mwhities
08-03-2007, 08:44

Ditto.

Michael

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 10:16
You guys are forgetting the best reason! You can get one with the ScubaToys logo on it!!

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/masks/pics/maskstrap.jpg

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 12:51

What he said.

Although #2 is not really a concern for me. :smiley36:

I prefer the neoprene straps without buckles, incidentally, although I'll admit they're more of a pain to adjust if you switch between diving with a hood and without frequently. You end up looking silly with little flappy bunny ears sticking out.

No velcro, either... just a simple tri-glide.

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 13:56
I like the tri glide one as well. The velcro ones seem to take all the give out of the neoprene. My son has the one with the buckle (looks like a mini weightbelt buckle) and it tends to get knocked open sometimes.

Ron

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 14:56
It's a $10 upgrade. Just do it.

Now a BP/W...that deserves some in depth discussion.

Illini_Fan
08-03-2007, 15:05
Way to get the BP/W comment into another thread :)

I have the ScubaToys special that Larry posted a picture of and then I have the original that came with my mask in my save-a-dive kit.

TxHockeyGuy
08-03-2007, 15:09
You guys are forgetting the best reason! You can get one with the ScubaToys logo on it!!

I've bought both masks I own from ScubaToys and they installed their slap strap on for free so I've never dove anything else. They certainly work for me and it seems they would be nicer to deal with than the standard strap.

Black-Gorrilla
08-03-2007, 17:13
what?
i bought my mask there and paid for mine (comfy as hell by the way!!)
must be a locals thing!!

thesmoothdome
08-03-2007, 17:36
I always used a slap strap when I had hair. Now, the standard strap works well for me. Sticks to the back of my head perfectly:smiley20:

Centerius
08-03-2007, 18:11
I just use the standard strap. I got a slap strap for free when I got my mask, but I found it just got in the way (since I only have hair that's about 2 inches long).

DirtyWaterIL
08-03-2007, 20:59
i prefer a standard strap, But i have very short hair and normally wear a hood. If you are going to uprade I suggest a neoprene cover rather than a replacement. Ive sen alot of the replacements not work well with certain buckle systems.

texdiveguy
08-03-2007, 21:12
I always use standard issue straps!!

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 21:41
Here are my thoughts.
First, the covers are only as robust as the strap they cover. If you have long hair maybe a good idea.
The ones which replace the existing strap are a good idea becasue they are more robust and will not break. Think spring straps for your mask. (now there is an idea)
I really like the ones with the buckles. However, I wear my hair pretty short. The original straps which come with the mask bond to my head much better.
First time I used one, I back rolled of the boat with one hand holding mask and regulator and the other holding what would have been a weight belt buckle if I had not been wearing a weight integrated BC. (old habits)
The strap slid up the back of my head.

MEL-DC Diver
08-04-2007, 23:47
You guys forgot the number 1 rule of diving - gotta look cool. And no, a bunch of shiny, new expensive gear does not make you look cool. Neither do mask straps that are a bright or neon color (this one really only pertains to men). Keep it simple, do what's comfortable, and stick to black.

Dive-aholic
08-04-2007, 23:53
I used a neoprene mask strap for a while, but had issues with a leaky mask. I went with the regular strap once and the leaking was gone. This may not be an issue for everyone, but I've run into a few divers that have had the issue. Borrow and test drive one before buying it just to make sure.

Splitlip
08-05-2007, 00:16
I used a neoprene mask strap for a while, but had issues with a leaky mask. I went with the regular strap once and the leaking was gone. This may not be an issue for everyone, but I've run into a few divers that have had the issue. Borrow and test drive one before buying it just to make sure.
You know, I had that problem with one of my masks too. I was never sure if it was the strap, but when I removed it, it stopped leaking.

Judestudio
08-05-2007, 00:38
My first mask strap used to pull on my hair too. But now I'm using the Liquidskin mask and the strap uses the same softer silicon they use on the skirt. It's soft and stretchy, quite comfy to wear and doesn't pull on hair very much.

So I'd say, upgrade to the neoprene strap or upgrade to the Liquidskin :smiley36:

Zenagirl
08-05-2007, 07:37
You guys forgot the number 1 rule of diving - gotta look cool. And no, a bunch of shiny, new expensive gear does not make you look cool. Neither do mask straps that are a bright or neon color (this one really only pertains to men). Keep it simple, do what's comfortable, and stick to black.

We're Dork Divers in our house.....don't care about looking cool, just want to be comfortable. ;)

Venio
08-05-2007, 12:45
I got one of the neopren covers (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaskStrapCovers) that ST sells. It works pretty good for me since I have longer hair.

dallasdivergirl
08-05-2007, 16:14
i wonder if this is why my mask worked great in the pool but leaked almost as fast as i could clear it at depth? hmmmm those were some miserable dives.

creggur
08-05-2007, 19:52

Bought my mask from ST and it came with this already on it... The regular one that was in the box with the mask is in my save a dive kit now....Hope I never need it, I definately like the neoprene one!!

Dive-aholic
08-05-2007, 22:15
i wonder if this is why my mask worked great in the pool but leaked almost as fast as i could clear it at depth? hmmmm those were some miserable dives.

Try it without...you may be surprised...

creggur
08-06-2007, 06:49

I think I look cool in my ST mask strap, particularly when lying on my back making my way back to the boat with my mask on my forehead backwards proudly diplaying the ST logo:smiley20:. Really really cool when my wife is next to me in her PINK Zena!!

MEL-DC Diver
08-06-2007, 10:30

I think I look cool in my ST mask strap, particularly when lying on my back making my way back to the boat with my mask on my forehead backwards proudly diplaying the ST logo:smiley20:. Really really cool when my wife is next to me in her PINK Zena!!

I'm onboard with your wife, it's you I worry about! :smiley36:

3rdEye
08-06-2007, 11:40
standard strap here....doesn't bother my shaved head....

CompuDude
08-06-2007, 12:40
My head is shaved, so I really don't need to worry about hair pulling.

I wear a neoprene strap anyway, however... I find it more comfortable, yet more secure... I've seen way too many silicon mask straps break and masks get lost. Not that masks never get lost with neoprene replacement straps (slap straps that cover the silicon are useful only for hair entanglement purposes), but they don't get lost from torn straps.

My strap, actually, goes one step further: It floats. It won't help at depth, as the neoprene is too compressed, but if I ever lose my mask in the surf or during an entry from a boat, there is an actual chance I will be able to recover it.

Note to ScubaToys: Carry these so I don't have to buy them from LP!

http://www.marsoop.com/skighold.htm

http://kalani.net/scuba/divegear/Marsoops.JPG

Zenagirl
08-06-2007, 15:26
Hey Creggur, you're simply going to have to post a picture of your wife's pink Zena.

I'm rather jealous as I have the standard blue one and had I known I could get a different color I would have. Maybe if I lose some weight and have to get a smaller front panel I could get Scott to make me one in Red!! :D

Splitlip
08-06-2007, 20:12
Hey Creggur, you're simply going to have to post a picture of your wife's pink Zena.

That's not even legal is it?:yikes:

Coaster
08-06-2007, 20:25
Way to get the BP/W comment into another thread :)

I have the ScubaToys special that Larry posted a picture of and then I have the original that came with my mask in my save-a-dive kit.

Same for me.

Coaster
08-06-2007, 21:37
I always use standard issue straps!!

I use "standard" issue now that I use Liquidskin. :smiley20: It works!

My other mask would still be in the surf after I dropped it. It was simple to find it though. I found it only because it has a colorful neoprene strap.

turtle_guy
08-10-2007, 00:01
i guess i cheated my oceanic mako came with a nylon and neoprene strap standard so i use standard but also the upgrade