PDA

View Full Version : Couch to 5K

Foo2
04-21-2008, 15:05
Two of my friends and I started the Couch to 5k (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) program today. :smiley20: It was crazy hard work. I haven't done any kind of running in years! We got to the track at 6:15AM to get started and realized that we forgot the instructions to todays work out. :smiley9: Dumb girl mistake. So we were working off of memory. We were pretty sure that it was 90secs then 60secs for 20 mins....but we couldn't remember what order. So we decided to run for 90secs and then walk 60secs. Just FYI...we had it backwards. We'll do it the right way on Wednesday.

My legs feel like jello and I'm pretty sure I might have left a lung or two on the track. Over all I'm glad that I've started and am on the road to a healthier body. I'll keep y'all posted!

Bigg_Budd
04-21-2008, 15:32
I'm a big dude and hate to run, but I did this about 4 years ago, and eventually was running 10ks. It really works....

(looks down at belly)

Well, looks like I need to start again. :)

reactive
04-21-2008, 15:35
Good luck Foo! I admire your will power! God knows I don't have it.

frogman159
04-21-2008, 16:02
Stick with it, you'll nail that 5k in no time

torrey
04-21-2008, 16:10
I re-start today!

Mtrewyn
04-21-2008, 18:29
I picked up to 5K real fast, and got to 7mi 6days a week after about 3 months, now I'm working on my pace, I'm hoping to be about 3 mi at a pace of around 7-8 minute mi. Last summer we ran like clock work at 9 minute mile for all 7 miles.

You'll get there quick keep it up you'll get it!!!

scubasamurai
04-21-2008, 18:48
stick with it, most people get "tired" of the regiem after 2 months or so. but good luck and enjoy the benefits

USF_Diver
04-21-2008, 20:47
Iv wanted to get into 5k shape, this sounds like a good program.
thanks for posting

harb99
04-21-2008, 20:59
interesting - wish I did not have a bum ankle or I might try it - guess I'll just stick to my cardio and weight for the time being

Foo2
04-22-2008, 09:51
Iv wanted to get into 5k shape, this sounds like a good program.
thanks for posting

I can't take the credit. Torrey is the one who started it. I just jumped on the band wagon.:smiley20:

Foo2
04-22-2008, 10:15
interesting - wish I did not have a bum ankle or I might try it - guess I'll just stick to my cardio and weight for the time being

I know what you mean. I have a bum knee! I'm wearing my brace and am considering taking a supplement my chiropractor recommended. We'll see. I made sure and iced it last night to keep the swelling down. I have chondromalacia patella....long word for cartilage issue. Sucks to be me on this. Unfortunately it's just something I'll have to live with. I'll just have to make sure and keep a close eye on it.

I don't know anything about your ankle injury, but maybe you could start off slowly with walking and build up your muscles to support your ankle. Just an idea.

No Misses
04-22-2008, 11:11
Wow, I feel lazy. I am thinking of hiring "some goon" to whack me in the knee with a tire iron, so that I will have a good excuse not to start this.

It was easier to stay motivated when I had a drill instructor calling anybody that dropped out of a run a USELESS MAGGOT. Those guys really knew how to form a sentence out of a string of profanities. For the life of me, I cannot recall a single saying, that is not too graphic to post here.

Stuff like; "The best part of you ran down $*& M*^!@$ $#*@ and ended up as a stain *^ #& @*^#" :smilie39:

Sometimes you couldn't help yourself. I did a lot of pushups, for cracking up when they were going off on me or someone else.

If you don't know what I mean, go watch the movie "Full Metal Jacket".

harb99
04-22-2008, 11:17

I know what you mean. I have a bum knee! I'm wearing my brace and am considering taking a supplement my chiropractor recommended. We'll see. I made sure and iced it last night to keep the swelling down. I have chondromalacia patella....long word for cartilage issue. Sucks to be me on this. Unfortunately it's just something I'll have to live with. I'll just have to make sure and keep a close eye on it.

I don't know anything about your ankle injury, but maybe you could start off slowly with walking and build up your muscles to support your ankle. Just an idea.

it has not been quite right since a very serious sprain that occurred during a high-side riding my old race bike - since that time, not sure if it was from favoring it or not, but I have not been able to hardly jog / run - and it hurts after doing elliptical style cardio as well, just not as much - have considered going to a friend of mine who is a chiropractor, but cannot seem to get myself to try it.

unclepooty
04-22-2008, 12:12
Good for you guys! stay motivated:smiley32:

fire diver
04-22-2008, 12:38
Congrats on getting started. Most people never get off the couch to begin with. You're doing great. Just hang in there. You can do it!

Jaymeany
04-22-2008, 18:07
Footwear is huge when it comes to injuries and running. If you have a Fleet Feet Sports near you I would check them out. They will make sure you have the biomechanically correct footwear. If you have any training questions PM me. I am a high school track coach and I ran 5ks professionally for Adidas. good luck!

Foo2
04-23-2008, 08:26
Footwear is huge when it comes to injuries and running. If you have a Fleet Feet Sports near you I would check them out. They will make sure you have the biomechanically correct footwear. If you have any training questions PM me. I am a high school track coach and I ran 5ks professionally for Adidas. good luck!

Thanks! I just checked out their website and unfortunately the closest one is 185 miles from me.:smiley19: Maybe I can find something similar to it in my area. Or if I just happen to be in Edmond, OK... Thanks for the offer of tips! I may take you up on that before it's all over. :smiley20:

Foo2
04-23-2008, 08:44
This morning i did run #2! It was much better than Monday. I guess it helps when you do the correct workout. Anyway, I'm crazy sore and I'm ready for that part to be over. I've dramatically increased my water intake, and I can already feel the difference. Anyway...that's how it went today!

No Misses
04-23-2008, 09:12
:hidesbehindsofa::clap: <-- That's me. Cheering you on, from my couch. Keep up the good work!

thor
04-25-2008, 12:21
Good for you Foo2. When I first read the thread I thought it was going to be about watching a marathon from your couch.

Chondromalacia Patella. Bummer. I have the same thing from years of skiing. It sometimes feels like somebody is stabbing me with an ice-pick right in the center of my knee cap. Does that sound about right?

A couple of things have helped me tremendously.

1) Strengthen the calf and quad muscles uniformly.
2) Avoid running on hard surfaces. Run on grass or a soft track.
3) Proper shoes.

Take This Simple Test To Learn Your Foot Type (http://www****nnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html)
Check out this link to see what shoes might be good for you. The proper shoes made a huge difference.

Foo2
04-28-2008, 10:07
I started week #2's workouts this morning. 90 secs jogging and 2 mins walking for 20 mins. Doesn't sound hard.....SO WHY WAS IT?!?! Man I'm so out of shape. But, I'm no longer sore. :D I didn't wanna wake up this morning, it was cold and I haven't had much sleep, but I'm glad I did now. My jogging buddy was feeling the same way. She said,"Just say the word and I'll go right back home and come tomorrow instead." NO WAY! We can't start that kind of stuff this early or we'll never make it. I was like, "Not a chance...I'm already here." I'm so thankful that there is a program like this to get lazy people going!

Ryanh1801
04-28-2008, 12:48
Couch to 5K is a great program. I did it last year when I was recovering from my ACL/ Meniscus surgery. One thing someone already said is you really should go get fitted for a good shoe that is made for your foot. Doing only 5K you probably will be fine, but anything more than that at a time and a proper shoe is a must to prevent injury.

Run on Texas, is a great store in the DFW area, their staff is great and very knowledgeable. Most shoes are just under 100 bucks so not a bad investment. Make sure to take the shoes you have been running in. They will watch you walk and look at your old shoes to look at ware patterns.

Also you will want to replace your shoes every 350-450 miles put on them.

Good luck with the program, and keep at it, you will be glad you did. I would suggest finding a 5K or 10K to sign up for, and make it a goal to finish the program and run in it, that is a great motivator to keep up with it.

elijahb
04-28-2008, 13:41
This should help you air consumption

Foo2
05-05-2008, 12:12
We started week #3 this morning, although we are repeating last weeks work out instead of moving on. I'm ready to move on, but my friend isn't. That's ok. It won't hurt me to keep doing it. It's still a good workout! I felt good this morning! It is getting easier and easier for me. I'm pushing myself and I can already tell my endurance is increasing. This is becoming more fun. (Now that the pain is gone.)

skippy11
05-06-2008, 22:23
Foo2, I think my sister and I are going to try this too. She hates to run (so do I), but this looks like a good program. Maybe I can talk her into it. Keep up the good work.

Foo2
05-07-2008, 12:08
Foo2, I think my sister and I are going to try this too. She hates to run (so do I), but this looks like a good program. Maybe I can talk her into it. Keep up the good work.

Go for it skippy! I can guarantee you that it is much more fun with a buddy! (If you can call it fun) You can do it!

aaronle06
05-15-2008, 01:09
one morning when i was up early i started to feel energetic. keep in mind that I was a hardcore gamer and my computer was my life. I get the feeling that i could Run forever. So i get the idea at 6am to run a few miles because I want to. I start going 1.5miles out from my house(i used mapquest yay!) so total was 3miles of running/walking. The next morning I ante up the distance and I go for a total of 5 miles, then 7.5 the following day. After the 4 days of running/walking I did 7miles out, and omg. I was sooo tired when i got back everything below the waistline hurt and my metabolism was through the roof. I couldn't find enough food in my pantry that was healthy keep my stomach full.

No Misses
07-18-2008, 16:04
:smilie40:
I was reading the 100 pushups in 6 weeks thread and I got the idea to check on the progress of the folks in the Couch to 5k thread. Zzzz
I don't see any recent posts. Did we fall off the wagon?

matt151617
07-21-2008, 22:38
I was reading the 100 pushups in 6 weeks thread and I got the idea to check on the progress of the folks in the Couch to 5k thread. Zzzz
I don't see any recent posts. Did we fall off the wagon?

Lol I did the same. I got some motivation now from doing the push ups program, so my next step is running and burning up some stomach flab.

Foo2
07-22-2008, 11:24
I'm still doing the program. I took about a month off for various reasons...but am back on track. I'm planning my first race for Nov. 22!

No Misses
07-22-2008, 11:46
Foo2, congratulations!

The only race that I am in is the human race. Some may say, I'm not even qualified for that one :-)

SlvrDragon50
07-22-2008, 13:11
:P I wish I could do a 5k running the whole time

I was so slow on my first 5k..

Bigg_Budd
07-22-2008, 15:01
The only race that I am in is the human race.

I'm knee deep in the rat race...

MConnelly2
07-25-2008, 21:31

Yeah, that doesn't lend itself to running very well. I have the same issue with my right knee, along with a couple tears that I had cleaned up a couple years ago. That's why I prefer swimming to running. Absolutely despise running, just because it used to always mean sharp shooting pain going down stairs for a week. I have to run 1.5 miles in 12:51 twice a year for work, though, so I've been running once or twice a week lately, and haven't had any issues. I've been using a hinged brace, same one I used pre-arthroscopy, and it does a great job of keeping everything tracking straight, and I've had NO knee pain from running - that's a new concept for me. I've been ready to die from wearing long warmup pants in 80 degree humid heat, but I'm too prideful to let anyone see the hinged brace hiding underneath the long pants..

FishOuttaWater
07-27-2008, 10:19
I really don't like running, but this looks like a program that will help get me into gear. I am going to do the 100 pushup routine too or I might combine it with a pullup program as well. I got to find some good running shoes though. Maybe Scuba Toys can start selling running shoes to us!

drako
07-28-2008, 08:36
Im a big guy, but have gained some weight over the years. Hate running....have meniscus damage from playing high school ball. This sounds great though...Im gonna get on it today! Thank you for posting this up.

bubble-head
08-26-2008, 11:51
I've be following the Body for Life program for 6 weeks and I do the C25K on my cardio days 3 x per week. Both really work well. I'm down 15 pounds already. Currently, I'm on Week 6, Day 2.

GIFFMANN
08-26-2008, 13:22
Do a search on iTunes for the podcast of this program. Really helps as the guy calls out the intervals. You can just focus on running and not worry about messing with your stopwatch.

mrbheagney
09-03-2008, 19:41
I'm nor seriously out of shape but I have started this. One two days ago and about to go again. I was completely stuffed after it though so my fitness level ovbiously sucks. Thanks.

mrbheagney
09-03-2008, 20:23
That was a bit easier this time around, feels goot to get the blood pumping.

Foo2
09-03-2008, 21:25
Before long you'll be addicted. On days that I normally run and don't get to, I'm feeling like a slob and am needing to release energy. BTW, I'm going in the morning! Week 5 Day 1, here I come!

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 01:06
This can get anyones ass off the couch. The island I live on is a twenty minute run across from one coast to the other through thick jungle so it works great.

bubble-head
09-07-2008, 10:24
I'm kind of stuck on Week 7. On Friday, I ran 2.40 in 27 minutes. I haven't felt ready to move on to Week 8 yet so I've been working on running a bit quicker and closer to the 2.5 miles. Shin splints have long been a problem and I think I may be behind them.